It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome to relativity! Get your complimentary fez.

FEZ,an original, incredibly deep perspective-twisting puzzle-platformer with countless awesome stages to explore, is available 10% off for pre-order on GOG.com. That's only $8.99 until Wednesday, May 1, at 9:59AM GMT, when we expect the game to arrive.

[url=http://www.gog.com/gamecard/fez][/url]A unique title like FEZ demands we did something special. This is why we decided to start a little weird contest, so you get the chance to Win a fez to play FEZ in a fez! That's right! We're giving away 20 FEZ fezes to people who pre-order the game. The game's puzzles are highly complicated, challenging, original, and complex, so we decided to keep the contest rules as plain, simple, and uninspired as possible. Here's what you need to do:

1. Pre-order FEZ here for only $8.99: www.gog.com/gamecard/fez
2. Write to [url=mailto:contest@gog.com]contest@gog.com[/url] and tell us why you should win a fez
3. Profit: win one of the 20 awesome fezes to give away! (We'll start shipping them worldwide on May 1st, so that's the deadline for submissions.)

See the fez here.

FEZ is a puzzle-platformer like no other. First of all, its gameplay mechanics come with a perspective-changing twist, that make every stage of the game not one, but four 2D landscapes. You'll have to use that to your advantage and figure out how to make seemingly impossible jumps. That's just scratching the surface, though. There's no telling just how many complex and original puzzles have been hidden in the world of FEZ. That might be the first game in quite some time, that will make you take notes while you play, so you can crack some of the game's secrets and understand its strange languages. There's so many layers and levels to the world you'll be exploring, that you probably won't see the half of it at your first playthrough! Pair that with incredibly diverse level-design, and charming pixel-art (ummm... sorry, trixel-art) graphics, and what you get is one of the most remarkable titles of our time. Be sure not to miss it!

Pre-order FEZ today to enjoy its mind-bending perspective-twisting charm at 10% discount! Remember, the pre-order offer lasts until Wednesday, May 1, at 9:59AM GMT
Post edited April 22, 2013 by G-Doc
YnK: This thread is starting to make me feel uneasy. See, I'm a creator myself (though it's poetry, not games), and I also got horrible social skills due to spending most of my time at home. As a result of this, what I write almost always feels like the complete opposite of what I can sometimes say in a conversation, especially when I start to express my odd, twisted views of things (this is going to scare me off the internet sooner or later).

While I agree that insulting your potential fans and customers is not a good strategy by any means, the thing is that you usually buy a game (or a car, as in Lodium's analogy above) for your own personal pleasure, not just to support the creator. Denying yourself this pleasure because the creator/car dealer is a dick (or at least has a really weird sense of humor, I can't tell in this case) is definitely a choice, but I still think that this is a bit of overreaction. After all, nobody's perfect.
Yes i can understand this point and its a good one.
Its just that i feel that i dont deserve to be treated rudly when entering a store with my money that i have worked my ass off to earn even if its just for my self pleasure.
I stll have some self respect and i dont think i woud have taken it well if had gotten trolled by the sales clerk.

The one that selling me the product or whatever actually have this as part of their job.(At least somewhat even if its a 3d party or something thats selling it)
Its Not me that are selling the product or whatever
I just have the money and with a potential buy i woud expect to be treated fair otherwise i go somewhere else since i see customer service a part of the experience.

Unless im an asshole myself offcourse.
If im an ass myself then i deserve to be treated the same way.
Post edited April 23, 2013 by Lodium
Fair's fair, if I spent months of intense labor working on an (extremely well-received) game, and enough people started whining about the price, it would put me in a bad mood, too. Indie gaming fans seem to believe equally strongly in two things, that indie games are better than AAA games, and that if an indie game charges even 1/6th the price of a AAA, it's an outrageous rip-off. That's a generalization, obviously, but I feel like it has at least some justice behind it.
jpolastre: Do you want me to send you some fezes? Give me the address, I'll make sure you receive a nice and smelly package.
Stooner: Fine! Send me then: ;p

please, put your name and address on the package, so I can easily send you something nice!
Sure.
*checks annoying coworker's full name and address*
I'll be waiting ;-p (Although I don't believe your address up above is actually yours either.)

