It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What the title states. I am curious as to whether or not the version 1.69 Critical Rebuild patch has been added to the GoG distributed Neverwinter Nights 1 Diamond Edition yet as I am thinking of redownloading NWN1 again to play, and am not sure if this patch has been added in. If not, can anyone tell me a good place to get it since nwvault was taken down a while ago?

Also anyone got any advice for getting it to work fine on Windows 8.1 32-bit?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
IllusionaryInno: What the title states. I am curious as to whether or not the version 1.69 Critical Rebuild patch has been added to the GoG distributed Neverwinter Nights 1 Diamond Edition yet as I am thinking of redownloading NWN1 again to play, and am not sure if this patch has been added in. If not, can anyone tell me a good place to get it since nwvault was taken down a while ago?

It's not a official patch from Bioware, so no, is not pre-installed. There are some "recent" discussion on the forum with the links to the current download site for the patch.
IllusionaryInno: What the title states. I am curious as to whether or not the version 1.69 Critical Rebuild patch has been added to the GoG distributed Neverwinter Nights 1 Diamond Edition yet as I am thinking of redownloading NWN1 again to play, and am not sure if this patch has been added in. If not, can anyone tell me a good place to get it since nwvault was taken down a while ago?

Belsirk: It's not a official patch from Bioware, so no, is not pre-installed. There are some "recent" discussion on the forum with the links to the current download site for the patch.
Uhhh, I thought the Critical Rebuild WAS official given how it was a re-release of a previous version of the 1.69 patch that fixed some missing resources and was intended to update most versions to 1.69? But alright, I'll go looking for it then.
Belsirk: It's not a official patch from Bioware, so no, is not pre-installed. There are some "recent" discussion on the forum with the links to the current download site for the patch.
IllusionaryInno: Uhhh, I thought the Critical Rebuild WAS official given how it was a re-release of a previous version of the 1.69 patch that fixed some missing resources and was intended to update most versions to 1.69? But alright, I'll go looking for it then.
I could be mistaken then, I don't remember the history behind that and when I stopped playing NWN1 (around 2006) I didn't remember anything about said patch.

However, I have been playing all the OC with the Gog version withouth problem and even some PW as well (Though those without CEP or other hacks). So, no sure how "critical" is that patch to install.
Post edited March 09, 2015 by Belsirk
IllusionaryInno: I am curious as to whether or not the version 1.69 Critical Rebuild patch has been added to the GoG distributed Neverwinter Nights 1 Diamond Edition yet
Yes, it has. And don't let anybody tell you otherwise (because some will).
You should run the 1.69 Critical Rebuild, yes.

Strictly speaking, if you're only doing the official campaigns it *probably* won't matter. Even if you're doing a lot of custom content, you might get lucky and not need it. But many people do, so it's worth taking the 5 minutes to just run it and get it over with to be safe. Think of it as a vaccination of sorts. Some excellent posts on the subject:

http://www.gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/im_thinking_of_picking_this_up_again_but_i_need_to_know_something_1st/post29

http://www.gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/im_thinking_of_picking_this_up_again_but_i_need_to_know_something_1st/post33

http://www.gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/im_thinking_of_picking_this_up_again_but_i_need_to_know_something_1st/post45

http://www.gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/im_thinking_of_picking_this_up_again_but_i_need_to_know_something_1st/post49
Take no notice of MagicalMaster, the proven liar, GOG-hater and self-appointed BSN recruiter. Unless you bork your installation with all sorts of crap, there is absolutely NO need to rebuild your installation with the critical patch. As I have already said, it is included with the GOG version of NWN Diamond, as per your actual question.
Post edited March 09, 2015 by Hickory
That was some good reading in the other thread. :)

I've run NWN with and w/o the critical rebuild. Ages ago, with the non-GOG version, the game needed the critical rebuild to work on one of my PCs, but not the other. These days, the GOG version (edit: w/o the crit rebuild) works on everything.

If you're having any crashes at all, go try the rebuild. I haven't personally had one crash yet on the GOG version.
Post edited March 09, 2015 by Tallima
Hickory: Take no notice of MagicalMaster, the proven liar, GOG-hater and self-appointed BSN recruiter.
This kind of stuff might be a lot more convincing if anyone besides you shared that opinion.
Tallima: If you're having any crashes at all, go try the rebuild. I haven't personally had one crash yet on the GOG version.
The thing is, it's not just about crashes. As Kalbaern said in the other thread...

"I actually wondered if GOG had resolved this recently as I was helping out a trio of folks that got the GOG version in the past month or two and hadn't had any issues. It turns out, as of just the other night, they simply didn't realize they were having issues that could be easily fixed with the rebuild. They all just assumed that NWN was being finicky due to it the game's age and their relatively new computers being not quite compatible."

The 1.69 Critical Rebuild can often fix a lot of minor issues. It's not a guarantee, it's not magic, but it still helps a significant percentage of people.

I mean, really, ask yourself this question: would you rather take 5 minutes to install the critical rebuild or risk wasting hours dealing with issues down the line?

