It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ultimate cosmic power has never been so near!

Wizardry 8, an epic conclusion to the Dark Savant saga, successfully transferring one of the most prominent classic RPG series into the realm of modern 3D graphics and featuring 200+ hours of challenging and diverse gameplay--DRM-free on GOG.com, for only $9.99

[url=http://www.gog.com/gamecard/wizardry_8][/url]There's a reason gamers like to refer to the classic RPGs like Wizardry or Might and Magic series, as the games of the good old times. The transition from 2D sprite-based graphics into the realm of 3D marked a distinctive line after which role-play gaming was changed for ever, and in many cases not in the way fans hoped for. Wizardry 8 was one of the very few games, that achieved a great feat--it adopted to the new era of gaming without losing its original spirit and old-school charm. When released 9 years after the previous game in the series, It was praised for staying true to what made its predecessors great and memorable. This allowed all the fans of classic Wizardry games to experience the conclusion to the Dark Savant saga in the only way they would accept as true, while keeping up with the contemporary standards.

Wizardry 8 allows you to import your party from the previous game and complete the Dark Savant trilogy in the company of old friends.Offering yet another 200 or more hours of deep, original, and satisfying gameplay it was dubbed a worthy successor of the classic series, and a well written conclusion to the entire story. So, there you have it hardcore role-playing fans--paired with Wizardry 6+7 its a classic trilogy that takes about 700 hours total to beat. Isn't that simply mindblowing?

You cannot hide nor delete a legend! Complete one of the greatest RPG sagas in existence--the story of the Dark Savant--get Wizardry 8 for only $9.99 on GOG.com.
Protoss: Where is Wizardry 1-5?
teshra: Can we just not be happy with what is there instead of seeing the same complaints over and over again anytime a new title (or in this case titles) makes it here? Good god, GOG jst released #### game and inevitably there is the same old tired posts.....where is this other game, game looks like crap, when is this coming instead, I don't care for this, yadda yadda yadda.
Seriously, what goes thru some of your heads right before posting? Hope people who make posts like this don't see all aspects of their lives with a glass half empty mentality.

Didn't mean to target you but its only been a week since the game was released. Not only that, you've been on GOG for 4 years...how do you not know how things work around here by now?
In his case, it's just a question and not even directed at you. -_0 And a very good question, because generally GOG starts with the first few entries in his series, and as far as we know, there shouldn't be anything holding 1-5 back. So why can't we ask it?

I can understand that writing "this game looks like crap" adds nothing to the discussion going on here, but other statements like "I don't care for this" are just opinions. It's absurd to think that we'll do nothing but shower praise on everything that comes here.

And you seem to be complaining about the complainers...
Greenberg's lawsuit.
teshra: Can we just not be happy with what is there instead of seeing the same complaints over and over again anytime a new title (or in this case titles) makes it here? Good god, GOG jst released #### game and inevitably there is the same old tired posts.....where is this other game, game looks like crap, when is this coming instead, I don't care for this, yadda yadda yadda.
Seriously, what goes thru some of your heads right before posting? Hope people who make posts like this don't see all aspects of their lives with a glass half empty mentality.

Didn't mean to target you but its only been a week since the game was released. Not only that, you've been on GOG for 4 years...how do you not know how things work around here by now?
tfishell: In his case, it's just a question and not even directed at you. -_0 And a very good question, because generally GOG starts with the first few entries in his series, and as far as we know, there shouldn't be anything holding 1-5 back. So why can't we ask it?

I can understand that writing "this game looks like crap" adds nothing to the discussion going on here, but other statements like "I don't care for this" are just opinions. It's absurd to think that we'll do nothing but shower praise on everything that comes here.

Not always, I think there were a quite a few cases where GOG started with latter installments in a series, yes when possible they start with the earliest games first but in cases of legal issues, compatibility issues to whatever, they then go with what they can release in this case 6-8 and on the same day too(which is rare for GOG) which I am very,very happy about since Wizardry along with Ultima, Might and Magic and the SSI era AD&D games made my youth and will always hold a place in my heart, plus Wizardry as all as Might and Magic aged alot better then the early Ultima's did, maybe not in graphics since it was just wireframe dungeons with static images for monsters but the interface is still much easier to get used too and the gameplay is simple enough that it's easy to pick up yet the difficulty levels of them keep you from breezing through them.

