It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Please take a survey and tell us what you think!

Last week, we launched the first ever DLC on GOG.com (for tactical-strategy game Omerta: City of Gangsters). The launch was a bit rushed on our end, and we did a bad job communicating what it was, and why we're adding it to the store. That was a screw-up on our part, and we're sorry. We've read all of your comments (and there were a lot!) and it's lead us to wonder about DLC and other new models of gaming that are happening right now. There's a survey at the bottom of this newspost, where we'd like to hear more about what you think GOG.com should do in the future, but don't jump down there just yet.

First, we wanted to explain the reasoning behind offering DLC for sale. It boils down to this: the number of newer games that have DLC keeps growing every year. As publishers and developers look at ways to remain profitable--look at how many big studios have gone bankrupt in the last 3 years if you think that's not a challenge--they're exploring new things like DLC, episodic content, and so on. GOG.com loves games, and we're committed to bringing the best games in history--classic or new--here to the site for you to enjoy. To sign some of these newer titles, however, we need to make a decision: do we sell DLC for these newer games, or do we not offer DLC and, increasingly, find that what we sell doesn't contain all of the content available for the game, content that hardcore fans of the game will probably enjoy?

We thought about it and decided that the best thing for us to do was to offer you the freedom to choose. We don't like telling you what to do with your games, whether it's how you want to back it up or how often you want to reinstall it, and it felt like refusing to sell DLC for new games was another instance where we were limiting your freedom. In our minds, if you don't like DLC, you're free to ignore it; if it represents a good value to price to you, then, you're free to buy it here--DRM-free, of course--from GOG.com.

For classic games, our goal always remains to bring you the definitive version of the game--with all expansion packs--at one price. Sometimes, for one reason or another, we don't get the expansion packs. At least, not right away (::coughcoughSidMeier'sAlienCrossfirecough::), but the goal remains that way and it won't change.

New games are different, though. Classic games aren't being actively developed, and they aren't being updated with new paid content, so it's easy to negotiate a single fixed price. For new games, that's not the case, and we can't promise a fixed price for all of the expanded content ever for a new game. We will try to get you all of the DLC that we can for free, but let's be realistic: developers release paid DLC because they want more money. Offering it for free is not always in the cards. Offering it for free 6 months, a year, or 18 months after the launch? That's more likely to be possible, and it's certainly something that we would love to be able to do for all of our games. We can't promise anything, but that's another goal for us.

So, as we mentioned above, we didn't do a very good job letting you guys know about this ahead of time, and as such your response was--unsurprisingly--pretty strong. To help determine what you want us to do in the future, we've prepared a short survey for you about DLC, episodic content, and other possible new areas of gaming that GOG.com might venture into offering you. Please take a moment and answer the survey, and leave us a comment below. We'll pick 10 winners who comment below and give them any game from the catalog--even Omerta and its DLC, if you like. :)

tl;dr version: We're sorry about how we communicated to you during DLC launch. We hope you'll give us feedback on what new things GOG.com might start selling in the future.

The survey is now closed. Thanks for your time and your insights, everyone. We'll take a close look at the outcome. This will surely help us in making GOG.com an even better service custom-tailored to its users tastes and expectations. Again, thanks for your opinions!

As promised, we'll pick 10 posts from the comment thread and give their authors a game of their choice. We'll PM you to ask you what would you like to get.
Post edited March 15, 2013 by G-Doc
kilios01: or you could just download the p2p program called frostwire and download a whole collection of them companies do not care about 20+year old games they make no $ off of anymore
MogicCap: You come to a place called Good Old Games, and whip out the antique Usenet argument of "20+year old games they make no $ off of anymore"? Look around you to see exactly how many companies and creators do care about making money off their properties. Look around you to see the people and the customers making such an argument redundant.
LucasArts catalog anyone?

I got them all now. Guess how I had to do that?
How about the original Blood Omen? Really want this one.

Of course, there is Take no Prisoners and Mageslayer, very good top down shooters, I don't know if GOG can get them here, but still...

There was too a cute, simple racing game that I really like when I was a kid, it was called Ignition. It was pretty fun back in the day.

Oh! And Abuse! The grandfather of all "mouse aiming + keyboard run and gun sidescrollers".
Mithorn: I would love to see that gog.com sells the rewamped version of Lords of Midnight for pc. Their website is here http://thelordsofmidnight.com/index2.html#ordering check it out maybe you can make a deal and sell it here.
Shaolin_sKunk: Yeah, like JMich said, it's already on its way.

