It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
hedwards: Doesn't really matter, they promised that it would be for sale DRM free, and they had an obligation to do so. If it really is only 5% then they should just give us refunds because we aren't getting what we were promised.
amok: I don't think it was promised to be for sale DRM free? but that backers would be able to get it DRM free?
It was in their FAQ that it would be available for sale through their site DRM free afterwards. Folks int he comment section have cut and pasted it quite a few times when people say there was no promise.

What's more, the copies that we were given for backing were never disclosed to be partial copies. Regardless of what SimonG says, receiving a copy that can't be updated with new DLC that the DRM copy can is just acting in bad faith. It's not something that they had disclosed and only somebody with no particular ethics would think that's OK. They had a responsibility to disclose that as at least a possibility or offer us our money back.

I mean the guys that did Project Zomboid are doing that, even though they haven't done anything wrong in respect to the Choe fiasco.
low rated
amok: You must admit, they are fun :
SimonG: They are fun, because they are consequence free. Not for me (which is kinda reassuring, of course), but for the industry.
jackalKnight: Bump the Omerta thread instead, good times
SimonG: I wasn't part of it, just a lurker. But it was awesome. In a sad way. As much as I have my beef with CDP, I still like and respect GOG. Seeing how they ran into a corner with their marketing, is rather saddening. Let's just hope the forum is only a fraction of the actual customers.
If you want to see something really hilarious, go to the thread where people are whining about GOG having "poor" pre-order bonuses compared to Steam. Half the people whining about the evil Hairbrained Studios Steam DRM there are going on about how great Steam preorder bonuses are and demanding an unlock system for GOG (despite the fact that GOG has very few new AAA releases that aren't CD Projekt and a much more limited userbase than Steam).

It kinda shows that the greed exhibited here extends even to GOG itself.
Post edited April 14, 2013 by jackalKnight
jackalKnight: ...
Not sure if you are aware of it but but they are in the world different peoples with different opinions, just because some said something stupid/extreme things doesn't mean that everybody think the same or even agree.
amok: I don't think it was promised to be for sale DRM free? but that backers would be able to get it DRM free?
hedwards: It was in their FAQ that it would be available for sale through their site DRM free afterwards. Folks int he comment section have cut and pasted it quite a few times when people say there was no promise.

What's more, the copies that we were given for backing were never disclosed to be partial copies. Regardless of what SimonG says, receiving a copy that can't be updated with new DLC that the DRM copy can is just acting in bad faith. It's not something that they had disclosed and only somebody with no particular ethics would think that's OK. They had a responsibility to disclose that as at least a possibility or offer us our money back.

I mean the guys that did Project Zomboid are doing that, even though they haven't done anything wrong in respect to the Choe fiasco.
The DLC thing is just a matter of perceptions. If you did not know that there are more DLC's than the ones you got, then the game would feel complete to you. I played through Borderland the first time and got to the end, having a good time. The game felt completely. It had a beginning, middle and end. Then came the first DLC.... and you know what? I did not know it was out for almost 6 months. During this time, no-one came and edited my Borderlands files. It still was a blast to play, and it still had a beginning, middle and end. It was a complete game. The vanilla version still is. I see no reason why this game should not be the same. If you did not know that there was some other DLC's coming, you would have been happy with the game you are getting right now.

But then I tend to have an optimistic outlook on things and focus on the good things I have and how to make the most out of them. The half-full glass of beer, means I get a half glass of beer. It do not mean someone cheated my out of a half-full glass of beer. Especially when I ordered a half-full glass of beer. :)
high rated
hedwards: Doesn't really matter, they promised that it would be for sale DRM free, and they had an obligation to do so. If it really is only 5% then they should just give us refunds because we aren't getting what we were promised.
Actually, it was indeed promised that it would be for sale DRM free from their website once it was released.

"For PC/Mac/Linux, the game will be available DRM-free from our website."

Screengrab for proof.
Attachments:
SirPrimalform: Nope, but they said they'd be selling the game DRM-free and they've gone back on that.
Tiefood: As far as I can tell they will have a DRM free version downloadable from their website.
Yes, but only for backers. It was supposed to be released DRM-free for people to buy.
hedwards: They had a responsibility to disclose that as at least a possibility or offer us our money back.
We can discuss this for the next 25 pages without coming to another conclusion. They made a mistake, no doubt about it, no matter if they could or couldn't address it sooner because the license-holder had to agree and, for whatever reason and no matter who's to blame, didn't before the kickstarter was over.

