It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

An Indy platformer.

Spelunky, an addictive, highly-polished roguelike platformer full of arcade challenge, high adventure in randomly generated stages, and heaps of ancient treasures gleaming in the dark, is available 10% off on GOG.com. That's only $13.49 for the first week!

EXTRA! Don't miss our Website Spelunking Challenge! Find golden idols on GOG.com and win one of the cute Spelunky Minis!

A hat, a whip, an attitude, and hunger for adventure--that's all it takes to start your amazing journey into the ominous depths of the ancient temple. The legend has it, that the place holds--among its many secrets--the ultimate treasure of a lost civilization. Beware, though: the underground is swarming with strange monsters and it's full of traps that will end your adventure in the goriest, bloodiest possible ways. There's magic in these caverns and walls, though, that twists time and space. You'll be doomed to repeat your attempts at braving the trap-filled rooms again, and again--and each time they will look different. Such is the amazing power of this place. Will you dare to explore it?

Spelunky is a platformer that challenges you to beat a series of proceduraly-generated stages. Easy as it may seem at first, the task proves to be extremely challenging. Every step you take without dying is a success, and the exit seems to elude you in every level. Trying to grab as many riches on the way, rescue a girl or a boy trapped somewhere near, and make it to the end of the stage in a given time takes more than a little practice. With sleek 2D graphics, great gameplay diversity provided by many power-ups and special locations, and difficulty level that gets really extreme at times, this game will keep you entertained for many, many hours.

If you're the type of person who likes to laugh danger in the face, perform daring rescues, explore ancient ruins, and hunt for unimaginable riches, take on the life of a archaeologist/adventurer in Spelunky, for only $13.49! The 10% off discount offer will last until Thursday, August 15, at 9:59AM GMT.
Bloodygoodgames: ROTFL, they really should say, shouldn't they? Or we'll all be hanging around for hours on end waiting for the Big T and his 'announcement'. :)
G-Doc: Soon as in: right now on our Instagram!
Lol! The duct tape is hilarious. :-)
Bloodygoodgames: ROTFL, they really should say, shouldn't they? Or we'll all be hanging around for hours on end waiting for the Big T and his 'announcement'. :)
Obviously it's way past my bedtime as that just went right over my head :)

Thanks anyway. I'll just keep waiting until the games themselves pop up, as I have no idea what that photo means, LOL.
Bloodygoodgames: Obviously it's way past my bedtime as that just went right over my head :)

Thanks anyway. I'll just keep waiting until the games themselves pop up, as I have no idea what that photo means, LOL.
It's a video. Press play.
Bloodygoodgames: And, as I've said before, and GOG has obviously intimated over the last couple of years, long-term GOG would simply NOT survive if they weren't selling indies as well as classics. There aren't enough classics that they can get to keep the site afloat long term, IMO, AND with classic gamers being a relatively finite bunch, when we all own the classic games we want, then how does GOG survive?

The bitching about indies gets OLD. It's juvenile, it's self-centered and me me me, and it shows a clear lack of understanding about how a website operates and how much money a business like GOG needs to survive.

Don't like indies, then don't buy them. But for Fucks sake - SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT -- most of us are sick of hearing it.
Bit blunt, but I agree with your overall message. When an indie game comes out here and you see several pages in the topic by the time you get online, it's almost like a game to guess how much of it is complaints. Be it about GOG releasing indie games or people going "I'm getting this on Steam instead!"

For the game, I give them credit for putting in effort to provide different stuff for each version and not just cutting out things for some sites and charging the same price. Eurogamer giving it a 10/10 is good, but I consider a good chunk of the games they have given a 10 to be overrated, so that makes me a bit paranoid. :P

Like a few others, my finances took a hit recently so I'll wait to see what this weekend's promo is before deciding if I can get the game right now. Time to see if any video reviews/previews are up for it yet.
When can we expect the humble release? :(
Fred_DM: funny this got downrated even though it's completely true.

and who in their right mind buys indies outside of bundles anymore? i'd feel stupid paying $13 for a game you'll be able to purchase for as little as $1 after a few months or even weeks.
Bloodygoodgames: Well, guess I'm not in my 'right mind' but I buy most indies out of bundles as not only do I review them for my website, so need to do that close to release and not six months later, I also prefer having them all in one place rather than scattered over 10 different sites.

Many of us do, IMO.
Your own website?
Is it some kind of gaming blog?
Migth be intrested to follow, unless its in Thai.
Lodium: Your own website?
It's in English.