Anyway if there isn't a legal issue, which from what I seen is not very likely since from what I read about the proceedings between series creator Andrew Greenberg and Sir Tech, he was owed royalties from them based on their deal either when he was employed by them or after his departure so I doubt that same debt will transfer over to the new rights holder, barring a new set of court proceedings anyway and even then he will have a tough time showing the court that a company that he had no dealing with to begin with and had no contractual obligation or anything like that with him will owe him money. Then there may be other reasons maybe Gamepot doesn't have the rights to release 1-5, maybe GOG is holding off on them till they find a way to make transferring your party from 1 to 2 and 3 easier since you can not play them without a transferred party, who but GOG really knows. If 1-5 do ever come here I will be happy especially if they take my advice and set the dosbox configs to run DOSbox in CGA mode so we don't have the fugly shades of purple colours.

Oh and maybe a box of tissues in the extra's for all the tears of pain people will have when playing Wizardry 4
tfishell: In his case, it's just a question and not even directed at you. -_0 And a very good question, because generally GOG starts with the first few entries in his series, and as far as we know, there shouldn't be anything holding 1-5 back. So why can't we ask it?

In my case, its just an observation and not even directed at you. -_0 And a pretty astute observation, because generally GOG starts with the games they can secure a deal for, whether its licensing or pricing or even profitability. And as far as we know, there could be a lot holding 1-5 back. Unless of course some of us are in the GOG negotiating rooms and know exactly what goes on behind the scenes. So why do we need to ask it in every single new release thread?

I can understand being excited for a game or a series and wanting to have it just now. But why keep asking the same thing over and over week after week, perhaps even when its definitely been asked before in the same thread somewhere in the 270 prior posts? Its absurd to think we can't question the proper reasoning behind a rather lame question without being accused of being a GOG fanboy and wanting to shower praise upon everything that comes here.

And you seem to be complaining about the complainers complaining about the complainers....

For the record, I wasn't complaining. It was a logical question that I've seen time and time again over the last 2 years every time a new game is released here. I finally had time and desire to question the motives behind such a question. If as you say, it wasn't directed at me, then why post in the forums? He or others like him could easily send an email or pm to someone at GOG with less than 5 words by asking "Where is Wizardry 1-5?". See how that sounds if directed only at a company and not to the forum community? As it was directed to the community, of which you and I are a part of, I had a right to question it this time. I may ignore it again now for the next 200 times it happens this year, but if I am so inclined again down the road, I am within my forum member rights to respond if the question was asked in a community thread.
oasis789: Greenberg's lawsuit.
One would wonder why Greenberg even cares anymore that Sir-Tech's greedy executives stopped paying him royalties for Wizardry 1-5 over 20 years ago. Sir-Tech is dead, wouldn't he want more people to actually play the games he created?
teshra: For the record, I wasn't complaining. It was a logical question that I've seen time and time again over the last 2 years every time a new game is released here. I finally had time and desire to question the motives behind such a question. If as you say, it wasn't directed at me, then why post in the forums? He or others like him could easily send an email or pm to someone at GOG with less than 5 words by asking "Where is Wizardry 1-5?". See how that sounds if directed only at a company and not to the forum community? As it was directed to the community, of which you and I are a part of, I had a right to question it this time. I may ignore it again now for the next 200 times it happens this year, but if I am so inclined again down the road, I am within my forum member rights to respond if the question was asked in a community thread.
I'd assume he was anticipating catching a bluetext's eye, as they occasionally hang out here. I am catching more of what you were saying as to "complaining", but your initial post does come across as one that was created in a moment of angry emotion. (I would next time suggest telling Protoss that he should send GOG an email about this [as to what is holding Wiz1-5, rather than asking in a forum.)

I guess what I'm saying is, people are more likely to listen to someone if they speak or write in a relatively kind manner. (which I guess I didn't really do above, my apologies)
Post edited May 28, 2013 by tfishell
oasis789: Greenberg's lawsuit.
Crosmando: One would wonder why Greenberg even cares anymore that Sir-Tech's greedy executives stopped paying him royalties for Wizardry 1-5 over 20 years ago. Sir-Tech is dead, wouldn't he want more people to actually play the games he created?
Sometimes people get weird about the stuff they've created (or helped create). If they don't feel like they've been appropriately reimbursed or appreciated, they'll take their ball and go home, audiences be damned. "You don't deserve to play my game!" so to speak.
Protoss: Where is Wizardry 1-5?

