It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

CRW: I'll try it.
BTW, I've also tried using ddraw.ini on H1 Win version I've got (the same engine after all), yet the software crashes whenever I try to skip intro or change to full screen. This happens no matter if I use ddraw.dll (your or any other) or not.

What is funny is that sitting through the intro lets you play, though in window only.
Sorry, I don't have H1 Win to test with.
CRW: I'll try it.
BTW, I've also tried using ddraw.ini on H1 Win version I've got (the same engine after all), yet the software crashes whenever I try to skip intro or change to full screen. This happens no matter if I use ddraw.dll (your or any other) or not.

What is funny is that sitting through the intro lets you play, though in window only.
moranms: Sorry, I don't have H1 Win to test with.
That's a pity as it would be great to have both of them run natively on Win10.

Let's get back to H2 - I gave it some time to play and I have to say that the overall performance is not very good. The game has noticable lags during map scrolling for example. The DOS version works much better in that respect.

As for mouse - mouse speed definitely improved, though I noticed that the game is not able to handle the refresh rate resulting in cursor disappearing,
moranms: Sorry, I don't have H1 Win to test with.
CRW: That's a pity as it would be great to have both of them run natively on Win10.

Let's get back to H2 - I gave it some time to play and I have to say that the overall performance is not very good. The game has noticable lags during map scrolling for example. The DOS version works much better in that respect.

As for mouse - mouse speed definitely improved, though I noticed that the game is not able to handle the refresh rate resulting in cursor disappearing,
Hm, interesting. On my PC it behaves more or less exactly like the Windowed version, which uses GDI instead of the ddraw.dll. I'll probably clean up the source and release it for anyone that wants to work with this some more.
CRW: That's a pity as it would be great to have both of them run natively on Win10.

moranms: Hm, interesting. On my PC it behaves more or less exactly like the Windowed version, which uses GDI instead of the ddraw.dll. I'll probably clean up the source and release it for anyone that wants to work with this some more.
I wonder if it is not related to my resolution or the scaling method. I will check that once I am at home.

Also I wonder whether it is possible to force opengl scaling on that.
Is this Windows version only in english?
Hey guys, great work on releasing a windows version. @moranms Is it possible to re-upload the file that resumes the music both for overworld and town screen? You never really get to enjoy the entire music of the town screen unless you afk there so I'd love to use it. However I am a big hater of Windows 10, so I'm not sure if your file is meant to work for Windows 7? Thanks for the hard work.
yasagani: Hey guys, great work on releasing a windows version. @moranms Is it possible to re-upload the file that resumes the music both for overworld and town screen? You never really get to enjoy the entire music of the town screen unless you afk there so I'd love to use it. However I am a big hater of Windows 10, so I'm not sure if your file is meant to work for Windows 7? Thanks for the hard work.
I think this is the latest version. I only run it on Win10, but I think as long as Win7 can install the Visual C++ 2015 runtimes you will be okay. Also, I think this version *only* resumes the overworld music, the town music will reset...which may be the original way things worked on the actual CD version of the game? How does the town music work in the DOS version, does it resume or restart?

You'll need the Visual C++ 2015 runtimes: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Then, plop this copy of winmm.dll in the same folder as HEROES2W.exe: http://www.filedropper.com/homm2winmm

I believe this version:

1) Works with Win10
2) Correctly resumes CD music when terrain changes, as the original CD-based game did
Post edited September 24, 2016 by moranms
yasagani: Hey guys, great work on releasing a windows version. @moranms Is it possible to re-upload the file that resumes the music both for overworld and town screen? You never really get to enjoy the entire music of the town screen unless you afk there so I'd love to use it. However I am a big hater of Windows 10, so I'm not sure if your file is meant to work for Windows 7? Thanks for the hard work.
moranms: I think this is the latest version. I only run it on Win10, but I think as long as Win7 can install the Visual C++ 2015 runtimes you will be okay. Also, I think this version *only* resumes the overworld music, the town music will reset...which may be the original way things worked on the actual CD version of the game? How does the town music work in the DOS version, does it resume or restart?

You'll need the Visual C++ 2015 runtimes: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Then, plop this copy of winmm.dll in the same folder as HEROES2W.exe: http://www.filedropper.com/homm2winmm

I believe this version:

1) Works with Win10
2) Correctly resumes CD music when terrain changes, as the original CD-based game did
Thanks, and yes, this is the default behavior of the DOS game as well. The town music never resumes, which is a shame. I was specifically looking for that .dll you posted earlier in the thread that also made it possible for the town music to resume when going back into the town screen. I'd prefer to have it as well if possible.

