It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fear is faceless.

Slender: The Arrival, a FPP horror game based on a modern urban legend that became so popular, that one might expect to find a bit of truth in it, is now available 25% off on GOG.com. That's only $7.49 for the first week!

That cold shard of glass stuck in your chest, sending chills around your body with every desparate breath you take--that's fear. That sudden dryness in your mouth, when you realize that the worst is about to and it's too late to do anything--that's fear. That hot rush causing you to sweat faster than you can even start to think rationally--that's fear. That feeling of spinning in your head as you stare down and see that it's a long way to go--that's fear. That impulse to scream and run when the light suddenly goes out at the flick of a switch--that's fear. That urge to lay down and curl up motionless at the sudden noise right behind you--that's fear. Fear--one of the humankind's eldest and closest companions. It helped us to survive when the wilderness was still untamed and the night wasn't yet torn apart with the flashes of electric lights. We've learned to overcome our terrors. We're being told that it's a good thing to face your fears. But how do you face one that is faceless?

Slender: The Arrival is a FPP survival horror game that continues the mythos of the Slender Man, an urban legend phenomenon. Made by the people who brought you the original Slender: The Eight Pages, the Marble Hornets web series, and the original propagator of Slender lore, this game takes the experience to a whole new level. It uses high-end graphics, intense gameplay, and unsettling soundtrack (included in MP3 format with this release) to make your heart race and your mind stop time after time. If you're looking for a game that will blast you out of your comfort zone - here it is.

There's nothing in the world that could possibly help you prepare yourself for Slender: The Arrival, now for only $7.49 on GOG.com. The offer lasts until Tuesday, April 16, at 10:59AM GMT.
Fenixp: I wonder who Nyarlathotep from Cthulhu mythos rips off, because I can assure you he does rip off something :-P
I don't think so. Lovecraft's a sick bastard like noone before/after. (In a good way - I guess)
Fuzzyfireball: I can never get over how many self-entitled dickheads there are on this site, freaking out and stomping their feet every time a game they don't like gets released.
Bloodygoodgames: Yep, I've never seen it anywhere else and just don't get it.
I have seen it in one other context: board game stores. The older regulars who sit in the back playing strategy games or Dungeons and Dragons are often deeply resentful of all the "Yu-Gi-Oh kiddies" who come in and take up all the table space what with their new-fangled CCGs and suchlike. The older gamers consider this to be "their place", the one place where they can safely engage in a hobby that got them constantly mocked and picked on as kids, and damnit the universe owes them a place like that - so they get intensely territorial and complain that the store shouldn't even be selling CCGs (except the ones they like). But any store owner you ask will just shrug their shoulders and say "What do you think is paying the bills here? It ain't that one board game you pick up every six months or so."

(This is an overgeneralization, obviously, and not true of all board game stores, but it's definitely common enough to count as a "trope".)
Azilut: snip
With great wisdom comes l33t bastardiness.

Obiwan ! This is saruman style !
Lol, since when this game is shovelware? Just because Pewdiepie & co. played it, doesn't mean it's terribad.

It's not a bad game, just too short, thus not really bang for the bucks. But those people really know how to overreact.
wormholewizards: Lol, since when this game is shovelware? Just because Pewdiepie & co. played it, doesn't mean it's terribad.

It's not a bad game, just too short, thus not really bang for the bucks. But those people really know how to overreact.
What, or who rather, is pewdiepie?
Fenixp: I wonder who Nyarlathotep from Cthulhu mythos rips off, because I can assure you he does rip off something :-P
Tsugirai: I don't think so. Lovecraft's a sick bastard like noone before/after. (In a good way - I guess)
Lovecraft took most of his ideas from William Hope Hodgson. As well as bit and pieces from, Arthur Machen, Coleridge, James Malcolm Rymer and pretty much everyone else he read. He gets too much credit for being original when mostly he was aping the work a style of others who wrote better than him.
Tsugirai: I don't think so. Lovecraft's a sick bastard like noone before/after. (In a good way - I guess)
Johnmourby: Lovecraft took most of his ideas from William Hope Hodgson. As well as bit and pieces from, Arthur Machen, Coleridge, James Malcolm Rymer and pretty much everyone else he read. He gets too much credit for being original when mostly he was aping the work a style of others who wrote better than him.
Don't forget Edgar Allan Poe!

I love Lovecraft and even I can admit that; he's very easy to pin down to tropes, as a writer. Not saying he didn't do good work with them, but there's a reason that people use the term 'Lovecraftian' so much.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by wizardtypething
wizardtypething: Don't forget Edgar Allan Poe!

I love Lovecraft and even I can admit that; he's very easy to pin down to tropes, as a writer. Not saying he didn't do good work with them, but there's a reason that people use the term 'Lovecraftian' so much.
Poe...... Yeah I thought I'd missed someone, thanks.

It helps that Lovecraftian is fun word to use.
I'd say he was in the right place at the right time. Hodgson, Coleridge and Machen may have been the ones who actually got the 'Cosmic Horror' ball rolling but I'll admit Lovecraft finalised and popularised it (Even if I feel his successors King, Barker and Mignolia did better work with it).
Love him or hate him he does mark the line where "Classic" horror ends and "Modern" horror begins.

I still say though that his creativity and quality are overrated though
wizardtypething: Don't forget Edgar Allan Poe!

Johnmourby: Poe...... Yeah I thought I'd missed someone, thanks.

It helps that Lovecraftian is fun word to use.
I'd say he was in the right place at the right time. Hodgson, Coleridge and Machen may have been the ones who actually got the 'Cosmic Horror' ball rolling but I'll admit Lovecraft finalised and popularised it (Even if I feel his successors King, Barker and Mignolia did better work with it).
Love him or hate him he does mark the line where "Classic" horror ends and "Modern" horror begins.

I still say though that his creativity and quality are overrated though
To be fair, he did add his own distinctive style to the stories; he wasn't "ripping off" his predecessors wholesale.

I don't disagee on the "quality" comment, though; I love his stories, but I'll happily admit that he wasn't a great writer. (I've occasionally commented that Chambers was the better writer, but wrote about less interesting things.)
fortune_p_dawg: What, or who rather, is pewdiepie?
I would say to go on YouTube and look him up, but be forewarned: He is obnoxious and loud for no reason whatsoever. I can't stand to watch anything he uploads.
From what I know, Lovecraft never really considered his Cthulhu work to be his best work. He's famous for that because that's what people were willing to pay for at the time.

I read a book (written by 'Lyon Sprague deCamp') several years ago about many heroic fantasy authors some of them not so famous (Morris, Dunsanny ...) and the ones everybody knows. I learned a lot about JRR's influences (who was christian) and HP's way of life (he's not the worst racist bastard I was told he was). The thing is, because they write pure fiction you don't really know or feel these authors, knowing their life shed a different light upon their work.

edit : I just realised what topic I just posted in .... here's what happen when you read and think for several minutes. And now I want a pizza.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by Potzato
wormholewizards: Lol, since when this game is shovelware? Just because Pewdiepie & co. played it, doesn't mean it's terribad.

fortune_p_dawg: What, or who rather, is pewdiepie?
An obnoxious Youtube LP'er who makes money off being annoying and bad at video games.
Potzato: Lyon Sprague deCamp
This is an amazing name.
Potzato: Lyon Sprague deCamp
Gazoinks: This is an amazing name.
My thoughts exactly ! :D
Gazoinks: This is an amazing name.
Potzato: My thoughts exactly ! :D
Literary Swordsmen and Sorcerers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_Swordsmen_and_Sorcerers

Just checking so I can put it on my "to read" list... :)