It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

jepeman: I have the latest resolution patch (HD-V3) installed and it seems to work fine except I have black bars at top and bottom.

I have a 16:9 monitor (native resolution 1920x1080) so I chose the 1280x720 option. In the launcher settings the "Framed" option keeps getting ticked on even when I disable it. The "Cinemascope" option is enabled, if I disable it the game cuts the image from bottom (can't seebelow Cutter's waist).

Any tips on getting rid of the black bars? Also is it possible to have a higher resolution like 1920x1080?

Edit: Well, choosing a 4:3 resolution seems to "fix" the black bars problem. I did notice another curious side effect of increasing the resolution: your map gets smaller/more zoomed in (as in you see less of your surroundings) the higher resolution you choose.
ankmyrandor: what are you other preferences ? because i don't have the black bars with the cinemascope on 1280x720, but with cinemascope it will crash, and i thought that was fixed. back to without cinemascope it works fine, but half of cutter slade is out of the screen. which is disappointing especially when you are riding a twon-ha :(
Just rechecked my options, havent actually gotten around to playing the game yet aside from the tutorial long ago thanks to Gothic 1.

Resolution - 640x480 (ie 4:3, low resolution so the map works properly and there isnt a huge difference graphically)
Framed - ON (it always rechecks itself automatically for some reason)
Cinemascoped - OFF
So, I was re-installing Outcast after yonks and applied the language selector and HD V3 patch from zenger.
Both work like a charm and without any problems. But there was another file/fix/patch but I don't know what it was for. It's called deadfix and includes the files "presentationHI3.pak" & "presentationHI4.pak".

If you want to take a look, here is the file.
http://www.mediafire.com/?cvecuy2byzp6fv1

I can't remember why I downloaded it and what it actually does.
Does anyone know what the deadfix.rar was for?
LyR: So, I was re-installing Outcast after yonks and applied the language selector and HD V3 patch from zenger.
Both work like a charm and without any problems. But there was another file/fix/patch but I don't know what it was for. It's called deadfix and includes the files "presentationHI3.pak" & "presentationHI4.pak".

If you want to take a look, here is the file.
http://www.mediafire.com/?cvecuy2byzp6fv1

I can't remember why I downloaded it and what it actually does.
Does anyone know what the deadfix.rar was for?
hopefully this is the dead-animation bugfix for the cinematoscope resolutions / 1280 x 720 for example.
does anyone here know how to open these then ?! :P because sadly i have no clue how to use these.

edit:

okay LyR you are a hero, these were the files that everyone was looking for, including me. this fixes the death crash for cinemascope resolutions :)

just extract these files in your outcast folder and overwrite the old files, i can confirm that it works with the 1280 x 720 resolution with cinemascope on :D

I also put up this file on my own domain so it won't get lost again

http://www.ankmyrandor.com/outcast/outcast-deadfix.rar
Post edited April 25, 2013 by ankmyrandor
cheers, that last thing from lyr worked! stoked, can now play pretty much fullscreen on my widescreen lappy!
Could some here possibly enlighten me here? Is the 1st screenshot on this page... :

www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-OUTCAST/outcast

...a result of the high res patch? It is far more advanced than the other two screens or those found here on the GOG listing : www.gog.com/gamecard/outcast
Attachments:
whaaa.jpg (78 Kb)
AKKADIAN: Could some here possibly enlighten me here? Is the 1st screenshot on this page... :

www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-OUTCAST/outcast

...a result of the high res patch? It is far more advanced than the other two screens or those found here on the GOG listing : www.gog.com/gamecard/outcast
Yeah, I don't know why they put that there. False advertising if I ever saw it...
It's from an unofficial sequel made in Cryengine: http://www.moddb.com/mods/open-outcast
Can the first post be edited to include the working download links by a mod or the OP? It would be convenient.
delicieuxz: Can the first post be edited to include the working download links by a mod or the OP? It would be convenient.
http://outcastii.free.fr/www/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633&sid=f1fd2fc24da947e5ebfe1053f2b76afa
Post edited July 03, 2013 by noddles
Is it possible to play the game at 1280x720 without the top and bottom black bars? I tried to uncheck the Framed option, but it always turn back on by itself.

