It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Release of the Beast.

Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition (also known as: Kult: Heretic Kingdoms), a sleek isometric fantasy action RPG with many interesting gameplay ideas, set in a vast gritty world deprived of hope, but filled with monsters and dangers, is available on GOG.com for only $5.99.

At the first glance, the sword seemed like nothing special. Yes, the craftsmanship was excellent, and you could see that its creator went to great lengths to make the weapon look as ominous as a piece of steel can get, but there were many similar blades across the land. If anything, this one looked a little bit rusty and battered up. It was only as she reached for the hilt, when a slight vibration could be noticed. Like an electric charge hitting her hand. For a moment, the blade seemed to be gleaming--barely noticeable inner shine. What she thought to be flakes of rust shined in crimson red, like fresh blood embedded into the metal itself. But then, nothing special happened. She just stood there, holding the sword, looking at it in silence. Nobody else would even notice, but she knew. In her hand, rested the blade that tasted the blood of god. The Godslayer.

Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition is a classic action-rpg that has the ambition of delivering some original ideas an making your experience unique. It makes sure that upon completion, you won't just feel like you've completed another generic hack-and-slash. It succeeds by the means of excellent storytelling, dynamic gameplay, and some original RPG mechanics. If you are a fan of the genre, but somehow you managed to overlook this title in the past, you're up for one satisfying experience! The GOG.com edition of the game comes with a full MP3 soundtrack.

Adventure awaits, so go on--discover the land that needs hope and decide if it deserves it in Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition, for only $5.99 on GOG.com!

NOTICE:
GOG.com team would like to thank our users: IAmSinistar for finding the rights holder for Heretic Kingdoms and tfishell for passing on the information to us. Without your help, we wouldn't have the game today so thanks again for your assistance in making this release possible. This is why GOG.com community rocks, guys!
tfishell: Shoutout to SCPM for all his knowledge on researching game rights. ;) I suspect we'll be seeing some of the titles he helped bring eventually.

And of course the others that helped with that rights' research thread.
IAmSinistar: Heartily seconded. SCPM and everyone else in the research thread deserves credit for this, as things there are very much a group effort, even when we each pursue our own trails along the way. I certainly wouldn't have even begun the process without them, and the back-and-forth of the group is what makes the real progress happen.
Is the thread still alive? If yes, can you link it please?
IAmSinistar: Heartily seconded. SCPM and everyone else in the research thread deserves credit for this, as things there are very much a group effort, even when we each pursue our own trails along the way. I certainly wouldn't have even begun the process without them, and the back-and-forth of the group is what makes the real progress happen.
SmashManiac: Is the thread still alive? If yes, can you link it please?
It's alive-ish. :) I've definitely slowed down on my part due to other things like paying off college loans (and seeing if previous research will continue to pay off in the future), but you're welcome to view what's happening here: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_search_for_game_rights_a_diaryesque_thread
I only played Heretic Kingdoms once, so my memory is a bit vague, but I do remember enjoying the game a lot. It hasa lot of interesting ideas though I can't remember exactly what they are anymore. I do remember being disappointed with the simplicity of the ending though - I remember it being an interesting story, but the game did not live up its promise of branching paths and multiple endings based on the player character's decisions. But still, overall it is a game I highly recommend if you are into CRPGs, especially if you are a fan of Divine Divinity (which coincidently has an even worse ending). It is a pleasant surprise to see this game here on GOG, even though I already have it on disc.
Looks good can you scroll the camera around and zoom in/out ?
I got this on cd at some point, sold it though I think.