Curiosamente, por algum motivo eu sempre imaginei que vc era carioca.
Lodium: Not sure if i had bougth a car if the seller was screaming in my face
Buy this car you idiot, even if it was a joke.
Game is probably fine and fun, but im not sure if il support that kind of attitude wholeheartily myself though.

Yes, i know hes probably joking
but as a consumer/potential buyer i stll want some respect when i enter a shop unless i deserve otherwise.
See, I don't like to think of games that way. A lot of gaming is stuck in a rut (in my opinion, obviously) because we think of games as products, not artwork, and the people who make them as waiters, not artists. So yes, Phil Fish is a really rude waiter. But I like to think of Fez as being something more than a cheeseburger you send back because the waiter is being a dick.

I have a big problem with the feeling of being pandered to, so I vastly prefer his approach over the sycophantic praising and the "customer is always right!" mentality that comes from most marketing/PR types. That's what leads to games being dumbed down to fit as wide a market as possible.
BadDecissions: Fair's fair, if I spent months of intense labor working on an (extremely well-received) game, and enough people started whining about the price, it would put me in a bad mood, too. Indie gaming fans seem to believe equally strongly in two things, that indie games are better than AAA games, and that if an indie game charges even 1/6th the price of a AAA, it's an outrageous rip-off. That's a generalization, obviously, but I feel like it has at least some justice behind it.
Yeah, I've got no sweet clue how people take that $90 comment at anything more than a joke. This is the guy who launched on XBLA at $10, even though every indie game before and since have been priced at $15.
Post edited April 23, 2013 by PenutBrittle
YnK: If I say "most games on [insert online game retailer name here] are terrible", will anybody believe that I've actually played/seen enough of them to be able to judge almost the entire catalog?
MogicCap: No, but you will sound exactly like every other person posting anonymously on the internet. (See what I did thar?)
The real irony of Phil Fish haters is they somehow believe he's more of a smartass than any other forum troll. He's not, he just has a bigger soapbox than them. And yes he's a troubled young man, but who can't relate to that?

I think his current Twitter avatar of Andy Kaufman is god damn inspired. That's it. That's totally what his persona has been conflated into. Angry kids don't even get it.

Anyhoo, I have a lot of friends without 360s that need to experience Fez. Times like this it's frustrating that online services never have a quantity box in the shopping cart. :) (Why is that anyway? Don't you want to sell me 5 gift codes for System Shock 2 at once? You gotta make it tedious and rack up charges per transaction? That's the real insult here. ;p )
See, I could ignore Phil's existence, if his game was any good...except for the fact that his game is a mediocre platformer that's completely derivative of the same industries he's criticizing. It's far too easy to toss the "hater" epithet, which is shit, imo, because it automatically assumes that jealousy is the root cause of any criticism towards anyone. This ain't "No Child Left Behind," you don't get a free pass, and frankly, using the "hater" argument should automatically invalidate any defense you may have of either the game or its creator. This also opens your statement up to the standard cyclical "if I'm a hater, then you're a shill/fanboy" argument as well.

So, I think it's better than we all just agree to disagree, then get on with our lives. :P
jpolastre: Sure.
I'll be waiting ;-p (Although I don't believe your address up above is actually yours either.)
Noo.. don't worry, that's exactly where I live... why would you think otherwise? send me the fezes package ASAP. ;p
(http://i.imgur.com/n6grxgN.jpg)
Post edited April 23, 2013 by Stooner
Lodium: Not sure if i had bougth a car if the seller was screaming in my face
Buy this car you idiot, even if it was a joke.
Game is probably fine and fun, but im not sure if il support that kind of attitude wholeheartily myself though.

Yes, i know hes probably joking
but as a consumer/potential buyer i stll want some respect when i enter a shop unless i deserve otherwise.
PenutBrittle: See, I don't like to think of games that way. A lot of gaming is stuck in a rut (in my opinion, obviously) because we think of games as products, not artwork, and the people who make them as waiters, not artists. So yes, Phil Fish is a really rude waiter. But I like to think of Fez as being something more than a cheeseburger you send back because the waiter is being a dick.

