It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fictionvision: You don't need an account to download anything unless you have to pay for it on Desura. When you click a link you click view stand alone downloads and you get a direct link to the file. Same for bought purchases if you are logged in.
amok: hm. You definitely need an account to upload a mod to Mod DB. I am trying to figure out how to download without having one...I only get the option to install Desura (which I have from before). I can see how to get them from Desura, yes, same as downloading a demo.
I just tried and got a file off ModDB without having an account or logged in. I loaded the main page and clicked on the first mod I saw, NProject Mod 2.8.1. After that I clicked Download Now! under the pic then Download Now again on the next page. After that a box popped up similar to the one on Desura that had a link at the top of it to direct download, and the file also started downloading automatically after a few seconds.

Edit: I tried another mod, Cry of Fear 1.0. The page gave two options, Download Now and Download on Desura. The Download Now link sent me to Gamefront. The Download on Desura gave a prompt to install Desura, but one I clicked the Cry of Fear link in the pop up box, it went to the Desura page which allowed a separate download.

Is there a specific mod you are trying that isn't giving a direct download option, either from moddb or desura itself?
Post edited April 10, 2013 by Fictionvision
amok: hm. You definitely need an account to upload a mod to Mod DB. I am trying to figure out how to download without having one...I only get the option to install Desura (which I have from before). I can see how to get them from Desura, yes, same as downloading a demo.
Fictionvision: I just tried and got a file off ModDB without having an account or logged in. I loaded the main page and clicked on the first mod I saw, NProject Mod 2.8.1. After that I clicked Download Now! under the pic then Download Now again on the next page. After that a box popped up similar to the one on Desura that had a link at the top of it to direct download, and the file also started downloading automatically after a few seconds.
mm, seems like all download is handled through Desura's servers. That's fine. You do need to make an account to upload, but it is the same for Nexus and makes sense.
That's my only hesitation with these kickstarters. The first dev, that does this to me, will be treated like EA is. No purchase ever. I hold grudges for a long time. I, thankfully to me and to the devs, missed this KS. So, I will decide when it comes out if I purchase it. SIgns are leading to no purchase, unless DLCs will come to the DRM-Free game.
Elmofongo: Damn you steam, and worse Steam is pretty much fucked up on my laptop (it still works on my bros desktop) because I have left it offline for too long that it basically won't turn back online because I forgot to update so Steam offline is really not Offline.
You could always backup your games, uninstall steam, and redownload the client.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by jjsimp
jjsimp: That's my only hesitation with these kickstarters. The first dev, that does this to me, will be treated like EA is. No purchase ever. I hold grudges for a long time. I, thankfully to me and to the devs, missed this KS. So, I will decide when it comes out if I purchase it. SIgns are leading to no purchase, unless DLCs will come to the DRM-Free game.
Elmofongo: Damn you steam, and worse Steam is pretty much fucked up on my laptop (it still works on my bros desktop) because I have left it offline for too long that it basically won't turn back online because I forgot to update so Steam offline is really not Offline.
jjsimp: You could always backup your games, uninstall steam, and redownload the client.
or just manually delete the steam client and download it again, installing it in same folder. No need to mess around with the games, first time steam runs it will sort itself out
low rated
Its a good idea that they are doing this. Constant stable servers? for no cost? Why wouldn't you do that? The game will have official servers for years to come.
amok: or just manually delete the steam client and download it again, installing it in same folder. No need to mess around with the games, first time steam runs it will sort itself out
That's an option, as well, just the paranoid in me always backs up things before doing something drastic.
silviucc: Yes and no. Games like Deus Ex (the original) are only downloaded via Steam, They do not require Steam to run.
Gonchi: So I can download it, get rid of Steam, back-up the game to an external HD and burn it to a DVD to install and play it whenever I want...?
Yep. Only you would not need to install anything. Once fully downloaded, copy the relevant folder, archive it and store it online in something like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.. (it's not a backup if you only have one copy of it)
Post edited April 10, 2013 by silviucc
low rated
SLP2000: And last thing - big publishers may not be interested in DRM-free people, there are not that many of them. But small devs should think to sell as many units as possible. There are many devs who used DRM for years and when they finally went DRM-free they said that DRM was nonsense from the beginning.
Damn you for dragging me back in!

DRM free and Steam are completely different things from DRM free and securom et al. Indie devs don't use Steam to protect from piracy or any of that nonsense (not that big publishers do that). Steam is simply saving them _a lot_ of money. Money that obviously isn't made up by the DRM free evangelists.

Look at paradox, probably as niche and as "pure PC gaming" you can get in terms of games. And even they only make 5% DRM free sales.

In the end, I care about developers. I care about that they can create the games they want to make and for that I support them. And Steam is offering a great service to indie devs. This very game is the perfect example. HBS isn't using Steam because they are afraid of piracy. Heck, I'm still willing to bet that the DRM part of Steam won't even be activated. They use Steam as a tool to save money. Something I respect. (Which is also why a lot of people have no problem with using Steam. They are not the senseless masses they are always painted as by the DRM free evangelists, but they often use Steam as a deliberate choice after wagering the pros and cons.)

Personally, I hope they offer refunds for those who feel offended by this. At least then this nonesense debate is over. And the 5% - 10% of money they will lose will be more than made up by the Steam preorder.

