It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A completely new chapter in the most prominent modern horror game series.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, a terrifying survival horror game set in Victorian London, on the edge of insanity and nightmare, is available for pre-orders 20% off on GOG.com. That's only $15.99 before the game is released on September 10.

Cold sweat running down my back, I sit wide awake in my bed. Before the fever is back, I have a moment of clarity to reflect upon my dreams. The noise of the machine that haunts them still sounds in my head. The visions of infernal machinery are driving me insane, never revealing the installations whole form nor purpose. All I'm certain about is my fear. The cold sting of its needle pierces right through my heart. The world feels more and more like a small cardboard box, and its walls are getting closer, and closer. Finally, they will close on me and trap me inside, like in a little coffin. Even though the window is open, and the cold, damp air of the London night extends its tendrils down my lungs, I don't feel that I can breathe freely as the fear consumes me. I can hear that infernal engine again. Strange, I could've sworn I'm not asleep anymore.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, the indirect sequel to [url=]Amnesia: The Dark Descent[/url] excels in the art of terror storytelling. Using first-person perspective gameplay, suggestive visuals, and chilling ambiance, it creates an experience that all horror fans will deeply appreciate. Altering and expanding the ideas used in the previous Amnesia story, the game offers a new level of immersion and interaction, that will make you feel a part of the events more than ever before. With a gripping story-line, perfect pacing, and atmospheric environment design, this title is everything you need to make your heart beat faster.

Pre-order Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs for only $15.99 on GOG.com today, and start preparing for one of the most terrifying and unsettling gaming experiences of your life. The 20% pre-order discount offer lasts until the game's release, which is expected on September 10.
DoctorGOGgles: I think there might be slightly more than 3 or 4 GOG Linux users. There are more than 20 people asking for a Linux version in this thread alone and the wishlist has more than 11300 votes for Linux versions.
Doubtful, people vote for things on the wishlist just because they can be voted for and they seem good enough ideas. I've known a few Linux users and all of them used a Windows install on a boot partition to play games.
Crosmando: Why exactly should GOG cater to the 3 or 4 GOG Linux users (all of which are probably using different distros) who might buy the game for the Linux version.
DoctorGOGgles: I think there might be slightly more than 3 or 4 GOG Linux users. There are more than 20 people asking for a Linux version in this thread alone and the wishlist has more than 11300 votes for Linux versions.
Wonder how many of those votes are actually Linux users and not people from other platforms who think that Linux should get their support.
Crosmando: Doubtful, people vote for things on the wishlist just because they can be voted for and they seem good enough ideas. I've known a few Linux users and all of them used a Windows install on a boot partition to play games.
Except for those whose who use Wine and linux native clients, and don't have Windows installed on their machine.
I don't know how profitable Linux games would be for GOG, but they've certainly lost some money from me. I've bought Legend of Grimrock, the Amnesia and Penumbra games, Hotline Miami, Space Chem, Trine, Botanicula and Machinarium at other places, because they've offered them DRM free and with the Linux version for about the same price as GOG.
As for the cost of supporting different distributions: Nobody expects GOG to support every distro. Even Steam supports Ubuntu-based distributions only, but that's still better than what GOG offers...
I preordered this! ....... on Steam.
sonicpp: No Linux version on GOG? Ok, i will buy it on Desura or Humble Bundle...
Smannesman: Luckily they have the same 20% off deal and that includes the Windows, Linux and Mac versions DRM-free and a Steam key.
Not my kind of game really, but that is a nice package.
Thanks for the link :) Making it so easy..

Purchased from Humble for the Linux version.
Crosmando: Why exactly should GOG cater to the 3 or 4 GOG Linux users (all of which are probably using different distros) who might buy the game for the Linux version.

What needs to be proven is whether it would be PROFITABLE to GOG to offer Linux versions.
Firstly I'm certain there are far more than just 3 or 4 Linux users here, and secondly it's not exclusively about supporting Linux for current Linux GOG users, but also about bringing more Linux users to GOG (and I'd guess that most Linux users would be more interested in buying games DRM-free from GOG than DRM'ed from Steam).

As for profitability, well... look at the other big companies supporting Linux now, or about to offer Linux support, as I mentioned before. Valve, Deep Silver, Crytek, Kalypso, Devolver Digital, Sega. They all seem to think it's at least worth giving Linux support a try. Not to mention all the indies offering Linux support now too...

GOG has already lost some business from me due to their refusal to provide the native Linux versions of games that are available for Linux elsewhere.

Crosmando: Doubtful, people vote for things on the wishlist just because they can be voted for and they seem good enough ideas. I've known a few Linux users and all of them used a Windows install on a boot partition to play games.
I use Windows only to play games that I cannot get to run in CrossOver and many games I've tried so far do work quite well. Even some very recent games.

I've been using Linux for the better part of 6 months now (and prior to that I had basically 0 Linux experience); if compatibility was that bad or if I had that many problems with it I'd have switched back to Windows by now.
Post edited August 18, 2013 by adamhm
Brilliant. Your anecdotal evidence really must mean that there are only 3 or 4 Linux users on GOG. Bravo! I also guess that negates Mac OS support, Windows support, and all the other good ideas that people have on here. I suggest GOG should only support Windows 8.1 because that is in fact what everybody will be using in a year's time. It's the only way for GOG to make a profit, I swear it.
Future_Suture: Brilliant. Your anecdotal evidence really must mean that there are only 3 or 4 Linux users on GOG. Bravo! I also guess that negates Mac OS support, Windows support, and all the other good ideas that people have on here. I suggest GOG should only support Windows 8.1 because that is in fact what everybody will be using in a year's time. It's the only way for GOG to make a profit, I swear it.
When did I say any of that? I won't be using Win 8 until the old desktop with Start menu is back, and as I understand the .1 update won't have that. And of course it's anecdotal, but GOG still is a business and for Linux to become viable on GOG then they would still need to do a cost-benefit analysis (same as they would of done for Mac) to find out if the cost of porting games to Linux and the cost of build management was worth the benefit of estimated extra sales from Linux users. You don't think GOG supported Mac for charity do you?

And I actually think that GOG probably should offer Linux versions of games that already officially have them, as that makes sense, before paying employees to put stuff in Wine wrappers or make Linux dosbox versions.
Crosmando: When did I say any of that? I won't be using Win 8 until the old desktop with Start menu is back, and as I understand the .1 update won't have that.
The 8.1 update brings back the start button, but all it does is take you back to the awful touchscreen menu. I think you'll be waiting quite a while before Microsoft even *thinks* about bringing the Start menu back, and I think Penny Arcade summed it up best: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/28

...cost of porting games to Linux...
GOG doesn't do any porting... they either pre-package with DOSBox or use a wine wrapper if native versions aren't available. AFAIK once the work has been done to get a DOS game working in DOSBox it usually only needs minor configuration changes for other platforms, and as far as Windows games go I prefer to set them up in Wine/CrossOver myself (it's not much harder than installing them on Windows anyway).
And I actually think that GOG probably should offer Linux versions of games that already officially have them, as that makes sense...
This is basically what we're asking for. "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs" will have a native Linux version available at launch pretty much everywhere but GOG.com. Which means the only option for us to get the native version is to buy it elsewhere (in my case, I have pre-ordered it from the Humble Store although I would have preferred to buy it here).
I got 169 games on my shelf. I do not have any microsoft windows. I support GOG and what it stands for. But the fact is, is that the market is changing. GOG already submitted to delivering mac ports.
I have a budget for games, and it is going to the humble bundle, desura and steam nowadays.
My biggest hurt was Botanicula, which I happily pre-ordered/funded through GOG, after which I still have to buy a Botanicula linux license.

But do not forget: Licensing is *very* hard. Especially for linux platforms. I am glad to see that more and more developers are supporting linux themselves instead of licensing a porting company.

I would be happy if GOG provided the binaries from the gamecompany themselves with no support. Otoh: this world is full of whiners, ready to take on the world in a righteous holy war to get the $2 back they "lost".
Future_Suture: Brilliant. Your anecdotal evidence really must mean that there are only 3 or 4 Linux users on GOG. Bravo! I also guess that negates Mac OS support, Windows support, and all the other good ideas that people have on here. I suggest GOG should only support Windows 8.1 because that is in fact what everybody will be using in a year's time. It's the only way for GOG to make a profit, I swear it.
Crosmando: When did I say any of that? I won't be using Win 8 until the old desktop with Start menu is back, and as I understand the .1 update won't have that. And of course it's anecdotal, but GOG still is a business and for Linux to become viable on GOG then they would still need to do a cost-benefit analysis (same as they would of done for Mac) to find out if the cost of porting games to Linux and the cost of build management was worth the benefit of estimated extra sales from Linux users. You don't think GOG supported Mac for charity do you?

