It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Showing you how government works, in case yours doesn't!
Speaking from one organization that has had an unpopular shutdown to another: America. What are you doing? America? Stahp.

Shutdowns are never popular, and all of the polls show that this is not a big hit with most Americans either. Americans may be looking for something fun to do, since all their parks are closed for the moment. Thankfully your favorite purveyor of digital games is here to help. It occurs to us that one of the problems may be that there are people on Capitol Hill who don't know what a functioning government looks like, so we thought we'd help and point a few out with a special 24-hour 50% off [url=http://www.gog.com/promo/shutdown_promo_091013]Shutdown Promo.

The Guild: Gold Edition is a great place to see where the term "Machiavellian Politics" originated from. If you're looking to find a land where earning power was the key to success in the political arena, look no further. Meanwhile, in Capitalism Plus and Capitalism 2, you can get the best economic sims that money can buy half off and see for yourself how a demand economy functions. Tropico Reloaded is 50% off as a reminder of what can happen when governments go awry, and Alpha Centauri (with the Alien Crossfire expansion!) has more different styles of governments modeled than you can shake a stick at. So, really, these games are a quick lesson in civic government. Because we're concerned for you guys.

There has been a lot of furor over health care in America leading up to this shutdown, and we think it's a shame so many people are upset about medicine and how to treat each other. To help further our educational mission for this promo, we figured we'd put Theme Hospital in the sale as well, because that way you can judge for yourself just how tricky it can be to balance the needs of sick patients against limited budgets. Finally, for reasons entirely unrelated to who may or may not have been involved in shutting down the US Government, we also appear to have Redneck Rampage on sale 50% off.

Finally, we would like to express our condolences to everyone who's been furloughed by the shutdown. More than that, actually, we'd like to offer you the games pack of our special Shutdown Promo for free. Send an email to [url=]thanksobama@gog.com[/url] with your picture holding the official furlough letter you received, before Friday 11 October 2013 at 12:00 EDT and we'll give you The Guild: Gold Edition, Capitalism, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage free.

We hope the games will keep you all occupied while you're waiting for someone on Capitol Hill to get their act together. Meanwhile, get The Guild, Capitalism Plus, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage 50% off (or free if you met the requirements above), in our special Shutdown Promo! The offer lasts until Thursday, October 10, at 12:59PM GMT.
I suggest we have a "startup promo" when everything is up and running again.

Hmm, what games should be in that sale?

Or maybe I"ll just do a giveaway :)

Give me ideas!
Do I really need credit card number to get these free games?
Krivi: Do I really need credit card number to get these free games?
If you're not one of the furloughed ones, yes. Because everyone who doesn't fit that criteria pays half the regular price.

Finally, we would like to express our condolences to everyone who's been furloughed by the shutdown. More than that, actually, we'd like to offer you the games pack of our special Shutdown Promo for free.
Post edited October 09, 2013 by Maighstir
Krivi: Do I really need credit card number to get these free games?
If you want the free games, follow the entry rules and drop us an email; MDyzzle is in bed by now, but he'll send you a code tomorrow.
TheEnigmaticT: Let's be fair, here: I'm born in Georgia and grew up in Florida--I'm a redneck myself. ;)
JinseiNGC224: As a resident Redneck, how well can you recommend Redneck Rampage? ;D

I've never played it. In fact I've never played any builder engine games until a few months ago, thanks to GOG. The only reason I haven't played it is, well, the rednecks! Those ugly teeth on the front cover scare me away ... >.>

That said, if it's hilarious enough I'll check it out. I already own Blood and Duke Nukem 3D and I'm fine with those.
I'll be honest: the humor is not fantastically funny. It's mostly Calfornia devs making fun of good ol' Georgia boys--although some of the dialog is pretty funny.

That said, if you've never played Blood (which, yes, I know, not on promo) you've really missed out on something. Likewise for Duke 3D.
Post edited October 09, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
This promo is mad hilarious guys, props.
OctopusMan: Headquarters is in Warsaw, Poland while the money laundering operation is based in Cyprus. Thanks for an awesome promo btw!
JinseiNGC224: Hehe, money laundering ;)
At first I too thought that GOG was just a small independent web-shop selling classic games for just a few dollars each, all optimized for modern systems, with no DRM but with support and even extras like artwork and soundtracks included. It sure sounds nice doesn't it? A little too nice for my taste. I quickly realized that something wasn't right but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I did some research and what I discovered is that GOG is just the visible front of a large criminal syndicate operating in over 16 countries. In addition to DRM-free games they also are involved with arms smuggling and human trafficking. If you don't believe me take a look at this link:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/wtf_gog_is_on_the_ofac_list

Knock-knock indeed.
Post edited October 09, 2013 by OctopusMan
ucfalumknight: Thank you GoG for reminding me how inane my government truly is. And in particular, thank you for choosing Redneck Rampage as a game to represent. I think I will go shove my head in a hole somewhere, why not, most American's do....
TheEnigmaticT: Hey, I'm American and I wrote the newspost. I sympathize.

Toefur: Yep, taking a picture of your Gov ID is a bad idea. Depending on where you work you could get fired or worse for doing that. Free games aren't worth that risk.
TheEnigmaticT: Not being aware of that, we structured the giveaway poorly. We've amended the rules. Thanks for the heads up.
I'm American as well, and I find the newspost to be hilarious. In fact, it's one of the best you've done in a while. As for Redneck Rampage--I don't mid at all, especially since I can replace my destroyed cd copy (it cracked after a move) and enjoy Xatrix' bizarre shooter yet again at a low price.

I can live with that.
Post edited October 09, 2013 by ZapMcRaygunn
Awesome news post and great promo to match! Excellent! Thanks GOG!
Dear lord, I thought that the failure of the American politicians to reach an agreement had begin to effect businesses using the dollar. I thought GOG might not be able to trade any more due to their use of the US dollar.
RadonGOG: But, well, I can´t be proud for the actual situation in germany anyways---nearly absolut majority for conservatives will give us four painful years of silly politians...
Well, thanks to a two-party system, the US always has conservatives with an absolute majority. Even if the type of conservative changes every few years.
Epic sale GOG. I was really touched to see you giving away games to furloughed workers. Hilarious and classy at the same time. Keep it up!
The answer is clear.
Attachments:
president.jpg (121 Kb)
keeveek: You sure they're not playing Tropico?
JudasIscariot: Well, we don't have naturally occurring bananas here >.>

Just very creative finance ministers :P
Maybe you don´t have bananas, but certain states have Gorillas ;)
Very clever promotion. Thanks GOG.
tinyE: The answer is clear.
Indeed so! Why choose the lesser evil?

One of these should become the campaign song:

The Great Old Ones are Coming to Town
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_hZXH_2IRM

Oh Come All Ye Old Ones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2DscvVye94

Death May Die
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9o8OWVWOE0
Post edited October 09, 2013 by OctopusMan