It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We said that post-Berlin Campaign DLC would only be available on Steam but we never said why. We regret the omission. The reason is that our license to develop Shadowrun Returns actually requires that the game and its DLC be distributed under DRM. This didn’t come up earlier...
BadDecissions: The fact that the game and its DLC is required to be distributed under DRM "didn't come up" when they promised a DRM-free version of the game? If you don't view DLC as part of the game then you can argue that they're keeping their word, but I do not admire the way they handled this.
Sounds like almost they had been hiding this....
This *tiny* omission makes me do wonder about other kickstarters which have a license from a publisher like Wasteland 2 on how they will handle any DLC (if any)
Post edited April 12, 2013 by nijuu
low rated
For the five billionth time, GOG already had a thread where they talked about how to handle the issue of DLC on GOG releases. The reaction of people posting here was overwhelmingly negative. I doubt most publishers will bother releasing DLC to GOG.
jackalKnight: I still can't get over how hypocritical this thread is.
People on GOG continually go on about how much they hate paid DLC and refuse to buy it. The moment a game comes out with DLC exclusive to another platform, they whine about not getting access to said DLC and complain about how GOG handles patching compared to Steam (hell, I can even remember people bitching about how GOG's version doesn't grant access to Steamworks!)
You quite didn't follow all that was said. I can understand because this thread grew long, many things were repeated several times and understood differen-tly each time ...... but you are very slightly mistaken, imho.

The summary, or at least the first thing that is 'not cool' is the guys promoting ONE DRM-free game in their kickstarter campaign ... and at the end of the road you have TWO games, one DRM-free and not the other, and these are NOT the SAME GAMES because the later HAS MORE FEATURES.

Once you agree with that there is the DLC policy and so on ... but the main issue is you give money for a cow, at the end of the day the seller give you the choice between a cow with only two legs, or a bull. (I love shitty metaphores).

You can't summarize a 300 post threads with 'you people are hypocrits'.
Post edited April 12, 2013 by Potzato
Has anyone been having trouble logging into the Shadowrun Returns website? I've double and triple checked my log in info and I can't get in.

Edit: Disregard, I was using the wrong password. I've got too many, lol.
Post edited April 12, 2013 by haydenaurion
I can definitely see how a backer with strong DRM feelings would feel betrayed right now. No one should argue against that, it makes sense for them to feel that way.

That said the game looks amazing, exactly what people wanted, and that's the core importance here in my book. As someone who prefers DRM free but accepts Steam/Origin/Uplay when necessary, I am still very excited for the game and hope this doesn't derail a successful release and further content from the development team.

I think people upset about Steamworks are very few and far between, for better or worse.
There are always lots of parties involved, ongoing negotiations and alot of things that the community doesn't know. What the community, the part of the community that supported a DRM Free version, does know is that DLC for the DRM Free version of the gamet hey supported with their money will be steam exclusive as will community made content relying on steam exclusive DLC.

Again, when you put up a page asking people for money upfront there are no good enough excuses, conditionings have to be taken into consideration beforehand and things have to be made crystal clear from the get go.

LOL at the DRM proponents, steamfanbois and assorted jackasses postulating that DRM Free supporters should take an inferior version and be grateful, as if the individual pledges of DRM proponents, and of those who don't give a fuck either way, are somehow worth more than the pledges of those that backed a "DRM Free" kickstarter. The DRM Free premise being used as a means to divide backers into frst rate backers and second rate backers, customers into first rate customers and second rate customers, fans into first rate fans and second rate fans - exactly what we have here, fucking lovely.

The DRM free segment of the market is too small to justify the extra investment/work/hassle/clarity/whatever ? That's fine, just stop winking at that segment when it's time to put your hand out, your page on, whatever, clusterfucks like this one don't help anyone or anything least of all the credibility of any and every kickstarter with the words "DRM Free Version" on it that pops up after this.
hedwards: We were promised a DRM free version of the game, nowhere was there any indication that the DRM free version would be crippled in this way.
orcishgamer: thelovebat was not a backer, he was promised nothing at all.

Nowhere was it promised there'd even be DLC (at least not on the main page, it may have showed up in an update).
You're right, nowhere was it promised that a stretch goal would be sold separately as DLC instead of being part of the base game.
Summary for those who can't be bothered reading the last few pages:

Hedwards is right, orcishgamer is wrong.

:)
low rated
So now people are demanding every single DLC for free? Yep, new publishers will avoid GOG like the plague with this attitude.

If its the first DLC, that is still free for backers in DRM-free form.
Post edited April 12, 2013 by jackalKnight
StingingVelvet: I can definitely see how a backer with strong DRM feelings would feel betrayed right now. No one should argue against that, it makes sense for them to feel that way.

