It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

there's no crime in using a crack like GOG did, crackers have doomed PC games market and frankly I think they're just a bunch of arseholes, they really shouldn't speak about the use of their crack in the only legit way it can be used
Post edited March 26, 2010 by Eclipse
lowyhong: Thanks for being forthright about it. Does this mean that both the hacker groups and publishers approve of this?
Namur: I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not ;)

That's fine. Sometimes I don't understand myself either.
*pause*
Who am I and how did I end up here?
lowyhong: Who am I and how did I end up here?

eh, eh, i feel like that most of the time.
Namur: eh, eh, i feel like that most of the time.

^5 brah.
lowyhong: Thanks for being forthright about it. Does this mean that both the hacker groups and publishers approve of this?
cogadh: Why would you even ask if the hacker groups approve? They are not "relevant rights owners"; they do not own any rights to what they did, only Activision does. As long as Acti approved, that's all that matters, legally or morally.

Legally, yes. Morally, or ethically? A little more murky.
For example, if GOG was to bundle a game with a fan-made patch, without crediting the fans, and instead trumpeting their 'handsome programming team' (to quote the website!) that would be a little morally dubious, in my opinion, even if legally it was no problem. Now, the GOG team don't make any claims on their website that it is they themselves that remove the DRM, so maybe that covers them.
Now, this makes literally no difference to why I buy the game, or for my support for GOG, or whatever .... However, I think it's worth pointing out that there may be some people who want to buy from GOG to reward them for their hard work in making these games run on modern machines. Those people may occasionally donate to DosBox too ( http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=52551 ). In this case, they can now make a similar choice with regard to the warez "community" that has made playing Arcanum possible through a service like GOG. Or they may decide that the unauthorized cracking of the game represents a rights violation and thus is worthy of no support, or whatever other decision they may decide to come to. It's up to them really, with all the requisite information they have available. I'm pleased that GOG have made a clarification here, and although I'm a little disappointed by what it suggests, it certainly doesn't make me any less likely to keep supporting an excellent service that suits my needs (for legally authorised copies of older games that will run on my netbook) perfectly.
Post edited March 26, 2010 by dougaiton
dougaiton: if GOG was to bundle a game with a fan-made patch, without crediting the fans, and instead trumpeting their 'handsome programming team' (to quote the website!) that would be a little morally dubious, in my opinion, even if legally it was no problem.

This has never happened and I assume never will happen. A mod or unofficial patch would have to credit the mod/patch creator. This is not what we are talking about here. This is a cracking group that have altered an exe file to circumvent the DRM, Activision certainly don't have to credit anyone for that.
dougaiton: I think it's worth pointing out that there may be some people who want to buy from GOG to reward them for their hard work in making these games run on modern machines.

It's also a lot of hard work getting publishers like Activision to release these classic games DRM free. Actually removing the DRM is a very small part of the work GOG do on these titles. Finding the extras, securing publisher deals and getting Win95 games to work on Vista now thats the really hard work.
Post edited March 26, 2010 by Delixe
I know it's never happened. However, many mods/patches (Killap's F2 Restoration patch, say) muck around with the exe files and almost all mods/patches edit proprietary content. The difference is we'd broadly describe one as a nice thing to do, and the other as a nasty thing to do. However, they both require work - actual man/woman hours spent bashing away at the exe. I'm not sure why you think a mod would have to be credited, but a crack wouldn't: there is no need legally to credit either.
dougaiton: I think it's worth pointing out that there may be some people who want to buy from GOG to reward them for their hard work in making these games run on modern machines.
Delixe: It's also a lot of hard work getting publishers like Activision to release these classic games DRM free. Actually removing the DRM is a very small part of the work GOG do on these titles. Finding the extras, securing publisher deals and getting Win95 games to work on Vista now thats the really hard work.

Sure! It's tons of hard work - but that isn't really my point.
My point is that GOG couldn't function at its wonderfully low price point without Dosbox, so people that love GOG and dosbox games may feel the need to contribute to the Dosbox as well.
Post edited March 26, 2010 by dougaiton
dougaiton: I know it's never happened. However, many mods/patches (Killap's F2 Restoration patch, say) muck around with the exe files and almost all mods/patches edit proprietary content. The difference is we'd broadly describe one as a nice thing to do, and the other as a nasty thing to do. However, they both require work - actual man/woman hours spent bashing away at the exe. I'm not sure why you think a mod would have to be credited, but a crack wouldn't: there is no need legally to credit either.[

Because companies DO credit mods. Just look at Bioware and Bethesda neither see a mod and take it for their own. Bioware also promote community mods on their own site. Fanpatches my alter the exe but Mods certainly don't. Just look in any forum dedicate to any game and you will find listings for mods but GOG takes no credit for them.
dougaiton: Sure! It's tons of hard work - but that isn't really my point.
My point is that GOG couldn't function at its wonderfully low price point without Dosbox, so people that love GOG and dosbox games may feel the need to contribute to the Dosbox as well.

