It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Cambrey: It's the first time I carve a pumpkin this way. Too bad that I goofed up with the eye.

Looks good! :)
cogadh: I don't care what anyone else says, that one is the best pumpkin evar!

Thanks. :) I did that one after a coworker complained about "kids these days and their games with shiny graphics and no imagination, why in my day..." or something like that.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/30/vote-may-the-best-pumpkin-win/
Voted for ceemdee!
Post edited October 30, 2009 by captfitz

Heheh, thanks.
Honestly though I'd actually feel bad if I got second place because I think the current second place (Borderlands) is better than mine. The first place one though... well I have a bit of a problem with that one.
WooooOOOOOooooo scary !
Edit : I voted too. Good luck for that contest.
Attachments:
pumpkin_2.jpg (210 Kb)
Post edited October 30, 2009 by Cambrey

Voted!
The first place isn't even a pumpkin. Plus it looks like they've inked it or something. That's got to be cheating.
Navagon: Voted!
The first place isn't even a pumpkin. Plus it looks like they've inked it or something. That's got to be cheating.

It is a pumpkin and they did carve a lot of it, but a huge amount of the shading is due to it being inked. In fact stuff like the little bits of grass near the bottom and the jagged looking trees in the background aren't even additional shading; they're purely drawn on.
Of course I probably wouldn't be as annoyed if it weren't for the fact that I'm in third place, heh.
ceemdee: It is a pumpkin and they did carve a lot of it, but a huge amount of the shading is due to it being inked. In fact stuff like the little bits of grass near the bottom and the jagged looking trees in the background aren't even additional shading; they're purely drawn on.
Of course I probably wouldn't be as annoyed if it weren't for the fact that I'm in third place, heh.

It's hardly right for a pumpkin carving competition, even if the overall effect is a good one. It still doesn't belong. The Borderlands one is pretty damn impressive though.
Navagon: It's hardly right for a pumpkin carving competition, even if the overall effect is a good one. It still doesn't belong. The Borderlands one is pretty damn impressive though.

Also there is a problem with where you draw the line by allowing it. What about different colored ink to give even more shading, or paint, or dye.
The Borderlands one is the best of the finalists. That's why I said I'd feel bad if I got second place since mine is really only getting a lot of votes because it's based on a Joystiq meme.
Aliasalpha: That one there, thats every kind of awesome it can be without having naked ladies
Wishbone: The phrase "if it had tits and was on fire" springs to mind ;-)

So, uhh, is this adequate?
Attachments:
ceemdee: So, uhh, is this adequate?

(Blink.)
Uh... I'll be in my bunk.
ceemdee: Though it was just suggested, this is the image I've been wanting to carve the most since I started.
Wishbone: I am... speechless. That is just soooo beautiful!

I agree 400000%. I can't for the life of me understand why Ceemdee isn't the highest rep holder on this site.
I wish I had found this thread ages ago.
Cambrey: It's the first time I carve a pumpkin this way. Too bad that I goofed up with the eye.

Great job!
About the Joystiq contest, I *knew* something was fishy about the WOW one..it looks TOO good. The Borderlands one is nice, but I think yours was better. Now, your daylighting vs his daylighting, he wins...but I wonder how his looks in the dark? Yours is fantastic in the dark. Oh well, still a great showing.
Post edited November 01, 2009 by anjohl
Well 3rd place is pretty good, certainly for something with so many entries. Is there a prize?
The newest must be the Best Pumpkin Evar! You should have given her a small vault boy tattoo just to justify the gaming link and submitted that one for the contest.
Post edited November 01, 2009 by Aliasalpha
Wishbone: The phrase "if it had tits and was on fire" springs to mind ;-)

Reminds me of the ol' pinups. Just as well, I was watching a documentary about pinups (in French, no less) like, an hour ago.

Yes! Excellent :-D
anjohl: About the Joystiq contest, I *knew* something was fishy about the WOW one..it looks TOO good. The Borderlands one is nice, but I think yours was better. Now, your daylighting vs his daylighting, he wins...but I wonder how his looks in the dark? Yours is fantastic in the dark. Oh well, still a great showing.

Oh the Borderlands one looks great in the dark too. Plus I know his was more difficult since it wasn't just a high contrast image like most of mine are.
Aliasalpha: Well 3rd place is pretty good, certainly for something with so many entries. Is there a prize?
The newest must be the Best Pumpkin Evar! You should have given her a small vault boy tattoo just to justify the gaming link and submitted that one for the contest.

Nope, no third place prize. Still, it seemed to amuse people which is really why I did it.
Unfortunately I didn't win any of the contests I entered this year. Not even the costume contest at work since my damn coworker dressed up as Master Chief!