It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Classic dungeon crawling awesomeness!

Anvil of Dawn, a classic DOS-era dungeon crawler with first-person perspective, sprite graphics, a vast and rich world to explore, and dozens of hours of great and motivating gameplay, is available on GOG.com for only $5.99

Every fantasy land needs a hero, it seems. There's always an evil entity of some sort that menaces the realm and its people. Surprisingly, the people never stand up to it. They prefer to wait for a group of adventurers, or even just one champion who knows the importance of wearing leg armor around archers. Inevitably someone comes to the rescue and saves the realm one spider-infested cellar at a time. Schematic as it may sound, we love to relive those adventures over and over again. Even if one dungeon looks pretty much the same as any other, you still get this rush of excitement when making your first steps on its dusty floor. It's not about originality of the concept. It's about the involving gameplay, that lets you forget about the world around you. Here's a perfect game to do just that!

Anvil of Dawn has everything you ever loved about 1990s role-playing games. It presents you with a large and diverse gameworld, full of monsters and enemies to slay, riches and powerful items to loot, quests to carry out, weapons to wield, spells to cast, and an evil overlord to challenge. It was praised for its great pacing allowing to keep the gamer entertained and intrigued, always presenting him with something new to do and achieve. The imaginative sprite-based graphics, solid gameplay mechanics, and many classic gameplay ideas make this title a shining example of well executed cRPG design that makes us call its period "the good old times". Highly recommended!

If a true old-school cRPG experience is what you're looking for, you simply can't afford to miss Anvil of Dawn, for only $5.99 on GOG.com!
I've never played it, but it looks awesome. It is on my wishlist and I will play it someday :D
hunvagy: Grimrock 2 with random generated dungeons *drools*

As for what you mentioned before, every version of Dungeon Hack I've seen had that silly intro with the voices :) "Shaodws, swamp, gloom and wine.. a fog does rise to cloud my mind, to hide the price I seek to find" Hell, I still know the whole damned thing word by word xD

Have you tried Deathkeep? I was trying to desperately find a PC version but nobody seems to have that one anymore :|
Deathkeep pops up as an expensive disc on eBay from time to time, but avoid it until/unless it ends up here cheaper... or play Stonekeep instead. The game mixes in the same enemy sprites from Slayer with different levels, but is a story-based affair with NO character generator (boo!). You get to choose from a handful of heroes and are stuck with who you pick. Some stuff is cool (you slip and slide on icy surfaces and there are some tricky puzzles), but much of the game felt rushed to me (the intro movie is pretty awful). Granted, I only own the 3DO version, but I've not heard great stuff about DK from anyone who had the PC version.

I'll probably go back and fire up an old save at some point, as I got stuck somewhere near the ending (or what I think is the ending).
Kadlin: Woah!

This game looks awesome!

First of all, you can be a woman of colour! Thank you! I am Latina and it's so nice to be able to play a woman of colour. These developers had wisdom and were very smart! Very cool.

Second, woah, this game looks great! I love these types of games. Look at that armour the first types of enemies you fight wear, studded bracers, spiked shoulder pads, boots with skulls on it, sword covered in blood! When they die they melt to their bones, then their bones crumble to dust! Only in an olde school game would you have that, that's awesome!

It's not often I get excited over a game release, like never, but here I am excited over a game release that's nearly 20 years olde. Now this is my type of game! Are there more games like this? Why aren't they being sold? I never heard of this game before, where are they!?
Being the first time I see somebody that could speak spanish, I don´t know if answer you in spanish or english xD

The game is truly awesome and one of his kind, I have seen videos of Might Magic series, Lands of Lore etc, but this game is like a hack-slash crawler, with a lot of charm that remember the fantasy setting of Conan the barbarian. There is an spanish version (but I´m triying of find it because my cd drive doesn´t work right now and noboy has it : s).

Play it ; ) you wo´t regret it!
hunvagy: Grimrock 2 with random generated dungeons *drools*

As for what you mentioned before, every version of Dungeon Hack I've seen had that silly intro with the voices :) "Shaodws, swamp, gloom and wine.. a fog does rise to cloud my mind, to hide the price I seek to find" Hell, I still know the whole damned thing word by word xD

Have you tried Deathkeep? I was trying to desperately find a PC version but nobody seems to have that one anymore :|
GeeLW: Deathkeep pops up as an expensive disc on eBay from time to time, but avoid it until/unless it ends up here cheaper... or play Stonekeep instead. The game mixes in the same enemy sprites from Slayer with different levels, but is a story-based affair with NO character generator (boo!). You get to choose from a handful of heroes and are stuck with who you pick. Some stuff is cool (you slip and slide on icy surfaces and there are some tricky puzzles), but much of the game felt rushed to me (the intro movie is pretty awful). Granted, I only own the 3DO version, but I've not heard great stuff about DK from anyone who had the PC version.

I'll probably go back and fire up an old save at some point, as I got stuck somewhere near the ending (or what I think is the ending).
Yeah I tried the 3DO version on the emulator, wasn't much of a game. But that's me, I'm a sucker for oddities. I'm proud to say that I actually enjoy Descent to Undermountain, for instance. xD *ducks from stones flying his direction*
Anvil of Dawn, maybe the last really good first person "step-by-step" kind of RPG until Grimrock came. Really recommended for you curious guys, though it is really long and it becomes a bit repetitive.

The dubbing in spanish was horrid, BTW.
Risingson: Anvil of Dawn, maybe the last really good first person "step-by-step" kind of RPG until Grimrock came. Really recommended for you curious guys, though it is really long and it becomes a bit repetitive.

