It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get a free GOG.com game with your Curse.com premium membership!

[url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank][/url]What a great day to have a curse! [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium membership, that is. We've partnered up with the fast-growing gaming network to make their sleek paid accounts offer even more awesome than before. Each premium user--whether they're upgrading their account or already have premium subscription--now gets to pick one of ten games redeemable on GOG.com. That's our way of putting a cherry on top of the already extensive offer, that includes--but is not limited to--unlimited access to a feature-full online gaming client, beta-keys giveaways, and various discounts with selected partners. Here's the list of GOG.com games that [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium members can pick from:

Sacred Gold
Gothic 2 Gold Edition
Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Divine Divinity
Dungeon Keeper Gold
Darwinia
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Puddle
Defender's Quest
Megabyte Punch

As you can see, whether you are a role-player, a strategist, a puzzle-solver, or even a keen tower defender, you'll get something extra for yourself with your current or new premium [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] membership. More info on obtaining the free game can be found in [url=http://www.curse.com/news/curse/49289-curse-premium-membership-now-includes-a-free-game" target="_blank]this Curse.com news article[/url]. This partnership offer remains valid at least until December 31, 2014. We highly recommend [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] services, and hope you'll enjoy your free title!
This really does not seem to be a good idea, many times in the past Curse has put up ads that installed keyloggers in the background that attempt to steal blizzard passwords. They don't screen their ads at all (or at least didn't in the past, though I doubt they changed that now), so anyone going there is at risk.
Pumpkinreaper: This really does not seem to be a good idea, many times in the past Curse has put up ads that installed keyloggers in the background that attempt to steal blizzard passwords. They don't screen their ads at all (or at least didn't in the past, though I doubt they changed that now), so anyone going there is at risk.
I think that was rather something like the recent attack on Yahoo!'s ad servers where malware ads were put there by the intruders, rather than unscreened ads.
Dzsono: Really? I didn't know that (obviously :D). Has Rockstar mentioned what's going to happen when the service shuts down?
pimpmonkey2382: I have no clue, they might have but I'm totally ignorant on it. xD
I've also bought one game on GFWL, Blacklight: Retribution's predecessor Blacklight: Tango Down, and haven't seen what'll happen with that either. That game has been dead for years though, and the sequel was put out by a different publisher, and I think Tango Down was the only game Ignition Entertainment ever published on PC.
Post edited January 07, 2014 by fisk0
GOG.com: Get a free GOG.com game with your Curse.com premium membership!

[url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank][/url]What a great day to have a curse! [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium membership, that is. We've partnered up with the fast-growing gaming network to make their sleek paid accounts offer even more awesome than before. Each premium user--whether they're upgrading their account or already have premium subscription--now gets to pick one of ten games redeemable on GOG.com. That's our way of putting a cherry on top of the already extensive offer, that includes--but is not limited to--unlimited access to a feature-full online gaming client, beta-keys giveaways, and various discounts with selected partners. Here's the list of GOG.com games that [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium members can pick from:

Sacred Gold
Gothic 2 Gold Edition
Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Divine Divinity
Dungeon Keeper Gold
Darwinia
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Puddle
Defender's Quest
Megabyte Punch

As you can see, whether you are a role-player, a strategist, a puzzle-solver, or even a keen tower defender, you'll get something extra for yourself with your current or new premium [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] membership. More info on obtaining the free game can be found in [url=http://www.curse.com/news/curse/49289-curse-premium-membership-now-includes-a-free-game" target="_blank]this Curse.com news article[/url]. This partnership offer remains valid at least until December 31, 2014. We highly recommend [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] services, and hope you'll enjoy your free title!
Uh-oh.
I'm avoiding this like the plague. Does not seem good at all.
Is this the free crack giveaway?
high rated
I downloaded some mods for WoW from Curse a few years back. Figured I'd use their handy little installer package... which proceeded to install a keylogger on my system, resulting in my account being hacked a few days later. Upon contacting them about the incident (to both politely chastise and warn them that they need to check their downloads more thoroughly), I was basically told by their representative to 'f**k off', and that it wasn't their problem.

Not even free games will convince me to ever do anything involving that site again.
high rated
Just wanted to offer the perspective of someone who used to have a Curse basic account. My feelings about them as a site (site-family) are mixed, because while I thought their mod client was quite decent I felt that whenever they acquired a user-generated content site they tended to mung it up with obnoxious ads (those sliders REALLY annoy me) and other crud, making it less usable for me. So that's Curse, not great, not terrible, and for a while in vanilla WoW it was the best game in town if you were a mod-aholic like me. I think I switched to managing my mods manually near the end of my tenure on WoW but can't recall why; I think just because I didn't want the updater nagging me when I was happy with my stable-but-older mod setup. Or I might have gotten annoyed at the ads on the webpages. It's lost to the mists of memory.

My relationship with GOG, however, is recorded in my purchase history. I was still mostly playing MMOs at that point, but there was a free Torchlight promo. I jumped on for that but just had that and other free games for quite some time. But by the time a sale rolled around I trusted GOG to be reliable and to have a great attitude -- by then I had also gotten my first Steam games, wrestled with Steam's rather clunky client (I find GOG's beta downloader, a little crashy as it is on my system, to be less of a pain to use and easier to figure out what it's doing and pause/restart it), and I like the DRM-free ethos a TON here as well as the way the site is run. Yes, I still play a lot of Steam games, but I feel more confident in GOG and am always happy when new games get onto GOG, and was downright delighted to find so many of my old friends in the catalog. Good old games indeed. This after not ever having heard of GOG before that Torchlight promo.

