It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

StingingVelvet: I AM SO ANGRY ABOUT THIS LEGITIMATE COMPLAINT!!!

I AM SO ANGRY YOU'RE ANGRY!!!

RAWRRARARARA!!!!!!
Just another day on the internet. ;)
StingingVelvet: I AM SO ANGRY ABOUT THIS LEGITIMATE COMPLAINT!!!

I AM SO ANGRY YOU'RE ANGRY!!!

RAWRRARARARA!!!!!!
LOL

Have a cookie.
I just updated the opening post with new information (that's a few days old but I missed).

Apparently they released another update on Kickstarter a few days ago to try and sort out all the confusion.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/www.harebrained-schemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/srrVersionsCompared.png
sums up the differences in the versions.

Anyway looks like there will be patches for the DRM-free version, and there will be mods for the DRM-free version. The only thing you miss out on is any future DLC, and any mods based off that DLC.

Their reason for the DRM is actually explained in the post aswell : "The reason is that our license to develop Shadowrun Returns actually requires that the game and its DLC be distributed under DRM" . Not sure exactly how I feel about that, it means that when they promised the DRM-free version, they knew that any DLC wasn't going to work with it. Also not sure how they could promise a DRM-free version based off that statement.
Post edited April 13, 2013 by apocolypse600
So glad I didn't back this, I'd be so pissed off right now. The 'licencing deal won't let us' excuse doesn't really work... it just means they ran the kickstarter project prematurely and agreed to things that they ended up not being allowed to do.

As I understand it, the project originally said they'd release the game DRM-free, not just "backers will get it DRM-free".

EDIT: Originally typed "did back this" by accident. :S
Post edited April 14, 2013 by SirPrimalform
apocolypse600: I just updated the opening post with new information (that's a few days old but I missed).

Apparently they released another update on Kickstarter a few days ago to try and sort out all the confusion.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/www.harebrained-schemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/srrVersionsCompared.png
sums up the differences in the versions.

Anyway looks like there will be patches for the DRM-free version, and there will be mods for the DRM-free version. The only thing you miss out on is any future DLC, and any mods based off that DLC.

Their reason for the DRM is actually explained in the post aswell : "The reason is that our license to develop Shadowrun Returns actually requires that the game and its DLC be distributed under DRM" . Not sure exactly how I feel about that, it means that when they promised the DRM-free version, they knew that any DLC wasn't going to work with it. Also not sure how they could promise a DRM-free version based off that statement.
There are about 36k backers and all new DLC will be on Steam only, so you've got a small community that have access to the DRM free version. Do you really think that most of the modding is going to be done with the DRM free version in mind?
SirPrimalform: So glad I did back this, I'd be so pissed off right now. The 'licencing deal won't let us' excuse doesn't really work... it just means they ran the kickstarter project prematurely and agreed to things that they ended up not being allowed to do.

As I understand it, the project originally said they'd release the game DRM-free, not just "backers will get it DRM-free".
That's certainly my understanding. It looked like a fun game and I wanted it to be DRM free for all. Apparently they've decided that they didn't promise any such thing and I'm skeptical that they weren't well aware of this quite a while ago. Hopefully if there's enough of a shitstorm other developers will take notice that you can't change the terms and screw over the customers.
Post edited April 13, 2013 by hedwards
NeoGaf had a thread about this and they didn't seem too happy either. The site's owner sent a request to have his $250 backing refunded after the change about DRM Free and the city DLC.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539736

I know the main point of contention here is the DRM issue, but reading through that thread you realize that how this project has been managed is questionable. When they started this whole thing they specifically said in the FAQ that they would be selling it DRM Free on their website. So either they lied, or they started a kickstarter to fund a game without having all the rights sorted out ahead of time. Which itself should be a concern for a project to ask for money without having that finalized.

They also stated that a loot system wouldn't be possible because they don't have the funds for it. What would have happened if the project didn't get 1.4 million dollars above it's goal if they are having funding issues? Would the page have been updated with a "Sorry, we are out of business!" message last year?
This is why I have only backed a few games since Kickstarter really took off with video game projects. There were several projects I was going to back but I noticed in comments that people were asking if the game would be DRM-free and responses from project leaders were along the lines of "But everyone will steal this game without DRM!" and then, a few days later, there would be an update of "Guess what guys?! This game will be 100% DRM-free!", like suddenly a light dawned on them. When has that ever happened during an internet argument? Yeah, those definitely sounded like hollow, empty promises to me just to try to take more backers money beforehand so I stayed the fuck away from them. It made very wary of other projects too, even if they promised it at the beginning.

