It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Now the changelog claims that the new version is an end-game bug fix. With no details as to what exactly was fixed or what was originally wrong. If you did not play to the end before and cannot vouch for the game to be absolutely winnable in 1.0.5, then why would you risk playing it risking a bug right after all that effort... How convenient they chose this version to also include a call home.

--edit--

The README.txt file (created by the SDK the developer used) in the game dir says the program version is 2.3.1 in both GOG installs, with different deployment dates only. One would think a game breaking bug fix would deserve an internal version number uh? Fishier and fishier...

--edit 2--

I just realized the developer was active on this very forum on the same day I posted the original question, and decided not to say anything at the moment or since then. Sorry then, here goes the download link for the patch and all info (also included in the download):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/th9mv1zbyd3on5k/KoDP_1.0.5_downgrade_by_Links.zip/file

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING:

THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED *AS IS*. If you have a problem and I have the time, I might be able to help you over at the GOG.com forums.

Please note that no complete game files are being distributed in this executable. This is only a delta patch between some of the files of two untouched installs.

This executable patch should turn an already installed GOG's King of Dragon Pass 1.0.6 for Windows into the version 1.0.5; without changing any GOG.com files (uninstaller, EULA.txt, icon file, etc. will not be modified), only the game files proper will be patched.

If you do not have a copy of the 1.0.5 backup installer, using this patch might be desirable as the 1.0.6 version tries to make Internet connections to a couple of IPs, which the 1.0.5 version did not do. It has been reported that after connecting on first run, the connections attempts will not occur again and the game will run correctly. I cannot be personally sure of this since I have not allowed the connections to be made. (See *1 at the end)

Be advised that the changelog at GOG claims 1.0.6 is a "Bugfix for the end of the game". I cannot vouch for that statement to be true or false, or which and how serious any problem with version 1.0.5 might be. I have not been able to find any hard data on this update's reason to be anywhere online, including the developer's, publisher's and retailer's webpages other than the "Bugfix for the end of the game" phrase on GOG.com, which makes it quite hard to check for the bug, if there is any, in the 1.0.5 version.

The only other 2018 update information I have been able to find is at Steam, from November 7th, which says: "This is a bugfix update, in which we fixed a rare crash related to wrong calculation of blessings." (See *2 at the end) It hardly sounds like and end-game critical bug fix, if it is related at all.

Yes: I am aware that Galaxy allows you to install a previous version, and that those versions should be equivalent to the one from a backup installer.
But: I do not trust anyone 100% with the files that run on my computers, and will double or triple check if possible when it involves a security risk or, as in this case, it is simply *fishy*.

You will need to point the patch program to the folder where KoDP is installed to proceed. If the files are not present, or they are not the correct 1.0.6 version (as indicated below), the patch will fail without changing any files.

The patch is destined to be applied to a clean install of GOG's backup installer for version 1.0.6, changing three (3) files into their 1.0.5 equivalents:
- "King of Dragon Pass.lic"
From 1.0.6: 144 bytes, SHA-256 5e12f570157e1a259b9f42ae64444fc144652d026faf86529da07ae88592205a
To 1.0.5: 144 bytes, SHA-256 d62918156adbaa2b499c8b8a132bd4b63afb7079cb5c964228c5b68dc976d844
VirusTotal scan:
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/d62918156adbaa2b499c8b8a132bd4b63afb7079cb5c964228c5b68dc976d844/detection
- "King of Dragon Pass.exe":
From 1.0.6: 1.256.960 bytes, SHA-256 92eeeaf0f987b9cc5fc667ca4c8cf0a3732a2539081253ed4aafb7053fd015d1
To 1.0.5: 1.256.960 bytes, SHA-256 c39ecd65cfe447feeca7237960662d20d0e606dbbc660707277a7aea190fb5c9
VirusTotal scan:
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/c39ecd65cfe447feeca7237960662d20d0e606dbbc660707277a7aea190fb5c9/detection
- "King of Dragon Pass.s86":
From 1.0.6: 6.239.232 bytes, SHA-256 259452ae69918f8151fb901307740d99634c9cef2372d652057826cfe2360731
To 1.0.5: 6.237.696 bytes, SHA-256 af7bb990267449e41bed6982580e6cee4883d62feebbaa37350dd644ac41e230
VirusTotal scan:
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/af7bb990267449e41bed6982580e6cee4883d62feebbaa37350dd644ac41e230/detection

TL;DR: Please, go to the beginning and read it

TL;DR bis: If you do not have a backup installer for 1.0.5, you cannot get one now. Use this to convert a 1.0.6 install to a 1.0.5 install

*1: https://www.gog.com/forum/king_of_dragon_pass/version_106

*2: https://steamcommunity.com/games/352220/announcements/detail/1715203764590902073
Post edited January 25, 2019 by Links
Links: I just realized the developer was active on this very forum on the same day I posted the original question, and decided not to say anything at the moment or since then. Sorry then, here goes the download link for the patch and all info (also included in the download):
FYI, that's the original developer. Herocraft is the dev/publisher for the new version (PC port of the Android version). I've never noticed them on GOG. Herocraft was why there was a delay in the new version coming to GOG.

