It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lexor: <snip>
klaymen: How is "showflyingdead" supposed to work now? I have reinstalled the game to try it out and it shows either damage or killed units, not both. Setting "showflyingdead" to 2 shows just the casualties.
After Firek's patch, setting 2 and starting the game will revert it to 1 and works like that (= casualties). I wonder if, for example, Steam version acts the same. Can someone check that?
Post edited November 19, 2011 by Lexor
lalowei: snip
Lexor: Yes, I've already tested these two things (it was easier to make backup for Firek's patch to revert it after).

And yes, these two things are corrected. BUT I have strange feeling that after this patch game only "imitates" it is 1.7(35234) and indeed it is the same game version like before with only these two things corrected. Unfortunately it is probably not possible to have two versions of game installed at the same time to compare.

Also, after Firek patch my saves do not work which is very bad for me as I invested a lot of my spare time in the current game.
So you are saying that setting the showflyingdead = 2 works for you?

EDIT: Nevermind
Post edited November 19, 2011 by lalowei
An observation:

If you have used Firek´s patch and lost access to your saved games and have the previous installer which is 1.0.0.3 . You can rollback to the old version and regain access to your saves by uninstalling and answering yes when the installation prompts you if you want to keep your saved games. Then just install the game normally with the old installer.

Works on Win XP.
The saved games are in the $save folder. It´s a good idea to back them up in another folder just in case.
lalowei: An observation
It is much easier to look into zip and backup all files this zip uses :D
I did that myself to test Firek's patch and restored backuped files later to get my saves back again.
lalowei: An observation
Lexor: It is much easier to look into zip and backup all files this zip uses :D
I did that myself to test Firek's patch and restored backuped files later to get my saves back again.
Yes you are right. I was swept with excitement and i did not care about backing up all the contents that the ZIP file replaces. And you can call me lazy . :D
lalowei: Yes you are right. I was swept with excitement and i did not care about backing up all the contents that the ZIP file replaces. And you can call me lazy . :D
Nah, I'm just to precise when I am testing something new and don't want to waste time for reinstall so preferred to have some way back ;)
Is there any way to get the earlier versions of the game (meaning downloadable from GOG at some point in time)? I was forced to reinstall the game and now I can't load my saves.
I had the game almost completed!
Virkaa: Is there any way to get the earlier versions of the game (meaning downloadable from GOG at some point in time)? I was forced to reinstall the game and now I can't load my saves.
Well, unfortunately, GOG is not offering that, but newer version is different by only 4 files: kb.exe, curver.txt, \data\loc_data.kfs, sessions\base\loc_ses.kfs. I think the most important is an exe file as I checked other three files "does not change anything visible".

I've packed for you "old" exe from my hard drive. Rename five files jpg to rar, unpack and let me know if it worked.
Post edited January 10, 2012 by Lexor
Virkaa: Is there any way to get the earlier versions of the game (meaning downloadable from GOG at some point in time)? I was forced to reinstall the game and now I can't load my saves.
Lexor: Well, unfortunately, GOG is not offering that, but newer version is different by only 4 files: kb.exe, curver.txt, \data\loc_data.kfs, sessions\base\loc_ses.kfs. I think the most important is an exe file as I checked other three files "does not change anything visible".

I've packed for you "old" exe from my hard drive. Rename five files jpg to rar, unpack and let me know if it worked.
So, in the end, I didn't have to. GOG support fixed my save (very quickly I must say; I am very impressed). The support guy also sent me links to the tools they used:

http://kingsbounty.ru/mods/tools/KBScanner.zip
http://kingsbounty.ru/mods/tools/KB_DB_EDIT_0.75_eng.zip
Virkaa: So, in the end, I didn't have to. GOG support fixed my save (very quickly I must say; I am very impressed). The support guy also sent me links to the tools they used:

http://kingsbounty.ru/mods/tools/KBScanner.zip
http://kingsbounty.ru/mods/tools/KB_DB_EDIT_0.75_eng.zip
They used these tools to fix your save? o.o lol? How?
I do know these files, KBscanner is just for listing, it does not contains any editing function.
KB DB edit is to edit file indeed, but more to cheat (like increasing gold, spawn more units) than to repair something....

I would gladly hear now how did they use these to fix your save (especially scanner) and what was wrong in it?
Post edited January 10, 2012 by Lexor
Lexor: [...]
KBScanner can decompile saves to editable format and KBDB can then compile neccesary file back. But actually, KB DB alone is enough.

to get your saves back from GOG older build:
(always make a backup beforehand)

- open your .sav file as an archive (with 7-Zip ,etc.)
- extract saveinfo file
- run KBDB, decompile the file you just extracted, save as saveinfo.txt
- open it with Notepad, change the line:
{session} = {base/} to {session} = {base}
- save the file, run KBDB again, compile edited .txt back to saveinfo (no extension)
- open .sav file again, overwrite the file with new one

The game should now recognize your save.
I'd love to hear if there are any problems, though.
Post edited January 10, 2012 by Thiev
Thiev: I'd love to hear if there are any problems, though.
I'm glad you said that. We (I and the rest of KB players) would love to hear some answers for "a few" questions. But have you already advanced to some higher level minion to be able to answer them? :D ;)

First is the most important one I think.

1) How has it happened / what has happened that GOG has had some weird version at start? It had bigger build number than any other official one available... why? who is guilty here?

2) When we found these bugs - why has GOG used 3rd party's cracked exe instead of asking publisher directly to fix them? As I said, during my search for other infos, I've found out on Russian official forum that any cracks can cause some in-game quests to be impossible to finish / in other words, there are known cases that cracks have generated bugs. I would expect GOG to ask still existing publisher to fix, not using a crack like a normal pirates do.

3) In GOG official patch some perfectly good files were changed to some other versions - by perfectly good I mean two *.kfs and one *.txt file which exist in other builds v1.7(build 35234) (on Steam and GamersGate) and they had the same size - now this patch made them different - so we still do not have original v1.7(build 35234) just some faked version again?

4) This cracked exe already made me cry because of this weird savegame incompatibility - as I can see, it is enough to delete only one character to make savegame work??? o.o Not even change the number of save?

5) KB is not really old game so there is still possibility for next patch - how I can be sure that these modified saves and whole game will be compatible with next version?
Lexor: I'm glad you said that.[...]
I referred specifically to the saves issue and and if the workaround causes any problems during gameplay. The rest - I'm still lvl1, sorry ;)
Lexor: I'm glad you said that.[...]
Thiev: I referred specifically to the saves issue and and if the workaround causes any problems during gameplay. The rest - I'm still lvl1, sorry ;)
Heh, ok :(

About gamesaves - even if I get them to work, I probably will wait for official info about "why exe was just cracked" and "how I can be sure that this action has not caused any impossible to finish quests to appear". I've played a lot in KB, this is my favorite game here, so I'd hate to have some new bugs again after this very unprofessional form of patching. I'd be very frustrated at this very moment.
Resurrecting this still relevant thread.

Ran into the same issue with my saves. Booo! The links to the tools return a 404, could you GOG guys make them available in our profile downloads?