It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wait. What???

Am I understanding correctly that I purchased this pack but I really only got B@K because B@A is broken and/or missing important locations??

Darn it, I'm pretty sure I'm one of GOG's better customers considering the number of games I purchased here, but if I now have to wonder if games are missing locations (how does that even happen??) then I honestly don't know if I can ever purchase another.

Missing locations??? ARe you kidding me???
Post edited March 25, 2012 by OldFatGuy
PKodon: That is my understanding. If you already own the game, just re-download the Betryal at Krondor Pack. Your account page may still list the download at something like 985 MB, but if you use the GOG downloader, it will give a file size of 1.2 GB, according to other posts here.

Okay, I'm reading both here and in the Missing Temple thread (Chapter 1, found here: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/krondor_series/betrayal_at_antara_missing_temple/page1 ) that recently downloaded versions of the game (within the last week) still have the missing temple and other problems. Do you people ever go through the topics or new messages on here and read them to see if you've got a complete list of all bugs found in a game?

And, to those reporting bugs, are you just posting your bugs here, or are you making tickets, as well?
kalle1981: i am just posting here why should i do tickets this should be just a good place as any tickets, isnt GoG team reading these posts or?? and dude if u dont know IF the BiA is updated with a working BiA dont reply
I doubt that the support team is reading every board for bugs on all the games they put out, submitting a ticket would guarantee their attention.
OldFatGuy: Wait. What???

Am I understanding correctly that I purchased this pack but I really only got B@K because B@A is broken and/or missing important locations??

Darn it, I'm pretty sure I'm one of GOG's better customers considering the number of games I purchased here, but if I now have to wonder if games are missing locations (how does that even happen??) then I honestly don't know if I can ever purchase another.

It happens because the BiA GOG has is up to date, with the exception of the last official patch put out by Sierra, which I have, but cannot run, because it is a Windows 3.x program (16-bit Windows on top of MS-DOS), which 32-/64-bit Windows cannot run. All I can gather from what GOG's support staff has been saying here in the forums is that they are doing what they can to get it fixed, but having to do so without applying the official patch.

Now, I asked in the thread about the missing temple if anyone who had purchased the game has Windows 3.x, can run it in DosBox, apply the patch to the GOG installation, run a diff program on the entire directory, and create a patch that WILL run in current Windows systems. I got no response.

I am as eager as anyone to see the problems resolved, but, I understand that there have been both miscommunications within GOG.com over the past months, and I also understand that, while GOG.com may not have the complete solution, yet, they are trying - and where the community COULD help, no one is doing anything but complaining.

Someone out there has Windows 3.1, or 3.11, and could apply the official patch, compare changes and produce a patch. If you need the Official Patch file, you can get it here: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/KrondorSeriesUpdates.html

Thank you GOG team for doing what you can. I'm always impressed by what you ARE able to do, with what you have at your disposal, to make these classic games run on modern systems. I look forward to more Good Old Games, as well as the newer ones you promise in the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------
EDIT: (The following was supposed to be a separate post, but somehow GOG's forum added it to my previous post.)

By the way, just one aside, with regard to compatibility. I recently purchased a game from Gamer's Gate, one of the Tom Clancy games. When I installed it and tried to run it, it crashed. I asked Gamer's Gate what the problem was. Their ONLY reply was to ask me why I was trying to run "such an old game on a modern system".

Even broken, the fact that some of the games we get from GOG.com even run on Windows XP/Vista/7 is a wonder, and they deserve our support and encouragement. Even when communications get lost and fixes get buried/delayed, at least GOG.com is trying to make these games work. I can't say that about other distributors of old games (I can't speak about Steam, as I don't have a Steam account).
Post edited March 26, 2012 by PKodon

PKodon: It happens because the BiA GOG has is up to date, with the exception of the last official patch put out by Sierra, which I have, but cannot run, because it is a Windows 3.x program (16-bit Windows on top of MS-DOS), which 32-/64-bit Windows cannot run. All I can gather from what GOG's support staff has been saying here in the forums is that they are doing what they can to get it fixed, but having to do so without applying the official patch.

Now, I asked in the thread about the missing temple if anyone who had purchased the game has Windows 3.x, can run it in DosBox, apply the patch to the GOG installation, run a diff program on the entire directory, and create a patch that WILL run in current Windows systems. I got no response.

I am as eager as anyone to see the problems resolved, but, I understand that there have been both miscommunications within GOG.com over the past months, and I also understand that, while GOG.com may not have the complete solution, yet, they are trying - and where the community COULD help, no one is doing anything but complaining.

Someone out there has Windows 3.1, or 3.11, and could apply the official patch, compare changes and produce a patch. If you need the Official Patch file, you can get it here: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/KrondorSeriesUpdates.html

Thank you GOG team for doing what you can. I'm always impressed by what you ARE able to do, with what you have at your disposal, to make these classic games run on modern systems. I look forward to more Good Old Games, as well as the newer ones you promise in the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------
EDIT: (The following was supposed to be a separate post, but somehow GOG's forum added it to my previous post.)

By the way, just one aside, with regard to compatibility. I recently purchased a game from Gamer's Gate, one of the Tom Clancy games. When I installed it and tried to run it, it crashed. I asked Gamer's Gate what the problem was. Their ONLY reply was to ask me why I was trying to run "such an old game on a modern system".

Even broken, the fact that some of the games we get from GOG.com even run on Windows XP/Vista/7 is a wonder, and they deserve our support and encouragement. Even when communications get lost and fixes get buried/delayed, at least GOG.com is trying to make these games work. I can't say that about other distributors of old games (I can't speak about Steam, as I don't have a Steam account).
hey gog is awsome but the fact there been ppl complaining on this game over a year now thats not acceptable, tbh GoG should have done what u been asking community to do by now, and ur request is a good on :) anyway where do u request new Good old games :P
kalle1981: i am just posting here why should i do tickets this should be just a good place as any tickets, isnt GoG team reading these posts or?? and dude if u dont know IF the BiA is updated with a working BiA dont reply
deadlyhabit: I doubt that the support team is reading every board for bugs on all the games they put out, submitting a ticket would guarantee their attention.
True but not reading ur own/GoGs community posts even if its boring or something is just plain old slacking off
Post edited March 26, 2012 by kalle1981
kalle1981: True but not reading ur own/GoGs community posts even if its boring or something is just plain old slacking off
We do read them, actually.

For now I can only apologise, that the whole situation is taking so much time and I can give you temporary workaround for the Temple issue:

- approach general area not far from the temple (for example next to the houses before you enter chasm leading to it);
- save and exit
- go to Antara installation folder
- find files 8618.etc and 8618.V56 and rename them (for example 8618.etc.bak / 8618.V56.bak)
- you should be able to approach the temple
- after temple access is no longer needed, save, exit and rename both files back.

It should work with all saves.

Why such way: basically, right now it hasn't yet been thoroughly tested where exactly these both files are used later in the game and removing them completely would probably cause a crash somewhere. As you can see, it's not something that can be added to the official build yet.

PKodon: It happens because the BiA GOG has is up to date, with the exception of the last official patch put out by Sierra, which I have, but cannot run, because it is a Windows 3.x program (16-bit Windows on top of MS-DOS), which 32-/64-bit Windows cannot run. All I can gather from what GOG's support staff has been saying here in the forums is that they are doing what they can to get it fixed, but having to do so without applying the official patch.

Look, I understand how difficult it is to get old games to run on today's systems, THAT's why I too love GOG so much. BUT, where I'm now leary, is, before this, I always assumed that once you got past those problems, and the game ran, that there wouldn't be issues regarding parts of the game missing. THAT's a whole new problem that now makes me wonder about EVERY old game.

For example, RPG's are generally long games. Why on earth would anyone want to purchase an RPG, put all those hours into it, and then discover some critical location or piece of the program is missing???? That's an entirely new and different question from just getting old games to run on new systems, even though of course it's directly related to that issue.

