It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brandon, I have your saw!

Legend of Kyrandia, an unforgettable, classic point-and-click adventure game packed with wondrous locations, mythical creatures, and downright evil sense of humor, is available on GOG.com for only $5.99.

[url=http://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_kyrandia][/url]Welcome to the wonderful kingdom of Kyrandia, a land of astounding beauty, home to countless enchanted creatures and spellbinding locations. Alas, dark clouds gather on the horizon: Malcolm, the court jester, has done something terrible and the magical realm will never be the same again. Unless you, Prince Brandon, can achieve the impossible and outfox the demented joker. Remember when adventure games challenged you to beat them, without cutting you any slack? Remember when you had to draw a location map not to get lost in the maze, or were wary of crossing a funny-looking bridge, in fear of falling to a terrible death? Legend of Kyrandia, in all its classic charm and glory, is the epitome of those games.

Legend of Kyrandia is one of the gems of the classic adventure games era. First in the series of three titles, it established the original setting of Kyrandia, a land of unparalleled beauty, and, at the same time, menacing dangers. Celebrated for its unique tone of mischievous humor and inventive quests, it has also been considered a milestone in adventure games evolution. The game introduced innovative elements to the genre, with extremely simple interface and creative use of inventory items. It also made you suffer and die in many imaginative ways (one of them including a particularly charming slasher smile and a very sharp saw).

Prepare for some old-school questing and lose yourself (literally) in a perilous kingdom of Kyrandia, get Legend of Kyrandia, for only $5.99 on GOG.com!
A very excellent post Mr. T :). I hope it brings some understanding and knowledge to those who feel you guys "suck". As someone said in the Stargunner thread, people even complain about a free game. Its the day and age we live in. Like you said, we want everything and we want it now with no effort. Hopefully your post can maybe change even one persons point of view to see the world doesn't work that way and neither does gaming.
I have this on Disc , great game. I remember it fondly. I kept all of my old PC games and they rarely make beautiful adventures like this anymore. At 5.99 this is an amazing buy.
Well worth the purchase if you love point and click adventure games.
Crosmando: How is it any more "archaic" than progressing a game by running around shooting people in the face or stabbing people?
One part of the problem is that pure adventure games didn't have much room to evolve, unlike e.g. shooter games or RPGs. Ok there was the move from text-based parsers to point and click user interfaces, but that just simplified it (ie. you had less options you could try to give as the correct answer). The basic premise still stayed the same: a series of dilemmas where you just had to find the correct inventory object or similar simple solution to it. That's why at some point all point and click adventure games started to feel so similar.

I think flight sims had pretty much a similar problem. At one point they had reached a point that the only thing newer flight sims could offer was basically better graphics, as the older flight sims had pretty much already mastered realistic avionics/physics, accurate weapons systems and stuff, detailed campaigns etc. (probably ever since Falcon 4.0, if not even earlier).

Adventure games have partly migrated into other genres, like RPGs and "action-adventures" over the time. E.g. Baldur's Gate 2 clearly has components I consider adventure-game like, ie. someone giving you a riddle and you have to figure out what object to bring to it or what is the correct answer (e.g. the Amaunator quest). Or the chest riddles in Betrayal at Krondor.

For action-adventures, don't have to go further than Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil.

One interesting thing is the arrival of casual "find the hotspot" games that do feel kinda like the old adventure games, ie. you just hunt for objects on the screens and then use them elsewhere. E.g. the Windows Store on Windows 8 offers some such even for free. When I first tried them, I was "Eeeek! A filthy casual game!", but then I was reminded that they aren't really that different from old-skool point&click adventure games. Easier and maybe more straightforward, though.
Post edited September 14, 2013 by timppu
TheEnigmaticT: ...I think by saying that, you're denigrating the very real work that all 55 people at GOG.com put in every day, trying to bring classic games to light again and further the cause of DRM-free gaming...
wow, there's only 55 people??? I always thought there was a whole bunch of you :)

so you probably have like 20 testers out of the 55? only 20 people who all had to play more than 500 games from start to end? that's just... wow :) huge respect!

also, good text overall, makes a lot of things clear for the constant pessimists like Crosmando (and keeveek, you've disappointed me there ;)
Does this mean we have a chance, to see the other ones on gog?
RevolutionSphere: Does this mean we have a chance, to see the other ones on gog?
I'm pretty sure they'll come... at least the second book which has the same "engine" so no testing issues... I also don't believe a developer would sell a licence to just the first game, seeing we have the whole "Quest" adventure game series here as well :)
RevolutionSphere: Does this mean we have a chance, to see the other ones on gog?
Kunovski: I'm pretty sure they'll come... at least the second book which has the same "engine" so no testing issues... I also don't believe a developer would sell a licence to just the first game, seeing we have the whole "Quest" adventure game series here as well :)
Well that's good to know, thanks
RevGalen: If people don't speak out how would GOG know in what direction to take their business.
Sales data, mainly.

If e.g. selling newer games really is such a bad idea to GOG business as some make it out to be, I'm pretty sure GOG would stop doing it.
RevGalen: If people don't speak out how would GOG know in what direction to take their business.
timppu: Sales data, mainly.

If e.g. selling newer games really is such a bad idea to GOG business as some make it out to be, I'm pretty sure GOG would stop doing it.
Yeah. Here comes the achievements and cards.
timppu: Sales data, mainly.

Where did you get this crazy idea from? Isn't it obvious that without the constant complaining & name-calling, yelling & swearing, the apparently clueless folks at GOG would have gone out of business a long time ago?

Amazing how selective reading, hearing and responding work.
I'm really happy to see this game here. I've been wanting to play this for a very, very long time.

I own the floppy version of the sequel, "Hand of Fate", and was never able to get it to run on more modern computers (and I'm including a Windows 98 PC in that mix) until I came across GOG.com in it's early days and discovered the wonder that is DOSBox. So I gave it a go and the game worked very well, so here's hoping GOG don't find too many problems with it and can release it too in the near future. It's main character, Zanthia, is really spunky and I felt truly bad everytime something nasty happened to her in the game.

The Kyrandia games are what I would regard as true classic games.

But I'm also glad to see "Cognition. An Erica Reed Thriller" here too. I nearly bought it on GamersGate until I heard a rumour it was coming here, so I'm glad I waited.

So thanks GOG, that's a perfect mix of old and new adventure games released in one week.
Nice release. Wishlisted by now, but i will buy sooner than later (i cant afford it right now). I wish to see all Westwood early games and this one and the Lands of Lore series are some of my favorite classics. So, thanks again.

I understand some want all the classics at once (because i also want some of them sooner). But some of us dont have the time or the money to buy so many games at once, so at least for me its ok like it is doing GOG.
GOG really need to work this one out with Westwood/EA : Old C&C games. At least the one that they provided for free before. I was lucky as I did download it back then, but since GOG does provide free games, and do have agreement with EA/Westwood, just include it here.

I know that EA is selling a compilation on Origin, but still...
fablefox: I know that EA is selling a compilation on Origin, but still...
That's why we probably won't see Alice on here for a while, either; Origin is selling a combo pack, and wants to keep it exclusive I assume.
TheEnigmaticT: ...I think by saying that, you're denigrating the very real work that all 55 people at GOG.com put in every day, trying to bring classic games to light again and further the cause of DRM-free gaming...
Kunovski: so you probably have like 20 testers out of the 55? only 20 people who all had to play more than 500 games from start to end? that's just... wow :) huge respect!
Our test team is fewer than 10, actually.

EDIT: And i'd note that only two or three of them have played any given game for work.
Post edited September 15, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT