It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So if I have this straight then...
We are expecting 4 or 5 bad guys because generally 25% of players are bad. 25% of 16 is 4 and we have one more than that so it could be 5 baddies.

Unless, I guess this is where its tricky, some sort of bad guy recruitment is allowed where we are probably looking for less from just one up to say 3.

Under the first situation, we are expecting the 4 or 5 to be split between the 4 races. They will probably be evenly split between all races. Meaning every race will have one bad guy and if a race has a 2nd bad guy, it will probably be the race that gets a 5th member.

Does that sound about right?
RWarehall: Does that sound about right?
Yes. And I think that if we have a cultist or two, they are more likely to be in the 5-group. I would be quite curious to know who are 5, and would tend to (wrongly?) focus my attention on them. But I cannot really assess the pros and cons of discussing such things.

On one hand, I think that we are all united against this evil. And that the factions may artificially divide us, making us think "as groups" instead as town-versus-mafia. But maybe there is a reason for that, a faction could have its own agenda. But yet again, the OP mentions only two possible winning conditions (in the for "if", "if"), and these winning conditions seem to only deal with the Evil Swayers. Also, there is the "your innocent races" line, which seems to imply that all our "races" are innocent, no matter how creepy some may sound.

On the other hand, there is the risk of informing the baddies of elements they could use, or be looking for, for some reason. If we discuss factions memberships, we give them infos that they may not have yet. This would not matter in they are 4 or 5 killers (as we suppose they'll get all this info during the night, but if they are only 1 or 2 cultists, they may keep ignoring these memberships for a while. And this may or may not hinder their efforts more than ours.

So, I am a bit on the fence there. As all other games, this will be a race for informations and the understanding of the setting, but it is hard to tell for whom this element will be most important. This may be worth discussing (and the discussion itself might turn out interesting in hindsight) :

- Should we try to look at the 5-members team, or should we ignore this factor and avoid any hint at anyone's species membership during this day ?

And for whever didn't answer, my earlier question still holds :

- In your opinion, are we are facing killers or cultists ?
The use of words such as "swayed" does lend credibility to the cult concept. The word implies the ability to change allegiances . I guess I'm having trouble imagining how that works in the metagame sense. How does a cultist game actually work? How does one stop everyone from joining team evil and winning or conversely, how can that recruiting even work? Wouldn't it be really easy for someone to out the cultist after being recruited? While someone could be lying about being recruited, they would surely die next after the false target. Are there links somewhere for how such varients work?
Telika: .............<snip>...........

- In your opinion, are we are facing killers or cultists ?
Not being pedantic, but I'll bet there will be some killin' each night phase regardless. I do want to throw my yes opinion in the cultists pile.

RWarehall's post brings me to the belief the relatively short day/night phases could mean a smaller starting scum team. Perhaps they will need time to recruit?? ...the game can't last a calendar year!!

I also want to point out the previous mention of potential masons by cmdr_flashdance and the private chats in post#71 echoed by CSPVGEIEIO in post #77. Reason being this points to evidence of already ongoing conversation IMHO. Or in the very least, a link.

***Post #94 most intriguing because Darkie points out -------> "... will learn what race everyone is (probably) during night 1." That's seems like powerful information right there.
Just so people know, if a replacement is not found for alisarabi tomorrow (or possibly the day after) she will be removed from the game entirely. (Not killed, just removed, as if she never existed.)
flubbucket: ***Post #94 most intriguing because Darkie points out -------> "... will learn what race everyone is (probably) during night 1." That's seems like powerful information right there.
The "probably" refers to 2 assumptions I'm making. All races are already infiltrated and all races have faction chat for the night phase, regardless of flavor.
The fact that you consider the second assumption suspicious makes me think that that's not the case.
I don't think there is cult in this game. I mean, it can be, but I am not sure cult would work and find mafia more likely. There is no indication of it yet, so until something appears, I am going to consider "standard" mafia team.
It see it all just like flavour to me. It says some of us were already swayed and we must stop them, so they are our scum team now, doesn't mean they can recruit more.
And it can spread across all our people if we don't stop it, to me that just means that galaxy is at stakes and we can save it by killing evil here. I don't see it as cult thing.

What I certainly wouldn't do would be to turn my attention to 5-players group (if there is any) that sounds awfuly arbitrary.
5 scum points for Telika.

And I am not going to discuss faction membership right now, when baddies should have no clue about it yet.

flubbucket: ***Post #94 most intriguing because Darkie points out -------> "... will learn what race everyone is (probably) during night 1." That's seems like powerful information right there.
Looking at his post it is quite clear how he meant it but I'll let Darko expalin himself.

Whoever will be able to tell why I choose my new country of residence will get 20 minutes lynch immunity.
Unvote SirPrimalform
Vote flubbucket
Reading my post again, as well as the OP, I don't understand what it was exactly about my statement that was so powerful. Or why you're surprised by what cmdr and CPVGRGB are saying.
"This is an interesting variation of mafia. At different times (specified in your PMs) you may speak amongst your separate races. Be forewarned, however, that there is no guarantee that your fellow race members are of like mind as you, so speak guardedly. "
Unless you're focusing on different factions communicating at different times? I really can't tell where you were going with it.
RWarehall: The use of words such as "swayed" does lend credibility to the cult concept. The word implies the ability to change allegiances . I guess I'm having trouble imagining how that works in the metagame sense. How does a cultist game actually work? How does one stop everyone from joining team evil and winning or conversely, how can that recruiting even work? Wouldn't it be really easy for someone to out the cultist after being recruited? While someone could be lying about being recruited, they would surely die next after the false target. Are there links somewhere for how such varients work?
A recruited player sees his winning conditions change (from town's condition to mafia' condition). He wouldn't betray the cultists because if the mafia loses and the town wins, he loses.

