It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Qiaosi: Would you be so kind as to point out the line in the manual that would answer my question?
DarzaR: No, as there are more than one such line possible, alternatively relevant to it, as your question is very vaguely described. So it would be not reasonably to copy all of them here, as they are already collected in manual.
Vaguely described? ... alright.

The manual says to find the folder containing the files containing BUILD.CFG, BUILD0.CFG, ... BUILD9.CFG. I open BUILD.CFG using a text editor and change the order of the buildings, save and close it. I then run the game, but the changes I made don't take effect.

So again, my question is, is there anything else that needs to be done in order for these changes to take effect?
Post edited July 02, 2020 by Qiaosi
Qiaosi: The manual says to folder containing the files containing BUILD.CFG, BUILD0.CFG, ... BUILD9.CFG. I open BUILD.CFG using a text editor and change the order of the buildings, save and close it. I then run the game, but the changes I made don't take effect.

So again, my question is, is there anything else that needs to be done in order for these changes to take effect?
Ok, now im more into version 2, as the answer to it would be "Yes, RTFM".
Qiaosi: The manual says to folder containing the files containing BUILD.CFG, BUILD0.CFG, ... BUILD9.CFG. I open BUILD.CFG using a text editor and change the order of the buildings, save and close it. I then run the game, but the changes I made don't take effect.

DarzaR: Ok, now im more into version 2, as the answer to it would be "Yes, RTFM".
Ok, well thank you for your time DarzaR.

Unfortunately, it seems I will just have to wait for someone else with more expertise than you.
Qiaosi: Unfortunately, it seems I will just have to wait for someone else with more expertise than you.
You'll grow really old.
Qiaosi: ...
When I try changing the build queue lists, any changes I make in the build.cfg files doesn't change anything in the game.

Besides making changes and saving them, is there anything else I need to do to make the changes actually work?
Did you use the related 11 keyboad shortcuts, (shift+) Q and 0-9, as described on page 9 of the manual and nothing happened?
When I try changing the build queue lists, any changes I make in the build.cfg files doesn't change anything in the game.

Besides making changes and saving them, is there anything else I need to do to make the changes actually work?
townltu: Did you use the related 11 keyboad shortcuts, (shift+) Q and 0-9, as described on page 9 of the manual and nothing happened?
I can use the default build queue lists no problem. Q, 0-9. They all work fine.

What I want to do is change them.

I tried small changes in the BUILD.CFG file, just moving some things around in the build order. I've tried replacing the files completely. No matter what I do, pressing those keys during the game only brings up the default build queue lists.
I can use the default build queue lists no problem. Q, 0-9. They all work fine.

What I want to do is change them.

I tried small changes in the BUILD.CFG file, just moving some things around in the build order. I've tried replacing the files completely. No matter what I do, pressing those keys during the game only brings up the default build queue lists.
Think i understand it now, that supports my 1st guess the issue could be OS related,
is the game installed in an UAC protected folder like program files x86 ?

If so windows may rerout some files to personal folder,
in case either find folder/files and edit the build lists there,
optionally have the game installed in an unprotected folder and try agasin
Post edited July 03, 2020 by townltu
Can we change the election rules in the new mods? I was playing 1.50.18.1 improved+picks, won the election against the Human, but did not accept the ruling, so the Human declared war on me, and the other 6 races were eliminated right away. Can we change that? I mean, seems kinda rough. It's not like I bombed anybody.
PsilonFighter:
Do not vote on yourself unless you want to win and end the game.
PsilonFighter:
Themken: Do not vote on yourself unless you want to win and end the game.
Yeah, I know, I had to vote for Silicoids a few times even though they were always attacking me. LOL
PsilonFighter: Can we change that?
Change that to what? From some effect, caused by elections to no effect at all? You can set delay of meetings to make them roughly happens only once with config, thus roughly "cause no effect at all" from them.
Qiaosi, it sounds like you are editing one build.cfg, and the game is using a different one. Depending on your installation you can have several in different locations - I believe the default that is used on GOG installations is in (your top MOO2 directory)\150\build. So NOT the build.cfg in your top/main MOO2 directory!

As far as I know, the manual doesn't cover this, and it's easy to get messed up in a repeatedly-patched installation.
Post edited July 26, 2020 by legraf
low rated
legraf: As far as I know, the manual doesn't cover this
ORLY
legraf: and it's easy
Yes, just RTFM indeed
DarzaR: Yes, just RTFM indeed
Oh, please. You can in fact figure it out by reading the entire 130-page patch manual, but NOT in the section of the manual which deals with build.cfg or the Build Queue feature. A mention of where the default build.cfg file is looked for is buried in the section on editing orion2.cfg (50 pages after the build queue information), but that is not a useful user-facing way of presenting the information, since a user has no reason to suspect orion2.cfg has anything to do with build queues, nor any reason to suspect there is more than one build.cfg file in their installation.

The manual, for this, is essentially worthless, whereas a forum on the game is a perfect place to get this very simple and reasonable bit of information.

A user wanting to use a simple (and great) feature should not be scorned for not having a developer-level understanding of the program.
Post edited July 27, 2020 by legraf
legraf: .
Thats good what you did read manual now. Realizing the concept of being able to in fact figure a stuff out by reading the entire 130-page patch manual is a real major time-saving breakthrough. For that i'll present you with a real magic as a reward - The Search Function. Its usually called by the cheat code ctrl+f on many applications, but it could not always be a case, so better refer to manual of the program you're using to read. That magic function solve literally all of your worries expressed here, as you literally can search for a stuff you need at the certain moment even if it spanned over literally thousands of pages in a really short time. Its a real life quality improve, that thing.

Note, that when somebody is claiming he did read the stuff he's asked to read, even if its whooping 130 (!!!) pages (and its with pictures included in count, omg), others have to see this claim as, well, what he did read it. No matter the pages span between mentions is. Thats why i asked him to RTFM, and not went into pointing of various pages that could be of interest of him (as with so horrible vaguely described problem as he did it will just be a silly guessing game). Cos all the possibilities would be covered this way at once instead.

On the other hand, its generally good to read manual even if to prevent wasting of every else's time by asking to write answers on a subjects already covered there (and if one wouldnt read it - how would he know if they're do covered there or not). It will really help user on a matters what he should have reasons to suspect and whats have something to do with something and whats not. Also it would save a possible need to write misleading information irresponsibly safeguarded with disclaimers like "I believe" or "As far as I know", as you would be able to provide an outright correct answer instead if needed. Thats not even mentioning the manual in question contains quite enough useful reading on a game stuff to improve a newbie's knowledge about game he supposedly into, beside more "technical" information.

A user wanting to use a simple (and great) feature should be able to write an actual problem he encountered, and not turn it into silly guessing game (where townltu and you volunteered to participate). Very ideally he better shouldnt try to pull a non-existent "quotes" out of something and claim them being from the manual he supposedly did read. Also it helps to not try to "bite" ones who helping him with stuff in their own time. It would greatly improve his chances on a success, thats it.

And ofc all the above isnt anything close to a developer-level understanding of the program, nobody expect or demand it. Its only about most basic thing, say ability to read, or ability to do some simply things that you are asked to do if its needed to solve your own problem.
Post edited July 28, 2020 by DarzaR