It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GameRager: Also I am talking about compromise on a solution to the current situation not prior situations....that is old business and this is 'new', so we should focus on the now and not the past if we are to move forward.
The prior situation directly reflects on the current situation. Concessions were made in the prior situation that are relevant to why the current situation is the way it is. And even regardless I am not seeing the big companies "compromising" in the current situation. What is the most "current" EA game on GOG? Dragon Age: Origins, from almost a decade ago.

As for the Scheme ;) discussion, I don't really know that much about Gabe so I will take your word for it. I am just saying in general that instead of going out of business, I could see a future where streaming is adopted by the vast majority of people, and people would accept some migration as long as they could still access their games.
Post edited November 07, 2019 by rjbuffchix
low rated
rjbuffchix: The prior situation directly reflects on the current situation. Concessions were made in the prior situation that are relevant to why the current situation is the way it is. And even regardless I am not seeing the big companies "compromising" in the current situation. What is the most "current" EA game on GOG? Dragon Age: Origins, from almost a decade ago.
It doesn't matter...we still must compromise and set a good example....sticking our fingers in our ears and stomping off from the bargaining table doesn't help us any & makes our position look worse to others.

Also that IS a compromise....they didn't have to release that game here, now did they?
(I should get it myself...that bloody PS3 copy of mine always freezes for like 2-3 minutes at the dlc/saves checking screen)

rjbuffchix: As for the Scheme ;) discussion, I don't really know that much about Gabe so I will take your word for it. I am just saying in general that instead of going out of business, I could see a future where streaming is adopted by the vast majority of people, and people would accept some migration as long as they could still access their games.
It could happen as you say, I just don't think Gabe would be willing to give up that easily...doesn't seem his style from what I know and have seen.

Also it's STEAM....say it with me....S-T-E-A-M. I dislike them a bit myself but I can at least give them the courtesy of using their name as it is written. ;)
rjbuffchix: The prior situation directly reflects on the current situation. Concessions were made in the prior situation that are relevant to why the current situation is the way it is. And even regardless I am not seeing the big companies "compromising" in the current situation. What is the most "current" EA game on GOG? Dragon Age: Origins, from almost a decade ago.
GameRager: It doesn't matter...we still must compromise and set a good example....sticking our fingers in our ears and stomping off from the bargaining table doesn't help us any & makes our position look worse to others.

Also that IS a compromise....they didn't have to release that game here, now did they?
Yes, it was a compromise...a compromise nearly 10 years ago, what have they done lately, do you mean to tell me the reason why there are no EA games here since then is because people are supposedly "sticking our fingers in our ears?" This, coming from the biggest money-lovers this side of a politician? Lol. People would snap up some of their other games in an instant...unless it turns out all the votes for Mass Effect are the result of "brigading" ;)
rjbuffchix: Yes, it was a compromise...a compromise nearly 10 years ago, what have they done lately, do you mean to tell me the reason why there are no EA games here since then is because people are supposedly "sticking our fingers in our ears?"
Since when do they have to give us something every so often for us to even consider giving them something? If we all do such and wait for the other side to go first then not much will get done.

And no i am not trying to tell you or anyone that. :)

rjbuffchix: This, coming from the biggest money-lovers this side of a politician? Lol. People would snap up some of their other games in an instant...unless it turns out all the votes for Mass Effect are the result of "brigading" ;)
They are likely also lazy and don't want to bother doing such, or are set in their ways due to the poison being spewed in their ears by their yes men/women and focus groups/etc.

As for bridgading yes I admit it, everyone....all those votes for every game on the list were made by me...even the ones you people might have voted for. o.0

Mwahhahahahaha ;)

Addition: Dunno if you're doing this, but if so then please limit doing pic related....
Attachments:
Post edited November 07, 2019 by GameRager
GameRager: it just makes one feel they are doing something that will affect change so they can feel better about themselves
Was actually wondering about that argument of yours. If it actually would be so, isn't it quite absurd for someone advocating just enjoying yourself in this life to reject something done just to feel better?
Karterii1993: I would argue companies like EA figured out exactly how to make big changes in a pretty short amount of time. Slooooowly introduce anti consumer garbage, then once it has become the norm... Introduce more garbage!

