It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ultimate cosmic power has never been so near!

Wizardry 8, an epic conclusion to the Dark Savant saga, successfully transferring one of the most prominent classic RPG series into the realm of modern 3D graphics and featuring 200+ hours of challenging and diverse gameplay--DRM-free on GOG.com, for only $9.99

[url=http://www.gog.com/gamecard/wizardry_8][/url]There's a reason gamers like to refer to the classic RPGs like Wizardry or Might and Magic series, as the games of the good old times. The transition from 2D sprite-based graphics into the realm of 3D marked a distinctive line after which role-play gaming was changed for ever, and in many cases not in the way fans hoped for. Wizardry 8 was one of the very few games, that achieved a great feat--it adopted to the new era of gaming without losing its original spirit and old-school charm. When released 9 years after the previous game in the series, It was praised for staying true to what made its predecessors great and memorable. This allowed all the fans of classic Wizardry games to experience the conclusion to the Dark Savant saga in the only way they would accept as true, while keeping up with the contemporary standards.

Wizardry 8 allows you to import your party from the previous game and complete the Dark Savant trilogy in the company of old friends.Offering yet another 200 or more hours of deep, original, and satisfying gameplay it was dubbed a worthy successor of the classic series, and a well written conclusion to the entire story. So, there you have it hardcore role-playing fans--paired with Wizardry 6+7 its a classic trilogy that takes about 700 hours total to beat. Isn't that simply mindblowing?

You cannot hide nor delete a legend! Complete one of the greatest RPG sagas in existence--the story of the Dark Savant--get Wizardry 8 for only $9.99 on GOG.com.
JudasIscariot: And so it is one now :D
Cool! (well, it will be cool, when I have the game, if not blind me first! ;p)
ISC: One thing I want to ask about carrying the same party from W6 to 8:

How does the import work? You get the same character with the same stats and level 1?
And how about items? You get your sword of dismemberment or the items are toned down (or even deleted)?
You can't directly import from 6 to 8. It goes 6-7 and 7-8.

A high level import character gets bonus stats and skills, but not as high as the previous game. So level 20 becomes level 5 etc.

You can keep some items but not the most powerful ones. Depending on item value each import character can transfer 1 high-level item and some mid-level items.
oasis789: You can't directly import from 6 to 8. It goes 6-7 and 7-8.
I know, I know. Blame my poor communication skill. I was trying to ask about using the same party in all three games.

oasis789: A high level import character gets bonus stats and skills, but not as high as the previous game. So level 20 becomes level 5 etc.

You can keep some items but not the most powerful ones. Depending on item value each import character can transfer 1 high-level item and some mid-level items.
Thanks for the info. So I take its very very preferably to start with an imported party than a generated one (unlike EOB2 where the imported party was only marginally better than the generated one).
ISC: Thanks for the info. So I take its very very preferably to start with an imported party than a generated one (unlike EOB2 where the imported party was only marginally better than the generated one).
Generally importing is always a good idea. From 6->7 you can even start with some of the ultimate gear if you want, though I usually find that to be kinda boring. Having the Muramasa Blade from the beginning kinda ruins the challenge IMO.

Personally I think everyone should start from 6 and play all the way through all three games, but if your only goal is to play 8 then for a first-time player you should probably just start with 8. You'll start at level 1, which means you'll have an easier time fighting level 1 monsters and in general life will be easier as you're learning the game. Trying to fight Metallic Slimes in the Monastery on your first game probably isn't a great idea. Once you understand how the game works, feel free to use 6+7 as import fodder, but that's kind of a waste, since they're great games.
DeadlyRamon: Full disclosure: I recently purchased a Falcon NW pc, it should be arriving any day now, so I am admittedly an unabashed Falcon fanboy.
CrowTRobo: They are still around?!? Wow, I'm impressed. I remember seeing their ads in Computer Gaming World back in 93-94. Always wanted one of their systems but they were so expensive.
Yeah, and after playing GOG's Wizardry 8 release am I happy to report that the Falcon Northwest screen that displays as you exit the game is still there!

You may not know it from looking at the game's dated graphics (which I think still look great), but the game at the time (2001) taxed the system resources of most machines at the time (Pentium IIIs and IVs), especially at the game's highest settings. Some people were a little offended by the reminder upon a game session's termination of their machines' inferiority that the Falcon ad presented. It didn't bother me, even though my computer at the time (Pentium IV 1.4 GHz, 256 megabytes of RAM, a 32 gigabyte Geforce 2 3D card, Windows 98, onboard sound) was far below the Falcon standard, though it was great for that time.
coldtony: Jeeze. Wizardry 8 is a great game but man oh man do you get swarmed by enemies. Don't think I ever finished it - got ground down by a million battles.
jamotide: Use wizfast.exe, its a speed fix, it makes the battles really fast, speed can be adjusted from slightly faster to beam me up scotty.

http://wolfie.wiz8.de/Wiz8Fast.html
Thanks, I'll try that if I get around to re-buying it, though it was mainly the quantity of the battles, not so much the speed. Maybe. Hmm. Been a while...
Milestone release!
Wow, for some reason I didn't get an e-mail announcement about this release, so only just happened to visit GOG now and saw the news. This is great news - I've been wanting to try Wiz8 for years but figured if I bought a boxed copy it would be a huge hassle to get it running on a modern OS. Wizardry is a nostalgic title for me as I remember playing the first in the series for many hours on the Apple II+ back in the early '80s. So this (and Wiz6/7, since the price is so cheap) is an insta-buy for me.
Looks like RPS and PC Gamer both dropped the ball on even mentioning this. They're typically better about picking up on bigger releases such as these. Oh well.

While I'm totally interested in all three Wizardry games, I probably should hold off. First off, I don't have 700 hours of game time right now - who does? - and, secondly, I should really work on some of my backlog. I've been thinking about finally diving back into M&M. I can always grab these later.
Post edited May 24, 2013 by mistermumbles
DeadlyRamon: (Pentium IV 1.4 GHz, 256 megabytes of RAM, a 32 gigabyte Geforce 2 3D card, Windows 98, onboard sound) was far below the Falcon standard, though it was great for that time.
That should be 32 megabyte GeForce, right? Otherwise that would be most impressive for 2001. :)

I think I was running it on an AthlonXP 1900, 256mb RAM and a Kyro 3D card - anyone remember those? The same chip used in the Dreamcast. Unfortunately due to financial reasons, I used this same setup for 7 years. The CPU was originally a 1500 but it died while under warranty. AMD sent me the 1900 as a replacement!
I have actually never played this, but there was a time when I tried hard to buy it (as I had heard many good things about it) - without succeeding. In other words; exciting release! I'll buy it within a few days.
I played some Wizardry in PS2 but it looked lot like else.. I mean 8.

I also say that in my country driving assholes cant do anything.. They just pissed me off.. I will need my socks, lighter and turkish peppers.
Antimateria: I played some Wizardry in PS2 but it looked lot like else.. I mean 8.

I also say that in my country driving assholes cant do anything.. They just pissed me off.. I will need my socks, lighter and turkish peppers.
What? Never mind. I don't want to know.
Great work GoG!! Getting this game must have been hard! And seems you did a pretty good job packing it up too!
IMO the Wizardry guys should kickstart a new project - make Wizardry 9 with today's graphics, while staying true to the original ambience.