It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

monkeydelarge: Remember when Gamersgate had a web show? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RL4dci_-xU

I feel really sorry for those two...obviously they didn't volunteer to be in that web show...
Sachys: You mean like TET and G-Doc in the (still unfinished) Brithday rap competition?

Expect this comment to vanish - last four on the subject did! O____o
Birthday rap competition?
Sachys: You mean like TET and G-Doc in the (still unfinished) Brithday rap competition?

Expect this comment to vanish - last four on the subject did! O____o
monkeydelarge: Birthday rap competition?
yarp!
Cyraxpt: Yeah, just checked my GG account and M&B Warband now has a Steam key.
Steam keys can be used with the regular Warband installer. If your key is a four-block key you can use it right away; if it's a five-block key you'll need to first activate it on Steam to turn it into a four-block key (the new key will be listed under the CD Key link on the game's page in the Steam client after activation). You don't need to actually download the game through Steam to get the new key.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by Arkose
Doesn't seem to be affecting me, the games I have that are on steam and have a download still seems to have both options available on GamersGate.

Hopefully it doesn't change.

I don't buy too many DRM free games from GamersGate anyway so not a great deal for me.
ChrisSD: Whenever I hear about GamersGate it's almost always someone saying "WTF GG?".
k1bell: GG wasn't bad at first. Then they went full Steam ahead...
it was paradox shop wasn't it...
How the hell can this be legal? If GamersGate sold the games as DRM-free, and many people bought the games because they were DRM-free, and now they are suddenly not DRM-free, that is a very screwed up bait and switch.
DreamedArtist: FFS MY UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 IS A STEAM KEY NOW.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! >:( Time to ebay the dvd drm free copy now ugh >:(
There is no DRM free UT3.
It always had online activation, just not vie Steam but over a service that is shut down by now.

Yeah, I can't get my retail copy to install without cracking anymore, great stuff.
I would never have bought it in the first place if there would have been any indication about DRM in it on Amazon (normally you can find it in the comments).
Post edited September 05, 2014 by Klumpen0815
I don't even mind Steam keys, but this is still a quite weird and shady move. And GOG seems to be able to keep the status of already bought copies the same, even if something changes about the game.

Anyway, I have hardly used Gamersgate at all during the last year or so. But maybe that's mainly because I don't really buy new games and have most of the older games I want from them already...
etna87: I don't even mind Steam keys, but this is still a quite weird and shady move. And GOG seems to be able to keep the status of already bought copies the same, even if something changes about the game.
Either GoG simply has better contracts, or GamersGate wants to save the bandwidth.
In both cases GamersGate is a bad gate for gamers.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by Klumpen0815
Rodor: Just now I logged in my Gamersgate account to download some games (which are either not present yet on GOG or I just haven't bought them here yet), like Space Empires 5 and AIWar Collection - and what do I see? The 'download" link is disappeared and the "Steam-key" button appeared. For Space Empires? Don't make me laugh, Steam-sh*tasses! Is it "just for convenience to download fresh patches" or what? Are you complete idiots? Where are my DRM-free copies which I had bought? I didn't buy Steam-keys! Where are them?
Is it normal to treat customers like that?
It's actually not a new thing. It started couple years ago when they changed King Arthur Collection and Supreme Commander into steam games. Well with King Arthur Collection it's bit different as I have two entries for the game, one for DRM-free and one for Steam version. However the DRM-free version did not get update past 1.6 version (iirc) as developer went steam only.

Worse thing about Supreme Commander is I never downloaded it so I have no backups unlike with King Arthur Collection that I had downloaded, backed up and installed.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by Petrell
Petrell: It's actually not a new thing. It started couple years ago when they changed King Arthur Collection and Supreme Commander into steam games. Well with King Arthur Collection it's bit different as I have two entries for the game, one for DRM-free and one for Steam version. However the DRM-free version did not get update past 1.6 version (iirc) as developer went steam only.

Worse thing about Supreme Commander is I never downloaded it so I have no backups unlike with King Arthur Collection that I had downloaded, backed up and installed.
Supreme Commander Gold is my long time target... But No-Steam only. Alas... :(
Post edited September 05, 2014 by Rodor
I don't mind getting a Steam key, but turning a game that was previously DRM-free into a Steam key is pretty fucked up. They should at least keep the DRM-free downloader AND offer a Steam key when the developers themselves stop supporting the DRM-free versions with patches (like some Paradox games).
The publishers should have made the already-purchased games DRM-free, that would have been the respectful thing to do because it was marketed and sold as a DRM-free game, not only as a Steam game.

I'm not sure if this would've been legal had it been some other commodity, that the publisher can recall the product and change the conditions for the purchase, after it has already been purchased. It feels rotten to me.

Personally, I only buy Steam games from GG after discovering that their "DRM-free" games aren't 100% DRM-free.

When I buy a Steam game from them I usually get some kind of bonus, like a manual to the game, which I don't get had I bought it from Steam.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by R8V9F5A2
Neobr10: I don't mind getting a Steam key, but turning a game that was previously DRM-free into a Steam key is pretty fucked up. They should at least keep the DRM-free downloader AND offer a Steam key when the developers themselves stop supporting the DRM-free versions with patches (like some Paradox games).
Or from downloadable version to Steam version in general.
lukaszthegreat: it was paradox shop wasn't it...
It was until 2008. Then Paradox decided to separate it into its own company.