Dear fellow GOGer,

I am very happy that Wizardry 8 is released on GOG, and also about Wizardry 6+7, I just would love to have the complete series. In fact, a friend offered me to bring Wizardry 8 on his CD because he said it is a great game!
My question in no way is meant as a complaint, and I don't want to say anything against Wizardry 8. As far as I see from the screenshots, it looks great, very much like the beloved Might & Magic 3-5 games.

Also, I know how things work here. I waited for Settlers 3 for ages and it finally came. So I am just curious:
Does GOG have the rights for 1-5 and will release them, or can't we expect them in the near future?

Please take my apologies if my question came over wrongly. Words without knowing your "opponent" can be misleading often.
Protoss: Dear fellow GOGer,

I am very happy that Wizardry 8 is released on GOG, and also about Wizardry 6+7, I just would love to have the complete series. In fact, a friend offered me to bring Wizardry 8 on his CD because he said it is a great game!
My question in no way is meant as a complaint, and I don't want to say anything against Wizardry 8. As far as I see from the screenshots, it looks great, very much like the beloved Might & Magic 3-5 games.

Also, I know how things work here. I waited for Settlers 3 for ages and it finally came. So I am just curious:
Does GOG have the rights for 1-5 and will release them, or can't we expect them in the near future?

Please take my apologies if my question came over wrongly. Words without knowing your "opponent" can be misleading often.
this is great :)
The final "definite classic" CPRG series is now on GOG! No more getting dodgy copies and compatibility issues! (It was probably the only old games that I was going to get physically)

teshra: In my case, its just an observation and not even directed at you. -_0 And a pretty astute observation, because generally GOG starts with the games they can secure a deal for, whether its licensing or pricing or even profitability. And as far as we know, there could be a lot holding 1-5 back. Unless of course some of us are in the GOG negotiating rooms and know exactly what goes on behind the scenes. So why do we need to ask it in every single new release thread?

I can understand being excited for a game or a series and wanting to have it just now. But why keep asking the same thing over and over week after week, perhaps even when its definitely been asked before in the same thread somewhere in the 270 prior posts? Its absurd to think we can't question the proper reasoning behind a rather lame question without being accused of being a GOG fanboy and wanting to shower praise upon everything that comes here.

And you seem to be complaining about the complainers complaining about the complainers....

For the record, I wasn't complaining. It was a logical question that I've seen time and time again over the last 2 years every time a new game is released here. I finally had time and desire to question the motives behind such a question. If as you say, it wasn't directed at me, then why post in the forums? He or others like him could easily send an email or pm to someone at GOG with less than 5 words by asking "Where is Wizardry 1-5?". See how that sounds if directed only at a company and not to the forum community? As it was directed to the community, of which you and I are a part of, I had a right to question it this time. I may ignore it again now for the next 200 times it happens this year, but if I am so inclined again down the road, I am within my forum member rights to respond if the question was asked in a community thread.
About why no 1-5 I assume it's profitability. After all not many would choose 1-5 when 6-8 is on offer and is way better (or so I'm told). Releasing 1-5 separately would allow them to sell on their merits if you get where I'm coming from.

Sadly GOG will not say anything concerning upcoming releases baring pre-orders or when info get's leaked like what happened with SS2 and Wizardry 6-8 and even in those cases they still stay mum on the whole thing,this is done for a lot of reasons: last minute compatibility issues, last minute legal issues, and other things that can prevent a game from getting released here.

So if/when they do have 1-5 on the release schedule we won't know till it's here. A shame because I would also like
to get 1-5 here if only for 1,2,4, and 5(I don't care for 3)

McDon: The final "definite classic" CPRG series is now on GOG! No more getting dodgy copies and compatibility issues! (It was probably the only old games that I was going to get physically)
teshra: In my case, its just an observation and not even directed at you. -_0 And a pretty astute observation, because generally GOG starts with the games they can secure a deal for, whether its licensing or pricing or even profitability. And as far as we know, there could be a lot holding 1-5 back. Unless of course some of us are in the GOG negotiating rooms and know exactly what goes on behind the scenes. So why do we need to ask it in every single new release thread?

