It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We're giving away 100 games a day to our users to celebrate our 5th birthday!

For the last 5 years we've been doing our best to bring the best games in history to your home computers. Now, we're celebrating our birthday, and we want you--our users--to have a blast! That's why for the next five days we'll be giving away 100 games a day via our different channels (the forums, social media, YouTube). The details of each giveaway will be revealed on day to day basis, so make sure to drop by daily and see what are we up to.

So, we heard you like puzzles and trivia? Let's have some more of that, shall we? Today, our giveaway is once again forum-based, but requires some gaming knowledge and puzzle-solving skill. We present, the GOG.com B-Day crossword puzzle!

GOG.com 5th B-Day Crossword Puzzle

As you may have noticed, this isn't your regular crossword puzzle. You'll need not only guess what the correct words are, but also where do they go in the diagram. If you manage to get enough of them right, you'll be able to figure out the secret password. Send an email with the said password with the subject line CROSSWORD to contest@gog.com. Out of all the people who do this, we'll pick 100 users who will be sent a $9.99 gift-code.You have time until tomorrow, that's Friday, October 4, at 2:59PM GMT to send us your answer and enter the giveaway, as at that time we'll be moving to another communications channel with a new set of rules.

EDIT:
Have you participated in one of our 5th birthday contests, but are still waiting for its conclusion? We're a bit overwhelmed by the number of entries, as this is the ongoing biggest series of giveaways in the whole of GOG.com history. Please be patient, well sort it all out, eventually, and everyone who was lucky enough to win something will be notified. Sorry for the delay!
Post edited October 03, 2013 by G-Doc
THANKS ALOT AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOG
Post edited October 04, 2013 by shqlinkz
Hah, I guessed a different game for the top-left down word. It just happened to have the same number of letters and a 't' in the #1 box. Can't remember what the game was tho, didn't keep the image.

I found the GOG wiki very helpful. I found two of the answers by typing the clue into the wiki's search.
I have seriously bad luck with these. The Spelunky contest started ~20min after I had visited Gog.com and I revisited 3 hours later, when all winning entries had already submitted. Rules weren't clear, so I spend hopeful 3 hours to find the hidden idols only to find afterwards that I had already lost when I did begin my mission.

There have been few others in last few years that I don't anymore remember exactly.

But this time I found this contest that had no "be in first XX correct answers" requirement, but I did somehow confuse the deadline. You can't imagine how happy I was that you finally made a contest with internet-friendly rules. When I found the post, it was still there. Then I spend ~3 hours to crack the puzzle and when I came back to read the submit instruction, the blog post was deleted.

I found the post from browser cache and it said the deadline was ~30 min before that time. Timezones always confuse me and I don't usually really know what date it is currently, so I really had to calculate that carefully.

That said, crossword was much mor fun than the "find words from grid" puzzle that did or didn't have Arma in it. And this time the deadline was generous and clear.

This time it was my fault, but I just had to write to express my bad luck with Gog. I'm sorry if I have previously send more or less passive agressive email with my answes, but you should know, I had good reasons to be upset with my inferior luck and occurrence.

*And to be clear, I have >50 games already on by GOG shelf and I'm not just fishing free games here. I'm geniously bedazzled of my bad luck that prevents me to win before I even have submitted my answers.
Post edited October 04, 2013 by WeakSet
I also though "mob build mob breaks" was syndicate -- that was the first answer I put into the puzzle.

And then I thought "mutually assured destruction" was fallout.

Eventually I figured out I had the right answers for the wrong reasons :-)
What was the whole thing about the order of the clues? As far as I was concerned they were in order anyway.

First across clue was "banished to planet voxel" and this corresponded to the first across answer on the grid if you follow a left to right order from the top line down. Same for the down clues too. And this is the standard way to order a crossword.
I played Syndicate without audio. If only I had been able to make it work with my Gravis Ultrasound back then, this puzzle would have been a bit easier.
korell: What was the whole thing about the order of the clues? As far as I was concerned they were in order anyway.

First across clue was "banished to planet voxel" and this corresponded to the first across answer on the grid if you follow a left to right order from the top line down. Same for the down clues too. And this is the standard way to order a crossword.
I feel so stupid for not noticing this when I was doing it. Looking back though, you're completely right.
korell: What was the whole thing about the order of the clues? As far as I was concerned they were in order anyway.

The "across" clues were in order, but the "down" clues were rearranged in the sequence 5-1-4-2-3-6
edit: ah - I understand now. Never mind
Post edited October 05, 2013 by Barefoot_Monkey

Barefoot_Monkey: The "across" clues were in order, but the "down" clues were rearranged in the sequence 5-1-4-2-3-6
Nope, not if you were to number as standard crosswords do. Work from top left, across to the right edge, then down a row. First down answer is then the one two to the left of the number 10 square. This is also the answer for the first down clue.

EDIT: Here, see the attached image that illustrates it. :)
Attachments:
Post edited October 05, 2013 by korell
Barefoot_Monkey: The "across" clues were in order, but the "down" clues were rearranged in the sequence 5-1-4-2-3-6
The vertical position of the starting letter has priority when numbering crossword clues. I didn't notice it myself, but yes, this puzzle was ordered as a crossword would be.

I totally see what you're saying, though.
Right so has GOG announced any winners? Has anyone been contacted yet?
MrAlphaNumeric: Right so has GOG announced any winners? Has anyone been contacted yet?
I certainly haven't seen anything announced yet, and some of the contests were over a week ago!

I'm pretty confident I've been one of the longest account winners, but have yet to hear anything, or see any announcements.
MrAlphaNumeric: Right so has GOG announced any winners? Has anyone been contacted yet?
The Riddle one (26th September) had its winners contacted a week later (3rd October). So I'd say wait a bit longer for this one.
JMich: The Riddle one (26th September) had its winners contacted a week later (3rd October). So I'd say wait a bit longer for this one.
Now nearly a week on from my last post, and still nothing?

:/
Do you realize the amount of entries they have to plow through? They also have a business to run while they do so. Plus, there were more than one giveaway which means n+1 more entries to check. Be patient, they will announce the winners as soon as they can.