It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Immoli:
I agree, online authentication doesn't qualify as "DRM-free".

I read that they re-encrypt the installer if you choose to keep it after downloading. Seriously, wtf- that's not DRM-free by any measure.
cmdr_flashheart: I read that they re-encrypt the installer if you choose to keep it after downloading. Seriously, wtf- that's not DRM-free by any measure.
That's correct, but fortunately, there is an easy (but tedious) workaround for this. Copy the temporary files to a different folder before the installation finishes and, voila, a standalone installer.
Post edited April 08, 2014 by Grargar
ET3D: Every developer wants to be on Steam, and all the roads lead to Steam. Games you buy in various stores are activated on Steam and you play on Steam. This makes Steam highly valuable.
It does make it avoidable. I never bought a single game that had to be activated on Steam.
Since most retail games seem to be Steam polluted for many years now and I got tired of checking if it is, I only buy here and on sites that clearly say if a game needs Steam or not.
Post edited April 08, 2014 by Klumpen0815
cmdr_flashheart: Damn, like what? I recently got HOMM III Complete from there for cheap :\
Immoli: Online authentication for all games, even those listed as DRM-free.

Of course, people say that it is easily circumvented by copying some file, can't really confirm that.

Either way, I don't care, just the fact that they label it as DRM-free and then require internet connection leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'd rather just buy my games elsewhere.
Holy shit, I've been buying lots of stuff from there recently, and you mean I can't reinstall my games without an internet connection???

Well, just like being DONE with GreenManGaming after I discovered this news with their damned capsule thing, I'll be DONE with GamersGate, because that is bullshit, that is no way DRM free.
OldFatGuy: Holy shit, I've been buying lots of stuff from there recently, and you mean I can't reinstall my games without an internet connection???

Well, just like being DONE with GreenManGaming after I discovered this news with their damned capsule thing, I'll be DONE with GamersGate, because that is bullshit, that is no way DRM free.
Relax man, you can. It's just not automatic.
cmdr_flashheart: I read that they re-encrypt the installer if you choose to keep it after downloading. Seriously, wtf- that's not DRM-free by any measure.
Grargar: That's correct, but fortunately, there is an easy (but tedious) workaround for this. Copy the temporary files to a different folder before the installation finishes and, voila, a standalone installer.
Yeah, I read that too, but still doesn't make them selling their stuff as "DRM-free" okay. They need to seriously re-visit this aspect of their DRM-free store.
OldFatGuy: Holy shit, I've been buying lots of stuff from there recently, and you mean I can't reinstall my games without an internet connection???

Grargar: Relax man, you can. It's just not automatic.
I have no idea what that means. I'm going to disable my wireless adapter, uninstall one of my "DRM-Free" GG games and then try and reinstall it with no internet connection to see one way or another myself. Back in a few.
cmdr_flashheart: Yeah, I read that too, but still doesn't make them selling their stuff as "DRM-free" okay. They need to seriously re-visit this aspect of their DRM-free store.
Practically, it works for me. No client and no internet connection is necessary. But yes, it could be a very nice case of false advertising.
Grargar:
Basically, when I buy something DRM-free, I expect to keep the installer, without exceptions or conditions. It pisses me off that they're including a condition with this, that's all.

Yeah, practically speaking there's a workaround, but in case the workaround doesn't work for some reason, the customer has no effing recourse because the workaround isn't officially sanctioned.

Sorry, I am a little miffed by this.
ET3D: I'm sure most people would argue with this claim. Most bundles are Steam key bundles. When they're not they're Desura bundles, or on rare occasions Gamersgate or GOG bundles. In short, bundles sell keys, and they're very successful doing that. Not to mention that people are trading Steam games, selling them and gifting their keys. A part of Steam's success is the ease with which keys can be given.
Yes, but there is HUGE difference between Steam keys and Desura keys - by activating Desura key you get access to good old installer which can be downloaded and stored, same with GOG. With Steam key you get...well...string in Steams DB.
OFC bundle love to sell keys, its easy, its not waste them space and bandwidth, no need to manage these files...but thats just LAZY way to make business, because all keys is ending somewhere, who actually provide service.
For example, if somehow Steam go crazy and cancel all Humble Bundle's keys you will still have Humble Library. And you will probably have nothing with Bundlestars or recent Groupees.
tinyE: Juri was a member of the Soviet Air Force. Perhaps I should have been a little more clear with "civilian". Of course perhaps I shouldn't have derailed the thread with my stupid joke in the first place. :P
Just for info - all russian astronauts is always members of Air Force. Except space tourists, maybe.
Post edited April 08, 2014 by Redfern
Grargar: Relax man, you can. It's just not automatic.
OldFatGuy: I have no idea what that means. I'm going to disable my wireless adapter, uninstall one of my "DRM-Free" GG games and then try and reinstall it with no internet connection to see one way or another myself. Back in a few.
Trust me, I've tested this workaround, and you can install GG's drm-free games offline without any problem.
I can confirm THESE GG GAMES ARE NOT DRM FREE.

I was NOT ABLE to reinstall my game, despite saving the temporary files, because it looks for an internet connection.

I have spent my penny at GG. The only thing I'm gonna do there now is use up my blue coins, of which I do have a few.
OldFatGuy: I have no idea what that means. I'm going to disable my wireless adapter, uninstall one of my "DRM-Free" GG games and then try and reinstall it with no internet connection to see one way or another myself. Back in a few.
Wesker: Trust me, I've tested this workaround, and you can install GG's drm-free games offline without any problem.
I just tested and it would NOT install.
Post edited April 08, 2014 by OldFatGuy
OldFatGuy: I can confirm THESE GG GAMES ARE NOT DRM FREE.

I was NOT ABLE to reinstall my game, despite saving the temporary files, because it looks for an internet connection.

I have spent my penny at GG. The only thing I'm gonna do there now is use up my blue coins, of which I do have a few.
For starters, what is the game you tried to reinstall?

Hm, I think you might not have saved the files correctly because it does work.

Grargar: For starters, what is the game you tried to reinstall?
Europa Universalis, and yes it is advertised as a DRM free game, and yes I saved the temporary files.