It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Vote: amok

There is something amok with this one...
***Information for new players mostly. So don't go gettin' all LAMIST on my sweet can.

First day lynch is usually random and odds on a townie. I have no issues with it being me.

Here's what to look for.

Reasons whyplayers are voting for me (or other said lynched player).

Position of said vote. #2, #3, etc...
flubbucket:
I have a question for you.

IF we were facing a mafia cult, with recruitment mecanics, how many would you expect the cultists to be, on day 1. What would you imagine their starting numbers to be, before the first recruitment.
flubbucket: ***Information for new players mostly. So don't go gettin' all LAMIST on my sweet can.

First day lynch is usually random and odds on a townie. I have no issues with it being me.

Here's what to look for.

I'll say it, I'm a bit of a n00b here. I get the look to why players are voting part. Enlighten me. What am I looking for in terms of vote position? Which votes do you consider most telling? Seems to me the last couple votes are usually just to get a done deal over with or is there more to that and are they suspect as well? I know it was said before with the mini pile onto 5foote to look at the pilers on. What are you looking for? Is there a sweet spot, say 2-5 that you are looking for people with reasons that are just a little off? How does this change on Day 1 vs. other days?
flubbucket: ***Information for new players mostly. So don't go gettin' all LAMIST on my sweet can.

Here's what to look for.

RWarehall: I'll say it, I'm a bit of a n00b here. I get the look to why players are voting part. Enlighten me. What am I looking for in terms of vote position? Which votes do you consider most telling? Seems to me the last couple votes are usually just to get a done deal over with or is there more to that and are they suspect as well? I know it was said before with the mini pile onto 5foote to look at the pilers on. What are you looking for? Is there a sweet spot, say 2-5 that you are looking for people with reasons that are just a little off? How does this change on Day 1 vs. other days?
Vote position is important in this. Mafia know who the townies are so they can't afford to start a vote on a townie per se. Now that being said, when a vote starts positions 3, 4, 5...are the ones (depending) are the ones deserving scrutiny. This doesn't mean they are always scum just keep looking for patterns.

Look for trains (pilers as you put it) that seem to start for reasons that are not common knowledge.

You seem to have a handle on things.

Noted.

flubbucket:
Telika: I have a question for you.

IF we were facing a mafia cult, with recruitment mecanics, how many would you expect the cultists to be, on day 1. What would you imagine their starting numbers to be, before the first recruitment.
I think I speculated earlier (post #139) one reason for a shortened day/night phase was a possibility of smaller starting scum team. I have absolutely no knowledge of this, just a wild guess.

And I do know there is a group of masons.

My issue is whether or not they will eventually be infiltrated.
What Flubb says about Mafia positioning on trains / wagons has merit, but I feel I must throw out a warning to you - EVERYTHING in Mafia has to be taken with a large dose of salt.

Take vote position. Flubb says 'Mafia know who the townies are so they can't afford to start a vote on a townie per se'

A clever Mafia player would know this, so do exactly that.

It's known as WIFOM (Wine In Front Of Me) - a reference to this film - all reasons can have a powerful counteracting reason.

If I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here just shout up....
cmdr_flashheart: But one thing- you suspect Flub of being either a cultist or killer, but you find those two thoughts contradictory?
See. What I would expect from a cultist is :

1) At the start of the game, being unsure whether the recruit mecanism is well known, and possibly assuming that everyone's PM makes the game's recruit mecanism as explicit as their own's.

2) When realising that it is not obvious, then try to play along with the idea of traditional killing mafia as long as possible (without sounding too scummy).

And for some reason, Flubbucket went from "I think the YOLO SWAG of the black smurfs has the power to possibly recruit from the races already inhabiting the planet yes??" (recruit mechanism in mind) to "Realistically though a 17 player game 25 to 33% of the base would be a 4 to 5 mafia team." (without a thought for the cult possibility, even though it would mean "a smaller starting scum team").

So this can very well be interpreted as a cultist realising that he can count on some ignorance of cultist presence, and going back to oooh-cultists-never-thought-of-that after a first (actually second) post that is explicit on this possibility.

