It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

srhill: First game on 1.50.9. Not sure if it's a bug or a feature. :)

Attacked Antares and won. By bizarre coincidence, the attack took place on the same date as a Galactic Council vote. After the battle, the game didn't end immediately, but instead went to the vote, which I also won. So my end-of-game score reflects both destroying Antares and winning the election. (The multiplier comes from unused Evolutionary Mutation points.)
abbayarra: I am starting a game. I am patched up to 1.50.9. I'm not sure of the options so I am choosing 1.5 improved. I did notice one issue when I exit the game. I am playing in full screen. When I exit the game the desktop is all messed up. There is a black bar on the top and bottom of the screen. It makes it very difficult to do anything else. I have to reboot the computer with the power button. Do I need to change a setting?
srhill: You could check your system for updated graphics drivers and see if that resolves anything, but odds are that you'll need to avoid the situation entirely by playing in windowed mode (i.e., at a lower resolution). The higher resolutions are larger than what my monitor will support, always cutting off parts of the screen, so I'm stuck in 640x480.
Yeah, that's a nice one eh, getting a vote after taking antares.
I have seen it before. Quill18 also had this situation in one of his playthroughs on youtube.
It's a bit quirky way to end the game but I think its fun that its possible to win with both.
Btw, it's also possible to defeat all 7 opponents and attack the Antaran HW if you time it right, so you get 2x wins in that way also.

About resolution; launcher allows you to manually input a resolution in addtion to the default options. For example you can try '800x600' if that is still supported by your monitor.

About playing full screen: it can cause problems on some systems after exiting the game. Have you tried alt+ENTER to go back to windowed mode before exiting orion? Not sure if it helps, but it's worth a try. Also, have you tried to manually adjust resolution when desktop is messed up, (in windows via context menu by right clicking anywhere on screen) ?
Post edited September 25, 2017 by Rocco.40
abbayarra: I am playing in full screen ... desktop is all messed up
As guys have already said, this is likely an issue with your hardware / drivers. But instead of fixing system you can try to walkaround by editing file 150\dosbox.conf in game directory. Find line:

## fullresolution=

and change it to

fullresolution=1024x768

, but instead of 1024x768 specify normal resolution for your screen. Now run the game in full screen. DOSBox shouldn't be changing video mode in this case, so after exiting the game desktop should be fine. Let us know if it works.
Post edited September 25, 2017 by Alex.150
Rocco.40: About resolution; launcher allows you to manually input a resolution in addtion to the default options. For example you can try '800x600' if that is still supported by your monitor.
Is there a way to use scalers on a custom resolution? Playing anything bigger than 640x480 results in some pretty ugly graphical distortion.

Also, is there a way to change wormhole colors now that orion2.cfg has been deprecated?
srhill: .
Its called User.cfg now.
Something funny might be happening here, not sure what. After the GNN report on the next turn, the galaxy map briefly fades to black before coming up again. That's usually a symptom of the game trying (and failing) to do something.

SAVE7.GAM
Post edited September 26, 2017 by srhill
abbayarra: I am playing in full screen ... desktop is all messed up
Alex.150: As guys have already said, this is likely an issue with your hardware / drivers. But instead of fixing system you can try to walkaround by editing file 150\dosbox.conf in game directory. Find line:

## fullresolution=

and change it to

fullresolution=1024x768

, but instead of 1024x768 specify normal resolution for your screen. Now run the game in full screen. DOSBox shouldn't be changing video mode in this case, so after exiting the game desktop should be fine. Let us know if it works.
Hello,
I should of thought of it myself. I've been editing Dosbox configurations forever. It worked and now I don't have that issue any longer. The hardest part was finding the correct dosbox config file.
Thank you so very much for your help.
Post edited September 26, 2017 by abbayarra
srhill: Is there a way to use scalers on a custom resolution? Playing anything bigger than 640x480 results in some pretty ugly graphical distortion.
I think no, scaler can only double or tripple resolution (but not sure, better check with dosbox docs).

Regarding distortion, did you try other outputs, e.g. ddraw and openglnb? Also try 960x720, should scale better.
Alex.150: Regarding distortion, did you try other outputs, e.g. ddraw and openglnb? Also try 960x720, should scale better.
ddraw works much better, thanks!
A couple of odd things, not sure either of them is really a bug.

I'd like to see surrendering triggered less frequently as a random event. It seems to happen at least once in every game I play--sometimes more frequently--and has caused me to lose more than one game. In this save, on the next turn, two surrenders occur at the same time--one to the player, and one to an AI empire--but only one gets reported through GNN.

SAVE8.GAM

An Antaran interdictor is en route to a player colony and will attack on the next turn. The colony is protected by a star base and some planetary defenses. Normally, a ship of that class would repeatedly raid a battlestation or star fortress--even a heavily armed one--and almost certainly destroy it. However, it makes no raids on the star base, which ultimately destroys it. This isn't the first time I've seen this happen.

SAVE9.GAM
srhill: .
Surrendering is not a random event of a SpaceFlux sort, its not entirely random, its AI decision. ai_surrender_delay can be used to set a turn, prior that a surrender is not happening. About event representation - again, game cannot handle more than one case of a given event to represent it properly in news.

AI raiding is sadly really odd indeed, it tends to ignore it heavily even in easiest cases. As far we know it was always a case in game, we are trying to do some occasional AI fixes, but we cant nail this one yet (it quite bother us too).
Is there android/subterranean foolery that could cause a planet to be below its displayed max population but showing no growth?
srhill: Is there android/subterranean foolery that could cause a planet to be below its displayed max population but showing no growth?
Somebody please correct me if I remember wrong, but do Androids NOT reproduce? IIRC the only way was to build more, or?

And also Androids IIRC do not receive race specific ad- or disadvantages, right?
srhill: Is there android/subterranean foolery that could cause a planet to be below its displayed max population but showing no growth?
Its possible with androids in case of no presence of some tolerant race at same planet, as they do now grow on their own indeed. Shouldnt be a case with subterranean tho, if it happens - a save would be really useful as usual.

Goodaltgamer: And also Androids IIRC do not receive race specific ad- or disadvantages, right?
Right.
Post edited September 30, 2017 by DarzaR
Goodaltgamer: Somebody please correct me if I remember wrong, but do Androids NOT reproduce?
My guess you've been watching futurama or something. In MOO2 androids only reproduce by being built as proper androids should do.
Goodaltgamer: Somebody please correct me if I remember wrong, but do Androids NOT reproduce?
Alex.150: My guess you've been watching futurama or something. In MOO2 androids only reproduce by being built as proper androids should do.
Alex....I suggest you read the sentence again, will you?

What did I say?
Who was watching something while typing ;)