It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We (still) want to hear from you!

We recently asked you guys for feedback based on some potential games that we may be able to sign in the future. The results were pretty clear--and we will be sharing them with you all soon--but we did want to ask you a single follow-up question with an actual real-world game example. One of the games that we would like to add to our catalog is Planetary Annihilation. This is an RTS with many modern gaming features, and we figured we'd use it as our test example.

<iframe width="590" height="332" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xpze54xgqtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Planetary Annihilation is distinctive for the following:

- Multiplayer and skirmish focused gameplay; there is no story-based single-player campaign, but AI skirmish matches provide a great single player experience.
- Optional persistent online features such as scoreboards, social features, achievements, and the online multiplayer campaign - a persistent galaxy-wide war; an account with the developer's online service is required in order to use these features.
- No activation, unique codes, or third-party accounts are required for single-player play or, LAN/direct connection multiplayer.
- A unique key is required for Internet multiplayer, and an account with the developer's service is only required for the persistent online features.

Now, that you know about the game's specifics, here's our question:
Post edited April 15, 2013 by G-Doc
I said 'yes' to the survey, but I don't think I'll partake in the game if/when it releases here. Not a fan of games that have their entire focus on multiplayer with a tacked-on single player. Also, I understand the need for a 3rd party account in a pure multiplayer game, but I have to wonder if will need to ask in the future if a game from a different genre comes up with similar 'features'.
I have a feeling that lots of people don't get that the situation with this game isn't really different than in case of multiple other games on GOG already. Seriously, there is nothing outrageous about it and accepting this one to the catalogue does not at all suggest that things are gonna go "downhill".
Post edited April 15, 2013 by F4LL0UT
Kloreep: BTW, excellent edge case. I think this represents about the farthest I'd want to see GOG go in letting things through: a game that has a number of points that are essentially DRM, but only because of the dependencies of the game design, and that does at least seem to be making an effort to cut back those dependencies to the minimum.
Agreed here, this game is right on the edge of too far. The developers keep it on the 'right side of the line' but including DRM free methods of playing the game out of the box including multiplayer with friends that's not dependent on proprietary (read: could vanish destroying the game) severs. Without those options (such as DRM free LAN) this game wouldn't deserve a place on GOG, with them it makes it in 'just under the wire'.
F4LL0UT: I have a feeling that lots of people don't get that the situation with this game isn't really different than in case of multiple other games on GOG already.
Which other game on GOG requires a 3rd party account for online play?
Hey, you could share the results with us during your Spring conference. If you ever have a Spring conference.

(I voted "yes," but I wouldn't be personally interested in playing such a thing)

(When I hear about slippery slopes, it's usually in the context of how if America lets gay people marry, we'll be legalizing pedophilia next, so I am not terribly sympathetic to that line of thinking).
Post edited April 15, 2013 by BadDecissions
Kloreep: BTW, excellent edge case. I think this represents about the farthest I'd want to see GOG go in letting things through: a game that has a number of points that are essentially DRM, but only because of the dependencies of the game design, and that does at least seem to be making an effort to cut back those dependencies to the minimum.
You know, there used to be lots of games with online multiplayer that didn't require a serial. That many essential features are powered by a server doesn't mean that you must require a serial. They could just as well make this game fully DRM free by only making people pay for access to the client. It would be "riskier" than in case of singleplayer games as the additional players would cause more work for the servers but then again, it might as well attract many more people and thus additional legitimate buyers.

Edit: The more I think about it, would be awesome if GOG tried to talk developers into that kind of online multiplayer.

Wishbone: Which other game on GOG requires a 3rd party account for online play?
One that instantly comes to my mind is Two Worlds. Don't know how many other GOGs require an account but there's quite a few titles that check for a valid serial.

Edit:
Hey, I just saw a post of a GOG support girl here! Where did it go??? Sstefaniaaa! Where are youuu?!
Post edited April 15, 2013 by F4LL0UT
I answered yes. What matters to me is one thing: Suppose that the company closes, will I still be able to play the game with a friend of mine? Judging from what you have written, it seems to be that way.
F4LL0UT: I have a feeling that lots of people don't get that the situation with this game isn't really different than in case of multiple other games on GOG already.
Heroes of Might & Magic 3..? The ingame online options don't work anymore, or at least I've failed to get 'em to work in the last 5 or so years. Programs that make it work, including those virtual online LAN ones, require 3rd party accounts as far as I can tell. :p
TBH i have zero interest in modern games on GOG. there are plenty of places where i can get those. i come to GOG for classics you cannot buy elsewhere.

still, i welcome any and all additions to the GOG catalogue, DRM-free or not, multiplayer or not, serial number or not.
I said yes. Now, are you guys having a Spring conference or what!?
F4LL0UT: I have a feeling that lots of people don't get that the situation with this game isn't really different than in case of multiple other games on GOG already. Seriously, there is nothing outrageous about it and accepting this one to the catalogue does not at all suggest that things are gonna go "downhill".
And GoG lost a lot of my goodwill with those games.
As long as it's DRM-free and bs-free, it should be welcome in GOG...
Fred_DM: TBH i have zero interest in modern games on GOG. there are plenty of places where i can get those. i come to GOG for classics you cannot buy elsewhere.
But then there's people who have already gotten used to buying most of their games via GOG and welcome the fact that they don't have to use Steam or another distributor for certain new games. I'm certainly among them.

And I still say: nothing suggests that there's fewer classic releases because of new ones so there's at least no harm in adding those.
F4LL0UT: But then there's people who have already gotten used to buying most of their games via GOG and welcome the fact that they don't have to use Steam or another distributor for certain new games. I'm certainly among them.

And I still say: nothing suggests that there's fewer classic releases because of new ones so there's at least no harm in adding those.
+1
Post edited April 15, 2013 by user deleted
Adzeth: Heroes of Might & Magic 3..? The ingame online options don't work anymore, or at least I've failed to get 'em to work in the last 5 or so years. Programs that make it work, including those virtual online LAN ones, require 3rd party accounts as far as I can tell. :p
Let's see at the difference between heroes 3 and this one:

1. Heroes 3 has a single player campaign ( and a long one at that) and this game doesn't at all.

2. heroes 3 is a classic, this is another starcraft wanna be game which is going to a different digital service to sell their game because it can't compete with it's real competitor.

3. Needing a 3rd party program to play multiplayer, gameranger for example which I need for Baldur's gate with a friend, is an option to expand on a great single payer game. Saying again this game has no single player at all (Skirmishes are tutorials but just extended).

4. And last but not least the reason it got a fat no from me ant I will say no to every other game that GOG asks to put in the catalog with the same features as this one, I joined the GOG community because of the DRM-free games.

I don't care if it's a classic or not, Hey you guys got the indie category which was not only a great idea but the best way to get money to help on the classics catalog. But if a games has some kind of DRM, activation code, registered account, or online connection I'm already skeptical about it.

This game is not GOG, or at least the GOG I started with and loved for the time Ive been part of the community.