I think consumers should work similarly. Slooowly ask for less and less restrictions. First stop buying on Origin, then stop buying live services... and then at some point we will get to less restrictive DRM until we reach no DRM!
One big problem with gradual demands (on top of the "moving goalposts" thing that makes the other side believe it's pointless to accept any since there will just be more whether they do or don't) is that, out of the already far too few fighting at all, plenty would be content with obtaining a certain compromise and not fight further, so each step made will reduce the support for the next one. If things stay the same, or get even worse, those willing to fight will keep fighting until that major change will come completely. And making your end-game demand upfront and sticking to it is just... honesty.

I mean, see where "compromising" led with GOG. Start with DRM-free, flat pricing and extra goodies for all games. And the restriction with older games also meant there were no delayed/missing patches issues. Then some no longer have any "goodies". Then they introduce newer games and patching problems may start popping up. Then they give up on flat pricing but claim it'll only be for a few hand picked much desired titles, for which they'll make up for the difference in store credit, and will still stick to flat for the rest. Then regional pricing was introduced for more and more newer games. Then for older games as well. Then they removed making up for it with store credit too. And they added Gwent as well, with microtransactions and online only, being MP only. And there's that SecuROM in FEAR. And there was a game with some additional content requiring connecting somewhere, right? And maybe a few other things as well, so there are dents in the DRM-free armor too.
That's where compromising leads when you're the one in the weaker position. You just keep losing.
low rated
Cavalary: Was actually wondering about that argument of yours. If it actually would be so, isn't it quite absurd for someone advocating just enjoying yourself in this life to reject something done just to feel better?
I never said people shouldn't do such, just that it is mostly pointless and I don't see a point in doing it(most times...there are some exceptions) if I don't benefit or have to suffer/make my life experience too much "lesser" to uphold such stances.

Cavalary: One big problem with gradual demands (on top of the "moving goalposts" thing that makes the other side believe it's pointless to accept any since there will just be more whether they do or don't) is that, out of the already far too few fighting at all, plenty would be content with obtaining a certain compromise and not fight further, so each step made will reduce the support for the next one. If things stay the same, or get even worse, those willing to fight will keep fighting until that major change will come completely. And making your end-game demand upfront and sticking to it is just... honesty.
Gradual demands seem to work for the pc crowd, and others as well. Also you can set your demands high but not too high if you worry the other side will whittle them down over time/through negotiations....you don't need to set them ultra low, just not too high either.

Also sticking to an unrealistic goal is just stubborn foolishness in a good number of cases, imo.

Cavalary: I mean, see where "compromising" led with GOG. Start with DRM-free, flat pricing and extra goodies for all games. And the restriction with older games also meant there were no delayed/missing patches issues. Then some no longer have any "goodies". Then they introduce newer games and patching problems may start popping up. Then they give up on flat pricing but claim it'll only be for a few hand picked much desired titles, for which they'll make up for the difference in store credit, and will still stick to flat for the rest. Then regional pricing was introduced for more and more newer games. Then for older games as well. Then they removed making up for it with store credit too. And they added Gwent as well, with microtransactions and online only, being MP only.
We lost much but they also had partners/etc they had to please or work with and sadly they had to make compromises with them as well as us. We still have the drm free principle and other things, fwiw.

Also Gwent is an exception as it's F2P and MP based, so of course they should be able to generate income from it somehow.

Cavalary: And there's that SecuROM in FEAR. And there was a game with some additional content requiring connecting somewhere, right?
Sources and citation needed....securom in a gog game? I don't think that would fly without people complaining if that were the case. If you could show proof it would be nice as then I could accept that claim more readily.

