It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

more mac, More Mac, MOAR MAC!!!

That's right. We've added an actual bucket full of Mac games to our catalog today. No, really, we got a bucket, filled it, and then made all of those games Mac compatible. Man, the way we do business can be odd sometimes. As usual, if you got the Windows version of one of these games previously, you'll be granted the Mac OS X version without any additional payment. Check the complete list of our Mac/Win dual-system games here.

The new huge batch of games includes acclaimed titles old and new. Here's a little preview just to show off some of them.

<iframe width="590" height="332" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TuDIy4ILdzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's the full list of new additions:

Lords of the Realm 3
Septerra Core
Still Life 1
Expendable
Fallout Tactics
Mob Rule
Trine
Jagged Alliance 2
Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business
Jack Keane
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Costume Quest
Enclave
Smugglers V
World of Aden: Thunderscape
Stacking
Nancy Drew Curse of the Blackmoor Manor
Rogue Trooper
Legend of Kyrandia
Legends of Kyrandia Hand of Fate
Legends of Kyrandia Malcolm's Revenge
Shadowman
Haegemonia Gold
Iron Storm
Atlantis 2
Divine Divinity
Wizardry 6+7
Wizardry 8
Runaway: A Road Adventure
Runaway: Dream of the Turtle
11th Hour
Beyond Divinity
Realms of Arkania 3
Strike Suit Zero
Original War

EDIT:
Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we needed to remove Daedalic Entertainment's The Whispered World from our Mac OS X lineup. We will offer a refund to anyone who bought the game between November 15 and November 20 2013, if they purchased the game based on Mac compatibility, and would like to get their money back. We're terribly sorry for this inconvenient situation!
sauvignon1: Too bad Arcanum isn't on the list. Bought it when I still used Windows but never played it much, now I can't play it at all.
easy solution: http://wordpress.paulthetall.com/arcanum-mac/
sauvignon1: Too bad Arcanum isn't on the list. Bought it when I still used Windows but never played it much, now I can't play it at all.
You can relax! Arcanum works fine in Wineskin; better than fine in fact, if you add on mods like the widescreen mod and the major unofficial bugfix that's improved the game. You do have to do some minor registry flag tweaking (as described here: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&amp;iId=22375) but otherwise, all you have to do is fire up Wineskin, install it, make the necessary changes (which is easy in Wineskin's implementation of Winetricks) and you're good to go!
Petrell: If 90% or more of the Linux users used version of Ubundu, things probably would be fine but they don't, do they?
If Canonical had 90% of the Linux user base, I'd switch back to Windows.

If I'm going to be in a pit of despair and anguish, I might as well get to play GOGs while I'm there.
dirtyharry50: Wing Commander games are awesome. Glad you are enjoying it. I got those too so I can relive the glory days and play them again.
Right now, the real thorn in my side (apart from Descent 3, which still continues to make me weep inside) is WC4, which is right up there with Civ II, X-Wing/TiE Fighter, and WarCraft II as one of the defining games of the halcyon days of my youth. Ah, the memories. I'll never forget the rush I felt when I defeated Seether near the end.

Sadly, the Windows version sold by GOG doesn't work in WINE; there seems to be an issue with the codec used in the game that I believe was put in for the DVD-quality movies. Remembering it makes me want to bring out the Performa 6320/120 CD and my 6-CD set of the game to have another go. Pity, my ADB CH Flightstick Pro got thrown out...

Melhelix: HoMM III works just dandy in Wine, especially on Mac OS 10.5.8, getting it to run on Mac OS 10.7.5+ takes a bit of finagling, but it is possible. There is one weird problem with it, there's a broken sound file somewhere, and it occasionally crashes if it encounters it. The easiest fix is to simply turn the sound off. There's another way to fix it but I cannot recall it off the top of my head, I'd have to hunt down my notes on it...
That's interesting to hear, given that for a while, HoMM III had been my Gold standard testing game for a new version of Wine or CrossOver that's come out.

HiPhish: Apple is known for cutting off lose ends, so even when you have a game written for OS X on intel processors there is no guarantee it will run properly on the next version of OS X. (BTW, Rosetta, the PowerPC emulator, has been dropped with Lion, not Tiger)
In Apple's defense, there's a reason why they've been cutting off loose ends. Carbon and PPC were both technological dead ends, as were 32-bit CPUs. In terms of game compatibility, I don't see that being that much of a problem as long as developers have been using the right APIs in the right ways. Many of my games from the 10.6/10.7 era work fine in Mountain Lion and Mavericks; heck, even Halo works (albeit with a minor patch).
Melhelix: HoMM III works just dandy in Wine, especially on Mac OS 10.5.8, getting it to run on Mac OS 10.7.5+ takes a bit of finagling, but it is possible. There is one weird problem with it, there's a broken sound file somewhere, and it occasionally crashes if it encounters it. The easiest fix is to simply turn the sound off. There's another way to fix it but I cannot recall it off the top of my head, I'd have to hunt down my notes on it...
rampancy: That's interesting to hear, given that for a while, HoMM III had been my Gold standard testing game for a new version of Wine or CrossOver that's come out.
It's entirely possible that I was simply doing something wrong. It was one of my first successful attempts at using Wine about a year ago so it's likely I botched something silly. Now that I think about it, I really should try again and see if I can make it run without issues. I've had a lot of practice since then. :)
Bought four more games here for OSX in the last few days: maybe the reason GoG has had 1.1 million Mac downloads in a relatively short period and yet Mac users aren't all over the forums in a vocal way is that we're all too busy having fun playing our new (old) games...?