McDon: About why no 1-5 I assume it's profitability. After all not many would choose 1-5 when 6-8 is on offer and is way better (or so I'm told). Releasing 1-5 separately would allow them to sell on their merits if you get where I'm coming from.
I don't see that ever being the case, if GOG turned down older titles because of profitability then we wouldn't have Ultima's 1-6,(Well 1-5), The early Might and Magics, the classic text based Zork games, Waxworks, ect. nor would we have generally panned titles such as Daikatana, Ultima 9, Might and Magic 9, Masters of Orion 3, Deus Ex: Invisible War, and quite a number of others. So if GOG can't release 1-5 it's definitely not because of "profitability" it's either A. Gamepot is not willing to allow GOG to sell 1-5, B. GOG is holding them back till they can find a way to allow players to easily transfer their party members as you can not play 2 and 3 without importing your party from the previous titles or C. the issue with series creatror Andrew Greenburg and his back royalties
Post edited May 29, 2013 by DCT

DCT: Sadly GOG will not say anything concerning upcoming releases baring pre-orders or when info get's leaked like what happened with SS2 and Wizardry 6-8 and even in those cases they still stay mum on the whole thing,this is done for a lot of reasons: last minute compatibility issues, last minute legal issues, and other things that can prevent a game from getting released here.

So if/when they do have 1-5 on the release schedule we won't know till it's here. A shame because I would also like

McDon: The final "definite classic" CPRG series is now on GOG! No more getting dodgy copies and compatibility issues! (It was probably the only old games that I was going to get physically)

About why no 1-5 I assume it's profitability. After all not many would choose 1-5 when 6-8 is on offer and is way better (or so I'm told). Releasing 1-5 separately would allow them to sell on their merits if you get where I'm coming from.
DCT: I don't see that ever being the case, if GOG turned down older titles because of profitability then we wouldn't have Ultima's 1-6,(Well 1-5), The early Might and Magics, the classic text based Zork games, Waxworks, ect. nor would we have generally panned titles such as Daikatana, Ultima 9, Might and Magic 9, Masters of Orion 3, Deus Ex: Invisible War, and quite a number of others. So if GOG can't release 1-5 it's definitely not because of "profitability" it's either A. Gamepot is not willing to allow GOG to sell 1-5, B. GOG is holding them back till they can find a way to allow players to easily transfer their party members as you can not play 2 and 3 without importing your party from the previous titles or C. the issue with series creatror Andrew Greenburg and his back royalties
I never said turn down, I was talking about why they'd release the older titles separately. I was referring to quality more than age.
Post edited May 29, 2013 by McDon
DCT: Sadly GOG will not say anything concerning upcoming releases baring pre-orders or when info get's leaked like what happened with SS2 and Wizardry 6-8 and even in those cases they still stay mum on the whole thing,this is done for a lot of reasons: last minute compatibility issues, last minute legal issues, and other things that can prevent a game from getting released here.

I don't see that ever being the case, if GOG turned down older titles because of profitability then we wouldn't have Ultima's 1-6,(Well 1-5), The early Might and Magics, the classic text based Zork games, Waxworks, ect. nor would we have generally panned titles such as Daikatana, Ultima 9, Might and Magic 9, Masters of Orion 3, Deus Ex: Invisible War, and quite a number of others. So if GOG can't release 1-5 it's definitely not because of "profitability" it's either A. Gamepot is not willing to allow GOG to sell 1-5, B. GOG is holding them back till they can find a way to allow players to easily transfer their party members as you can not play 2 and 3 without importing your party from the previous titles or C. the issue with series creatror Andrew Greenburg and his back royalties
McDon: I never said turn down, I was talking about why they'd release the older titles separately. I was referring to quality more than age.
I know what you were saying and again my point is if that was ever a case with older titles Ultima 1+2+3, Daikatana, MOO3, and all the others I listed would not be here period.
just imagine all the work and testing and making sure they work properly on all the systems, of ALL these huge games, only to find that just a minority of gamers would buy them and actually play them (face it, even Wizardry 6 looks horrible - it was released the same year as Stonekeep, look at the difference!)

maybe they could release them for free, without testing, just for the collectors to be happy...
Kunovski: (face it, even Wizardry 6 looks horrible - it was released the same year as Stonekeep, look at the difference!)
Stonekeep came out in 1995, while Wizardry 6 came out in 1990.