And DOSBox is duly credited by GOG. They even put up an interview with the DOSBox team. What's your point?
Also what has DOSBox got to do with games that are Win95 or use SCUMMVM?
Post edited March 26, 2010 by Delixe
Protoss: Because they don't give attribution to the crackers. Might be an authorship infringement by the publishers but I surely don't know about the paranoid U.S. law. They just should keep their ACTA at home if they need it at all.

rotfl what? the publisher of the game needs to give credits to the game pirates?
the cracked exe is still a game exe. And the crack itself exists only for the purpose to modify the original one. Have the pirates ever credited the development team of the game that provided them the original exe?
Post edited March 26, 2010 by Eclipse
dougaiton: I know it's never happened. However, many mods/patches (Killap's F2 Restoration patch, say) muck around with the exe files and almost all mods/patches edit proprietary content. The difference is we'd broadly describe one as a nice thing to do, and the other as a nasty thing to do. However, they both require work - actual man/woman hours spent bashing away at the exe. I'm not sure why you think a mod would have to be credited, but a crack wouldn't: there is no need legally to credit either.[
Delixe: Because companies DO credit mods. Just look at Bioware and Bethesda neither see a mod and take it for their own. Bioware also promote community mods on their own site. Fanpatches my alter the exe but Mods certainly don't. Just look in any forum dedicate to any game and you will find listings for mods but GOG takes no credit for them.

Again, I agree entirely, but that isn't my point. My point is simply this:
1) many mods make games easier to play by editing the exe. If (if!!!) GOG packages a game with one, I'd expect to see a credit
2) many cracks make games easier to run by editing the exe. If (when!) GOG packages a game with a crack, I wouldn't expect to see a credit
I hold a double standard here, and I accept that. But I do accept that it's a double standard!
dougaiton: I know it's never happened. However, many mods/patches (Killap's F2 Restoration patch, say) muck around with the exe files and almost all mods/patches edit proprietary content. The difference is we'd broadly describe one as a nice thing to do, and the other as a nasty thing to do. However, they both require work - actual man/woman hours spent bashing away at the exe. I'm not sure why you think a mod would have to be credited, but a crack wouldn't: there is no need legally to credit either.

However, in most cases, fan patches or mods are completely legal and have no moral or ethical ambiguities attached to them, unlike cracks. In the extremely unlikely event that GOG title were to include a fan patch in a game, it would first be with the publisher's (or other rights holder) permission and I'm sure they would provide credit where credit is due. However, this is all completely hypothetical and I really doubt they would ever include a fan patch. At most, they might post something n the game's forum about the fan patch, as they have done in the past with other games and mods for them.
Delixe: And DOSBox is duly credited by GOG. They even put up an interview with the DOSBox team. What's your point?
Also what has DOSBox got to do with games that are Win95 or use SCUMMVM?

Sorry mate, but you seem to be wilfully misunderstanding me.
1) - Dosbox is an example of a programme that helps GOG do the great work they do. I can contribute to them by donating if I wish.
2) Crackers are an example of people that help GOG do the great work they do. I cannot contribute to them because they are illegal and because GOG does not publish their links with them.
Again, I love GOG. I just think all this 'down with crackers!' stuff is a little bit odd, that's all.
dougaiton: Sorry mate, but you seem to be wilfully misunderstanding me.
1) - Dosbox is an example of a programme that helps GOG do the great work they do. I can contribute to them by donating if I wish.
2) Crackers are an example of people that help GOG do the great work they do. I cannot contribute to them because they are illegal and because GOG does not publish their links with them.
Again, I love GOG. I just think all this 'down with crackers!' stuff is a little bit odd, that's all.

I understand you fine I just don't agree. DOSBox GOG admits has been vital and again they are credited. There has been ONE confirmed exe that may or may not have been altered by crackers. How exactly is that helping GOG?
lowyhong: ^5 brah.

^5
dudes, it's clear like the sun that GOG possibly never had the source code of a single game they sold. I knew it from the start and seems perfectly reasonable to me.
I want all the games I love to be downloadable from everywhere at any time at a good speed, without worrying about cracking them or installing a series of patches, or getting the risk to take a virus from a modified crack or torrent, I'd pay 5 or 9.99$ only for that.
What's the difference about using an already made crack or cracking the game on their own?
The result is the same.
Also keep in mind that most of the times publishers doesn't have source codes, I'm a game programmer and we never sent source codes to any publisher. So the only way to actually remove a cd check from an old game without having the source is cracking it, using an hex editor, writing a crack or using an already made crack: guess what the faster way is.
I'm actually glad that at least cracks can be useful for developers and publishers from time to time, it's a very little payoff it you think the damage they did to PC games developers