The debate is even more inane, btw, if you bring up the Nexus as an alternative. As both are third party solutions that need an extra account etc. (Unless all mods are below 2 mb. Which I doubt)
Elmofongo: Hey SimonG long time no see, did you see my Amnesia thread?

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/i_have_beaten_amnesia_the_dark_descent/page1
I don't like to read, I rather watch youtube clips ;-).
Just delete everything expect the Steam.exe and the games. Steam does "fix itself" when you start it again.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by SimonG
Decivre: through Steam, with DRM.
StingingVelvet: Not confirmed Steam version will have DRM.
Oh please... Can you imagine any other reason for making the DLC and the mods only available through Steam against their own backers desires?
StingingVelvet: Not confirmed Steam version will have DRM.
tejozaszaszas: Oh please... Can you imagine any other reason for making the DLC and the mods only available through Steam against their own backers desires?
Oh please... did you actually read the update from HBS? Because they explained WHY they went down that road....

As much as I don't like this move, it's still wait and see for me. People claimed doom and gloom all over Skyrim getting steam workshop'ed - in the end it just wasn't the end for modding it.
low rated
thelovebat: Lets go even further than just continued DRM free support, check out this comment from the article I found quite interesting:

"Zeewolf says:

Another thing that confuses me is that the second city, which was a stretch goal for the game, is now suddenly paid DLC.

I mean, yeah, backers will get it for free. But it was my expectation that I was backing a game project with two cities, thanks to the extra funds. Not a game with one city plus DLC.

I feel making it DLC is a very liberal interpretation of their initial promise, and I don’t like it at all."

So something that the backers likely assumed would be in the game itself being a stretch goal, in fact won't be and it won't be able to be used with the DRM free version that was promised.

Is this a case of bait & switch with the stretch goal, or just betraying the backers' trust with them trusting the judgement of the developer to do the right thing?
As far as i know the second city is actually in the game and the DLCs are for content that were not among the stretch goals.

But anyway, people have already set their minds here. Harebrained are the devils and shall burn in hell, and fuck common sense. I already got downrepped for expressing MY personal opinion. I expected more maturity from GOG's community.
amok: Probably not a single cent.

Yes, the only reason a game gets on Steam is because Valve bribes them.
Nah, don't try to bring common sense into this discussion, it's futile, i've already tried.
FantasyNightmare: haha, fair point. But it seems Steam has exclusivity over DRM and modding. So how will DRM-free versions be able to get any DLC or mods? Hopefully Harebrained allow DRM-free to get the DLC without having to re-buy the game on Steam.
Why would you rebuy the game on Steam? Every backer will get both a DRM-free version and a Steam code.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by Neobr10
tejozaszaszas:
Siannah: Oh please... did you actually read the update from HBS? Because they explained WHY they went down that road....

As much as I don't like this move, it's still wait and see for me. People claimed doom and gloom all over Skyrim getting steam workshop'ed - in the end it just wasn't the end for modding it.
That's not why. Not so much people afraid of being unable to play or mod it elsewhere, as that some gamers here at least backed the game on kickstarter, thinking it would be a 100% DRM-Free version, and would have never put in the cash should it have been revealed from the get-go that there's gonna be DRM after all.

Edit: And some do consider Steam as DRM.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by Nicole28
high rated
Siannah: As much as I don't like this move, it's still wait and see for me. People claimed doom and gloom all over Skyrim getting steam workshop'ed - in the end it just wasn't the end for modding it.
Yeh, but Skyrim wasn't crowd-funded with the promise that the game would be DLC-free.

That's my only problem with this. I don't hate Steam (although I was really hoping for a GOG release, considering the game's pedigree), but I feel that if you explicitly promise your backers, "For PC/Mac/Linux, the game will be available DRM-free from our website" and then (long after you've taken their money and they can no longer do anything about it) you turn around and say, "Oh, by the way, we're planning a bunch of content that won't actually be available to you if you download that version," you are not playing straight with your backers.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by BadDecissions
Speaking as a backer on SRR, reading some of the more inflamatory posts here and specially on the Ks page, makes me do a grand /facepalm, for such things as:
- treating KS as a glorified preorder store when it isnt one , and requesting a refund or making lawsuit threats at the first sign that the finished product is something diferent than imagined.
- ignoring that the game will be availible drm free aswell as the second city on the developer website. I imagine but could be wrong, that by the time the second city dlc is patched to the drm free version it would also patch to the latest public version. So patch support for the game should exist at least untill that dlc comes out.
- consider a god given right to each backer the main game, the second city dlc, aswell as all future created content both from the developer aswell as the comunity from the point of release untill the end of time, wich has to be made availible at the personal whim of said backer.
- expect ad eternum support for the game from the developer.
- make all kinds of theories as facts
- Disregard and consider a personal insult the choice of steam when it has several advanfages for the developer.

Personnaly i don´t care much about their update, perhaps some disapointment if indeed the user created content cant be shared between the steam version and the drm free version, but hardly worth getting all fussed about it.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by darkangelz
mondo84: Yea I only realized a couple months ago that Mod DB was connected to and more or less run by Desura. But I think Mod DB has content for non-Desura games as well, like Half-Life 2 mods. But I'm not sure if those HL2 mods are standalone games or require HL2 to run.
It's exactly the other way around, Mod DB existed for a long time before Desura and even Indie DB. The HL2 mods do require HL2 to run, of course, every mod needs the base game.