It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Meatknife666: I'm really disappointed that GoG did not anticipate this kind of backlash. I read some articles that GoG 2.0 somehow made their gaming experience incredible which totally baffles me.
those issues, and actually this whole forum here, are being widely ignored by gog. it isn't monitored, there's no feedback, i doubt anyone acutally reads it.

on reddit, twitter and facebook it's a bit different as there are some volunteers, fanboys and marketing people who tell the world how great the new client is. any public critical feedback is downvoted/removed.

somehow my account can't login into the bugtracker anymore, last time i checked there where tenthousands of issues open. it's ... a mess.

welcome to the sad reality of gog.
I like 2.0, I just think is still soon and needs a lot of polishing but is pretty PROMISING, and may have options soon to make some of us a little dissapointed, happy.

In my case is just that I cannot export tags, and I really want to, and in the other way I also feel the UI is still in work in progress, I expect GOG to make it much better asap. Meanwhile I may maintain one of my computers with the 2.0 and the one I play more with, with the old one for now.

Just my two cents.

EDIT:

I managed to be back to the old GOG in my "playing computer" which I prefer, actually in this one I even don´t use the launcher in old games as I prefer to mod them many times with improvements that sometimes the launcher "corrects". But I keep 2.0 in my notebook as is perfect to check all my game collections and I am looking forward for an improvement on the tags, and other customization things for 2.0.

I really like the new launcher idea, even if it´s too ambitious and the scope of it may encounter many problems I really believe is going to be better and I already like many of the features included. Is not a bad thing at all, it just need some polishing.
Post edited August 14, 2020 by YaTEdiGo
Just found this. Thank you for this thread. I'll have to try that eventually.
Haven't played anything on GoG since the "update".
I'd be a good replacement for the horrible Steam UI, but compared to the old client, it was just jarring.
high rated
We've had only a very, very tiny baby step taken by GoG support addressing this matter:

As stated in this post, they communicated in a reply to a support ticket that Galaxy 2.0 is, indeed, still considered to be "in Beta".

Which would both confirm that
1) they indeed ignored the "opted out of Beta" settings, and
2) they indeed pushed the unfinished Beta client on all users, knowing it's only Beta.

As for any reasons, no further insights were given. Could have been due to a deadline, some sort of expiring licensing agreement, technical problems or, yes, sheer incompetence or negligence on someone's part in the dedicated decision making department. We don't know, and that won't change as long as their staff doesn't give a proper statement addressing the problematic state of 2.0 and why it's been (or had to be?) forcefully rolled out anyways.
it had to be rolled out because some manager needed to move his broken project forward or get fired for wasting ressources.
Since I kept seeing that little blue bar when I started up Galaxy, then it would still occasionally pop up (maybe once every few hours, doesn't affect me when I'm in any games) on the game library screens about the Update Now / Update Later prompt.. I thought I had that shortcut edit wrong, so decided to change the / to \ and well, damn, instead of launching Galaxy it went straight into the "Updating Galaxy" download progress bar with no option to cancel it.

Huh, so they are forcing folks who didn't sign up for the Beta to go into 2.0, how bout that.

Changed the shortcut back to / ,1.2 how I heart thee <3

Lesson learnt lol.
high rated
Interesting that the most popular topic on GOG's boards is that 2.0 is missing features, doesn't work, and/or support for people who want to go back to 1.2.

Fix 2.0, or go back to 1.2 and make it "better".

BlackSun: We've had only a very, very tiny baby step taken by GoG support addressing this matter:

As stated in this post, they communicated in a reply to a support ticket that Galaxy 2.0 is, indeed, still considered to be "in Beta".

2) they indeed pushed the unfinished Beta client on all users, knowing it's only Beta.