Also, using this topic as an example, the signal-to-noise ratio of thread hijacking seems to make an ongoing conversation about Mac games, even in a specifically Mac gaming thread, somewhat difficult.
Post edited November 18, 2013 by ACivilOldMadman
ACivilOldMadman: GoG has had 1.1 million Mac downloads
really? that much!
nice, GOG!
keem bringing 'em
xyem: This is what I mean by your reasons for not supporting Linux also apply to other OSes.

This reason actually boils down to "We chose to support Mac first and don't have the knowledge or manpower to extend to Linux too, we are unable to support it".
TheEnigmaticT: That's more or less exactly what I've been saying, yes.

Look: you can't deny that Mac is a larger market share than Linux, right? And we made the decision to move to Mac because it would make good business sense. Now, since Linux is not as big a market share as Mac, until we get better at how we work at testing and build mastering, we cannot move to Linux and not lose money in the process. You can argue that we could just toss a tarball up on our website and let you figure out the details yourself and I have reiterated many times that is not an acceptable solution for us because it does not fit into our philosophy of business.

This isn't ridiculous. It's the truth. I don't see why this continues to be a bone of contention.

EDIT: And dirtyharry50's right. We're waaaaaay afield of topic here. So may I suggest, if you want to continue this, look me up on IRC (where I see you often enough) or via PM.
I asked myself why not just offer the linux versions with all the other bonus stuff. GOG did already the same with some other games, as example the windows version of Heroes of Might and Magic 3. It's not officially supported, but who wants to give it a try download the files. You just need to state clearly on the gamepage that GOG doesn't officially support these linux files and GOG didn't checked these files nor can take any responsible for them. It's up to the users to take care what they do.

Edit: Btw, I'm not a linux user, which means personally I'm fine with windows and mac installers, but I can totally understand when the linux-folks at last to ask get the same stuff like other services offer. I also totally understand you can't test and offer the linux versions like the mac and windows stuff, but also keep in mind that especially the linux folks are more get used to handle their stuff in a unothodox and maybe not easy-going way like most windows or mac users ;-)
Post edited November 18, 2013 by DukeNukemForever
elus89: Yeah, with the mostly cumulative growth of Wine, playing Windows games on a Mac or Linux run machine in the the future seems a safer bet than playing current Mac games on a future OS or even Windows games on a future Windows OS.
This is a good point and I'm much less worried about anything that works with Wine or Boxer. It seems reasonable to believe they will adapt to changes as time goes by whereas native releases may be more prone to issues.

Melhelix: Of the huge bucketful of games made now Mac accessible I think I am most excited for Enclave and Divine Divinity. I've never even heard of Enclave before and it looks like tons of fun. I played Divine Divinity over at a friend's house back in the day, but never got around to giving it the ol' wrapper treatment so I am very happy that the GOG team beat me to it. I'll gladly drop a buck fifty for those awesome memories.
I was happy to see those two in particular as well. I bought Enclave a little while back after reading up on it. It's awesome that I don't have to bother with setting it up, same thing with Divine Divinity. I guess some people didn't like it as much but I want to try Beyond Divinity too. After reading about differences in a Gamespot review it still sounds like it would be fun to me.

HiPhish: Personally I never buy pure Mac games. If I get both the Mac- and Windows version together that's great, but if not I always go with the Windows version, just because I know I will have a better chance of getting it to run a few years down the road. Of course this is a chicken-and-egg problem: If people don't buy Mac games then Mac games will be second rate, and if they are second rate, people will not buy them.
Yeah, I am a big fan of getting both Mac and Windows versions just in case even though I really only want Mac games and that is all I buy anymore. I like Steamplay for this and GOG is nice about this as well. I would still buy something Windows only if it was reported to run well with Wine and of course for the old MS-DOS games Boxer never seems to fail.
Post edited November 18, 2013 by dirtyharry50
little hardware survey:
what are your mac specs, goggers?
vicklemos: little hardware survey:
what are your mac specs, goggers?
You won't be impressed as I'm still using a 2008 Macbook Pro. 15" matte screen, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT, 200GB hard drive. Currently running 10.6.8. I have a 2TB external hard drive for use with Time Machine and for storing my games from GOG.

