It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Survey Results: See what the future of GOG.com holds!

A few weeks ago we asked you to fill out a survey about some of the possible new areas of gaming that GOG.com might move into in the future. We also promised that we’d share the results with you, and they are below. Before we get to that, though, we did want to let you know what these mean to us:

1. We remain committed to bringing you guys the best games from all of gaming history, on both PC and Mac. This means that while we’re exploring ways to bring you new games, we also are committed to bringing classics back to life as well. This year alone has seen Omikron, System Shock 2, the Leisure Suit Larry series, Strike Commander, and even Daikatana!

2. DLC is a controversial issue, but something that has been in gaming—by another name—since the very early days. You guys seem to understand that it’s not possible for us to sign new games with all of their DLC (before it is even made) bundled in, and it looks like you’re willing to either buy DLC or not as you find it interesting. As part of our continual efforts to improve the user experience on GOG.com, we will be looking at new, better ways to present DLC in our catalog as well.

3. Selling episodic content before the “season” is finished is also something we’re looking forward to bringing you in the future, and you seem to agree.

4. Season passes—for both DLC and for episodic content—clearly have a mixed perception here. Season passes—if we do offer them—are something that we’ll approach with deliberation to make sure that we’re confident that the content that is promised will all be delivered.

5. Finally, we have somewhat conflicting information on the persistent multiplayer features; when discussed in a very abstract fashion (as it was in the first survey), it’s a very clear “no.” When mentioned in a specific game that we’ve shown you, it’s an equally clear “yes.” What we’re going to be sure of, going forward, is that we’re very careful that any game that we bring you guys with persistent multiplayer features will be at least as offline-friendly as Planetary Annihilation is.

One of the defining characteristics of GOG.com is that the games that we sell have no DRM; this isn't going to change, and we will continue to evaluate the games that we bring to you to make sure that they're not only great games, but great games that we think will fit in well with how we do business.

<iframe src="http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/19169133?rel=0" width="590" height="472" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" style="border:1px solid #CCC;border-width:1px 1px 0;margin-bottom:5px" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen> </iframe>

Thank you for responding to our surveys in such large numbers. GOG.com would be a mere shadow of itself if it wasn't for its incredible, open, friendly, and active community--that is you!
Post edited April 19, 2013 by G-Doc
zels: GOG, stop pretending that you're currently a viable option for new, big releases. You're good enough for for bit-sized games (<1 GB) but anything over that and your downloader crashes and burns.

Before you're in a position to offer big, new games redesign your frontpage to handle DLCs and fix your downloader.
What are you talking about? I have plenty of games that is well above 1GB in size in my shelf here on GOG.com and I've had no problems at all downloading, installing or playing them.
Cormoran: I dont see any "please i beg you to choose yes" try again. and while you're at it #dealwithit.
I'm done, cry about it all you want. Me, I'll enjoy the DLC's as they come.
I'll be there not wasting money then. However I am very I am not crying, I am fighting. Someone has to fix the bullshit you're forcing upon everyone after all.
zels: GOG, stop pretending that you're currently a viable option for new, big releases. You're good enough for for bit-sized games (<1 GB) but anything over that and your downloader crashes and burns.

Before you're in a position to offer big, new games redesign your frontpage to handle DLCs and fix your downloader.
Fluffboll: What are you talking about? I have plenty of games that is well above 1GB in size in my shelf here on GOG.com and I've had no problems at all downloading, installing or playing them.
You seem to have gotten lucky then, every release I run into at least one serious problem.

Just today, the downloader crashed when I tried to rearange the list, the game that I was trying to relocate disappeared from the list and the game that was on top reset to 0%. Also, another game got stuck on ~99% (also today).
This week: GOG announces some ideas on how to get more money. Everybody starts complaining.

Next week (or so): GOG releases some game from the top of the community wishlist. Everybody shuts up and hands them money.
SPTX: I'll be there not wasting money then. However I am very I am not crying, I am fighting. Someone has to fix the bullshit you're forcing upon everyone after all.
Who is forcing anything upon anybody if nothing has happened yet? It'll be a while before anything from the survey shows up. Are you guys clairvoyant or something?
YnK: Who is forcing anything upon anybody if nothing has happened yet? It'll be a while before anything from the survey shows up. Are you guys clairvoyant or something?
He's in such a blind nerd rage right now that arguing with him will only result in a vicious cycle of wasting your time.

