It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Showing you how government works, in case yours doesn't!
Speaking from one organization that has had an unpopular shutdown to another: America. What are you doing? America? Stahp.

Shutdowns are never popular, and all of the polls show that this is not a big hit with most Americans either. Americans may be looking for something fun to do, since all their parks are closed for the moment. Thankfully your favorite purveyor of digital games is here to help. It occurs to us that one of the problems may be that there are people on Capitol Hill who don't know what a functioning government looks like, so we thought we'd help and point a few out with a special 24-hour 50% off [url=http://www.gog.com/promo/shutdown_promo_091013]Shutdown Promo.

The Guild: Gold Edition is a great place to see where the term "Machiavellian Politics" originated from. If you're looking to find a land where earning power was the key to success in the political arena, look no further. Meanwhile, in Capitalism Plus and Capitalism 2, you can get the best economic sims that money can buy half off and see for yourself how a demand economy functions. Tropico Reloaded is 50% off as a reminder of what can happen when governments go awry, and Alpha Centauri (with the Alien Crossfire expansion!) has more different styles of governments modeled than you can shake a stick at. So, really, these games are a quick lesson in civic government. Because we're concerned for you guys.

There has been a lot of furor over health care in America leading up to this shutdown, and we think it's a shame so many people are upset about medicine and how to treat each other. To help further our educational mission for this promo, we figured we'd put Theme Hospital in the sale as well, because that way you can judge for yourself just how tricky it can be to balance the needs of sick patients against limited budgets. Finally, for reasons entirely unrelated to who may or may not have been involved in shutting down the US Government, we also appear to have Redneck Rampage on sale 50% off.

Finally, we would like to express our condolences to everyone who's been furloughed by the shutdown. More than that, actually, we'd like to offer you the games pack of our special Shutdown Promo for free. Send an email to [url=]thanksobama@gog.com[/url] with your picture holding the official furlough letter you received, before Friday 11 October 2013 at 12:00 EDT and we'll give you The Guild: Gold Edition, Capitalism, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage free.

We hope the games will keep you all occupied while you're waiting for someone on Capitol Hill to get their act together. Meanwhile, get The Guild, Capitalism Plus, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage 50% off (or free if you met the requirements above), in our special Shutdown Promo! The offer lasts until Thursday, October 10, at 12:59PM GMT.
yinhh: I don't take any side but for a gaming website it is incredibly dumb to get involved in politics by taking a side. You will make half of your users happy and piss off the other half.
It's not politics, it's only marketing. i think you mistake this for a political statement although it isn't. It's only a marketing gag to increase publicity. And they aren't really taking sides, I guess they don't care much, not even about the federal employees. Why should they? Why do you think it looks like they are taking a side?
Post edited October 10, 2013 by Trilarion
emperor20: You might need some lotion for that burning sensation.
If you can't get a joke, it's generally more acceptable to just admit it and be done with it than start slinging nonsensical insults at random, you know.
Crosmando: Hey GOG employees, do we get games tonight (perchance a classic one)?
Maaaaaaaybe? :D
JudasIscariot: Maaaaaaaybe? :D
Do we get a new anniversary promo before the week ends?
GOG.com: Showing you how government works, in case yours doesn't!
Government's work? First I've heard of it hehe.

Well it made me chuckle when I read this promo even if some do take it too seriously :)
JudasIscariot: Maaaaaaaybe? :D
rodrolliv: Do we get a new anniversary promo before the week ends?
Maaayyyybbbbeeeee.....
undeadcow: I use to obsessively play Capitalism Plus when it was released; does Capitalism 2 offer a significant change/upgrade in gameplay to justify owning both?
Some new features, mostly graphical upgrades. Both are good. But what we really should want is the new standalone expansion to Capitalism 2, called "Capitalism Lab". It has tons of new features.

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/capitalism_lab
Awesome promotion, but I think your email address for it is needlessly inflammatory and tasteless, and that's with me trying not to be that political about it.
TheEnigmaticT: Oh, wow. i didn't read your user name.

Go Knights! (Class of '05, me. :P)
Class of '97 U-C-F!

That is pretty awesome. Keep up the great work TET!
Whew. I picked up Tropico Reloaded with 15 minutes left.
Pinball: Emperor20, you are the worst kind of idiot. The kind of idiot who think he knows everything.
TheEnigmaticT: It's been a few posts since I last said it, So: Ad hominem attacks directed at anyone aren't productive. Do not engage in such or you'll face the wrath of my Mallet of Loving Correction.
If I ever make a game, or a mod, can I implement your Mallet of Loving Correction and have you approve?

You won't be disappointed on the power of the mallet ;)
TheEnigmaticT: It's been a few posts since I last said it, So: Ad hominem attacks directed at anyone aren't productive. Do not engage in such or you'll face the wrath of my Mallet of Loving Correction.
JinseiNGC224: If I ever make a game, or a mod, can I implement your Mallet of Loving Correction and have you approve?

It's actually stolen from Hugo award-winning author John Scalzi.
Post edited October 10, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
JinseiNGC224: If I ever make a game, or a mod, can I implement your Mallet of Loving Correction and have you approve?

TheEnigmaticT: It's actually stolen from Hugo award-winning author John Scalzi.
Hogwash :(
Boter: Awesome promotion, but I think your email address for it is needlessly inflammatory and tasteless, and that's with me trying not to be that political about it.
I think the redneck crack cancels out the thanksobama email, making the promotion political-neutral.

(But if that's just my woeful knowledge of American politics showing, and the rednecks are supporting Obamacare, then I'll agree the promotion is needlessly one-sided.)

Anyway, poking fun at a civil war or race riots or such is something I'd call tasteless. But a government shutting down it's own access to the funds it needs to run? That's kind of hard to take seriously unless you're directly affected in some way...
rodrolliv: Do we get a new anniversary promo before the week ends?
TheEnigmaticT: Maaayyyybbbbeeeee.....
Lol, you tease. :P