BUT THEN, ON THE OTHER HAND,

What I would expect from a traditional killer is :

1) Trying to exploit the cult interpretation if it misleads townies into looking for less mafiosi and less spread infiltration, and into them being less able to analyse a player's history because of the assumption he may have been recruited mid-game.

2) Trying to ensure that such a misconception would last, and especially, would last beyond a first murder, even though (for balance issues) cultists generally aren't granted any killing power.

And there you have Flubbucket going "I'll bet there will be some killin' each night phase regardless".

SO,

I have two reasons to suspect Flubbucket, but one makes sense only if he's a cultist in a killer-less game, and the other only if he's a killer in a cultist-less game, and I don't think there can be a cultist+killer game. This is how my two causes for suspicion tend to cancel each others out...

Plus there is the nice recipe-for-bandwagon-reading, which comes a tad early in my opinion (shouldn't it be reminded/explained AFTER a bandwagon has grown, if it's supposed to be how-we-notice-scums ? is it supposed to help town beginners, or scum beginners ?).

All this makes the other player's unrelated reasons to suspect Flub quite interesting to me...
So no one read my post at all.

Thanks, lynch me and eat a bowl o' dicks.

Still town and BTW if I'm a distraction I need to be gotten rid of so the water can become unmuddied.
flubbucket: So no one read my post at all.

Still town and BTW if I'm a distraction I need to be gotten rid of so the water can become unmuddied.
I think you know something about this:

5. Once you’ve been lynched, you are dead. Unlike most mafia games however, that does NOT mean you stop taking part in the game. You will be PM'd with instructions once dead.
and want to get lynched. But if you are working for good (Hurray) or evil (Booooo) I am not sure yet.
Oh man... I'm feeling really lost here. Amok makes a good point there.

flubbucket: So no one read my post at all.

Which specific post? I skim read (a lot) in order to catch up, so I'm not sure exactly which one you mean.
SirPrimalform: Amok makes a good point there.
I do? It was completely coincidental, I assure you.
Still here, but gotta rush to work early today...not much to actually type out right now but this:

I don't see much of a net positive for discussing cult over mafia, we simply have no proof either way, and too much discussion sorta leads people's expectations. It's like trying to guess what the Mafia's roles consist of, there's a lot of speculation without a lot of net gain for the town. Too much speculation is bad.

As far as the voting position goes, I tend to look at the reason why people are voting since that tends to give a better indication. Reasons and cases are good <.< Ok, at least to me.
amok: I do? It was completely coincidental, I assure you.
Well I confess I hadn't noticed that death rule that you pointed out. It does throw Flub's actions in an interesting light.
amok:
Telika's explanation (post #157) was nice food for thought (thanks for it, Telika). But this is an interesting point here- what can someone hope to gain by infiltrating the dead?

It's easy to guess that the idea might be to use that avenue to get intel on other factions and who makes them up. I guess people should mentally prepare themselves for this right now- don't slip up even when you die; loose lips sink space ships.

HOWEVER, there's one obvious kink in that plan- when someone dies, their identity will be revealed. So, I don't think that non-scum dead would be so forthcoming with info in the presence of scum-dead.

That makes me think that getting lynched on purpose isn't to infiltrate the dead, but for some other reason. Maybe there's something about the format of this game which eludes someone, and they're experimenting to see what would happen?

Even for a Townie, it makes no sense to get lynched on purpose- if your identity is revealed as per Mafia game SOP, then the scum-dead will know who you were, and will act accordingly.

So in short, getting lynched on purpose makes no sense for either side.

If we are to consider the YOLO SWAG comment linked by Telika as a slip up, then that first slip up explains the rest of the posts up till now, a "going rogue" if you will because they left a rouge flag for experienced players to identify.

Other than that, I think it would be useful to hear from other people about what they think.
Being transmorg-reani-mutated from Ali was hard and lazying work. Would someone mind giving me a quick rundown of what I should be thinking about while we all debate each others fate?