As for any reasons, no further insights were given. Could have been due to a deadline, some sort of expiring licensing agreement, technical problems or, yes, sheer incompetence or negligence on someone's part in the dedicated decision making department. We don't know, and that won't change as long as their staff doesn't give a proper statement addressing the problematic state of 2.0 and why it's been (or had to be?) forcefully rolled out anyways.
high rated
Dawezy: well, damn, instead of launching Galaxy it went straight into the "Updating Galaxy" download progress bar with no option to cancel it.
Yeah - check out the rest of the tutorial in the first post to delete that stuff, before it gets the chance to install itself due to another whoopsie - stay safe =D

mpeele: Interesting that the most popular topic on GOG's boards is that 2.0 is missing features, doesn't work, and/or support for people who want to go back to 1.2.

Fix 2.0, or go back to 1.2 and make it "better".
AMEN! Very interesting indeed, isn't it!
And, we're GoG users. We didn't take the easy and convenient road to Steam, we've ended up here for a reason, because it meant something to us. Statistically speaking I'd wager, we're the most likely group of people to be able to tinker our own way around publisher-imposed BS and that's exactly what we've ended up doing as a community. Not everyone - but probably a fair share of us, judging by this threads success and ratings.

It's sad that we had to, don't get me wrong. But it's also proof that a lot of us are not afraid to still roll up our sleeves and come together as a community because we care about what used to, and still should, make GoG different and great compared to other storefronts. DRM-Free installers are the core of the service, but the platform matters, as well.

Thanks to everyone who voiced their opinions, and those who contributed to this tutorial!
BlackSun: As a logical consequence, this approach leads to the issue that, when all things "Steam" are removed, that puzzle piece too goes missing - and all that GoG can do here, is provide their own puzzle piece that slots into that hole to re-enable this feature for us. And, that puzzle piece is part of Galaxy (multiplayer-capability & friendlist).

For that reason, this is the one exception we have to accept.
The thing I don't understand, is that Steam games that use Galaxy for cross-multiplayer, like Space Hulk Deathwing, don't need Galaxy installed. Using the same logic, shouldn't the GOG versions of those games also not require Galaxy ?
high rated
BlackSun: We've had only a very, very tiny baby step taken by GoG support addressing this matter:

I don't know and I don't care anymore. I never opted into this beta. Every time they asked me to update, I said no. Then one day I tried to launch the old, stable version and they forced the beta on me. Ever since it's been problem after problem. Today I had to download and install game updates manually because Galaxy 2.0 is so useless it can't even get game updates automatically.

I'm done. If this is how GOG wants to treat their customers, I won't be a customer going forward. I always liked DRM free games, and never cared about having my games split across multiple launchers like some people cry about if you ask them to use anything but Steam, but this forced rollout of broken software is too much. I've had less problems using the Epic Games Store when compared to Galaxy 2.0 beta, for crying out loud. They shouldn't have pushed out 2.0 until it was finished. Betas are not for everyone, they're for people who know the risks and want to help develop the software anyway. Absolutely shameful that GOG would force all users to test their beta version.

Glad to have this thread though, I can at least get 1.2 back for my library, even if that library won't be growing any larger from here on out.
williamjcm: The thing I don't understand, is that Steam games that use Galaxy for cross-multiplayer, like Space Hulk Deathwing, don't need Galaxy installed. Using the same logic, shouldn't the GOG versions of those games also not require Galaxy ?
Okay that doesn't make any sense in my head. What are you even trying to say?

"Steam games using Galaxy for crossplay don't need Galaxy."
So, Steam games DO use Galaxy for crossplay, but also DON'T use Galaxy for crossplay at the same time? Which is it?

Are you saying Steam-Games can crossplay with GoG-Games, without having GoG Galaxy installed?
If so, then yeah, obviously. That's the point of crossplay.

The opposite of that would be GoG-Games can crossplay with Steam-Games, without having Steam installed.
And yes, that works as well. Which is the point of calling it crossplay. Across platforms.

So... simply put.
Devs make a game. That Game doesn't do multiplayer if it's not programmed to have multiplayer. But programming multiplayer takes time and money.

