It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When being a master of a dungeon just doesn't cut it.

Overlord + Raising Hell, a fantasy action-adventure game in which you become a revenant lord commanding his mean minions to ravage and conquer the realm, is available on GOG.com, for only $9.99.

Ooooooh! Now I'm really mad! They shouldn't have done that. Fools! What's the big idea, putting me in that tomb? Yes, I was dead. So what? Like death ever stopped any lord of evil and treachery before. Death is like a brother to me! Well, a second cousin, but we still keep in touch. Did they seriously think I would stay dead? Those maggots, those idiots, I'll rip off their arms and feed them to the crows. Then I'll feed the crows to the wild dogs. Then I'll make dog stew and feed it to those basterds! Oh, yes, my wrath will be terrible, my retribution swift! Minions! Minions!!! Minions!!!!! Gather, my faithful beasties. The time has come. We go to war. Ha! Haha!!! Hahahaahhahaah!!!!!

Overlord + Raising Hell presents you with a whole fantasy realm ready for plucking. In this action-adventure title you become an evil (or, optionally, really evil--the choice is your's) revenant lord that plans to take over the kingdom by force and take revenge on the corrupt heroes who ruled it in his absence. He's accompanied by a host of vile gremlin-like minions that blindly follow his command. That adds another layer of gameplay in the lines of simple real-time strategy. The GOG.com edition comes with the Raising Hell expansion for maximum impact.

You can practice being evil by stealing candy from some babies, selling it to diabetics, being sued, winning the case, getting amends for being traumatized by the legal system, and then spending it all ($9.99 that is) on Overlord + Raising Hell on GOG.com!
MadalinStroe: Well that is exactly why this discussion...
Don't get me wrong; I didn't criticize you. I read your clarification. My reaction was more or less for sake of the topic than a confrontation. I suppose I should abstain and leave this topic to people commenting the actual release ;).
Post edited April 17, 2013 by Mivas
Pleased to see this on GOG, its been on my Wishlist for a while now. Will pick it up soon I hope.
I own the orginal, but I never picked up the expansion pack. Very tempting :P
Most curious, the forum for the game was created a very long time ago :)
Attachments:
tarasis: Most curious, the forum for the game was created a very long time ago :)
I guess that's because the forum is still empty...
tarasis: Most curious, the forum for the game was created a very long time ago :)
Yes, the forum goes back into the very depths of Time itself :P
The date is "30.Nov.-0001" and the name is "Raising Hell". Presumably Jesus being born seriously trolled the Devil just as he was getting ready for a party.
I already own all the Overlord games on Steam, but I'll ask this since no one else has:

Will we be seeing Overlord 2 any time soon?
Post edited April 16, 2013 by powerlord
One of my favourite games from the last decade. Shure, you can pick at it's flaws, call it a bastard ripoff from Pikmin and Dungeon Keeper, or just dislike the setting. But you can't deny the compelling charme it has. Overlord has soul, and in this special case that's more important to me than perfectly polished game design. I see it almost on par with classics like Psychonauts, Giants or Beyound Good & Evil. That's why it belongs here on GOG.

An outstanding game, bundled with the addon, soundtrack included, multilanguage, fair price... Perfect release!
For me? Yes Master, for you!!

Now, that was unexpected. Great job GOG!
Bought this on release for full price and NEVER played it. Now it's on GOG and I feel like such a dumbass.
I remember playing this game at a friend's house when it first came out. I got partway through the tutorial, realized that even though I was supposedly the Lord of freaking Darkness, I was still being asked to run the same old "do a trivial errand for a random peasant" quests, and quit the game in utter disgust. Anyone want to convince me that I was wrong/didn't give the game a fair shake?
Azilut: I remember playing this game at a friend's house when it first came out. I got partway through the tutorial, realized that even though I was supposedly the Lord of freaking Darkness, I was still being asked to run the same old "do a trivial errand for a random peasant" quests, and quit the game in utter disgust. Anyone want to convince me that I was wrong/didn't give the game a fair shake?
Superficially, it does change. IIRC the fetch quests are for the more tutorial-type stuff. The main core of the first Overlord is hunting down all the one-time heroes of the land who united against evil. So it turns into a series of hunt-down-and-kill-a-boss quest.

Both games struggle to effectively implement late-game horde size and diversity (console issues, frankly, it would have been eminently solvable with a PC interface :p) and always felt to me like they didn't live up to their full potential . That said, both games are still fun and I played both all the way to the finale.

If gameplay was your issue, don't expect it to suddenly get a whole lot better. The whole game is about running your horde around while also wading in yourself now and again. The horde part simply gets larger and a little slightly more strategic. But story-wise, I'd say it probably didn't get a fair shake, no.
Post edited April 16, 2013 by Kloreep
MadalinStroe: the classic release was the one I was most looking forward to on GOG. I guess I misunderstood the context in which "classic" was used.
I think we have similar feelings. For me, "old" = "classic" = pre-2005 games. Now of course, "classic" implies the game is good.
Post edited April 16, 2013 by tfishell
Kloreep: Superficially, it does change. IIRC the fetch quests are for the more tutorial-type stuff. The main core of the first Overlord is hunting down all the one-time heroes of the land who united against evil. So it turns into a series of hunt-down-and-kill-a-boss quest.

Both games struggle to effectively implement late-game horde size and diversity (console issues, frankly, it would have been eminently solvable with a PC interface :p) and always felt to me like they didn't live up to their full potential . That said, both games are still fun and I played both all the way to the finale.

If gameplay was your issue, don't expect it to suddenly get a whole lot better. The whole game is about running your horde around while also wading in yourself now and again. The horde part simply gets larger and a little slightly more strategic.
Thanks, but my objection was actually more of an aesthetic one - starting a game about the Lord of Darkness by having him mow Granny Crumpet's lawn and collect ten chickens for Old Man Withers is like starting off a light-hearted Christmas comedy with a brutal murder-suicide - even if everything that follows is spot-on, the opening is just so tonally wrong that it spoils the whole dish. I dunno, maybe I just had the wrong expectations from this game? I would have been fine with it if it seemed self-aware (e.g. the Lord of Darkness grumbling under his breath about having to do fetch quests), but from what I remember, it was like the designers weren't even aware that there was anything weird about having the Evil One do menial chores.