I've been using a wait-and-see approach with other projects I've backed and don't like what I'm seeing now with this project. It's especially troubling for me because I was hoping that these Kickstarter projects could restore faith in me that I could once again buy some PC games, especially since I have opted for the much more expensive physical tiers (generally). I'm kind of expecting that my Project Eternity boxed copy is going to be a worthless piece of shit because they'll put DRM on it based on comments team members of Obsidian have made in the past about how much they are in love with digital and the DRM that goes with most digital stores to kill secondhand sales (like secondhand sales of PC games has ever been a big market anyway).

I haven't read past a couple pages in the thread so far nor logged into Kickstarter for awhile to read updates, but from a few comments I picked up while skimming through, I get that backers will still get a DRM-free version but there won't be a DRM-free version for sale when the game is finished?

I also have issues with the arguments that developer's like Steam for its servers and whatnot. A quote: "allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content." Apparently, many people have never gotten the message that the business model idea behind Kickstarter started way before Kickstarter, and the brainstorming behind the idea was how to make money competing against free, i.e. file sharing. Why use Steam when there is a much better alternative? Just support torrenting, it's not like games still wouldn't sell (see Ghosts or Sita Sings the Blues or The Oatmeal's posters or public domain books). I find that purchasing is often easier, which is why I have quite a few GOG's, but I wouldn't think twice about torrenting or copying this game in some way. The main issue I have is that I would rather pay pirates than worship/sing their praises or have them expect me to return the favor in some other way, but that's a personal thing.

I still stand by my earlier assertions that these games are being created without any need for copyright and that people shouldn't feel guilt about torrenting if they need to, but that's still easier said than done since cracking Steam DRM would still be technically illegal under the DMCA.
KyleKatarn: This is why I have only backed a few games since Kickstarter really took off with video game projects. There were several projects I was going to back but I noticed in comments that people were asking if the game would be DRM-free and responses from project leaders were along the lines of "But everyone will steal this game without DRM!" and then, a few days later, there would be an update of "Guess what guys?! This game will be 100% DRM-free!", like suddenly a light dawned on them. When has that ever happened during an internet argument? Yeah, those definitely sounded like hollow, empty promises to me just to try to take more backers money beforehand so I stayed the fuck away from them. It made very wary of other projects too, even if they promised it at the beginning.

I've been using a wait-and-see approach with other projects I've backed and don't like what I'm seeing now with this project. It's especially troubling for me because I was hoping that these Kickstarter projects could restore faith in me that I could once again buy some PC games, especially since I have opted for the much more expensive physical tiers (generally). I'm kind of expecting that my Project Eternity boxed copy is going to be a worthless piece of shit because they'll put DRM on it based on comments team members of Obsidian have made in the past about how much they are in love with digital and the DRM that goes with most digital stores to kill secondhand sales (like secondhand sales of PC games has ever been a big market anyway).

I haven't read past a couple pages in the thread so far nor logged into Kickstarter for awhile to read updates, but from a few comments I picked up while skimming through, I get that backers will still get a DRM-free version but there won't be a DRM-free version for sale when the game is finished?

I also have issues with the arguments that developer's like Steam for its servers and whatnot. A quote: "allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content." Apparently, many people have never gotten the message that the business model idea behind Kickstarter started way before Kickstarter, and the brainstorming behind the idea was how to make money competing against free, i.e. file sharing. Why use Steam when there is a much better alternative? Just support torrenting, it's not like games still wouldn't sell (see Ghosts or Sita Sings the Blues or The Oatmeal's posters or public domain books). I find that purchasing is often easier, which is why I have quite a few GOG's, but I wouldn't think twice about torrenting or copying this game in some way. The main issue I have is that I would rather pay pirates than worship/sing their praises or have them expect me to return the favor in some other way, but that's a personal thing.

I still stand by my earlier assertions that these games are being created without any need for copyright and that people shouldn't feel guilt about torrenting if they need to, but that's still easier said than done since cracking Steam DRM would still be technically illegal under the DMCA.
Are you talking about Shadowrun or Eternity? Because for shadowrun that is the case, but so far for Project Eternity it seems like they're all set to come to GOG.
Start this vid first

then

Start this vid in the foreground and mute the audio

You're welcome.
Okay you made me laugh. Wasn't expecting that. I used a doubler to put them on the same page, but you have to manually mute the KS pitch video. Click here to see.