I've got so many games in my library I can't remember how many. I'm always proud when I click on My Account and scroll all the way down those shelves and see the selection of games I've purchased. But now, I'm left wondering how many and which ones of those are missing critical locations and or pieces?? And I'm left wondering if I can purchase any more unless I first see some sort of proof that the game not only works, but it's complete and not missing any critical areas.

As for this game, I've actually got it on disk. I actually owned BOTH of these games, as I purchased them both back in the 90's. But I never beat either one, and for $5.99 I was HAPPY to purchase them again for the benefit of running on my now much newer machine. But I just never, ever thought of THIS as a possible problem, and it really feels like it's gonna put a damper on my enthusiasm for future purchases.

I just wish there were some way to know that this kind of probelm is either extremely rare or is potentially easily repeatable. If I had that disctinction, then perhaps I would know better how to approach future purchases.

As always, however, YMMV.

And I too, THANK YOU GOG for all you've done to make these great old games work on today's operating systems. Why the heck Microsoft ever had to change these operating systems to the point of not being backwards compatible anymore is beyond me, but that's just one of several personal issues I have with that giant monopoly.
Post edited March 27, 2012 by OldFatGuy
OldFatGuy: the game not only works,
Check.

OldFatGuy: but it's complete and not missing any critical areas.
Double-check.

Drama queen much?
Post edited March 27, 2012 by Stumpy
kalle1981: True but not reading ur own/GoGs community posts even if its boring or something is just plain old slacking off
Thiev: We do read them, actually.

For now I can only apologise, that the whole situation is taking so much time and I can give you temporary workaround for the Temple issue:

- approach general area not far from the temple (for example next to the houses before you enter chasm leading to it);
- save and exit
- go to Antara installation folder
- find files 8618.etc and 8618.V56 and rename them (for example 8618.etc.bak / 8618.V56.bak)
- you should be able to approach the temple
- after temple access is no longer needed, save, exit and rename both files back.

It should work with all saves.

Why such way: basically, right now it hasn't yet been thoroughly tested where exactly these both files are used later in the game and removing them completely would probably cause a crash somewhere. As you can see, it's not something that can be added to the official build yet.
that did work, but one question i read somewhere on this forum that the cave behind the nightmare staff should have bandits in it, or am i wrong on this??
OldFatGuy: the game not only works,
Stumpy: Check.

OldFatGuy: but it's complete and not missing any critical areas.
Stumpy: Double-check.

Drama queen much?
Nice.

Perhaps if you could read, you would've noticed that the game was missing several locations, including one that is important for a quest in the game. I would consider that a critical area, as not being to complete quests in a RPG as critical.

You can shove the drama queen remark up where the sun doesn't shine.

A-hole much?
:D
PKodon: Now, I asked in the thread about the missing temple if anyone who had purchased the game has Windows 3.x, can run it in DosBox, apply the patch to the GOG installation, run a diff program on the entire directory, and create a patch that WILL run in current Windows systems. I got no response.

I just went to my old, old, old Dell 386 computer, fired it up, and it came on. Windows 95. Plus, I've got the CD version of the game. In fact, it's already installed on this machine and is patched. I would be happy to help in any way I can, but I don't have a clue on how to use DOSBOX and/or make a patch. Is it something easy enough that I could be talked through it?
Post edited March 27, 2012 by OldFatGuy
OldFatGuy: Look, I understand how difficult it is to get old games to run on today's systems, THAT's why I too love GOG so much. BUT, where I'm now leary, is, before this, I always assumed that once you got past those problems, and the game ran, that there wouldn't be issues regarding parts of the game missing. THAT's a whole new problem that now makes me wonder about EVERY old game.

For example, RPG's are generally long games. Why on earth would anyone want to purchase an RPG, put all those hours into it, and then discover some critical location or piece of the program is missing???? That's an entirely new and different question from just getting old games to run on new systems, even though of course it's directly related to that issue.

I've got so many games in my library I can't remember how many. I'm always proud when I click on My Account and scroll all the way down those shelves and see the selection of games I've purchased. But now, I'm left wondering how many and which ones of those are missing critical locations and or pieces?? And I'm left wondering if I can purchase any more unless I first see some sort of proof that the game not only works, but it's complete and not missing any critical areas.