OG is telemetry free...
Post edited January 25, 2019 by Gydion
Links: I will later today create a diff patch between either the backup installers from 1.0.5 and 1.0.6, or the respective installed game files (whichever turns out to be easier), for anyone who did not have the old version saved and wants it.
Luckily I kept my old installer (always do with every game until I know new version works OK) but thank you for helping out those who don't have a backup.
Gydion: FYI, that's the original developer. Herocraft is the dev/publisher for the new version (PC port of the Android version). I've never noticed them on GOG. Herocraft was why there was a delay in the new version coming to GOG.

OG is telemetry free...
Thanks for the info
I'm about to install this and my early test on the old original version (from the game made for PC, rather than the later version made for mobile then ported to PC) is that under Windows 7 it crashes on start up (tried using a few compatibility modes to no avail).

Now i also have this 1.0.6 version but not sure i want to try it due to the discussion here. Is this latest version a further version of the mobile-to-PC version?
ThorChild: I'm about to install this and my early test on the old original version (from the game made for PC, rather than the later version made for mobile then ported to PC) is that under Windows 7 it crashes on start up (tried using a few compatibility modes to no avail).

Now i also have this 1.0.6 version but not sure i want to try it due to the discussion here. Is this latest version a further version of the mobile-to-PC version?
1.07 has been out for a while now. I didn't notice it connect, but I can't 100% verify it doesn't since I may have already just let it pass through the firewall - I'd be surprised if it did since it uses the usual GOG installer (but so did 1.06, and apparently that had some issues, so ???).

It's worth a try - if it tries anything dodgy, just don't install it (and let us know so we're sure of the updated status of the latest installer).

As to your question: 1.06 (and 1.07) are indeed updates to the "mobile-to-PC" version - however, apart from the fact that it no longer has the nice picture of your village updating every year (it used to show how many cows, etc. you had, the temples you had built, your fortifications, and where your weaponthanes were patrolling), it's actually better in many ways. IMO the "new" KoDP is better than the old one (though I really do miss the changing village image) - they've removed some of the more tedious elements, so you spend your two actions per season on more stuff that actually matters, instead of constantly adjusting values that now adjust by themselves (such as number of crafters).

It's not as good as what they did with six ages unfortunately, but it's part of the way there (I would love to have the KoDP story re-done with the innovations from six ages - that would be AWESOME as IMO KoDP is much more detailed and a long play through is much longer).
The original PC version i have is marked as 'setup_kodp_2.0.0.12'

And the solution to getting that to run fine under Windows 7 for me was to first install the 'mobile' version which was 'setup_king_of_dragon_pass_1.0.5', then uninstall it and run the installer for the original PC version.

I think a number of 'Microsoft C++ redistribute-able xxxx' were installed during the mobile game version and for some reason i needed one or a few of those for the original game to install and run fine. I recently did a new build with a clean install of Windows 7, so it might have been the reason for the problem.

Anyway i've not enjoyed the changes in the mobile version (it misses some of the detail and nuance imho) and am happy i can play the original and not have to even care about online connection concerns. The original game came out long before Big Brother was a normal part of using software :)
ThorChild: The original PC version i have is marked as 'setup_kodp_2.0.0.12'

And the solution to getting that to run fine under Windows 7 for me was to first install the 'mobile' version which was 'setup_king_of_dragon_pass_1.0.5', then uninstall it and run the installer for the original PC version.

I think a number of 'Microsoft C++ redistribute-able xxxx' were installed during the mobile game version and for some reason i needed one or a few of those for the original game to install and run fine. I recently did a new build with a clean install of Windows 7, so it might have been the reason for the problem.

Anyway i've not enjoyed the changes in the mobile version (it misses some of the detail and nuance imho) and am happy i can play the original and not have to even care about online connection concerns. The original game came out long before Big Brother was a normal part of using software :)
Yeah I can totally understand that - at first I thought the "new" version was a joke, especially since it has that obvious "mobile" feel to it.

After playing it a bit, I started getting used to some of the niceties. Also ever since playing Six Ages I wish that this game had those improvements (even the mobile version doesn't have those, such as more detailed battle control).

Most of the "nuances" I originally missed from the "new" version are actually things that are just busywork and the game is better for them not being there, such as setting crafters or types of food to plant - that kind of stuff is pointless because there's always an optimal way to set these, so they just waste time once you know what the best settings are.

I mainly miss the village scene at the start of the year though...

Oh and I totally agree RE the bizarre Big Brother crap they tried to pull - even if it's indeed not harmful or they're not collecting anything, it's incredibly dodgy and shouldn't exist.
Post edited March 19, 2020 by squid830