It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Finely ground aliens to take-out.

Shadowgrounds Survivor, a dynamic top-down shooter with swarms of alien horrors to spray with bullets, suggestive visuals, spiffy weapon upgrade system, and four player co-op mode, is now available on GOG.com for only $5.99. With that, its predecessor: Shadowgrounds, receives a Mac version and a permanent price drop to $5.99 as well.

In this indirect continuation of Frozenbyte's exciting alien shooter you'll follow a parallel story of the human commando facing the invasion on the Ganymede colony. The horror creeping in the dark corners of the Universe finally caught up with Terran colonists and the massacre that followed was only survived by a handful of the best trained, bravest, and quickest soldiers. Now it is up to them to put a stop to the extraterrestrial menace that threatens our existence.

Shadowgrounds Survivor delivers non-stop alien-shooting action over the course of 20 diverse missions, and it does so in perfect form. The old-school gameplay concept is paired with very modern visuals. You'll feel the heat of the combat and alien blood splatters as your guns rattle and spit a rain of bullets on your monstrous foes. Are you crazy enough to face the endless waves of beast in the timed survival mode? You can even share the fun with up to three more friends, in the fun and challenging co-op mode. Fun times! Dark and dangerous, but fun.

Humanity needs you again, so grab your upgradeable guns, and seriously kick some alien behind in Shadowgrounds Survivor, for only $5.99.
CrowTRobo: Heh, I knew when I saw this thread had 200+ posts that there was some type of argument going on.

I didn't bother reading through all the pages of posts cause all of the points have been made multiple times before. I think I will just state what I think some people, including myself, have an issue with: that mostly the same people are posting these same statements in EVERY SINGLE release thread. I think by now everyone at GOG has been made aware of your opinions. Anyone who reads the release threads are aware of your opinions. Its not really necessary to post them over and over again.

When you state your disappointment a few times it is expressing yourself. When you state the same feelings continuously it becomes whining.
Well said. Guys - enough.
mondo84: ... It's not "like I say", it's what GOG hinted on multiple occasions. ...
Okay, you say it and they might hint at it, but I just don't believe it. I've made good and bad experiences with GOG and I prefer to stay neutral. In a few months we can say without doubt whether the current lack of classics was temporary or rather permanent. Let's do this.
Post edited August 21, 2013 by Trilarion
CrowTRobo: Heh, I knew when I saw this thread had 200+ posts that there was some type of argument going on.

I didn't bother reading through all the pages of posts cause all of the points have been made multiple times before. I think I will just state what I think some people, including myself, have an issue with: that mostly the same people are posting these same statements in EVERY SINGLE release thread. I think by now everyone at GOG has been made aware of your opinions. Anyone who reads the release threads are aware of your opinions. Its not really necessary to post them over and over again.

When you state your disappointment a few times it is expressing yourself. When you state the same feelings continuously it becomes whining.
Yes your right , always the same same few people repeating themselves over and over again .... wish they would go and play a game or something ....
mondo84: ... It's not "like I say", it's what GOG hinted on multiple occasions. ...
Trilarion: Okay, you say it and they might hint at it, but I just don't believe it. I've made good and bad experiences with GOG and I prefer to stay neutral. In a few months we can say without doubt whether the current lack of classics was temporary or rather permanent. Let's do this.
Not sure why you're somehow holding me responsible. I referred to GOG's Instagram hint and TET's comment about the shower of classics. You might want to reread that post:

"I'm guessing that the next few weeks will balance that out and we'll get some great old games."

I didn't say it would absolutely happen with 100% certainty, yet you're nitpicking me as though I did. I am an observer. I do not control GOG's releases. I am allowed to make guesses. I am not the only one who has guessed more classic releases are coming. Why you choose to give me grief for this, I do not know. Seems strange you're so focused on me making one basic guess.

