It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fallout 1,2, and Tactics, Freespace 1&2, Castles 1&2, and other unforgettable Interplay games 50% off!

When a conversation between gamers comes down to listing the absolutely essential PC classics one can't simply imagine the gaming world without, inevitably Interplay games come up. Most PC gamers are dedicated Interplay fans, even if unknowingly. Even if by some strange twist of life you don't instantly recognize the label, it's an easy bet that looking at our this week's [url=http://www.gog.com/promo/interplay_weekend_promo_120413]Immortal Interplay Classics promo page you'll immediately notice at least two titles that will make you excited or nostalgic. The number of unforgettable titles in Interplay's offer here on GOG.com is simply astounding! Today, we bring you all of them with a 50% discount.Now, let's take a moment to talk about Fallout, shall we?

When it was first realesed in 1997, Fallout electrified the gaming community and proved that real depth and freedom of real-life pen-and-paper RPGs weren't that far out of reach of computer games as it was usually proclaimed. The post-nuclear wasteland became the number one destination for countless fans. The game was enormous, masterfully written, and extremely immersive. Making it even better seemed impossible. But then, in 1998, Fallout 2 came along and proved that perfection could still be improved. Larger gameworld provided even more freedom, and the variety of enemies, items, NPC, quests, and stories made it immortal. After all these years some people still stand by opinion that Fallout 2 is the best computer RPG ever created. Add Fallout Tactics on top of that, for those who think that the combat system was the best part of these games, and there you have it: the greatest classic Fallout offer possible!

But that's not all! Head out to our Immortal Interplay Classics promo page and grab yourself some of the best games ever made for the PC, 50% off on GOG.com. The offer lasts until Tuesday, April 16, at 3:59AM GMT.

As usual, below you'll find a new episode of This Week on GOG, a short video guide to recent events, promos, and other happenings on the site. By the way, if you haven't already, you might want to follow the GOG.com channel on Youtube, so you won't miss our shows, specials, and exclusive trailers.

This Week on GOG episode 22
Post edited April 12, 2013 by G-Doc
sharp299: anyway I`m a great fan of descent. in somewere I read about Freespace, Is the spiritual Succesor. Is that true? should I buy it?.
Other than the original title being Descent: Freespace, it has actually rather little to do with the Descent games in story or gameplay. Freespace definitely is more comparable to the Star Wars space sims as it is more complex rather than the fairly easy action shooter system of the actual Descent games. No power-ups either. =P
I still have a code left over from the last PWYW promo:

Earthworm Jim 1 + 2
Fallout
Fallout 2
Battle Chess Special Edition

If anyone has a code for a game or two lying around I would not mind a trade.

Hint: I don't own very many indie games. :)

Edit: Successfully traded with sharp299. - Thanks
Attachments:
games.jpg (14 Kb)
Post edited April 14, 2013 by assassin33
I've got a free $9.99 GOG promo code, but I haven't used it because I've been trying to decide between getting Sacrifice and Fallout Tactics.

I don't suppose anyone would be interested in trading those two $4.99 promo games for my promo code so I don't have to decide? ;)

It's a longshot, but might as well ask.
Hmm - returning to the hint for next week, what about "Hell - A Cyberpunk Thriller"? I haven't played it - would it fit the "inhuman resources" part of the hint?
Sacrifice eh? I have think about it, I'm not made of things, usually which has some money worth.
Definitely a cryptic hint. For a second I thought it might be referring to I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, but that's a long shot. The idea of resources seems to point to a strategy game, but I Have No Mouth... is about five different characters and using them to defeat the evil computer AM.

Hmm...
Post edited April 13, 2013 by mondo84
tinyE: Age and value correlate trust me.

I mentioned this before in a similar thread but here goes again.
I personally own 2 copies of Uncle Tom's Cabin. One is brand new and one is a few years old. One is $7.99 and one is $5000.00. Obviously age changes the price of a book.
As collector's items, sure. The price then becomes a matter of scarcity or historical interest of the medium. The work, and it's intrinsic value stays the same. Which may differ according to people, and be zero to some.
What I object to is people spouting this "it is old, therefore it should be cheap" inanity. Even moreso with digital downloads which don't physically alter over time - what's "old" in this case is the date of creation of the work. Which I don't think is a valid criterion for judging something's value. That would also mean that these people only buy & play these games because they are cheaper than the current offerings, and not because they deem them better.

My Homer & Shakespeare examples might have been poorly chosen, but I think the answer "but you can get it for free anyway" is telling. The aforementioned Gutenberg.org project still costs time and effort to maintain... which is why they're asking for donations. "Free" in this case mostly means someone else is paying for you to have access to it.
Post edited April 13, 2013 by Erich_Zann
tinyE:
Erich_Zann: What I object to is people spouting this "it is old, therefore it should be cheap" inanity. Even moreso with digital downloads which don't physically alter over time - what's "old" in this case is the date of creation of the work. Which I don't think is a valid criterion for judging something's value. That would also mean that these people only buy & play these games because they are cheaper than the current offerings, and not because they deem them better.
I couldn't agree with you more and while I was just using my book reference to be a devils advocate you have me thinking maybe I shouldn't have done even that. :P

My mother is a professional antique dealer and runs her shop out of our inn and all I can tell you is that it can get complicated to the point of maddness and when some folks want a simple black and white answer (or in this case a price chart) it can lead to a lot of 'pissiness' when you don't deliver one.

