It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When running the launcher for this patch, it creates a 'patch_log' txt file in the same directory, then fails a minute or so later with a message to check that file for more info.

That file says this:

Game patch log
Update from version 1.1.8.0 to

Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\database\database.arz
Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\Game.dll
Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\Grim Dawn.exe
File not found (for patching): E:\GOG games\grim dawn\ModelCompiler.exe
Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\resources\Creatures.arc
Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\resources\FX.arc
Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\resources\Level Art.arc
Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\resources\Shaders.arc
Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\resources\Terrain Textures.arc
Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\resources\Text_EN.arc
Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\x64\Game.dll
Error modifying E:\GOG games\grim dawn\x64\Grim Dawn.exe

I haven't had an issue updating any of the previous patches, is this just me? Do I need to download the whole installer and DLCs again?
I ask mainly because I'm having issues downloading larger files from GOG right now, anything over 1Gb just slows to a crawl.
If manual installing I'd contact GOG support since they need to do some stuff at their end before they release patches. I update via Galaxy and 1.1.8.1 has installed fine for me.
whatsnottaken: I haven't had an issue updating any of the previous patches, is this just me?
Worked for me, so seems it's just you.
whatsnottaken: Do I need to download the whole installer and DLCs again?
You definitely need to download all DLC installers again, the patch only patches the base game.

Or, install Galaxy.

Either use it just as a downloader - it automatically resumes the download when there's a hiccup in the connection, and it queues several downloads.

Or tell it where your Grim Dawn installation is, and then let it check and update the installation. That will likely minimise the amount of downloaded data, but you don't get the offline installers.
I've tried installing galaxy a couple times in the past and it also seems to just not work for me, I think it now requires windows 10. It's looking more and more like I have to buy a new PC to continue playing 60% of my games.

I'll try again in a few days, and hope it works out.
whatsnottaken: I've tried installing galaxy a couple times in the past and it also seems to just not work for me, I think it now requires windows 10. It's looking more and more like I have to buy a new PC to continue playing 60% of my games.

I'll try again in a few days, and hope it works out.
Is there some reason you think you'd have to buy a new computer simply to install Windows 10? Some free Win10 upgrades to Win from Win7/Win8 are still going. You can buy keys for Win10 Pro OEM for <$10 in many places. If your present CPU is simply too old to be supported by Win10--then, yes, you really do need a new computer...;)

The CPU/GPU/disk-drive hardware markets don't sit still, you know. Modern games are often developed with newer hardware in mind. Win7 is no longer supported by Microsoft--it's a dead OS. Did you know that if you buy/upgrade to a Win10 retail license (not an OEM license) it is good for the reminder of *your* life? You can transfer Win10 to as many computers as you may choose to buy over the course of your life (one at a time, of course)--and it will stay upgraded by Microsoft! I've swapped out four motherboards since I got Win10 Pro retail five years ago, and I'm still on my original retail Win10 license! It's a really great deal, imo. I suppose I'll continue using it until they write my epitaph...;)
It's mostly my CPU, everything else is pretty decent but I'm not really sure how capable my motherboard is at this point.
More than that I've seen a ton of issues people have had with things simply not working on 10, and given my luck I'm assuming a lot of stuff I will want to play are going to break or take a lot of time and effort to make work again.

Obviously I understand that the tech is always moving forward and eventually the older ones will be obsolete, but I'm very reluctant to move on when most of my stuff works right now. I also tend to be happy being a few years behind everyone else, I don't really need the newest games with all the older ones I still haven't finished. That's where my problem comes from, even the older games seem to stop working for some reason.

Also I'm not on Win7, but 8.1 which is not supported by Nvidia so I have to download drivers for 7 instead. I guess when those stop being updated I'll have to make a decision to upgrade the OS or hope things will keep working until I do.

In any case, the original point of this thread is obsolete, as I just downloaded the full installers again.
Post edited January 18, 2021 by whatsnottaken