It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mmarci: Let's do the same with G2, just to make it simple and straightforward.

1. Install the game
2. Rename gothic.exe to gothic2.exe in /system
3. Install this patch
4. Go on with the PlayerKit
5. Install SystemPack
6. Install the D3D11 renderer
7. Download and extract the base game normalmaps to system\GD3D11
8. Download and extract Vurt's improved textures and the L'Hiver Edition normalmaps to system\GD3D11\replacements

This gives you the enhanced Gold Edition without any significant game play changes. If you feel adventurous or you already completed the game more times than you care to admit:

9. Install the L'Hiver Edition, this time with actual game play changes, new armour, weapons and a combat overhaul.

There are plenty other mods around for this exceptional game, but the above gives you some basis to build on.
Do this work the same via gog galaxy? Cant find any gothic.exe file in the system folder to rename and installing the patch pops up some german text i have no idea what they say

1. Install the game
3. Install this patch
5. Install SystemPack
8. Download and extract Vurt's improved textures and the L'Hiver Edition normalmaps to system\GD3D11\replacements

This gives you the enhanced Gold Edition without any significant game play changes. If you feel adventurous or you already completed the game more times than you care to admit:

9. Install the L'Hiver Edition, this time with actual game play changes, new armour, weapons and a combat overhaul.

There are plenty other mods around for this exceptional game, but the above gives you some basis to build on.
What about for the first Gothic?
or should I still just follow what they recommend in the first post?
Also the Gothic 3 links don't work... I wish I could read German.
Post edited August 09, 2015 by Dilutral
mmarci: For those who would like to play through G3 for the *insert appropriate number* time, here's some additional information as the OP is slightly outdated. I will also post links and installation guidelines for the most commonly used mods.

1. Install the game
2. Get the latest community patch
3. Install Questpaket 4.2
4. Patch QP 4.2 to make it compatible with the latest community patch
5. Install the latest Content Mod
6. Enjoy the massively enhanced game

Google translate is your friend during the installation if you don't speak German (I don't know more than 20 words myself). The content mod has the consequences mod integrated as well, so you will be able to provide details on how you finished G2.

If you have a rather powerful PC I can post some g3.ini tweaks to make the most out of the game graphics-wise, although the stuttering issue remains for some people regardless of what you do.

Enjoy!
By the way the quest pack you are linking to is GERMAN ONLY so it inserts German voices and text into a English game. For those of us who only speak English that questpack you kinked to is WORTHLESS
mmarci: For those who would like to play through G3 for the *insert appropriate number* time, here's some additional information as the OP is slightly outdated. I will also post links and installation guidelines for the most commonly used mods.

1. Install the game
2. Get the latest community patch
3. Install Questpaket 4.2
4. Patch QP 4.2 to make it compatible with the latest community patch
5. Install the latest Content Mod
6. Enjoy the massively enhanced game

Google translate is your friend during the installation if you don't speak German (I don't know more than 20 words myself). The content mod has the consequences mod integrated as well, so you will be able to provide details on how you finished G2.

If you have a rather powerful PC I can post some g3.ini tweaks to make the most out of the game graphics-wise, although the stuttering issue remains for some people regardless of what you do.

Enjoy!
This post needs to be severely edited. As topken said the quest pack installs German quests, not cool if your not German. The content mod apears to vastly alter or remove the community patch and seems to be a matter of taste rather than a needed mod. This needs to better explained rather than just recomended.
Post edited August 22, 2015 by drpoor
Haven't been on GoG for a while, but just to answer your comments Topken and drpoor:

If you took the time to actually try to install the mod you would have realized even though the installer is in German, it gives you the option to install without the voice and text files overwritten to German. I myself never installed the voice files because I don't understand German at all, but it is a minor inconvenience as all the text has been translated to English.

The content mod gives you the OPTION to alter certain aspects of the game which you can choose to accept or decline. Like I mentioned in the very first sentence of my post, this is not for those who just started the game as it provides an entirely different gameplay experience. These mods have been created with the sole purpose of posing some challenge to those who can play the game through on highest difficulty without any issue as we know every single nook and cranny. It is also entirely optional, so you can just skip the step.

Attached a screenshot to highlight the important bit during the QP installation. I checked every single link and they all work flawlessly, just downloaded everything, installed both G2 and G3 following the instructions above. The game plays in English.

As for the first Gothic, I have not got a clue, Dilutral. Only played the game through twice, you are probably much better off asking someone who has some serious experience with the game.