Which is good because now that I'm aware of it I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival.
Sadly two weeks passed and still no sign of it :(
Mithorn: Sadly two weeks passed and still no sign of it :(
Tell me about it, I'm sure it's coming but it really sucks having your hopes dashed every Tuesday and Thursday.
I see the survey is closed...
What i think is a good for gog:
- game gets updated with new patches (official patches)
- a discount day (once a month or something)
I really wish gog would start making dosbox android versions of some of this stuff games like xcom work well on my nexus 7 though i had to get it from steam and figure out the dos box settngs. I think there would be a real market for android installs of old dos games
Probably in here already, but:

Fallout 3
Assassin's Creed 2
Grand Theft Auto Series (1-3 + Vice City)
Metal Gear Series (1-3)
Final Fantasy Series (1-10)
Mirror's Edge 1
Sega Collection
Nes Collection
Snes Collection
Neo Geo Collection
Anything previously exclusive from the PS1 and PS2
Just about any Anime game from the last 20 years

I'm sure most of these are probably a tough negotiation with developers though... fingers crossed.
What is the outcome of this? Are they still evaluating the input?
ohh I want Outlaws and Total War collection that would be nice
Psychomorph: What is the outcome of this? Are they still evaluating the input?
They released the results quite some time ago.
Thanks. I wasn't following this. Result is as expected actually.
I do not know why but I think these results are altered. at least 95% of the reviews I read I saw the opposite. if you read these comments, the ceo of gog.com almost done insulted and stoned , When talked about the possibility of dlcs. if you see the first DLC of Gog Review you can laugh, almost no one or no one bought it. but everyone left negative feedback.

The actual result was "WE DO NOT WANT GAMES INCOMPLETE" if they want to sell the "damn, stupid, and disgusting Dlc. Put on the market the GOTY, SUPER, MEGAEPIC-MAGNIFIC-POWERFUL-ULTRA EDITION, or whatever you want to call your editions with all included. That's why we want.

Many do not stop to think that we are users of Good "Old" Games, most of the members here are very patient, we waited years to buy a game, we can expect more complete versions with everything included. But they, want Sell ​​the dlcs separately at a higher price. you pay for patches, not for real expansion packs(Half-life oposing force, Brood War, Episodes from Liberty city, The fozen throne, Doom 3 Roe, Duke Caribbean Life's a Beach), they sell the most them on pieces (simple maps, Colour palletes, weapons, or skins, or any other mission new), simple things the fans Have Done for years and put free on the net (if you do not believe to me search maps for Quake 3 arena mods , skins, models. you will find million of them).

from there depends on the user, if the user is dumb and supports the expansion of this cancer, if you are iteligente you will end by annihilating this.

but well is your desision. I choose my way long time ago. "NO DLCs, Only Complete Games"

see ya
Post edited August 29, 2013 by sharp299
sharp299: snip
Sorry, but that is your opinion, not a fact.

1) Some people complained by leaving negative reviews on the DLC page. More people (and it is more) participated in the poll saying they want DLC. Because their opinion was given with a vote instead of a rant, people are not aware of it. So it's not a case of majority not wanting DLC, it's a case of a (very) vocal minority not wanting DLC.

2) Feel free to wait for the GOTY edition of whatever game you feel is incomplete. That is your prerogative, and something I'm also doing for quite a few games. But there are a few games that I (or someone else) decides (s)he wants to buy on Day 1, or even pre-order (XCOM:EU, I'm looking at you). I pre-ordered XCOM:EU (2 copies, 1 digital to play on day 1, 1 physical for the goodies) and I've sunk ~100 hours on it (and will probably play it a whole lot more). Should it appear on GOG, I will buy another copy as well. I bought Slingshot DLC on its first discount, but I will be grabbing XCOM:EW either on release day, or during Christmas. That is because I do enjoy that game, and I want more of it. Why should I wait 2-5 years before it goes on a GOTY edition before playing the game? I don't care if anyone else prefers to wait, but why will you force me to wait before getting more content for a game I enjoy?

3) I'll leave this here again. DLC in the form of map packs and additional cars have existed for more than 30 years.

So, feel free to call me dumb for not limiting what others may play. Feel free to call yourself intelligent for wanting to prevent others from playing games they like/love. I already "argued" with one Dr Cocteau in this thread, happy to do so again.
Bad questions, bad answers.

GOG was not nice with their poll:
Sure, everybody want to complete their game (with 'DLC') once they have spend money in base game.

But, at first, do somebody want to spend money for an uncomplete product?
There were not questions about buying uncomplete games which were sold as complete.
Post edited August 29, 2013 by ERISS
ERISS: Bad questions, bad answers.

GOG was not nice with their poll:
Sure, everybody want to complete their game (with 'DLC') once they have spend money in base game.

But, at first, do somebody want to spend money for an uncomplete product?
There were not questions about buying uncomplete games which were sold as complete.
?? do you mean selling alphas and betas? there were a question about it, no?

Edit - and I have no problem with it, as long as it is marked as so.
Post edited August 29, 2013 by amok