I think this whole situation really stems from the possibility that HBS needed more money to realize their goals, and they don't have much of a choice this late into the game. I don't think they have poor intentions. Possibly bad decisions along the way. I think other kickstarters might find themselves in similar situations.

For example, I randomly checked the Hero-U page (from the Quest for Glory creators) and they mention possibly doing another kickstarter when they have a demo out. That could go very well or very poorly for them, since it would mean they weren't able to make the game for their initial kickstarter.
SirPrimalform: So glad I didn't back this, I'd be so pissed off right now. The 'licencing deal won't let us' excuse doesn't really work... it just means they ran the kickstarter project prematurely and agreed to things that they ended up not being allowed to do.
This absolutely happened. How pissed at them you want to be because of it is the question.
Kaldurenik: ... Kickstarter is here to help devs or people make the game they want to make by giving them founds. In short one could say that they took parts of the kickstarter money and then said "we will make a dlc with this" And yes i know people that BACKED the project will get the DLC. However people back projects because they want to see it being made. They want the game and ofc as much content in it as possible.
Siannah: ... and they are getting exactly that. Does it matter for a backer if (s)he receives what (s)he payed for in 1 game or in 1 game + several DLCs? Nope.

You're against "backer only" content. The second pledge level of the Shadowrun Returns kickstarter offers a backer only special ingame ability. Is this already too far?
I could understand that point (and would sign it) if a rather big part (like a complete DLC) would be available for backers only. But as an extra incentive in form of a free DLC for backers while non-backers have to pay extra for? Nope.

Immoli: But that's exactly what a stretch goal is. They reach what they had originally needed, and then put the extra money into making the game better for everyone. I didn't preorder Planetary Annihilation and get the Lava Planets and Water Planets DLC for free because I preordered, I helped to fund the creation of a video game which included lava and water planets and the core game had better include those.
Siannah: Nope. Again, extra incentive for backers. Again, for backers it doesn't matter if you'll getting just PA or PA + DLC.
Why are there pre-orders with specific ingame items depending on where you buy it and only if you pre-order? To get people to pre-order in the first place. You don't want it? Don't do it. But also don't feel entitled to get these sometime further down the road as a integral part of the core game.

For the same reason you see that on kickstarters, ranging from rather dubious forum badges to ingame abilities or actual content - to get them to pledge in the first place.
So according to your logic many of the stretch goals for the Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter, like additional companions, Hall of Lingering Reflections, and the player stronghold should only be free for backers and then sold as DLC for everyone else. Gee that makes tons of sense.

http://i.imgur.com/ylyj8LV.jpg

/sarcasm
SirPrimalform: So glad I didn't back this, I'd be so pissed off right now. The 'licencing deal won't let us' excuse doesn't really work... it just means they ran the kickstarter project prematurely and agreed to things that they ended up not being allowed to do.
StingingVelvet: This absolutely happened. How pissed at them you want to be because of it is the question.
Well thankfully I didn't back this, so I don't feel particularly invested in it. I know that I'd be taking it badly if I had backed though...
Post edited April 14, 2013 by SirPrimalform
orcishgamer: People keep getting confused about this.

THEY HAVE A LICENSING AGREEMENT FOR THE IP. Their statements lead me to believe this is self published, they simply had to license the IP from MS, who owns, at the very least, video game rights to Shadowrun (they may own everything, FASA may have been dissolved).

It's a licensing agreement, all indie KS who use an existing IP and don't wholly own it will have one of these.

EDIT: I should clarify, getting a publisher when you have an existing product can still be beneficial, and since you aren't begging for development money and them shouldering a lot of risk you stand to make a much, much better deal. Even if they chose to use an existing publisher, for example to distribute in some parts of the world, they may stand to benefit from KS anyway, because the publisher is largely cut out of the development loop.
tarohilt: Topps has the rest of the rights.

Licensing disclosure is located on their website: http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/categories/game-2
I feel like many who backed this Kickstarter are just getting trolled.
thelovebat: So according to your logic many of the stretch goals for the Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter, like additional companions, Hall of Lingering Reflections, and the player stronghold should only be free for backers and then sold as DLC for everyone else. Gee that makes tons of sense.
Not at all. Again, if a dev wants to put this in the core game - great. But can a non-backer demand it to be that way? Nope. There's no entitlement for non-backers to get, part or all of, the stretch goals too with the base game.