It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I wanted to ask who designed the cutscene in the game and the cast who lent their voices. They still hold up relatively well today (especially with Bizzard's StarCraft cutscenes) and was thinking if there's a possible way to get a high resolution/high quality version so that modders can somehow integrate them back into I-War for modern PCs.

In fact I'm kinda just wishing now that you and some former buddies have a get together and decide to Kickstarter an I-War 3 project, then it will become a real return of the space sim genre with Star Citizen, X: Rebirth, EVE: Valkyrie, and Elite:Dangerous already making lots of noise (I'd also include Strike Suit Zero but that's another matter entirely).
Post edited November 24, 2013 by sfried
sfried: I wanted to ask who designed the cutscene in the game and the cast who lent their voices. They still hold up relatively well today (especially with Bizzard's StarCraft cutscenes) and was thinking if there's a possible way to get a high resolution/high quality version so that modders can somehow integrate them back into I-War for modern PCs.

In fact I'm kinda just wishing now that you and some former buddies have a get together and decide to Kickstarter an I-War 3 project, then it will become a real return of the space sim genre with Star Citizen, X: Rebirth, EVE: Valkyrie, and Elite:Dangerous already making lots of noise (I'd also include Strike Suit Zero but that's another matter entirely).
Agreed - the cutscenes were very well done.
sfried: I wanted to ask who designed the cutscene in the game and the cast who lent their voices. They still hold up relatively well today (especially with Bizzard's StarCraft cutscenes) and was thinking if there's a possible way to get a high resolution/high quality version so that modders can somehow integrate them back into I-War for modern PCs.

Unfortunately the full TV resolution uncompressed edit of the original cutscene assets has been lost as far as I can tell.

Some years ago at Particle when DVD encoding became possible on normal PCs I went to our editing workstation to see if I could MPEG 2 encode the intro, but I found the original edit had been deleted to make way for other assets.

In those days disk space was at a premium and bulk tape storage prohibitively expensive. The original movie frames had been archived but to reassemble them into a movie would require doing the edit from scratch - and sorry, I don't have the movie frames, though it's possible they do still exist.

We did re-render some I-War footage for a DVD promo of Defiance and that looked amazing at full PAL resolution 25fps. That footage seems to be have lost too, unfortunately.

I'd love to see a kickstarter for a new I-War game. It'd be up to the original directors of Particle Systems because I believe they own the IP.
Ravenger: I'd love to see a kickstarter for a new I-War game. It'd be up to the original directors of Particle Systems because I believe they own the IP.
From what I've heard the Particle staff split and went their own separate ways. Maybe you guys should host a reunion somehow and strike up the idea for a KS.
Ravenger: I'd love to see a kickstarter for a new I-War game. It'd be up to the original directors of Particle Systems because I believe they own the IP.
Ravenger, is it possible you contact the original directors of Particle Systems and ask them to get back to us here? I'd love you guys to set up a public poll (OpenPetition comes to mind) to ask whether there is enough interest in a Kickstarter campaign. I certainly would do everything in my power to get this info to as many people as possible.
Ravenger: It's a tribute to the very clever programmers and artists that worked on it and made it so future proof.

I-War 1 wasn't so lucky as it belongs to that era before 3D acceleration became standard, and before D3D became the main 3D API.
I have a Dell GX 110 - Pentium II 400 with 2 Monster 3D II's - 12 Mb in SLI

just to relive the glory days ...

:cheers:

I still enjoy playing this game after all these yrs
thanks for being a part of the community as well
So i just bought independence war 2 cuz it looks pretty damn cool and i really want to like it but the default controls are crap and i cant find a way to modify the key bindings, which leads me to my question how do i modify key bindings?
wilikers: So i just bought independence war 2 cuz it looks pretty damn cool and i really want to like it but the default controls are crap and i cant find a way to modify the key bindings, which leads me to my question how do i modify key bindings?
See the EoC Keybinder software here. Also if you're using a keyboard only, you might want to change the game options to keyboard only.

I'm gonna take advantage of this post and also ask help for my problem with switching the yaw and roll keys for I-War, basically I can't find the keybinds for the yaw controls!

Edit: I found a workaround for my problem, the solution will be in the thread itself.
Post edited June 14, 2014 by mihaiburcea
Hi Ravager.
Is there a file inside IW1 folder somewhere that decides what axis does what in I-War?

Thing is, I have a Saitek X52 and Rudder pedals combo that I use for sims, and was able to make a full use of it in I-War 2 (it feels almost perfect for this kind of sim).

I also was able to use it in I-war 1 with the use of Vjoy and UJR (small axis mapping program) but it has its limits and is more of a workaround than a solution.
If there is something like the .ini file of the second game I could make it work.
PL_Harpoon: Hi Ravager.
Is there a file inside IW1 folder somewhere that decides what axis does what in I-War?

Thing is, I have a Saitek X52 and Rudder pedals combo that I use for sims, and was able to make a full use of it in I-War 2 (it feels almost perfect for this kind of sim).

I also was able to use it in I-war 1 with the use of Vjoy and UJR (small axis mapping program) but it has its limits and is more of a workaround than a solution.
If there is something like the .ini file of the second game I could make it work.
VJOY is practically useless with my T16000m joystick.

Works fine with IW 2 but IW 1 game is unplayable.

Not seeing the stick in the game.
Post edited August 19, 2014 by Smasha
Wiliker: part of the reason the controls for EOC are so weird (everything is accessible from menus designed to be mapped to the hat switch on a joystick) is because the game was developed to be published on Dreamcast at the same time it was released on PC. Unfortunately that never happened, but is the main reason all the controls are buried in menus (not many buttons available on the Dreamcast controller).

Ravenger: Was there ever some kind of secret release or functional pre-release copy of the Dreamcast release of EOC? I would be so happy to somehow get my hands on it and play this on my old DC.

BTW, I'm so glad to see people are still playing this wonderful game. This and Escape Velocity took up the majority of my childhood. And my second childhood. And my third. Looks like I'm due for my fourth. :)
Post edited August 26, 2014 by Dash_Merc
Dash_Merc: This and Escape Velocity...
That would be a great game - Escape Velocity open-galaxy trading/pirating with I-War2 controls and functionality. The only thing I don't like about IWar2 is that I can't start with my own character.

I want to use my Escape Velocity character and start with a run-down shuttle.
Post edited August 26, 2014 by UniversalWolf
Ravenger.... how about telling us a 100% effective countermeasure to the game destroying "Dagda system" and "Wolfs Lair" bugs?

How about providing GOG with some earlier versions that v14.6? I've heard it is this version that is unofficial, unfinished and stuffed full of errors, which is responsible for these problems. As GOG are only peddling v14.6 as standard, they're selling a faulty product!!!!!
Post edited September 19, 2014 by JMayer70
Forget the above.... v F10.0 is exactly the same..... it's not just specific to F14.6.

The game is a turkey from the git-go. Particle Systems just what kind of idiots did you take us for?
JMayer70: Forget the above.... v F10.0 is exactly the same..... it's not just specific to F14.6.

The game is a turkey from the git-go. Particle Systems just what kind of idiots did you take us for?
As another I-War veteran, I played EoC back on XP not long after it came out, and a lot of the bugs I run into on modern systems didn't happen back then.

Take the mission where you're liberating indentures from dagda for example. Nowadays If I jump into the system and destroy the mines, the game freaks out and becomes unplayable. I found a workaround somewhere, but that never happened before I played it on Win7.