Even if the chance of you having a problem (that the critical rebuild fixes) is like...10-20%...why not just do it now to be safe? It's not like it takes hours to do or involves complicated steps.
Hickory: Take no notice of MagicalMaster, the proven liar, GOG-hater and self-appointed BSN recruiter.
MagicalMaster: This kind of stuff might be a lot more convincing if anyone besides you shared that opinion.
Anybody other than your buddies over at BSN, who you cried to and pointed in this direction you mean? You have no credibility with anybody else, so don't fool yourself.
I'll be blunt. Can we keep to the topic at hand instead of stupid trivial disagreements that have nothing to do with the topic?

Found out about the new Neverwinter Vault, and will download and install the Critical Rebuild if I have too many crashes.
IllusionaryInno: I'll be blunt. Can we keep to the topic at hand instead of stupid trivial disagreements that have nothing to do with the topic?
Sure.

IllusionaryInno: Found out about the new Neverwinter Vault, and will download and install the Critical Rebuild if I have too many crashes.
You're entirely missing the point of the problem. To quote my previous post...
MagicalMaster: The thing is, it's not just about crashes. As Kalbaern said in the other thread...

"I actually wondered if GOG had resolved this recently as I was helping out a trio of folks that got the GOG version in the past month or two and hadn't had any issues. It turns out, as of just the other night, they simply didn't realize they were having issues that could be easily fixed with the rebuild. They all just assumed that NWN was being finicky due to it the game's age and their relatively new computers being not quite compatible."

The 1.69 Critical Rebuild can often fix a lot of minor issues. It's not a guarantee, it's not magic, but it still helps a significant percentage of people.

I mean, really, ask yourself this question: would you rather take 5 minutes to install the critical rebuild or risk wasting hours dealing with issues down the line?

Even if the chance of you having a problem (that the critical rebuild fixes) is like...10-20%...why not just do it now to be safe? It's not like it takes hours to do or involves complicated steps.
But hey, your funeral.

Just please install it before you start asking people for technical help on non-crash related issues, because many of us are rather sick of seeing this happen again and again and again.
Post edited March 10, 2015 by MagicalMaster

The current GoG download is patched to 1.69. Most issues stem from driver incompatibilities, hardware incompatibilities, both or one of the things mentioned below.

To run it under Windows 8x systems, just make certain you run it as an administrator along with running it in XP Service Pack 3 mode. Service Pack 2 can also work if 3 is not an option.

In some cases, folks can play campaigns or even join an online PW, but their toolset may crash, quick test mode fails or various other issues are encountered. If you experience toolset difficulties, you should move your NWN install to C:/NeverwinterNights/NWN instead**. This normally resolves any issues.

As a last option, you can always run the 1.69 Critical Rebuild, but I've narrowed down recently that on newer systems, its often "where" NWN got installed that is part of the issue. Make certain you move NWN to C:/NeverwinterNights/NWN prior to bothering with the rebuild**.

If you previously had a disk version of NWN on the same computer, but long ago deleted it and are now reinstalling using GoG, you can have issues stemming from the original registry not having been removed during the last uninstall. this is one case where moving the directory then running the rebuild is most often the cure.

When you download NWN here, simply having it install to C:/NeverwinterNights/NWN prevents most issues. To change the installation path in the GOG installer, when prompted click the "options" or "customize" button and change the default path GOG inputs into the installation field to c://NeverwinterNights/NWN. Its that simple.

**In some cases, you can't simply manually move the NWN install without causing other issues as you'll break its registry. Uninstall NWN then use the GoG installer to reinstall it in the proper location instead.

Depending on the make, model and OS of your computer, there can be other issues that are affecting your game play, generally in the form of lag or random crashing. There are technical self help topics that can be found and searched (far easier than the topics here) over on the Bioware Social Network. You don't need an EA account to view them, but would need to register there if you wanted to make a post. Link to Tech Support Boards: [url=]http://forum.bioware.com/forum/172-technical-support/[/url]

With the closure of IGN's NWN Vault pages, the community has created a replacement and is migrating old content over to it constantly. You can find the replacement at: http://neverwintervault.org/

There is also an "irc" chat channel you can usually find someone to assist you live located on the New NWN Vault. Just look for and click on the Kiwi Chat tab normally found on the left hand side of the main page linked above.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

There are still cases where after all else, the critical rebuild cured someone's issues. Of folks I've personally assisted lately, there's just not enough evidence to "prove" the rebuild was the cure or it just happened to be one of several things a player has done and "suddenly" they could play. Nor can the rebuild curing issues be ruled out in these cases, yet. One phenomenon that is cured, is when after weeks, months, years of normal play NWN has issues. NWN is pretty write intensive and folks that don't defrag regularly can experience crashes or lag for no apparent reason. In some cases, if not addressed properly, the installation itself will break and the 1.69 Critical Rebuild usually restores things. Best advice, defrag at least monthly, especially if you spend a lot of time online web surfing, chatting, watching videos, Emailing, etc... .
Post edited March 11, 2015 by kalbaern