EDIT: I just fixed the problem by changing the monitor scaling method to stretch/GPU on Nvdia Control Panel and turning the cinematoscope option on. Now the game is running fullscreen at 1280x720 with the proper 16:9 aspect ratio. It looks amazing!
Post edited July 04, 2013 by QueenCercil
thanks, zanger for the awesome work! you truly made myself happy :-) with this patch, the game is totally playable and looks like it should ;)

i also had the problem with the loader-icons not clickable. my solution was as mentionend before in this thread:
1. install game
2. install patch
3. edit the Pentium III 550+ 64 Mb.ini with the selected resolution.

worked perfectly!
I tried installing the HD V3 patch and the game still won't run with a decent resolution.I get massive black borders and a tiny rectangle as the game screen.Changing the patch options resolutions only results in changing how big/distorted the game menus become.

I tried changing the scaling options on my graphics card control center but nothing helped.Did anyone else have this problem?Attachment related, it's the black borders, game screen and distorted menu that comes with the patch.

EDIT: It seems as if the game executes in 640x580 resolution by default and because of that the menus become distorted.I tried checking compatibility options for the exe files and none are set to run on low resolution!What's the matter with this?

EDIT 2: Heh, never mind, I solved it.
Attachments:
why.jpg (191 Kb)
Post edited July 20, 2013 by Gibom1
Gibom1: I tried installing the HD V3 patch and the game still won't run with a decent resolution.I get massive black borders and a tiny rectangle as the game screen.Changing the patch options resolutions only results in changing how big/distorted the game menus become.

I tried changing the scaling options on my graphics card control center but nothing helped.Did anyone else have this problem?Attachment related, it's the black borders, game screen and distorted menu that comes with the patch.

EDIT: It seems as if the game executes in 640x580 resolution by default and because of that the menus become distorted.I tried checking compatibility options for the exe files and none are set to run on low resolution!What's the matter with this?

EDIT 2: Heh, never mind, I solved it.
how did you solve it?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out too.
Post edited July 25, 2013 by DarthBrady
Is it normal for there to be a vertical line at each of the four ordinal directions (northeast, southeast, southwest, northwest) where the level of detail changes as you move the camera? I understand the LOD changing as I get closer to objects. But it's very strange that you can see it change at those directions as you turn the camera standing in one place. I'm using V3 of the patch at 1280x960.

See these pictures below. The first one is looking south east. Notice the stairs. The second one is looking southwest. The LOD is high resolution looking south (and north) but not east (or west). Bizarre. Is that how the game normally is?

By the way, in case anyone in the future is wondering how to use the new high resolution after the two goofballs above failed to let everyone else know what they discovered: go to the loader, click change settings, then click the performance settings button on the right, and finally click the down arrow on the left. Change resolution to HIGH RES.
Attachments:
tooler: Is it normal for there to be a vertical line at each of the four ordinal directions (northeast, southeast, southwest, northwest) where the level of detail changes as you move the camera? I understand the LOD changing as I get closer to objects. But it's very strange that you can see it change at those directions as you turn the camera standing in one place. I'm using V3 of the patch at 1280x960.

See these pictures below. The first one is looking south east. Notice the stairs. The second one is looking southwest. The LOD is high resolution looking south (and north) but not east (or west). Bizarre. Is that how the game normally is?

By the way, in case anyone in the future is wondering how to use the new high resolution after the two goofballs above failed to let everyone else know what they discovered: go to the loader, click change settings, then click the performance settings button on the right, and finally click the down arrow on the left. Change resolution to HIGH RES.
it even goes that far that elements dissapear while you rotate, all those lines and the lod problems were also in the game when it was released in 1999 , I can remember this very well. but you don't play this game for the graphics ;)
it has quite some flaws, but it was software rendering. you play this game for the superb experience :) in a while you won't notice all the visual bugs anymore.
Ok...
None of the download links in this thread work, and neither do the ones I found with Google.
Could someone please link an updated download link, or re-upload the patch.

Thanks in advance.