What I'm interested in right now, is the following part from their latest update:
We hope you’ll see that we’re doing our best to listen to and address the issues you’ve raised. However, if after reading this update, you are still unhappy, we’d like to talk to you about it to see if we can address your concerns. Please contact us at info@hbs-studios.com and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Has anyone claiming they would want a refund because of how it's been handled / came out, tried this and gotten in contact with them and how did it work out or not.

I may have missed it, but haven't seen anyone posting a result from doing so. It's one thing to vent, but not taking steps towards a possible solution and still keep venting is another.
hedwards: They had a responsibility to disclose that as at least a possibility or offer us our money back.
Siannah: We can discuss this for the next 25 pages without coming to another conclusion. They made a mistake, no doubt about it, no matter if they could or couldn't address it sooner because the license-holder had to agree and, for whatever reason and no matter who's to blame, didn't before the kickstarter was over.

What I'm interested in right now, is the following part from their latest update:

We hope you’ll see that we’re doing our best to listen to and address the issues you’ve raised. However, if after reading this update, you are still unhappy, we’d like to talk to you about it to see if we can address your concerns. Please contact us at info@hbs-studios.com and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Siannah: Has anyone claiming they would want a refund because of how it's been handled / came out, tried this and gotten in contact with them and how did it work out or not.

I may have missed it, but haven't seen anyone posting a result from doing so. It's one thing to vent, but not taking steps towards a possible solution and still keep venting is another.
This fellow at the ks page at least seems to have received a reply regarding a refund:

mbpopolano24 about 18 hours ago
Hi guys, this is my last message here. I just want to let you know that in response to my email, HBS offered to refund my contribution. I declined and just asked to be removed from the database. In light of this response, I am now convinced that HBS did not take their decisions on DRM and game features with a malicious intent. So, have fun with the game and good-bye.

So those complaining, go ask for your refund if youre so agravated about it and move on. Continuing to complain just for the sake of complaining just looks ...
Siannah: We can discuss this for the next 25 pages without coming to another conclusion. They made a mistake, no doubt about it, no matter if they could or couldn't address it sooner because the license-holder had to agree and, for whatever reason and no matter who's to blame, didn't before the kickstarter was over.

Siannah: Has anyone claiming they would want a refund because of how it's been handled / came out, tried this and gotten in contact with them and how did it work out or not.

They released the update at the end of the workday on Friday, so I'm not aware of anybody that's been given a response at all.

Personally, I'll be doing so later today as I'm pissed about being lied to. It was even in the FAQ section on the original KS page that they would be offering it for sale as a DRM free download on their site and that Steam was a possibility.

As I've said before I don't fund Steam developers and I certainly don't want to give the various rights holders the idea that they can expect this sort of concession. But,either way I won't be buying any more HBS games, no matter how good they are.
thelovebat: Actually, it was indeed promised that it would be for sale DRM free from their website once it was released.

"For PC/Mac/Linux, the game will be available DRM-free from our website."

Screengrab for proof.
So it was just a lie. Public doesn't mean "backers". And this part with "also steam release.."... God :(
Motherfuckers...

seriously, it's my only comment about that situation.

Has anyone claiming they would want a refund because of how it's been handled / came out, tried this and gotten in contact with them and how did it work out or not.

hedwards: They released the update at the end of the workday on Friday, so I'm not aware of anybody that's been given a response at all.

Personally, I'll be doing so later today as I'm pissed about being lied to. It was even in the FAQ section on the original KS page that they would be offering it for sale as a DRM free download on their site and that Steam was a possibility.

As I've said before I don't fund Steam developers and I certainly don't want to give the various rights holders the idea that they can expect this sort of concession. But,either way I won't be buying any more HBS games, no matter how good they are.
So why didn't you just demand the refund instead of repeating this post to us 5 billion times? "I don't fund Steam developers" means you don't fund about 95 percent of PC/Mac/Linux game development now, so you'll have plenty of extra money.
nwm
Post edited April 14, 2013 by amok
amok: and who says the base game will not be on sale there DRM free?
Actually they said it won't be, only the backer will have access to the DRM-free version.
SimonG: And now they are giving away the DRM free version and the Steam version. Making sure that all those high and righteous DRM free evangelists will also sell or give away their "second copy".
I can't speak for others, but I myself would be a hypocrite if I sold or gave away keys for a service that I do not wish to support. HBS actually managed to piss me off even more by offering 3 + 3 Steam keys for my pledge as if that somehow makes up for not disclosing properly during the kickstarter run that the game might not be available to purchase DRM-free afterwards.