@Greasynils: I have both games on GoG myself, the above instructions are for this version.
Attachments:
g3qp.jpg (70 Kb)
Post edited September 28, 2015 by mmarci

1. Install the game
3. Install this patch
5. Install SystemPack
I can't get the game to work... I followed these instructions apart from L'Hiver textures, because I can't find them separate from the whole package (the link is dead), and I have no desire to install the whole mod on my first time playing. Anyway, the game starts fine, but when I try to start a new game, it gets stuck on the loading screen after the intro video. When I check the task manager, I see that the program has stopped responding.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong? I have Windows 10x64.

Oh, did I mention that I can't get even that far with the vanilla? The game won't start at all. One of the mods fixed that, but I still can't play...

1. Install the game
3. Install this patch
5. Install SystemPack

I'm just getting a 'Welcome to nginx!' page when trying to get the systempack in step 5. I can connect to the main worldofplayers.ru without issues. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Update: I did some more digging and found that MaGoth posted a . This was found at [url=http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-%C2%BD-%C2%97-SystemPack-%28ENG-DEU%29/page26]the worldofplayers.de thread.
Post edited November 07, 2015 by laowai343
laowai343: I'm just getting a 'Welcome to nginx!' page when trying to get the systempack in step 5. I can connect to the main worldofplayers.ru without issues. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Update: I did some more digging and found that MaGoth posted a . This was found at [url=http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-%C2%BD-%C2%97-SystemPack-%28ENG-DEU%29/page26]the worldofplayers.de thread.
Edited, thanks.
I'm finding the OP post really confusing. I want to mod both Gothic and Gothic 2, so I've done all the stuff involving the PlayerKit and the SystemPack. I tried installing the D3D11 renderer, and as the OP post says I put this in the system file for both Gothic and Gothic 2. I changed the name of the .exe of Gothic to Gothic2.exe. When I run Gothic 1 I get a warning saying "Your Gothic-Executable does not match the checksum for this Version of GD3D11.

Perhaps there should be a post in the place of the OPs that goes into more detail about what you need to do for Gothic and Gothic 2. And a lot of the stuff in the OP is out of date, linking to a forum post that is several version behind on a website that is mostly German.

I was going to play Gothic tonight but finding how needlessly complicated this all is I just can't force myself to go any further. Sticky needs updating or replacing.
What patches are already part of the gog executable (Gothic 1)?
I started going through the list of bugfixes in the pcgaming wiki page, but installing the player-kit caused some problem with the borders - which, as I found out later, was already patched in the gog executable and I basically overwrote it.
Are there any other patches integrated with the gog download? I wanna be sure I'm not basically overwriting stuff that has already been fixed. So far I've only found out about the weird borders, nothing about the framerate cap or other things
cloudropis: What patches are already part of the gog executable (Gothic 1)?
I started going through the list of bugfixes in the pcgaming wiki page, but installing the player-kit caused some problem with the borders - which, as I found out later, was already patched in the gog executable and I basically overwrote it.
Are there any other patches integrated with the gog download? I wanna be sure I'm not basically overwriting stuff that has already been fixed. So far I've only found out about the weird borders, nothing about the framerate cap or other things
Unfortunately the GOG version doesn't have anything substantial. Framerate is stuck at 25 and you can't use 16:9 resolutions or any 4:3 resolution higher than 1024 x 768 I think.

Wish this stuff was fixed, since I got it on gog to replace my disk versions...

The best way to play Gothic 1 is to go find an old CRT monitor I guess.
Post edited November 12, 2015 by Fuzzmandude
AbacusFinch: I was going to play Gothic tonight but finding how needlessly complicated this all is I just can't force myself to go any further. Sticky needs updating or replacing.
You can check my post on the top of this page for G2, I just updated all the links so it should be fully working.

G3 links have all been updated as well as the worldofgothic website does not allow direct file links anymore by the looks of it. You can find the downloads on the very bottom of the respective pages.

@cloudropis, fuzzmandude:

Player kit 1.08k
FPS unlocker
Post edited November 16, 2015 by mmarci
Since there were no takers I try to make a guide for Gothic I too.

EDIT: copied all in one post here
Post edited November 19, 2015 by mmarci
mmarci: Since there were no takers I try to make a guide for Gothic I too.

1. Install Player Kit
2. Install System Pack
3. Install Freddy's world patch
4. Install ThielHater's texture patch
5. Unpack the framerate unlocker, the GothicMod executable is in //Gothic\system
6. Enjoy

EDIT: copied all in one post here
What does Freddy's world do? Don't speak German
Also I think a note about the borders fix for W8 and above would be useful

EDIT just noticed System Pack fixes the borders already
Is there anything to make the fonts readable and bigger in high definitions? Also, not modding related, what's a comfortable keybindings setup?
Post edited November 17, 2015 by cloudropis
mmarci: Since there were no takers I try to make a guide for Gothic I too.
5. Unpack the framerate unlocker, the GothicMod executable is in //Gothic\system
To delete..

MfG MaGoth,