Also I seem to have an issue with the game not playing sound effects/cinematic sounds and whenever I pick something up the game becomes unresponsive for a good couple of seconds. I already tried to set compatibility mode to windows xp sp3 but that didn't work. How can I fix it?
Post edited September 24, 2016 by yasagani
@moranms: I think there may be some issue with the new Windows 10 anniversary edition. I can't manage to get it working. I've tried it on many different PC's as well where it worked before the update. Do you have any ideas?
Post edited November 16, 2016 by spruceroot
spruceroot: @moranms: I think there may be some issue with the new Windows 10 anniversary edition. I can't manage to get it working. I've tried it on many different PC's as well where it worked before the update. Do you have any ideas?
Windows 10 Anniversary update broke both my ddraw.dll and winmm.dll. I've got both working now (mostly). What were you using, the ddraw or the winmm (or both)?
spruceroot: @moranms: I think there may be some issue with the new Windows 10 anniversary edition. I can't manage to get it working. I've tried it on many different PC's as well where it worked before the update. Do you have any ideas?
moranms: Windows 10 Anniversary update broke both my ddraw.dll and winmm.dll. I've got both working now (mostly). What were you using, the ddraw or the winmm (or both)?
That's awesome! I was using both. Any chance you would share them? :)
moranms: Windows 10 Anniversary update broke both my ddraw.dll and winmm.dll. I've got both working now (mostly). What were you using, the ddraw or the winmm (or both)?
spruceroot: That's awesome! I was using both. Any chance you would share them? :)
http://www.filedropper.com/heroes2

Put both files in the Heroes2 folder. The ddraw.dll actually handles loading the ogwinmm.dll (which corrects the CD music in Win10 Anniversary)...the ddraw.dll has really been tuned for my system...if the graphics don't work well for you, you should still be able to switch to windowed mode via F4 but retain the CD music. Good luck.

*edit* Oh, and F9 switches interpolation mode between linear and nearest neighbor. I actually prefer the more pixelated look of linear, but the smoothed options is available if you prefer.
Post edited December 13, 2016 by moranms
spruceroot: That's awesome! I was using both. Any chance you would share them? :)
moranms: http://www.filedropper.com/heroes2

Put both files in the Heroes2 folder. The ddraw.dll actually handles loading the ogwinmm.dll (which corrects the CD music in Win10 Anniversary)...the ddraw.dll has really been tuned for my system...if the graphics don't work well for you, you should still be able to switch to windowed mode via F4 but retain the CD music. Good luck.

*edit* Oh, and F9 switches interpolation mode between linear and nearest neighbor. I actually prefer the more pixelated look of linear, but the smoothed options is available if you prefer.
Thanks. Now I'm having other issues. I did a clean install of the windows version. I then put the files in the root folder. The first problem I have is that I can't go full screen. The option in the menubar is greyed out and F4 doesn't work. The second problem is I don't get the expansion music. And when I try to change from MIDI to CD music, I get a popup from the game telling me that my sound driver doesn't support it which it clearly does. The F9 key does nothing.

Any ideas? I don't expect you to have answers, but if you did it would be so awesome. Really appreciate your work.
moranms: http://www.filedropper.com/heroes2

spruceroot: Thanks. Now I'm having other issues. I did a clean install of the windows version. I then put the files in the root folder. The first problem I have is that I can't go full screen. The option in the menubar is greyed out and F4 doesn't work. The second problem is I don't get the expansion music. And when I try to change from MIDI to CD music, I get a popup from the game telling me that my sound driver doesn't support it which it clearly does. The F9 key does nothing.

Any ideas? I don't expect you to have answers, but if you did it would be so awesome. Really appreciate your work.
Hmm. Try removing winmm.dll if it still exists in the Heroes folder (the new file, oggwinmm.dll, needs to be there). Also try setting the mode to Fullscreen via Graphics Launcher.exe. If the game starts windowed first, I'm not sure if you'll be able to switch the CD music on. If you can get it starting in full screen (and therefore using the ddraw.dll) you should be able to switch the music type.
spruceroot: Thanks. Now I'm having other issues. I did a clean install of the windows version. I then put the files in the root folder. The first problem I have is that I can't go full screen. The option in the menubar is greyed out and F4 doesn't work. The second problem is I don't get the expansion music. And when I try to change from MIDI to CD music, I get a popup from the game telling me that my sound driver doesn't support it which it clearly does. The F9 key does nothing.

moranms: Hmm. Try removing winmm.dll if it still exists in the Heroes folder (the new file, oggwinmm.dll, needs to be there). Also try setting the mode to Fullscreen via Graphics Launcher.exe. If the game starts windowed first, I'm not sure if you'll be able to switch the CD music on. If you can get it starting in full screen (and therefore using the ddraw.dll) you should be able to switch the music type.
So I'm still having problems to get full screen running. Clean installation. Removed winmm.dll. Copied the files. I try to set full screen in graphics launhcer but when i launch it still puts out a small window. And the fullscreen option in the menubar is grayed out. The other options work though. I have a GTX 1070 if that helps.