It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Here's a link to a simple Quake 2 patch that adds widescreen support and a few other things without drastically changing the game at all: http://leray.proboards.com/thread/3258/quake2-24-unofficial-patch-released

I tried it with the gog version and it works just fine.
Post edited October 01, 2015 by haydenaurion
IMHO the best source port is Yamagi Quake 2. It started as a Linux only port, but it runs on Windows and OS X as well. But there are only Windows binaries. Linux and OS X users are expected to compile it on their own.
Is the Berserker mod for Quake II any good?
IronArcturus: Is the Berserker mod for Quake II any good?
Thank you for reminding me. I tried it when it was first released. I didn't like it that much, but then I'm not part of te target audience (I generally don't like incomplete graphic enhancements).

--

There is another active source port, that I haven't tried in a long time: KMQuake2
IronArcturus: Is the Berserker mod for Quake II any good?
mk47at: Thank you for reminding me. I tried it when it was first released. I didn't like it that much, but then I'm not part of te target audience (I generally don't like incomplete graphic enhancements).

--

There is another active source port, that I haven't tried in a long time: KMQuake2
So is KMQuake2 the most complete mod out there?
mk47at: Thank you for reminding me. I tried it when it was first released. I didn't like it that much, but then I'm not part of te target audience (I generally don't like incomplete graphic enhancements).

--

IronArcturus: So is KMQuake2 the most complete mod out there?
Out of the two that I would choose from, KM seems to focus on graphics and Yamagi on stability and bug fixes. If you want to play coop, you should be better off using Yamagi's version. The original release of Quake 2 didn't include coop, it was added as a patch by Id Software some time later and it had lot's of bugs (e.g. concerning pointers).
mk47at: Out of the two that I would choose from, KM seems to focus on graphics and Yamagi on stability and bug fixes. If you want to play coop, you should be better off using Yamagi's version. The original release of Quake 2 didn't include coop, it was added as a patch by Id Software some time later and it had lot's of bugs (e.g. concerning pointers).
So does GOG's version of Q2 use the original engine? Or did they add some enhancements to the game?
mk47at: Out of the two that I would choose from, KM seems to focus on graphics and Yamagi on stability and bug fixes. If you want to play coop, you should be better off using Yamagi's version. The original release of Quake 2 didn't include coop, it was added as a patch by Id Software some time later and it had lot's of bugs (e.g. concerning pointers).
IronArcturus: So does GOG's version of Q2 use the original engine? Or did they add some enhancements to the game?
I don't know. I'm not allowed to buy it. :-(

But I've got it on CD.
mk47at: I don't know. I'm not allowed to buy it. :-(
:(

I really wish there could be some kind of campaign in Germany to get rid of those archaic laws. It's really unfair that German gamers still can't play the most popular id Software games out there.
mk47at: I don't know. I'm not allowed to buy it. :-(
IronArcturus: :(

I really wish there could be some kind of campaign in Germany to get rid of those archaic laws. It's really unfair that German gamers still can't play the most popular id Software games out there.
The magnitude of the problem was increased with the rise of digital distribution. Before that it was possible to buy the CDs/DVDs in some stores that cared enough to check the age of the customers, but that is a thing of the past. The most depressing thing is that companies get pressured into censoring everything by themselves, because they fear the advertising bans.

--

Enought OT:

I assume they use the original engine, they did with Quake 1.

--

I don't have the game on GOG (yet, that is) but I do have it from elsewhere, and I found running it via KMQuake2 was the best option for me. There is an unofficial patch by the same person should you want to use the existing Quake 2 game engine, but he went on to create the KMQuake2 source port. KMQuake2 runs the expansion packs, too, and plays the between level videos.

You could always give the unofficial patch a try to see how the original engine works for you, and then compare it to playing via KMQuake2 and see which you prefer.
korell: I don't have the game on GOG (yet, that is) but I do have it from elsewhere, and I found running it via KMQuake2 was the best option for me. There is an unofficial patch by the same person should you want to use the existing Quake 2 game engine, but he went on to create the KMQuake2 source port. KMQuake2 runs the expansion packs, too, and plays the between level videos.

You could always give the unofficial patch a try to see how the original engine works for you, and then compare it to playing via KMQuake2 and see which you prefer.
So with the KMQ2 mod, it just works automatically with the Q2 expansions? Or does the user have to move the files around to get the mod to detect everything?
This was a dumb post; I didn't realise the hi-res extras were just the level shots, not in-game. Ignore!
Post edited October 02, 2015 by Fairfox
If you want better gfx, try Quake2XP

http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-2-xp

It's very nice, but I prefer GL_NEAREST :-D
Looks like the software renderer, but with al the effects of the OpenGL version
mk47at: IMHO the best source port is Yamagi Quake 2. It started as a Linux only port, but it runs on Windows and OS X as well. But there are only Windows binaries. Linux and OS X users are expected to compile it on their own.
When using Yamagi with GOG's version the music doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get it to work?
Post edited October 02, 2015 by Crosmando