It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Re-charge and go!

Re-Volt, a dynamic racing game with tons of fun and excitement that only RC toy cars could possibly provide, is available on GOG.com, for only $5.99.

Go through the pipe, use the cardboard ramp to jump across the puddle, zip through the hole in the picket fence and take a sharp turn to fit on the sidewalk. Look at your opponent, he didn't make the turn, and now his car tumbles into the storm drain. Oh no! The battery runs low, and the finish line is still fifty feet away. Time to use the boost, you were saving through the whole race! Wooosh!!! Damn that pidgeon, why did he had to be in the way. Nevermind, the finish line. So close. Battery failing. So slow. Oh no, the buzzing of a tiny engine just around the corner. Get pass the finish line. Now. Victory!

Re-Volt will make your inner child squeal with joy! If you ever got to play with RC cars (or, really, any other type of toy cars as there is no limit to child's imagination), you will find the same whimsical excitement in this fantastic, colorful game. With many types of RC cars to choose from, a great selection of imaginative tracks improvised in some of the most unexpected places, and dynamic gameplay nicely conveying the "light" physics of toy cars. If you're looking for a racing game packed with tons of fun, this classic title is a safe pick for you!

Batteries and plastic can easily prove to be far more exciting than gasoline and metal in Re-Volt, on GOG.com, for only $5.99
Grargar: I hate those guys for letting their miserable drama block the sale of the game. I hate them even more that they are happy with the game's removal. Congratulations dumbasses for making this game digitally available only through piracy.
I do not hate them, but I guess it's a dumb move.

Their love Re-volt and even though they don't want it to be available for sale.

It's not like they are loosing money. IMO they should just ask to be credited, and let WeGo use their work - after all, they claim to love that game, and yet their stance make it impossible for people to buy it.

I understand they may hate WeGo. but if they love the game, they would let it go.
SLP2000: I do not hate them, but I guess it's a dumb move.

Their love Re-volt and even though they don't want it to be available for sale.

It's not like they are loosing money. IMO they should just ask to be credited, and let WeGo use their work - after all, they claim to love that game, and yet their stance make it impossible for people to buy it.

I understand they may hate WeGo. but if they love the game, they would let it go.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was their goal all along. Some of the posters have written some pretty ridiculous stuff acting like WeGo stole the game from their hands and demanding from them to release the game freeware.
So wait, is this a case where it's not just a deal hasn't been reached between WeGo and the community, but that the community refuses to strike a deal out of spite for the company itself? That's the impression I'm getting from some posts here and there.

And what about this patch anyway? Is it even still available to download or did the creators remove the download links out of protest? I don't know where to look for it so...

Like I said, I don't understand why WeGo couldn't just release the game in its unpatched form and leave the patch, assuming it's still available, a completely separate thing like how it is for almost every game on here. Or, as some people in the community said, and I do think they make a good point here, WeGo has the source code and could easily patch it themselves, if they're not a company with total inexperience in that sort of thing. If that's the case I would agree they shouldn't have the game and sell it someone who knows what the hell they're doing and has a proper PR person.
this sucks. sad to see this being the way it is. I had thought it would be resolved fairly quickly.

cannard: So wait, is this a case where it's not just a deal hasn't been reached between WeGo and the community, but that the community refuses to strike a deal out of spite for the company itself? That's the impression I'm getting from some posts here and there.

And what about this patch anyway? Is it even still available to download or did the creators remove the download links out of protest? I don't know where to look for it so...

Like I said, I don't understand why WeGo couldn't just release the game in its unpatched form and leave the patch, assuming it's still available, a completely separate thing like how it is for almost every game on here. Or, as some people in the community said, and I do think they make a good point here, WeGo has the source code and could easily patch it themselves, if they're not a company with total inexperience in that sort of thing. If that's the case I would agree they shouldn't have the game and sell it someone who knows what the hell they're doing and has a proper PR person.
I agree that Re-Volt could be released in its original form, but from the way things seem, the new patch adds so much that the differences are substantial in terms of features. The patch might be necessary for connection multiplayer which is a big selling point of the game and it also adds a ton of stuff like support of widescreen, better hud and font for larger resolutions, and adding in content apparently exclusive to Dreamcast.

The biggest thing though is that the patch makes the game work with newer windows. gog would basically be selling a game that required a mandatory user patch. which doesn't fit with what they do. anyway I think it's just stupid and they should have gotten their permission ducks in a row before involving going to involve gog in all of this.
low rated
The best thing we can do is spread this around, because WeGo is stealing others' work and selling it for money. They are complete scumbags and they deserve what they get for this. If they can't comprehend English then someone who knows Korean should contact them and tell them in their native language that they have STOLEN something and not gotten permission from the people who made the patch to distribute it at all.

I cannot believe this crap happened and I'm really angry at WeGo for this. Why did the rights go to of all places a terrible Korean company?
Post edited February 01, 2014 by Zeether
Is it all about money or what? What's the big deal if they use your mod?

What exactly is the difference if they release the game unpached and we must look in some obscure places for a free mod to make the game playable as opposed to get the whole thing working in one place (GoG) and forget about it? Seriously...
Post edited February 01, 2014 by nadenitza
Zeether: The best thing we can do is spread this around, because WeGo is stealing others' work and selling it for money. They are complete scumbags and they deserve what they get for this. If they can't comprehend English then someone who knows Korean should contact them and tell them in their native language that they have STOLEN something and not gotten permission from the people who made the patch to distribute it at all.

I cannot believe this crap happened and I'm really angry at WeGo for this. Why did the rights go to of all places a terrible Korean company?
Quoted from the patch site about the main source of the patch:

The source code which is responsible for the development of Re-Volt v1.2 comes from an Xbox port of Re-Volt planned in 2002. The port was eventually canceled as the contract to finish the port was never finalized. Few years later, we received the source from one of the Xbox developers, who had asked us to keep him anonymous. Here's a snapshot of an old article in Xbox live website.

That's the main source of the patch, a "anonymous given away" source code for the x-box port. As I really believe the authors of the patch should be mentioned and given thanks for their great work it also should be clear that without the use of this unauthorized source code there would be no patch and very likely no community. So please, stop this stupid publisher bashing here, because with a closer look you clearly see the behaviour of the community isn't really on a stable legal foundation, I wouldn't be surprised if in worst case WeGo just says the patch must be removed from the net because "their" property (source code) was used without any official authorization. Goodwill from all involved parties (gog, patch creator, WeGo) is necessary here.

nadenitza: What exactly is the difference if they release the game unpached and we must look in some obscure places for a free mod to make the game playable as opposed to get the whole thing working in one place (GoG) and forget about it? Seriously...
From my understanding the game is without the patch absolutely not playable on modern systems, that's why the patch is needed. Otherwise gog would release a broken game, which isn't an option. The patch creators used the source code for the cancelled xbox-port to understand how the original source code very likely looked like.
Post edited February 01, 2014 by DukeNukemForever
DukeNukemForever: snip
Does it mention who is the legit owner of the xbox source code, is it the koreans? Or someone out of existence? Does it have any owner anyway? I think this is of most importance in the matter.
Post edited February 01, 2014 by nadenitza
Zeether: If they can't comprehend English then someone who knows Korean should contact them and tell them in their native language that they have STOLEN something and not gotten permission from the people who made the patch to distribute it at all.
Maybe the guy from GOG who negotiated the distribution rights with them? He seems to be pretty good at Korean. Otherwise the game wouldn't be on GOG, am I right?

No, honestly... I don't think anyone at GOG speaks Korean. So there has to be someone who speaks English. But with this "community" (quote: The only way they could even get something from us would be by hanging themselves! How dare they ask for something after publishing such a shitty thing !?!)... I think it's best to pretend that no one speaks English at WeGo. Otherwise you would have to deal with such "nice persons".
DukeNukemForever: snip
nadenitza: Does it mention who is the legit owner of the xbox source code, is it the koreans? Or someone out of existence? Does it have any owner anyway? I think this is of most importance in the matter.
I don't know who is the owner of the source code right know, I wouldn't be surprised if WeGo bought all assets regarding Re-Volt.

But that's also not really relevant. The point is that the community work is mainly based on the goodwill of a former developer who very likely gave away this code without any authorization. Then to scream WeGo "stole" the work others is kind of bizarre and shameless. They received goodwill to keep their game alive, that should be kept in mind, and so they also should show at some point goodwill now to solve this situation in a civilised way.

It was for sure not a nice behaviour from WeGo to use the patch without mentioning the creators and their hard work, that was definitely not fine and should definetly be corrected.
Post edited February 01, 2014 by DukeNukemForever
low rated
I think it is time for me to step in here and adress a few of these posts for my (or should I say, some of our amusement.)

"To be honest the stance of the modding community makes me puke, they act like they own the game and have the last say in everything."

Glad to know that we cause you discomfort, we hope we do it more. We act like we own the game? What ARE you talking about?

"To the Re-Volt modding community.

Next time when the rights are for grabs, please buy it and put it where the sun don't shine and then get raped by a hoard of wild buffalo's so it will come out the other end and choke on it!"

So you are upset. Excellent! We've made you feel uncomfortable and mad at the same time! This is what we excell at doing by stating the TRUTH.

"I hate those guys for letting their miserable drama block the sale of the game. I hate them even more that they are happy with the game's removal. Congratulations dumbasses for making this game digitally available only through piracy."

But you have no objection to WeGo taking something that wasn't created by them and without permission from it's authors being sold? Does that sound acceptable to you?

"Hey! Barack Obama is the president of the US! I don't like him for that!

"Yeah? Well, I don't like you because you don't like Barack Obama!"

Your logic is absolutely silly. We are happy with the game's removal SOLELY because it has been stolen. You should do your research first. Another happy customer.

"I do not hate them, but I guess it's a dumb move."

Stopping theft is dumb, is it?

"Their love Re-volt and even though they don't want it to be available for sale."

Please, try to find ANYTHING that anyone has said that either says or implies "We do not want Re-Volt to be for sale, ever again." Oh what, you can't? Because none of us said that? That's what I thought...