Like I said, stop holding me responsible for what future releases might bring. I'm allowed to make guesses based on hints GOG has given. I choose to be hopeful that more classics are coming based on statements made by GOG, and if that bothers you that's too bad.
Post edited August 21, 2013 by mondo84
mondo84: Ah, excellent. :)

I actually spent the past hour or so going through GOG's RSS feed and listing releases in order a similar way on a Google spreadsheet, trying to categorize them by "classic", "semi-classic", "indie", and "new".

One thing that did stand out was that during the past couple months there haven't been many classic releases. I'm guessing that the next few weeks will balance that out and we'll get some great old games.
SimonG: The problem isn't how much and how little GOG releases with old games in terms of numbers. If they don't have a game to release, than this is fine. (Unless they don't bother anymore with getting old game signed)

The problem is that GOG is using an artificial release schedule to hype their sales. (Over a year between WC 3 and 4!) This is undignified towards their customers. Do they expect that we sit around here waiting for new release hoping that we are deemed worthy of their games? And the whole "technical issues and testing excuse" doesn't really cut it when you only put them into a DosBox wrapper. Or when the game has a gamebreaking bug a few hours in. GOG is still playing the same spiel they used in 2008. But that was a very different company.

This was different two or three years ago when GOG was still up and coming. But nowadays they are no longer restricted by being only able to release old games. They have a lot of indies and newer titles to go with. And yet they use that same old "schedule scham" to annoy their customers.

And maybe you find their hints "funny and entertaining". I consider it rude and disrespectful that they treat us like kids that aren't allowed to look under the Christmas tree. Do they really expect me to cheer that I am finally allowed to give them money? Yes, creating this site was quite the achievement, so was signing EA or getting some of those games here to run on modern machines. But sitting on several games just to wait until they are more "sellable" is just cheap.

I can understand the underlying commercial necessities of having to create a lot of traffic each week. But there are better and more respectful ways to achieve this.
Lodium: If you want to put the blame on somone, then put it on the users of the services, forums etc who have done this for years since the advent of the computer.
SimonG: You know the GOGwiki? I was one people that started it. (Btw, I am the only one left here apparently). So don't tell me about community involvement. But that is just that. Community involvement. We didn't start the wiki to make GOG more profitable for the head honchos of CDP. We started it to create a community resource (and maybe to boost GOG a little ;-) ). The whole "by gamers for gamers" idea. You can probably still dig out the old threat that started it.

The point is, there is a difference between a community looking out for themselves and "sharing and caring" information and simply being used by a company as "cheap labour" furthering their profits without giving anything back.

(Funny enough, it was also considered somewhat of a "quick fix" until GOG would improve their site.)
Really?
Because i cant see any SimonG as the founder at http://www.gogwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
Also really strange if you are the only one there since i can see the irc chat full of people and the last update by an Admin was done
02:50, 22 June 2013 by Foxhack who is a mexican guy, i guess i must be having mirages flying around my eyes.

Also when it comes to delayed realeses to create a lot of traffic
do you think GoG is the only one doing this?
On Steam the most popular platform, there is something called Greenlight
Quite often games get witheld withouth any reason at all other than simply as you put it to generate traffic.
In simple terms its called baiting.
Evry store in the world does this in some way or another to try make people come to their store to buy something
or at least visit the site/store.

Let me make a perfect example
On steam Greenlight there is a Game called Black Mesa.
The Game has been ready for a long time now, since you can download it from the dev site
and the game works perfectly fine.
But it still isnt ready for Steam, why is that?
Well, the only reason i can think of is to generate traffic wich is perfectly normal for a store to do, to try to entice me and other people to buy something else even if we only planned to buy that one game.
Another point is that Black Mesa is actually free, making my point much more valid.
Absolutly no reason why valve shoud hold back a free game which they have supported the creation of.
Post edited August 21, 2013 by Lodium
mondo84: ...Like I said, stop holding me responsible for what future releases might bring. I'm allowed to make guesses based on hints GOG has given. I choose to be hopeful that more classics are coming based on statements made by GOG, and if that bothers you that's too bad.
Dear mondo,

really you misunderstood me! I'm sorry about that. I will not hold you responsible for any future release. Of course you are allowed to make guesses based on hints or even not based on hints. You can always choose to be hopeful. It doesn't bother me at all. (And why should it.)