The dubbing in spanish was horrid, BTW.
It was funny xD they speak always like in a giant room (echo...echo...)
hunvagy: Yeah I tried the 3DO version on the emulator, wasn't much of a game. But that's me, I'm a sucker for oddities. I'm proud to say that I actually enjoy Descent to Undermountain, for instance. xD *ducks from stones flying his direction*
Heh... now I just HAVE to try DtU one day! I saw it for eight bucks new/sealed not too long ago at some little thrift shop nearby and I didn't buy it. Then again, I think it's been there since they opened the place a few years back, so maybe I'd better grab it before I walk in smiling and walk out not smiling because someone beat me to it. I've heard nothing but bad things about it, but yeah,I have a soft spot for clunkers as well (Hell, I just reinstalled Might & Magic IX from the discs just to see if it still worked). That said, I couldn't make it through that last big SP Ultima game...
I'm a little disappointed Abandonia hasn't removed this from their site and linked to GOG. I thought they were about trying to get games out there legally again, or maybe they won't in hopes of getting more donations from people.
Give them a little time, or perhaps send them a reminder. I don't think they are monitoring shops on a daily basis. Also, I'm not sure if they have an affiliation with GOG running (digital download shops tend to be reluctant to accept abandonware sites as affiliates, but GOG might be an exception), but if they have, then it's in their best interest to put the link up quickly.
Psyringe: Give them a little time, or perhaps send them a reminder. I don't think they are monitoring shops on a daily basis. Also, I'm not sure if they have an affiliation with GOG running (digital download shops tend to be reluctant to accept abandonware sites as affiliates, but GOG might be an exception), but if they have, then it's in their best interest to put the link up quickly.
Well, with all due respect to GOG, it's not really my job to do that. Plus I think an actual GOG staffer would have more clout.

It would be very nice if GOG were donating at certain intervals to Abandonia (creating a respectable relationship) in return for having the links taken down, but I dunno...
tfishell: Well, with all due respect to GOG, it's not really my job to do that. Plus I think an actual GOG staffer would have more clout.

It would be very nice if GOG were donating at certain intervals to Abandonia (creating a respectable relationship) in return for having the links taken down, but I dunno...
You misunderstood. :)

No rights holder or distributor will ever pay an abandonware site for taking down the files. _If_ they want the files taken down, there are much easier ways to achieve that.

Also, it's actually not Gog's job to enforce the copyright either, that would be the publisher's, because it's their copyright that's being infringed upon.

No, what I meant is: _If_ Abandonia is putting up links to GOG, then it makes sense for them to enter an affiliate program and get a percentage of the sales that their links generate. And _if_ GOG accepts them in said affiliate program, then it makes sense for Abandonia to put the links to GOG up quickly, so that they can start to generate money.
Post edited May 21, 2013 by Psyringe
hunvagy: Yeah I tried the 3DO version on the emulator, wasn't much of a game. But that's me, I'm a sucker for oddities. I'm proud to say that I actually enjoy Descent to Undermountain, for instance. xD *ducks from stones flying his direction*
GeeLW: Heh... now I just HAVE to try DtU one day! I saw it for eight bucks new/sealed not too long ago at some little thrift shop nearby and I didn't buy it. Then again, I think it's been there since they opened the place a few years back, so maybe I'd better grab it before I walk in smiling and walk out not smiling because someone beat me to it. I've heard nothing but bad things about it, but yeah,I have a soft spot for clunkers as well (Hell, I just reinstalled Might & Magic IX from the discs just to see if it still worked). That said, I couldn't make it through that last big SP Ultima game...
I somehow doubt anyone really wanted to do that. Ascension is horrible.. And if you really like clunkers, get yourself a copy of Dungeon Lords MMXII xD Seriously, that game has been "polished" for 7 years or so, and it's still a big stinking pile of crap. Funnily enough I have two copies of it, Dungeon Lords 1.5 from 2007 (got it in a Nordic games bundle along with gothic 3 something else), and last time I was shopping for a controller, I picked up MMXII for the awesome price of 3 Euros. Well.. should've spent in on a burger :P
GeeLW: Heh... now I just HAVE to try DtU one day! I saw it for eight bucks new/sealed not too long ago at some little thrift shop nearby and I didn't buy it. Then again, I think it's been there since they opened the place a few years back, so maybe I'd better grab it before I walk in smiling and walk out not smiling because someone beat me to it. I've heard nothing but bad things about it, but yeah,I have a soft spot for clunkers as well (Hell, I just reinstalled Might & Magic IX from the discs just to see if it still worked). That said, I couldn't make it through that last big SP Ultima game...
hunvagy: I somehow doubt anyone really wanted to do that. Ascension is horrible.. And if you really like clunkers, get yourself a copy of Dungeon Lords MMXII xD Seriously, that game has been "polished" for 7 years or so, and it's still a big stinking pile of crap. Funnily enough I have two copies of it, Dungeon Lords 1.5 from 2007 (got it in a Nordic games bundle along with gothic 3 something else), and last time I was shopping for a controller, I picked up MMXII for the awesome price of 3 Euros. Well.. should've spent in on a burger :P
Oh, Dungeon Lords and I are OLD friends, lol. I had a launch copy a friend sent me (he had to review it and yeah, I asked how it was and it showed up a few days later with a note that said "you'll find out..."). Ugh. Still, I got suckered into the Collector's Edition (well, it was only $4.99) and double yuk. My third copy came with the RPG Triple Pack with Gothic 3 and Loki and yes, my head is still spinning from buying that set - it was cheap too, but man, I felt whomever thought up that pack laughing all the way to the bank. Oh well, patched and modded, Gothic 3 isn't bad, but the other two... yeesh.

I could "recommend" Etrom: The Astral Essence to you, but I don't want you to come here and beat me up. That one's a real dog. It has one or two good ideas, but even for a dollar I thought I overpaid...