The best database on mafia roles is unfortunately hosted on the worst shittiest least reliable servers ever, but maybe, some day, these pages will be accessible again, as they were two or three days ago :

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Cult
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Cult_Leader
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Cultist

flubbucket: Not being pedantic, but I'll bet there will be some killin' each night phase regardless. I do want to throw my yes opinion in the cultists pile.
Cults are already extremely powerful and hard to balance. I don't think they would have an additional kill ability, at it would make them too overpowered. If we get murders, I'll imagine the mafia to not have recruiting abilities.
Another scream was heard in the chamber. Everyone turned to see alisarabi fall to the ground. "Copycat," someone muttered, and they all turned back to their conversations. In a few moments Ixamyakxim rose from ground and joined in the discussion.

alisarabi has been replaced by Ixamyakxim. Play continues as normal
Post edited May 22, 2014 by A_Future_Pilot
Reading over the OP, I agree with Vitek that it sounds to me like the scum do not have the ability to recruit in-game, the "swaying" is just for flavour. But it's not 100% clear.

If the scum are evenly/randomly distributed among the races, I don't see the harm in revealing our race, as it will provide no useful information to the scum? And if the distribution of scum is non-random, then it would be to the scum's advantage to keep their race hidden? Or am I thinking wrong?
Okay, I am of two minds now. Vitek makes good points, but that's all hinging on whether you take what's written in the OP at face value, or as fluff.

But I think I said this before- it doesn't matter how or why the baddies want to kill or whatever us, the fact is that they do.

So as far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter whether this is a standard or cult Mafia game, we can proceed with business as usual.

That said, I want to vote for Monsieur Bucket of Flub- he has done some shady stuff, including being the first person to take the 5foote/Vitek votes seriously.
flubbucket:
Then, he was the first to say something about there being 5 scum, which got him into a tussle with amok
amok:
Then, he wants to talk about stuff that seems like a diversion
flubbucket:
Then, he says that we shouldn't bother with the intrigue when he was the one planting seeds for it
flubbucket:
Then, he tries to "twist" what Darko was saying,
flubbucket:
So yeah, at this point, I am pretty set on Flub as a solid, scum vote. I am ready for any repercussions in case he's not, though.
cmdr_flashheart: But I think I said this before- it doesn't matter how or why the baddies want to kill or whatever us, the fact is that they do. So as far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter whether this is a standard or cult Mafia game, we can proceed with business as usual.
It makes a few differences though. Killers would be more numerous than cultists at the beginning (related to the question of which group they have or haven't infiltrated), night events (or lack of visible events) would be interpreted differently, players history would or wouldn't be read with possible affiliation switching, and the voting force of the baddies would be different, which would make different tipping points.

That being said, I also have some early suspicions about Flub, but a bit contradictory (one is "aha that is exactly what a cultist would say" and the other "aha that is exactly what a killer would say"). So, no vote yet...
cmdr_flashheart: But I think I said this before- it doesn't matter how or why the baddies want to kill or whatever us, the fact is that they do. So as far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter whether this is a standard or cult Mafia game, we can proceed with business as usual.
Telika: It makes a few differences though. Killers would be more numerous than cultists at the beginning (related to the question of which group they have or haven't infiltrated), night events (or lack of visible events) would be interpreted differently, players history would or wouldn't be read with possible affiliation switching, and the voting force of the baddies would be different, which would make different tipping points.

That being said, I also have some early suspicions about Flub, but a bit contradictory (one is "aha that is exactly what a cultist would say" and the other "aha that is exactly what a killer would say"). So, no vote yet...
Good points, I am not an experienced player so I had no idea. But one thing- you suspect Flub of being either a cultist or killer, but you find those two thoughts contradictory? Is there some way to convert cultists? Like if you kill the main guy, they all go back to normal.
cmdr_flashheart: Okay, I am of two minds now. Vitek makes good points, but that's all hinging on whether you take what's written in the OP at face value, or as fluff.

But I think I said this before- it doesn't matter how or why the baddies want to kill or whatever us, the fact is that they do.

So as far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter whether this is a standard or cult Mafia game, we can proceed with business as usual.

That said, I want to vote for Monsieur Bucket of Flub- he has done some shady stuff, including being the first person to take the 5foote/Vitek votes seriously.
flubbucket:
cmdr_flashheart: Then, he was the first to say something about there being 5 scum, which got him into a tussle with amok
amok:
cmdr_flashheart: Then, he wants to talk about stuff that seems like a diversion
flubbucket:
cmdr_flashheart: Then, he says that we shouldn't bother with the intrigue when he was the one planting seeds for it
flubbucket:
cmdr_flashheart: Then, he tries to "twist" what Darko was saying,
flubbucket:
cmdr_flashheart: So yeah, at this point, I am pretty set on Flub as a solid, scum vote. I am ready for any repercussions in case he's not, though.
I agree with this.... but something feels wrong. I am not ready to vote flubb yet... I don't know... it just feels too obvious?