And I actually think that GOG probably should offer Linux versions of games that already officially have them, as that makes sense, before paying employees to put stuff in Wine wrappers or make Linux dosbox versions.
Oh, I was just utilizing hyperbole like you were earlier to portray the absurdity of using hyperbole. Sure, GOG should do all that, and the folks at GOG said they are looking into it but we've heard nothing since. When all these other businesses find it viable, however, you really have to wonder what is going on, especially when many Linux users deem GOG supporting Linux a marriage made in heaven due to its policies on leaving out DRM and regional pricing. I certainly do not think that GOG supports Mac OS for charity, but when 7.30 times as many people bother voting for Linux support as opposed to Mac OS support, I really start to wonder. In addition, nobody is asking GOG to port games to Linux (although The Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 would be nice). GOG simply needs to provide the Linux clients that already exist for games it sells, and making DOSBox and ScummVM games easily accessible on Linux isn't that hard either. It's not outrageous to want a version of your game from your favorite retailer when A) it already exists and B) other digital retailers are offering it as well.
Crosmando: When did I say any of that? I won't be using Win 8 until the old desktop with Start menu is back, and as I understand the .1 update won't have that. And of course it's anecdotal, but GOG still is a business and for Linux to become viable on GOG then they would still need to do a cost-benefit analysis (same as they would of done for Mac) to find out if the cost of porting games to Linux and the cost of build management was worth the benefit of estimated extra sales from Linux users. You don't think GOG supported Mac for charity do you?

Future_Suture: Oh, I was just utilizing hyperbole like you were earlier to portray the absurdity of using hyperbole. Sure, GOG should do all that, and the folks at GOG said they are looking into it but we've heard nothing since. When all these other businesses find it viable, however, you really have to wonder what is going on, especially when many Linux users deem GOG supporting Linux a marriage made in heaven due to its policies on leaving out DRM and regional pricing. I certainly do not think that GOG supports Mac OS for charity, but when 7.30 times as many people bother voting for Linux support as opposed to Mac OS support, I really start to wonder. In addition, nobody is asking GOG to port games to Linux (although The Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 would be nice). GOG simply needs to provide the Linux clients that already exist for games it sells, and making DOSBox and ScummVM games easily accessible on Linux isn't that hard either. It's not outrageous to want a version of your game from your favorite retailer when A) it already exists and B) other digital retailers are offering it as well.
I was a bit disappointed that the latest round of recruiting at GOG did not offer a job vacancy associated with Linux support, however preliminary it might be. I'm up for the job, but I´m not planning to live in Warszawa. I have been running and administrating Linux since 1997, desktop, server and embedded.
Post edited August 18, 2013 by jorlin
Future_Suture: Oh, I was just utilizing hyperbole like you were earlier to portray the absurdity of using hyperbole. Sure, GOG should do all that, and the folks at GOG said they are looking into it but we've heard nothing since. When all these other businesses find it viable, however, you really have to wonder what is going on, especially when many Linux users deem GOG supporting Linux a marriage made in heaven due to its policies on leaving out DRM and regional pricing. I certainly do not think that GOG supports Mac OS for charity, but when 7.30 times as many people bother voting for Linux support as opposed to Mac OS support, I really start to wonder. In addition, nobody is asking GOG to port games to Linux (although The Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 would be nice). GOG simply needs to provide the Linux clients that already exist for games it sells, and making DOSBox and ScummVM games easily accessible on Linux isn't that hard either. It's not outrageous to want a version of your game from your favorite retailer when A) it already exists and B) other digital retailers are offering it as well.
jorlin: I was a bit disappointed that the latest round of recruiting at GOG did not offer a job vacancy associated with Linux support, however preliminary it might be. I'm up for the job, but I´m not planning to live in Warszawa. I have been running and administrating Linux since 1997, desktop, server and embedded.
I thought there was a role associated with Linux. Check this thread.
jorlin: I was a bit disappointed that the latest round of recruiting at GOG did not offer a job vacancy associated with Linux support, however preliminary it might be. I'm up for the job, but I´m not planning to live in Warszawa. I have been running and administrating Linux since 1997, desktop, server and embedded.
Future_Suture: I thought there was a role associated with Linux. Check this thread.
Well spotted :-) I did some software development, but I cannot call myself a software engineer (yet) by any means. I'm more into system administration and bridging the gap between techies and non-techies. The combination "Excellence in UX" and " Technical knowledge of popular operating systems: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux." points to the wish to develop a client program, possibly a downloader, but maybe even installers. This is exciting news indeed!