All I wanted to say is that I have a different opinion. I guess I'm also allowed to have that. But somehow it didn't came across as such. I apologize for that.

Now I hope the differences are eliminated.
Post edited August 21, 2013 by Trilarion
Lodium: Really?
First contribution of SimonG for GOGWiki was at 24th of March 2011, editing the Main Page. For the full list see [url=http://www.gogwiki.com/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=500&target=SimonG]here[/url]
Lodium: Really?
JMich: First contribution of SimonG for GOGWiki was at 24th of March 2011, editing the Main Page. For the full list see [url=http://www.gogwiki.com/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=500&target=SimonG]here[/url]
Is he one of the founders?
Cuz i cant see him among the staff at all
I only see him among the users/contributions.

If he is one of the founders of that wiki i find it a little strange that he isnt written up as honarymember of the staff
or past admins/staff
Lodium: Is he one of the founders?
As I recall, GOGWiki got started by a group of people over here. SimonG was one of those that helped set up the Wiki. Does that mean he is a founder? No idea. The pages I can see he created though are "GOGWiki:Guidelines" and "GOGWiki:Standard product page layout", and I've no idea how much he helped before the Wiki was setup. He did also set up quite a few game pages.

Between what SimonG has done and what I have done for the Wiki, Simon has done more.

Oh, and SimonG was a Bureaucrat for [url=http://www.gogwiki.com/wiki/Special:Log/rights]1 day[/url].
Lodium: Is he one of the founders?
JMich: As I recall, GOGWiki got started by a group of people over here. SimonG was one of those that helped set up the Wiki. Does that mean he is a founder? No idea. The pages I can see he created though are "GOGWiki:Guidelines" and "GOGWiki:Standard product page layout", and I've no idea how much he helped before the Wiki was setup. He did also set up quite a few game pages.

Between what SimonG has done and what I have done for the Wiki, Simon has done more.

Oh, and SimonG was a Bureaucrat for [url=http://www.gogwiki.com/wiki/Special:Log/rights]1 day[/url].
*Oh, ok
I guess i coud give him the benefit of beliving him then.

Edit:
Got a sugestion for the wiki while im at it
There shoud really be a proper list of current and past staff.
I love shooting big bugs
Yay! I got to see Roger Waters live and miss this much ballyhooed release yesterday, double win!
Hm, that came out unnecessarily snide, but I'll just blame it on the after-concert daze and move on.
Post edited August 21, 2013 by MoP
MoP: Yay! I got to see Roger Waters live and miss this much ballyhooed release yesterday, double win!
Oooh, how was it? I really, really want to go (he's in Vienna on Friday), but it's just enormously expensive. Something like 117€. Not even Paul McCartney was that expensive.
I think not even the Rolling Stones were that expensive, the last time they were here.
Post edited August 21, 2013 by Fesin
MoP: Yay! I got to see Roger Waters live and miss this much ballyhooed release yesterday, double win!
Fesin: Oooh, how was it? I really, really want to go (he's in Vienna on Friday), but it's just enormously expensive. Something like 117€. Not even Paul McCartney was that expensive.
I think not even the Rolling Stones were that expensive, the last time they were here.
The music was good but the mood was a bit too happy in my opinion and I disliked the more overt political statements. I preferred The Wall as a more personal thing.
Lodium: snip
I think you may need to use another example. I thought Black Mesa is still under development, and in Beta... They have yet to add Xen and they are trying to add multiplayer support.

It is the Black Mesa team who have not put the game on Steam, not Valve blocking them. You may argue that it should be released under Early Acces? but you need to bug the Black Mesa team to make this happen.