Fluffboll: What are you talking about? I have plenty of games that is well above 1GB in size in my shelf here on GOG.com and I've had no problems at all downloading, installing or playing them.
zels: You seem to have gotten lucky then, every release I run into at least one serious problem.

Just today, the downloader crashed when I tried to rearange the list, the game that I was trying to relocate disappeared from the list and the game that was on top reset to 0%. Also, another game got stuck on ~99% (also today).
I'm downloading a 1.5GB game right now. Never really had much issues, maybe post in the downloader thread if you haven't.
zels: You seem to have gotten lucky then, every release I run into at least one serious problem.

Have you contacted GOG staff and shared your log file with them?
Post edited April 21, 2013 by Mivas
YnK: Who is forcing anything upon anybody if nothing has happened yet? It'll be a while before anything from the survey shows up. Are you guys clairvoyant or something?
Fuzzyfireball: He's in such a blind nerd rage right now that arguing with him will only result in a vicious cycle of wasting your time.
I guess things such as maintenance are useless, since according to you, you can't foresee issues and have to let everything happen before taking measures against them.
Post edited April 21, 2013 by SPTX
Sure, this can go either way. But, sometimes, you can get into a situation when, in trying to prevent issues, you also prevent something positive from happening, because you didn't analyze things well enough. I've experienced this enough times that I learned to be careful about supporting anything or objecting to anything before it has even started.

Things like what GOG wants to do take time to be finished, I'm sure they still want to hear our opinions and will share their ideas with us as they're working on the site upgrades, so we could help them, so that, in the end, they could do everything the right way. Therefore, I'm willing to let them try. They do not seem like the kind of company that will half-heartedly try to please everyone and just keep things balanced, they're trying to make improvements. Well, and money, too, but it's natural.
Post edited April 21, 2013 by YnK
These results: faith in GOG users destroyed. :(
Dreadz: These results: faith in GOG users destroyed. :(
I have to agree. I cannot believe the results. Maybe it`s the way the questions were asked in the polls. Still would have thought that the mature and classy users (as I`d liked to think of us) are against DLC, always-online and Multiplayer above Singleplayer experience.
Dreadz: These results: faith in GOG users destroyed. :(
Stefro: I have to agree. I cannot believe the results. Maybe it`s the way the questions were asked in the polls. Still would have thought that the mature and classy users (as I`d liked to think of us) are against DLC, always-online and Multiplayer above Singleplayer experience.
There's nothing said about always online. They would never do that. As for DLC and MP, I tend to judge each on a case by case basis. Crazy, I know..
Stefro: Still would have thought that the mature and classy users (as I`d liked to think of us) are against DLC, always-online and Multiplayer above Singleplayer experience.
I voted yes for DLC, no for Always Online, and since I'm indifferent about multiplayer I said yes. What does that make me in terms of class and maturity?
JMich: I voted yes for DLC, no for Always Online, and since I'm indifferent about multiplayer I said yes. What does that make me in terms of class and maturity?
Exactly what I thought has happened here - neutral attitude, positive vote in case somebody else wants the feature. This is, unfortunately, the very reason why polls are unreliable, though I still don't think that overreaction is the best response. Everything can work out, if done right.
"Mature and classy" gamers understand the way business works. Don't like it? Don't buy it. If you feel like you're being made to "bend over", just don't do it. I also find the phrasing of the questions practical. "Want new stuff? We may have to offer this stuff so we have more bargaining chips with the developers and publishers." The choice "NO" was there the whole time. Nobody's forcing anyone to click "yes".

My personal line is DRM disguised in any form (yes, EA and ActiBlizz, I'm looking at your nonsense). Everyone else's line has been shown in the results, and I respect it.
YnK: Exactly what I thought has happened here - neutral attitude, positive vote in case somebody else wants the feature. This is, unfortunately, the very reason why polls are unreliable
This wouldn't be an issue with a neutral ("don't care") answer available. Some people would still vote yes/no even if they had no involvement in the question though.