So this partnership represents a nice little freebie for GOG users who already have a Curse membership -- and even though MMOs are a very different beast, almost everyone I knew on WoW also loved single-player games. It also gets exposure to GOG for Curse account owners, and that just isn't a bad thing. If this deal had happened back when I was still using Curse I probably wouldn't have bought a premium account over it because even when I was running a lot of mods the value just was not there for me, but I WOULD have checked out GOG and been excited by what was on offer here.

I don't feel that the partnership tars GOG's good name even though I'm pretty ambivalent about Curse; it's just a promo. The announcement could have been more clearly worded for the GOG-only folks, as I found it a little confusing and I've actually interacted with Curse in the past! So I understand the confusion from those who haven't.

I'm pretty much a lurker in this community but I thought I was actually the sort of audience this crossover was targeted for, so I thought I'd pipe up.
high rated
Pumpkinreaper: This really does not seem to be a good idea, many times in the past Curse has put up ads that installed keyloggers in the background that attempt to steal blizzard passwords. They don't screen their ads at all (or at least didn't in the past, though I doubt they changed that now), so anyone going there is at risk.
That's every single ad network on the internet, ads are currently the most popular attack vector. Just use an adblocking browser extension until the various websites learn to screen ads. When they whine about your use of adblocking software, tell them to start screening their ads.
pseudonymous: That's every single ad network on the internet, ads are currently the most popular attack vector. Just use an adblocking browser extension until the various websites learn to screen ads. When they whine about your use of adblocking software, tell them to start screening their ads.
I rated this post with a plus sign.
RedneckSith: I downloaded some mods for WoW from Curse a few years back. Figured I'd use their handy little installer package... which proceeded to install a keylogger on my system, resulting in my account being hacked a few days later. Upon contacting them about the incident (to both politely chastise and warn them that they need to check their downloads more thoroughly), I was basically told by their representative to 'f**k off', and that it wasn't their problem.

Not even free games will convince me to ever do anything involving that site again.
Have you still got their email response?
RedneckSith: I downloaded some mods for WoW from Curse a few years back. Figured I'd use their handy little installer package... which proceeded to install a keylogger on my system, resulting in my account being hacked a few days later. Upon contacting them about the incident (to both politely chastise and warn them that they need to check their downloads more thoroughly), I was basically told by their representative to 'f**k off', and that it wasn't their problem.

That's a really bad experience and could mean that they aren't a worthy partner for GOG.
RoseLegion: snip my two cents,
Legion
vulchor: Thanks for making me feel a lot better about my own paranoia.
Sure thing mate :)
Dzsono: Really? I didn't know that (obviously :D). Has Rockstar mentioned what's going to happen when the service shuts down?
pimpmonkey2382: I have no clue, they might have but I'm totally ignorant on it. xD
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/20/games-for-windows-live-may-shut-down-next-year/

The GFWL Market place should (was meant to) be shut down by now. The GFWL platform will follow soon, as far as I'm aware.

@ the user who was talking about Steam Licencing.

Think of Steam as the directors of your trust fund. They give you access to the money as they see fit, but they can for any reason decide to reduce that or cut you off altogether. You could go to the game developer if you wish, but first you would need things like proof of purchase, serial number, etc. Then you would have to hope the developer would actually give a sh1t ...... which, once they have your money, most don't these days.

Comes a time in every business where they reach a crucial point, do they focus on greater incomes or improved product/customer relations.

Regarding Curse, I have used them in the past for games like WoW or Warhammer Online, they are a great source for mods and quite trustworthy. The only real bonus to subscription is automation, otherwise you must update manually and one mod at a time. I would (as someone who used them for years) recommend them if you play a game they support with mods.
Post edited January 14, 2014 by Ebany
Ebany: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/20/games-for-windows-live-may-shut-down-next-year/

The GFWL Market place should (was meant to) be shut down by now. The GFWL platform will follow soon, as far as I'm aware.

@ the user who was talking about Steam Licencing.

Think of Steam as the directors of your trust fund. They give you access to the money as they see fit, but they can for any reason decide to reduce that or cut you off altogether. You could go to the game developer if you wish, but first you would need things like proof of purchase, serial number, etc. Then you would have to hope the developer would actually give a sh1t ...... which, once they have your money, most don't these days.

Comes a time in every business where they reach a crucial point, do they focus on greater incomes or improved product/customer relations.

Regarding Curse, I have used them in the past for games like WoW or Warhammer Online, they are a great source for mods and quite trustworthy. The only real bonus to subscription is automation, otherwise you must update manually and one mod at a time. I would (as someone who used them for years) recommend them if you play a game they support with mods.
Hmm, i think my Fable 3 Game from steam requires GFWL
not too sure, but it woud suck if it suddenly stopped working cuz of a third party service that went down since its a pretty good game.

Annyway the licence argument is kinda pointless.
Sure you own only the licence but you can do almost anything you want with the game.
This you cant do with a game or the libary on steam.

It woud practically be like buying a car, but you cant do what you want with it within legal laws and regulations because of patent protection.
Like say you cant sell the car to a friend because the cardealer have placed some kind of customer restriction in your car
because they can.
This seems like a lot of stuff to go through just to get a copy of Megabyte Punch. I think I'll wait until the next time it's on sale. Should be soon, it's pretty old.