That said the game looks amazing, exactly what people wanted, and that's the core importance here in my book. As someone who prefers DRM free but accepts Steam/Origin/Uplay when necessary, I am still very excited for the game and hope this doesn't derail a successful release and further content from the development team.

I think people upset about Steamworks are very few and far between, for better or worse.
Having not backed that project I shouldn't be complaining at all. Even : I pre-ordered Age of Decadence, several month later they were greenlit so they proposed steam keys for preorderers .... I'm fine with it.

Now, this is kickstarter, so it's far from a common pre-order, there are risks that many backers are certainly not aware of. Backers SHOULD expect a carefull planification from the devs, because, for once he devs get paid in advance. Now in this case the planification didn't seem perfect because the devs reached the conclusion

'After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop.)'

THIS is not good planification in my dictionnary, they should have knew/said this from the start.

Long story short, It sure looks like a great game I totally agree with you, being a former Shadowrun 2nd ed' fan I'll probably get it when a good opportunity occurs. But, because it's the first big kickstarter videogame project to do 'shaddy' things, it's a good thing to rant a little because backers and guys like me can't do much more than complain if these guys begin to deal shit after all.

......That and I'm french so I have to whine on a regular basis.
Post edited April 12, 2013 by Potzato
low rated
Didn't Incredipede do 4 times what it did on GOG when it was released on Steam? I can see why new indies prioritize Steam...
jackalKnight: Didn't Incredipede do 4 times what it did on GOG when it was released on Steam? I can see why new indies prioritize Steam...
Its a matter of people being misled, not the game being on Steam or there even being DRM. Many people who still prefer to have the Steam version don't like how those who want the DRM free version to be supported are being treated.

I could care less if a game gets released on Steam & GOG, as long as both versions are fully supported equally. Even if a DRM free version were sold outside of GOG on the dev's/publisher's website or something I'd still be happy to buy it. Nothing was specified until now which is why people are upset.

And btw no one was saying DLCs should be free, just that they don't like a stretch goal for the Kickstarter being sold as DLC. Many backers were under the impression they would be supporting assets for the base game, and that the stretch goal would be included in the base game hence why they upped their pledge or why some decided they would pledge after all.
Post edited April 12, 2013 by thelovebat
jackalKnight: Didn't Incredipede do 4 times what it did on GOG when it was released on Steam? I can see why new indies prioritize Steam...
thelovebat: Its a matter of people being misled, not the game being on Steam or there even being DRM. Many people who still prefer to have the Steam version don't like how those who want the DRM free version to be supported are being treated.

I could care less if a game gets released on Steam & GOG, as long as both versions are fully supported equally. Even if a DRM free version were sold outside of GOG on their website or something I'd still be happy to buy it. Nothing was specified until now which is why people are upset.

And btw no one was saying DLCs should be free, just that they don't like a stretch goal for the Kickstarter being sold as DLC. Many backers were under the impression they would be supporting assets for the base game, and that the stretch goal would be included in the base game hence why they upped their pledge or why some decided they would pledge after all.
They got the stretch goal, which they backed, for free. They got what they were promised for providing backing for the game. People like me (and you) who did not specifically back the project were never promised anything extra for free or any DRM free version.
thelovebat: Its a matter of people being misled, not the game being on Steam or there even being DRM. Many people who still prefer to have the Steam version don't like how those who want the DRM free version to be supported are being treated.

I could care less if a game gets released on Steam & GOG, as long as both versions are fully supported equally. Even if a DRM free version were sold outside of GOG on their website or something I'd still be happy to buy it. Nothing was specified until now which is why people are upset.

jackalKnight: They got the stretch goal, which they backed, for free. They got what they were promised for providing backing for the game. People like me (and you) who did not specifically back the project were never promised anything extra for free or any DRM free version.
When did I ever say in any of that that I was promised anything? The point is some people pledged or upped their pledge so they could reach the stretch goal. Turns out the stretch goal gets released as DLC, meaning that anyone else who buys the game doesn't in fact get it for free. Many backers were under the impression it would be part of the actual game everyone else would be getting, as you can see by this user comment on the RockPaperShotgun article.
Attachments:
low rated
jackalKnight: They got the stretch goal, which they backed, for free. They got what they were promised for providing backing for the game. People like me (and you) who did not specifically back the project were never promised anything extra for free or any DRM free version.
thelovebat: When did I ever say in any of that that I was promised anything? The point is some people pledged or upped their pledge so they could reach the stretch goal. Turns out the stretch goal gets released as DLC, meaning that anyone else who buys the game doesn't in fact get it for free. Many backers were under the impression it would be part of the actual game everyone else would be getting, as you can see by this user comment on the RockPaperShotgun article.
They were "under the impression". Doesn't mean they were ever told it would be available for everyone. Hence non-backers were never promised any free DLC.