So now Valve offers a plugin puzzle piece that comes with Steam and can just be slotted into place by the devs, instead of them having to invent their own code. So the Devs never do their own multiplayer code anymore, but just put in a puzzle piece provided to them by Valve. That makes it 1) easier and cheaper for the Devs to have a working multiplayer with little effort, leading to more games with multiplayer and less work for the game Devs, and 2) it also makes Steam nearly mandatory on the market for gamers if you want to play anything with multiplayer because without Steam, games simply can't do multiplayer anymore.

Back in the day, "dedicated servers" were much more common to come with the game, and the game did everything "multiplayer" on its own. But all of that stuff has been removed and replaced by that puzzle piece now, and games heavily depend on it.

So when you then remove anything that used to be "Steam" from the game, the game is now also missing that multiplayer ability puzzle piece. Therefore, GoG either has to expect every Dev to develop their own multiplayer code for a GoG release, or accept that GoG games simply won't have any multiplayer. That, or GoG themselves can provide a puzzle piece to slot into that already existing hole, and make multiplayer work exactly like it does on Steam, so that GoG-piece now also has to work with a client just like Valve's does, which GoG then calls Galaxy.

Thus, multiplayer capability has been restored for a game that had the Steam puzzle piece pulled out of it, as without that piece, the game can't do any multiplayer at all. And only then, depending on which agreements have been made, that multiplayer also may or may not support crossplay with Steam as well, but that's a different topic entirely.

So ultimately, GoG Galaxy even existing is Valve's Steam clients fault. Steam took dedicated features out of the games, and integrated them into itself. Both parties liked that for the reasons stated above, and it streamlined the multiplayer experience to the players as well. But it also had the result of games becoming unable to offer multiplayer without Steam. There are still a few out there that stick to the old ways of dedicated servers and utilizing their own multiplayer code, rather than using Steam's plugin. Many of these games have their own accounts and / or launchers, you can browse for Servers to play on inside of Minecraft, Factorio and Project Zomboid, and even host your very own dedicated server for others. But most games only send invites to play with a Steam-Friend through Steam, and use the Steam-Plugin to connect and run "their" multiplayer. That needs to be replaced somehow, and that's what Galaxy does. Friendlist, invite to multiplayer, code to connect and run it. It's a replacement plugin for the hole Steam's plugin left in the game.
Post edited December 06, 2020 by BlackSun
mjc0961: Glad to have this thread though, I can at least get 1.2 back for my library, even if that library won't be growing any larger from here on out.
Yeah, understandable, more power to you. To many of us old folks around here (and yes I know your account is older than mine), the client only became a convenience for keeping games up to date, as we were around before it even existed to begin with. But everyone who's got a Steam client anyways, and kind of expects and requires the client of a store to just work properly, which I think is both a pretty big portion of people and a very reasonable thing to expect, only get alienated by this poor state of affairs here.

IDK if or how much the Devs working on Cyberpunk were involved in the development of Galaxy, but that may also be a reason as to why it's dried up this much. They were too busy working on Cyberpunk, obviously, to do anything else - and if "anything else" may have included work on Galaxy, that would have fallen on the wayside.

Not an excuse, at any rate - and furthermore, only a blind assumption / guess on my part. But based on this fickle foundation, I am kind of hoping for 2.0 to get fixed in the weeks / months after Cyberpunk release. God knows it's in dire need to, anyways. And again: pure speculation on my part. But who knows.
Post edited December 06, 2020 by BlackSun
BlackSun: IDK if or how much the Devs working on Cyberpunk were involved in the development of Galaxy
Zero. CD Projekt Red is a different company than Gog. And even if it was the same company, different teams would work on different projects. No game dev would ever work on a store application such as galaxy.

Things will not get better here either way, the downwardspiral started 2018 with the layoffs at Gog and is now in full effect for us customers who are wondering what is even going on.
Just wanted to say thank you for this post. I'm back to 1.2 thanks to you.
I am kind of new here, but what exactly is better in 1.2 vs 2.0?

Is the issue with SUPER slow updates also present in 1.2?