I have a big problem with the feeling of being pandered to, so I vastly prefer his approach over the sycophantic praising and the "customer is always right!" mentality that comes from most marketing/PR types. That's what leads to games being dumbed down to fit as wide a market as possible.
BadDecissions: Fair's fair, if I spent months of intense labor working on an (extremely well-received) game, and enough people started whining about the price, it would put me in a bad mood, too. Indie gaming fans seem to believe equally strongly in two things, that indie games are better than AAA games, and that if an indie game charges even 1/6th the price of a AAA, it's an outrageous rip-off. That's a generalization, obviously, but I feel like it has at least some justice behind it.
PenutBrittle: Yeah, I've got no sweet clue how people take that $90 comment at anything more than a joke. This is the guy who launched on XBLA at $10, even though every indie game before and since have been priced at $15.
Oh, i agree with this point as well
Too much pampering isnt good either and the customer isnt always right for sure.
I just want mutual respect if such a thing still exist.

Treat others the way you want to be treated yourself that kind of thing.
BadDecissions: Indie gaming fans seem to believe equally strongly in two things, that indie games are better than AAA games, and that if an indie game charges even 1/6th the price of a AAA, it's an outrageous rip-off. That's a generalization, obviously, but I feel like it has at least some justice behind it.
I enjoy highly polished (AAA) games too, but at this point, I just like games that push the envelop more.

However, the claim about the price is untrue.

I expect ALL my games to be less than half the price of a new AAA game, though I won't say no to 1/6 of the price :P.
I can't believe people actually take these things seriously. You know he's joking, right? That he's having fun?

Gamers are so tone-deaf. In a hobby that's all about entertainment, you'd figure that the participants wouldn't act like their dog died when someone made a joke that poked fun.
I take Phil Fish's personality seriously, on account of his behavior. While serving as part of a panel at a conference, game designer Goto asked Phil Fish a question on the floor.

Question: "What do you think of Japanese games?"
Answer: "They just suck."

He said this to Goto's face while at the center of attention - without backing up this statement in any substantial way or offering constructive criticism. This was a slap to the face against that developer and Japan, which I feel is unwarranted.
Sabin_Stargem: I take Phil Fish's personality seriously, on account of his behavior. While serving as part of a panel at a conference, game designer Goto asked Phil Fish a question on the floor.

Question: "What do you think of Japanese games?"
Answer: "They just suck."

He said this to Goto's face while at the center of attention - without backing up this statement in any substantial way or offering constructive criticism. This was a slap to the face against that developer and Japan, which I feel is unwarranted.
I'm sure Japan is devastated.
jpolastre: Sure.
Stooner: Noo.. don't worry, that's exactly where I live... why would you think otherwise? send me the fezes package ASAP. ;p
(http://i.imgur.com/n6grxgN.jpg)
Riiiight... and you wouldn't happen to hold a rank of "captain", now wouldja? ;)
Clever choice of address. I LOL'd..
Sabin_Stargem: -snip-
You forgot the end of the story, where he later a) apologized b) clarified that he meant modern Japanese games c) admitted that he thinks there are a few exceptions.
Today I read his response on PC gaming, and the one on Steam out loud to a friend and realize that his comments ARE funny in a kind of trolling way if you don't take him too seriously.

Didn't change my perception of the game, though. Just an average to above average game in a genre that flooded the indie market a couple of years ago.
While it is true that Japan wouldn't be overly bothered by Phil Fish, it is still a mark against Phil Fish's character. If he had good intentions, I think that he would have explained his argument in detail while on the floor. After all - that is the point of a panel, to express opinions and to educate people on them. It is his failure when he didn't give context to why he held his opinion.

Explaining after the fact doesn't work, not when you are a member of the Game Development Conference panel and go no further than "Your games just suck." In my opinion, this is a demonstration of Phil Fish not taking his duties on the panel seriously, and it shows that he lacks empathy towards the feelings of other people.