This is totally off topic for this thread which normally doesn't bother me, but in this case this promo deserves a little more respect than to be bludgeoned by my price ranting so I'll back off just a tad.
So much Interplays!
To anybody interested in either of these titles:

- VR Soccer '96
- Kingdom: The Far Reaches
- Evolva
- Screamer
- Shattered Steel
- Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business
- M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2
- Conquest of the New World

if you're going to buy any of those I propose an exchange. I have a code for these 8 games and I want only Evolva in exchange. The reason I don't redeem it myself is that I don't want to fill my shelf with games I do not intend to play.

So for a price of just $2.99 you can get all of those. If the offer interests you just contact me.

Edit: it seems that this time the offer is over, sorry for everyone else who might want it.
Post edited April 13, 2013 by jpolastre
GoodGuyA: I really liked Castles when I picked it up. While not vastly intuitive (always remember to finish building a wall before sending your builders off or it won't be done!) the general simplicity of things makes it less of a slog than other management games. Castles 2 is a bit more intense, and I did not find to be anywhere near as fun, but it's great if you like to min max strategies like crazy.
Thanks!
JMich: Ok, let's see what this may be.
Nergal01: Someone on another forum suggested "Genewars". It's a Bullfrog/EA game, so it would be right at home here.
Oh man oh man oh man I soooo hope you're right!! That game was very fun and somewhat hard, I didn't play much but I loved it.
Now that I think about it, the reason I wanted Evolva is because it reminded me of Gene Wars...
Post edited April 13, 2013 by jpolastre
I haven't Screamer 2 only since Pay What You Want promo. Now I'm going to get that one.
sharp299: anyway I`m a great fan of descent. in somewere I read about Freespace, Is the spiritual Succesor. Is that true? should I buy it?.
ShaolinsKunk: It kind of is, the Manual lists the full title as Descent: Freespace - The Great War

That said it plays pretty differently from Descent; it's less six-way shooter and more of a traditional space sim.

That's not to say it's not a good game, it's awesome in fact, if you're not opposed to space sims I'd definitely recommend it and if you've never gotten into space sims before it's a pretty good introduction.
Thank you very much. I`m really like the Space Simulators, this game is the type of games there I like. I will buy it and I will try It.

ShaolinsKunk: So, if you're not like me and don't need to play games in order and in their original glory than I'd even say skip the first one.
If you are talking about to be purist I think I`m like you, I like to play games like wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Quake, Quake II, Hexen, descent, whiout source port (only emulated by dosbox on its all original glory), I don`t like Source ports too. again thanks for the reco :)

see ya

mistermumbles: Other than the original title being Descent: Freespace, it has actually rather little to do with the Descent games in story or gameplay. Freespace definitely is more comparable to the Star Wars space sims as it is more complex rather than the fairly easy action shooter system of the actual Descent games. No power-ups either. =P
then I think the fight should be more rampant than in descent ... I like that kind of games. Then I will buy it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Post edited April 13, 2013 by sharp299
ShaolinsKunk: It kind of is, the Manual lists the full title as Descent: Freespace - The Great War

That said it plays pretty differently from Descent; it's less six-way shooter and more of a traditional space sim.

That's not to say it's not a good game, it's awesome in fact, if you're not opposed to space sims I'd definitely recommend it and if you've never gotten into space sims before it's a pretty good introduction.
sharp299: Thank you very much. I`m really like the Space Simulators, this game is the type of games there I like. I will buy it and I will try It.

ShaolinsKunk: So, if you're not like me and don't need to play games in order and in their original glory than I'd even say skip the first one.
sharp299: If you are talking about to be purist I think I`m like you, I like to play games like wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Quake, Quake II, Hexen, descent, whiout source port (only emulated by dosbox on its all original glory), I don`t like Source ports too. again thanks for the reco :)

see ya

mistermumbles: Other than the original title being Descent: Freespace, it has actually rather little to do with the Descent games in story or gameplay. Freespace definitely is more comparable to the Star Wars space sims as it is more complex rather than the fairly easy action shooter system of the actual Descent games. No power-ups either. =P
sharp299: then I think the fight should be more rampant than in descent ... I like that kind of games. Then I will buy it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Not to make this debate confusing but I never liked any of the Descent games yet I think Freespace 1 and 2 are two of the greatest games ever in any era or genre. Maybe I just find Descent too claustrophobic or maybe it's having a time limit (once the reactor is blown) in EVERY mission, but I always just found Descent too hectic and frustrating to be fun. When I first played Freespace 2 and I was able to take my time doing fly bys on this huge ass mother ships blasting little holes in it all while having all of space to fly around in and set up another run; a few seconds of that and I was hooked for life.
Post edited April 13, 2013 by tinyE