And yes, indies don't catch my attention often but when they do - almost always only by offering demo -, I pay as much as possible. In the fact, I was very skeptical about WadjetEye games and buy them super cheap in bundle on GOG. The series was great, I felt like a cheapskate, so I bought another one full price for my friend :).
PC indies and PC games with characters or themes I have missed are something I pay to support rather than simply play.
I installed and played a bit of the original freeware Spelunky, and I am quite sure I've played it before.

And if the remake is similar, I still don't get it why it is so highly regarded (10/10). Maybe I should play it more to understand it. So I am still hesitant to buy the remake.
Post edited August 08, 2013 by timppu
timppu: I installed and played a bit of the original freeware Spelunky, and I am quite sure I've played it before.

And if the remake is similar, I still don't get it why it is so highly regarded (10/10). Maybe I should play it more to understand it. So I am still hesitant to buy the remake.
I haven't played the remake yet, but I think the original is fantastic because I think it's one of the few games that really gets procedural generation right. It's a great example of a game that implements a variety of simple systems that all come together to generate elegant gameplay that is stimulating and challenging no matter how often you play.

I'll admit that when I first discovered the game, I liked it but wasn't blown away. But when I went back to it and started concentrating harder on learning and progressing, something switched on and my opinion of it just kept climbing.
Zoidberg: When can we expect the humble release? :(
Dont be a cheapskate.
Bloodygoodgames: And, as I've said before, and GOG has obviously intimated over the last couple of years, long-term GOG would simply NOT survive if they weren't selling indies as well as classics. There aren't enough classics that they can get to keep the site afloat long term, IMO, AND with classic gamers being a relatively finite bunch, when we all own the classic games we want, then how does GOG survive?

The bitching about indies gets OLD. It's juvenile, it's self-centered and me me me, and it shows a clear lack of understanding about how a website operates and how much money a business like GOG needs to survive.

Don't like indies, then don't buy them. But for Fucks sake - SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT -- most of us are sick of hearing it.
Fictionvision: Bit blunt, but I agree with your overall message. When an indie game comes out here and you see several pages in the topic by the time you get online, it's almost like a game to guess how much of it is complaints. Be it about GOG releasing indie games or people going "I'm getting this on Steam instead!"

For the game, I give them credit for putting in effort to provide different stuff for each version and not just cutting out things for some sites and charging the same price. Eurogamer giving it a 10/10 is good, but I consider a good chunk of the games they have given a 10 to be overrated, so that makes me a bit paranoid. :P

Like a few others, my finances took a hit recently so I'll wait to see what this weekend's promo is before deciding if I can get the game right now. Time to see if any video reviews/previews are up for it yet.
Yep, I'm a bit blunt sometimes. Probably comes from being British :)

The complaining about the indie game releases really makes me angry, as none of the twits who do it stoop to think for one second that a lot of the time the developer is reading the forum to find out what people think.

And many developers are really excited to be able to get their games on places like GOG. Imagine how they must feel when they just see page after page of tossers complaining about it, just because it's a game THEY don't want on GOG.

Like I said, juvenile :)

Bloodygoodgames: Obviously it's way past my bedtime as that just went right over my head :)

yyahoo: It's a video. Press play.
LOL, yep, it WAS obviously past my bed time as I missed that.
Bloodygoodgames: Well, guess I'm not in my 'right mind' but I buy most indies out of bundles as not only do I review them for my website, so need to do that close to release and not six months later, I also prefer having them all in one place rather than scattered over 10 different sites.

Many of us do, IMO.
Lodium: Your own website?
Hey, yep, gaming blog (hence my userid :)

http://www.bloodygoodgames.com

It's not on the same level as Eurogamer, PCGamer etc (would love to have time to write incredibly in-depth articles about games, but I own 6 other websites as well that are my bread and butter (BloodyGoodGames is my hobby, fun site), so I don't have the time.

I love running the site, though, as it really helps me keep up on gaming news etc.

Oh and no, it's not in Thai. I speak Thai (I'm British)/American but have lived in Thailand for 10 years) but couldn't read it for love nor money. And there's no way I can write much more in Thai than the address of my apartment block, LOL.
Post edited August 08, 2013 by Bloodygoodgames
Zoidberg: When can we expect the humble release? :(
nijuu: Dont be a cheapskate.
Uh? What's wrong with you?

Oh maybe you think I meant the Humble Indie BUNDLE.

I meant the Humble Store release: paying the full price (-10%) in dollar to have the game drm-free AND a steam key.
Why would u want drm free and a steam key?
nijuu: Why would u want drm free and a steam key?
For me it's always the best option. Something like steam_and_gog_in_one. I've bought FTL, Retro City, Legend of Grimrock this way. Not to mention, that humble store has the lowest margin.
nijuu: Why would u want drm free and a steam key?
Best of both worlds.