I plan on upgrading the RAM to 4GB and then installing Mountain Lion or Maverick (more likely because its a free upgrade).

Oh, I also have this awesome solar powered wireless keyboard: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac
Melhelix: I have used PlayOnMac and honestly am never that impressed. For instance, NWN2 will install but will run with an entirely black screen. Now this was useful in its own right as it did install correctly and so I was able to snag the various bits related to the expansions and throw them in a prior Mac version of NWN2 that I had working (it was on the MacApp store for like 6 months before getting pulled due to publisher problems), which allowed me to cobble together a complete edition (totally worth it). However, I have tried to use PlayOnMac for ....nine? games I think, and none of them have ever reached a reliably playable stage. I have a much, much higher batting average with plain Wineskin Winery and Boxer. Just today I started playing around with CrossOver, and so far I am very impressed. I finally have something that will run Inquisitor! Basically CrossOver>Winery>Boxer (for DOSBox games)>PlayOnMac (last resort). I honestly am happiest with an official GOG Mac version of a game because I have yet to encounter a single one that doesn't work. Seriously, they all just boot up and go, no muss, no fuss. It's really, really sweet not to spend hours trying to wrangle something into playability only to discover that sure it runs but the cursor flickers, it won't save, the audio stutters, the movies won't play, etc, etc, and then have to go back to dicking with it. /twocents
dirtyharry50: This makes me want to take a look at Crossover some time. So far, I too have been happy with the results I've been able to obtain with Wineskin and Boxer as needed. I agree though, it is really wonderful to get a GOG release where the work has already been done, tested and the game just works. You have to love that.
I have crossover. I used it a couple of times but had a problem with extreme screen flicker. I emailed them and they said it was a problem they were working on. I haven't used it since. I have found using wine to be so much easier and more reliable.
dirtyharry50: This makes me want to take a look at Crossover some time. So far, I too have been happy with the results I've been able to obtain with Wineskin and Boxer as needed. I agree though, it is really wonderful to get a GOG release where the work has already been done, tested and the game just works. You have to love that.
htown1980: I have crossover. I used it a couple of times but had a problem with extreme screen flicker. I emailed them and they said it was a problem they were working on. I haven't used it since. I have found using wine to be so much easier and more reliable.
I haven't checked into it yet and probably won't until the next time I want to use Wine but I think they offer a free trial period to check it out. I am pretty sure they used to at least so hopefully they still do.

Was that long ago you had the problems with flickering?

I would think the nicest thing it might potentially offer me is pre-fab bottles for existing games that just work. Maybe that is hoping for too much though. If not, I don't really see the benefit much over Winskin except if their branch of Wine with their own enhancements makes some stuff work that otherwise might not as well.
htown1980: I have crossover. I used it a couple of times but had a problem with extreme screen flicker. I emailed them and they said it was a problem they were working on. I haven't used it since. I have found using wine to be so much easier and more reliable.
dirtyharry50: I haven't checked into it yet and probably won't until the next time I want to use Wine but I think they offer a free trial period to check it out. I am pretty sure they used to at least so hopefully they still do.

I would think the nicest thing it might potentially offer me is pre-fab bottles for existing games that just work. Maybe that is hoping for too much though. If not, I don't really see the benefit much over Winskin except if their branch of Wine with their own enhancements makes some stuff work that otherwise might not as well.
It was about a year ago. It is ok being able to download pre made bottles but I have found that often they don't have bottles for games that I play (mainly gog) or better bottles can be found elsewhere - porting team or paulthetall (or made myself). I still don't have a clue how to make a bottle but every time a need one, I google then somehow work out how to do it
dirtyharry50: I haven't checked into it yet and probably won't until the next time I want to use Wine but I think they offer a free trial period to check it out. I am pretty sure they used to at least so hopefully they still do.

htown1980: It was about a year ago. It is ok being able to download pre made bottles but I have found that often they don't have bottles for games that I play (mainly gog) or better bottles can be found elsewhere - porting team or paulthetall (or made myself). I still don't have a clue how to make a bottle but every time a need one, I google then somehow work out how to do it
I took a look at Playonmac last night and they certainly have a lot of GOGs listed plus a bunch of other games that are supposedly ready to go but then someone above reported they didn't see consistently reliable results when they tried that.

I've already had good results so far with Wineskin so I'll probably stick with that although I am going to investigate and try out Crossover as I think a purchase with them supports Wine development which would add to the value of paying for it for me. I need to search there for what they support, etc. and spend some time seeing how useful it might really be to me but that takes a while.