I got stuck in some part, a bit of maze-like place, because I didn't know where to go. Also I tried to play a sneaky bastard with a bow and that didn't work too well. I was alive about uhh.. 2 seconds in the dreamworld. With a decent fighter build it would probably be a lot easier.
TheJadedOne: I was thinking maybe it could be used strategically somehow.
I assume it was more intended as a feature to make areas less repetitive, rather than directly having any sort of major impact on the gameplay.
This is a great action RPG! Thanks to all who made this possible.
RafaelLopez: I am told this is a good game. I borrowed the CD from a friend a while ago and couldn't have it working on a Windows Vista PC, let's see how this one fares on a new Windows 8.1.
If you try it out, I'd be interested to know that, too. I have a disc from the bargain bin and I did manage to run it on Vista but with the very annoying caveat that I always had to change the desktop resolution to 1024x768 each time I wanted to play it. And there was something about disabling desktop composition in the compatibility tab, which is why I couldn't get it to run on Win 8.1, since Win 8 doesn't offer this compatibilty option anymore (at least not in the game properties).
Post edited November 29, 2013 by Leroux
RafaelLopez: I am told this is a good game. I borrowed the CD from a friend a while ago and couldn't have it working on a Windows Vista PC, let's see how this one fares on a new Windows 8.1.
Leroux: If you try it out, I'd be interested to know that, too. I have a disc from the bargain bin and I did manage to run it on Vista but with the very annoying caveat that I always had to change the desktop resolution to 1024x768 each time I wanted to play it. And there was something about disabling desktop composition in the compatibility tab, which is why I couldn't get it to run on Win 8.1, since Win 8 doesn't offer this compatibilty option anymore (at least not in the game properties).
I'd love to help but I won't get around to do that in at least a week. I think if you post a question-thread on the title-specific forum the answer should pop pretty fast.

My friend's CD was one of these that come along with a magazine or something, I don't know if it's the same thing you call the bargain bin in Germany. Down here, titles older than four or five years appear with a very low price on a separate section of stores, sometimes bundled in some gaming magazine edition, other times they come standalone with little or no documentation.

F1ach: Looks good can you scroll the camera around and zoom in/out ?
I never played it so don't take my worjd for it, but it's looks Baldur's Gate-ish and probably it's not possible to zoom in/out.
Post edited November 29, 2013 by RafaelLopez
GOG.com: GOG.com team would like to thank our users: IAmSinistar for finding the rights holder for Heretic Kingdoms and tfishell for passing on the information to us.
This probably 'd been said already, but the way I see it, GOG owes these guys a beer. That's how I run business anyway.
RafaelLopez: This probably 'd been said already, but the way I see it, GOG owes these guys a beer. That's how I run business anyway.
Eh, hope I'm not breaking protocol by revealing this, but they gave me a copy of the game plus any game of my choice from the GOG catalogue. More than enough compensation for me, the real reward was in getting the game for you all.
hansappel: ...new game in the Heretic/Hexen universe...
Now that would be a great idea.

What's with id Software anyway that they don't ever make new games out their big IPs?
RafaelLopez: This probably 'd been said already, but the way I see it, GOG owes these guys a beer. That's how I run business anyway.
IAmSinistar: Eh, hope I'm not breaking protocol by revealing this, but they gave me a copy of the game plus any game of my choice from the GOG catalogue. More than enough compensation for me, the real reward was in getting the game for you all.
Ok, that's what I had in mind. It sure must feel good to have nailed a dev for GOG and all gamers here, but a little freebie wouldn't hurt. Damn, if someone ever gets SSI D&D games to GOG, I'll be the one owing'em a beer.
Post edited November 29, 2013 by RafaelLopez
IAmSinistar: Eh, hope I'm not breaking protocol by revealing this, but they gave me a copy of the game plus any game of my choice from the GOG catalogue. More than enough compensation for me, the real reward was in getting the game for you all.
Yes, I got a free copy too. Quite nice.
+ 1
Leroux: If you try it out, I'd be interested to know that, too. I have a disc from the bargain bin and I did manage to run it on Vista but with the very annoying caveat that I always had to change the desktop resolution to 1024x768 each time I wanted to play it. And there was something about disabling desktop composition in the compatibility tab, which is why I couldn't get it to run on Win 8.1, since Win 8 doesn't offer this compatibilty option anymore (at least not in the game properties).
RafaelLopez: I'd love to help but I won't get around to do that in at least a week. I think if you post a question-thread on the title-specific forum the answer should pop pretty fast.

My friend's CD was one of these that come along with a magazine or something, I don't know if it's the same thing you call the bargain bin in Germany. Down here, titles older than four or five years appear with a very low price on a separate section of stores, sometimes bundled in some gaming magazine edition, other times they come standalone with little or no documentation.
Well, I'd be still interested in it in a week or later. I'm not at all in a rush to buy it right now. But don't worry about it, thanks for the reply! :)

And yeah, it was something like that, bought in a store but for $6 or less because it was old (and maybe not that well known). That was as recent as one or two years ago though (Fenixp recommended it to me ;) ).
Post edited November 29, 2013 by Leroux