It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The return of an 8-bit legend!

The Lords of Midnight, a unique classic mash-up of RPG, strategy, and interactive fiction, faithfully recreated for modern systems, is now available on GOG.com for only $5.99

The land of Midnight is in danger. The name of the villain menacing the realm is whispered in every homestead with fear and fascination: Doom... dark, Doomdark, Doomdark! Only the Lords of Midnight, the valiant knight protectors of the folk, can stand up to the accursed Whitchking. It will be no easy task, though. The lords will ride the four winds, looking for allies, recruiting their armies, and bringing light to wherever the shadow of Doomdark falls. Forging their legend with their every step, they would become the champions the land needs. Should they fail, all will be lost. Don't let them fail.

The Lords of Midnight was originally released in 1984. What you see here, is a revamped version of the exact same game, retaining its gameplay and graphical style, just adding some more intuitive interface and high resolution graphics. At its core, however, this is the exact same game that enthralled the imagination of many gamers almost three decades ago. The turn based game mixes elements of an adventure with a robust, well-written storyline, an epic wargame in which you manage and command large armies, and a role-playing game with much focus on exploration of the game's incredibly detailed landscape. Your main quest--defeating the evil Witchking Doomdark--is no easy task, and completing the game in any of the possible ways will prove a challenge. Let one of the oldest, yet greatest stories ever told in a computer game unfold before you!

See how deep, addicting, and fun computer games already were 30 years ago. Get The Lords of Midnight today, for only $5.99 on GOG.com!
JudasIscariot: There is one :P

Game Dev Tycoon
Well at least two, Game Dev Story.
JudasIscariot: There is one :P

Game Dev Tycoon
Smannesman: Well at least two, Game Dev Story.
And don't forget and [url=http://www.curlysworldoffreeware.com/games/view/164]Gamebiz 2.
Smannesman: Well at least two, Game Dev Story.
PaterAlf: And don't forget and [url=http://www.curlysworldoffreeware.com/games/view/164]Gamebiz 2.
Sure, but... Where are all the games about making games about making games? How am I supposed to understand how hard it is to make something like Game Dev Tycoon without the appropriate number of levels of meta?
I didn't forget them, I'd never heard of them before.. at least I don't think so :P
Unfortunately I don't have more titles to come back with, but I do know Linux Tycoon which is at least about developing software.
I love this game. I'm posting here my extended review as it is too long for the game's page review section.

The 1984 classic in its original epic glory.

The original Lords Of Midnight is one of the Great Classics of the 8 bit computer gaming era. First released in 1984 on the ZX Spectrum to almost universal critical and public acclaim, it could be played both as a strategy game and as an adventure and it has an unique look and feel that in my opinion nothing since has ever recaptured.

Set in a world reminiscent of the Lord Of The Rings, the game initially puts you in control of four characters: Luxor the Moonprince, his son Morkin, Corleth the Fey and Rorthron the Wise. Your goal: to defeat the evil Doomdark and restore peace to the land of Midnight. You can play the game as a short adventure by focusing on Morkin and his quest to steal and destroy Doomdark's Ice Crown, or you can play the game as a longer stategy campaing by recruiting up to 28 additional lords and building an army to face and defeat Doomdark in battle. Or you can play both modes at the same time!

This version of Lords Of Midnight started as a joint project by Chris Wild (author of the freeware 1992 PC port) and Mike Singleton, designer and author of the original game. Originally it was meant to be a real recreation (true to the spirit of the original games but updated to modern gaming sensibilities) and to be the first step in updating and concluding the full saga. Sadly, Mike Singleton passed away in October 2012 and Chris decided to keep the game as close as possible to the original as a tribute both to Mike and to the players who loved the game and its creator.

So be warned: this is largely the same game as it was released in 1984. It is as retro as it gets, but this shouldn't be a problem for fans of Good Old Games, right?

Some welcome updates were made: an improved save system, the ability to undo a "day of game" (the game is divided in day cycles), an auto map system and an optional group feature that allows you to move multiple characters at the same time (there are up to 32 characters in the game to control).

And a special mention is deserved by the graphics. The original game had a stylized and distinctive look which is faithfully preserved with this update. At a first glance you'd think they are the original graphics, but up close they are smooth and detailed. I applaud this choice and I love is result.

But apart from that the game is basically the same as the original 41 kB (yes, 41 kilobytes!) classic.

Old gamers who loved the original, like me, will fall in love all over again with this fantastic and faithful to the original remake. Younger gamers will likely be puzzled (make sure to read the manual!) and action gamers would probably better avoid it.

However this is a genuine classic and an incredibly evocative game. Gamers who like to use their imagination and can get past the weird (by today's standards) game mechanics, will find themselves immersed in a fantastic world, like living first person in an illustrated fantasy book.

The game is also available on all mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) where it is getting very favorable reviews.

Hopefully, in addition to delighting old fans, it will be able to find a well deserved new audience.
filippo: I love this game. I'm posting here my extended review as it is too long for the game's page review section.

The 1984 classic in its original epic glory.

<snipped>
Great review. Detailing the updates was especially useful.

41 kB!!! How did programmers do anything with that amount of space! I downloaded a new AAA title the other day - 20GB and I can almost guarantee that I'll end up putting more hours into Lords Of Midnight. LOL. The price we pay for our pretty mo-capped graphics...