As for this game, I've actually got it on disk. I actually owned BOTH of these games, as I purchased them both back in the 90's. But I never beat either one, and for $5.99 I was HAPPY to purchase them again for the benefit of running on my now much newer machine. But I just never, ever thought of THIS as a possible problem, and it really feels like it's gonna put a damper on my enthusiasm for future purchases.

I just wish there were some way to know that this kind of probelm is either extremely rare or is potentially easily repeatable. If I had that disctinction, then perhaps I would know better how to approach future purchases.

And I too, THANK YOU GOG for all you've done to make these great old games work on today's operating systems. Why the heck Microsoft ever had to change these operating systems to the point of not being backwards compatible anymore is beyond me, but that's just one of several personal issues I have with that giant monopoly.
Okay, I just learned yet another potential obstacle the GOG team has in bringing us these Good Old Games.

In the case of Betrayal in Antara, the game originally came on two CDs. As such, it had some files with the same names, but different content, on both CDs. Since the GOG distributions sometimes combine the content from several CDs into one coherent directory, it becomes a bit more complicated to figure out how to fix such a game. One has to find within the game's code, the specific file names, rename one set of files, and change the game's code to look for the modified names instead of the duplicate names. That can be orders of magnitude more difficult, especially if the game stores any of it's data within the executable binaries, or some other binary files, perhaps compressed or encrypted.

At any rate, it appears they're on the right track, it will just take a bit longer to get it all sorted out.

Oh, and, I guess you can win the game, without saving Farmer Brunea's field, but, it would still be nice to be able to complete all the quests, as intended.

Also, regarding that Splinter Cell game I got from Gamer's Gate, I finally got it working (not sure how), without their help :)
Post edited March 29, 2012 by PKodon
OldFatGuy: Look, I understand how difficult it is to get old games to run on today's systems, THAT's why I too love GOG so much. BUT, where I'm now leary, is, before this, I always assumed that once you got past those problems, and the game ran, that there wouldn't be issues regarding parts of the game missing. THAT's a whole new problem that now makes me wonder about EVERY old game.

PKodon: Okay, I just learned yet another potential obstacle the GOG team has in bringing us these Good Old Games.

In the case of Betrayal in Antara, the game originally came on two CDs. As such, it had some files with the same names, but different content, on both CDs. Since the GOG distributions sometimes combine the content from several CDs into one coherent directory, it becomes a bit more complicated to figure out how to fix such a game. One has to find within the game's code, the specific file names, rename one set of files, and change the game's code to look for the modified names instead of the duplicate names. That can be orders of magnitude more difficult, especially if the game stores any of it's data within the executable binaries, or some other binary files, perhaps compressed or encrypted.

At any rate, it appears they're on the right track, it will just take a bit longer to get it all sorted out.

Oh, and, I guess you can win the game, without saving Farmer Brunea's field, but, it would still be nice to be able to complete all the quests, as intended.

Also, regarding that Splinter Cell game I got from Gamer's Gate, I finally got it working (not sure how), without their help :)
The same thing happened with Ultima 2 when it got re-released in the Ultima collection since files on the planet discs shared the same file name so they ended up getting copied over about 9/10 times so all the worlds are the same. Some one came up with a fix for that though. Hopefully GOG will find a decent solution, hell the fact that they had and are still trying is commendable since they could of been like other digital retailers and just no gave a damn.
kalle1981: that did work, but one question i read somewhere on this forum that the cave behind the nightmare staff should have bandits in it, or am i wrong on this??
This is true. however they will only show up in chapter 2 (this is from memory, I haven't tried it on the GoG version yet).
y so it seams :P

kalle1981: that did work, but one question i read somewhere on this forum that the cave behind the nightmare staff should have bandits in it, or am i wrong on this??
Panatheran: This is true. however they will only show up in chapter 2 (this is from memory, I haven't tried it on the GoG version yet).