"It's not like they are loosing money. IMO they should just ask to be credited, and let WeGo use their work - after all, they claim to love that game, and yet their stance make it impossible for people to buy it."

But they didn't credit the authors, did they? Nor did they actually contact the authors, did they? Nor did they respond to any correspondence from the authors, did they?

Oh, we MAKE it impossible, do we? How exactly? "Because you got Re-Volt removed, HURR DURR!" What, because we don't think it is right for them to sell something that doesn't belong to them? Really...?

"I wouldn't be surprised if that was their goal all along. Some of the posters have written some pretty ridiculous stuff acting like WeGo stole the game from their hands and demanding from them to release the game freeware."

That is because it IS stolen, can you not read? And what was our goal exactly?

As I've stated before, YES, we DO hate them because we do not appreciate what they are doing to Re-Volt. But the iOS releases and "Re-Volt 2", hate them as we may but we can't do anything about that so the best thing we can do is just not care. If they had actually put more time and effort into actually creating a decent game AND if they had actually acted professionally like a company SHOULD do, then we wouldn't really have much of a problem. But stealing something from a community, their rather poor representation and coming back to kiss our arses is NOT professional, hence why all this "drama", as it is being called, is unfolding.

As for our community members who post such ridiculous things such as "hanging yourself", that's up to you to distinquish whose opinion is actually liable or not. That does NOT go for all of us.

If it upsets you, good...

Do I need to elaborate more?

TL:DR: You're all happy with buying something that's stolen? Wow....
Post edited February 02, 2014 by Skarma
Skarma: Do I need to elaborate more?
Nah, just play a round Re-Volt 2 and relax ;)
Skarma: "I wouldn't be surprised if that was their goal all along. Some of the posters have written some pretty ridiculous stuff acting like WeGo stole the game from their hands and demanding from them to release the game freeware."

That is because it IS stolen, can you not read? And what was our goal exactly?

As I've stated before, YES, we DO hate them because we do not appreciate what they are doing to Re-Volt. But the iOS releases and "Re-Volt 2", hate them as we may but we can't do anything about that so the best thing we can do is just not care. If they had actually put more time and effort into actually creating a decent game AND if they had actually acted professionally like a company SHOULD do, then we wouldn't really have much of a problem. But stealing something from a community, their rather poor representation and coming back to kiss our arses is NOT professional, hence why all this "drama", as it is being called, is unfolding.

If it upsets you, good...

Do I need to elaborate more?

TL:DR: You're all happy with buying something that's stolen? Wow....
Is the Re-Volt community patch a derivative work of the stolen Xbox source? Can it be legally distributed without WeGo's blessing?
DukeNukemForever: From my understanding the game is without the patch absolutely not playable on modern systems, that's why the patch is needed. Otherwise gog would release a broken game, which isn't an option. The patch creators used the source code for the cancelled xbox-port to understand how the original source code very likely looked like.
The original game is not broken on newer systems, it launches in fact fine. You just have to patch it to the latest official patch from 1999 (v1207) and start it with the parameter "-sli" (though I haven't tested it on Windows 8).
Alternatively you can launch it with the "-window" parameter which should work on every OS because the mentioned bug is due to problems with the fullscreen displaying.

And I know for a fact that fixing this one bug takes less than 20 minutes (including debugging time to find the issue), even if you are not a developer with experience. Therefore I don't see why it wouldn't be an option for WeGo to do just that, release the original game with the latest official patch (or fix this simple issue).
Instead they insist to use the community version and ask us to cooperate with them, even though previous attempts from our side before this all happened have been fruitless (and they are just doing that now because GOG took it off).

nadenitza: Does it mention who is the legit owner of the xbox source code, is it the koreans? Or someone out of existence? Does it have any owner anyway? I think this is of most importance in the matter.
DukeNukemForever: I don't know who is the owner of the source code right know, I wouldn't be surprised if WeGo bought all assets regarding Re-Volt.
We don't know for sure, all we know is that WeGo Interactive bought it from a company called "Throwback Entertainment" back in 2010-2011.
However it was never mentioned anywhere if this purchase from Throwback Entertainment included everything related to the game. So it would be definitely nice to know what WeGo Interactive actually owns (however I don't think this will be possible due to said communication problems).

The Xbox version was developed some time (I think 2000-2001) after the PC and other console versions were released and the version itself was actually never released (due to Acclaim going bankrupt in 2001 and probably other things as well).
Only a beta was available on some Xbox Live disk and the source code of it was leaked around 2005-2006 I think (though I don't know the details here, just that a former employee gave it away).

That all happened long before WeGo appeared and bought the rights (and I'm not even sure if Throwback Entertainment had already purchased the rights back then when the Xbox source was leaked).
And the beta patch that WeGo used here was publicly released (8.2.2011) before WeGo had purchased their rights from Throwback Entertainment (23.2.2011) so does that matter anything? (I'm no laywer so I honestly dont know and am asking someone who does)

Besides, to port the Xbox source back to PC required a lot of changes and since the code of the unofficial patch is nowhere available we don't really know how much of the original code is still in it.
Post edited February 02, 2014 by Zapeth
Did this game make it to the bay before it got removed?