Cavalary: And maybe a few other things as well, so there are dents in the DRM-free armor too.
That's where compromising leads when you're the one in the weaker position. You just keep losing.
And sometimes you win...you are being too pessimistic here on this.
GameRager: Sources and citation needed....securom in a gog game? I don't think that would fly without people complaining if that were the case. If you could show proof it would be nice as then I could accept that claim more readily.
You mean you missed all of this?
low rated
Cavalary: You mean you missed all of this?
Gonna read that, but I don't think I was back on the fourms at that point.
===========================

Update: I read the OP post.....

"The topic was raised in the past and I can only give you the same answer:
I've talked with the Production Lead and this is not DRM, it is an anti-debugger protection and we will not be allocating resources to remove it. Process Explorer (Process Monitor) is an optional software, since it is interfering with the game we recommend to close it.
It is not uncommon for software to interfere with games and in some cases closing other programs before launching will be required.

Regards
Genoan
GOG.com Support"

Damn, support is daft if that is the official reply they tried to float(Basically it reads "we're not fixing anything....toss off"), and they dropped the ball if they let a staffer send that out unofficially. In the past they would've done a whole apology video/pr release and made amends....now they seem to not care as much.

And if there is DRM remnants in ONE game, how many OTHER games have such as well? This alone makes me wonder.

All that plus the fact that(apparently) they still use other people's(scene/crack team files) work without giving any credit(even after the whole fiasco before where they claimed some fixes as their own handiwork) makes me a good bit disappointed in the modern day gog we have now.

(Also the amounts of very pro-gog "advocates" in that thread is insane.....especially as they are all high rated)
Post edited November 08, 2019 by GameRager
Cavalary: You mean you missed all of this?
GameRager: Gonna read that, but I don't think I was back on the fourms at that point.
===========================

Update: I read the OP post.....

"The topic was raised in the past and I can only give you the same answer:
I've talked with the Production Lead and this is not DRM, it is an anti-debugger protection and we will not be allocating resources to remove it. Process Explorer (Process Monitor) is an optional software, since it is interfering with the game we recommend to close it.
It is not uncommon for software to interfere with games and in some cases closing other programs before launching will be required.

Regards
Genoan
GOG.com Support"

Damn, support is daft if that is the official reply they tried to float(Basically it reads "we're not fixing anything....toss off"), and they dropped the ball if they let a staffer send that out unofficially. In the past they would've done a whole apology video/pr release and made amends....now they seem to not care as much.

And if there is DRM remnants in ONE game, how many OTHER games have such as well? This alone makes me wonder.

All that plus the fact that(apparently) they still use other people's(scene/crack team files) work without giving any credit(even after the whole fiasco before where they claimed some fixes as their own handiwork) makes me a good bit disappointed in the modern day gog we have now.

(Also the amounts of very pro-gog "advocates" in that thread is insane.....especially as they are all high rated)
cant help those people who still have the blinders on and refuse to believe that GoG isnt the newcome Messiah of the gaming world
Post edited November 08, 2019 by Zetikla
GameRager: I noted that, but it still doesn't change the fact that if it happened it wouldn't matter too much if you had 3 backups or 4.

U nless one's other backups are also near failing one an go at their own pace, I would think.

Cracked games work just as fine as legit backups, if the source is verified.

If steam went down the smart ones would've likely cracked their copies already and it wouldn't matter much to many of them....mainly those who don't do such would panic.

With Win10 there is little overhead as it's built in to the OS.
I'm done. Not gonna argue anymore.

I don't mean to be rude, but it is clear to me you don't know much about logistics, technology or logic with your statements, so I am just flogging a dead horse and thus wasting my time.

Your last statement about Win 10 is just silly. The hardware is far more important than the OS.
Post edited November 08, 2019 by Timboli
My money is all the DRM any game needs. I worked hard for it. I earned it. And it's worth more than they charge by far.
Cavalary: One big problem with gradual demands (on top of the "moving goalposts" thing that makes the other side believe it's pointless to accept any since there will just be more whether they do or don't) is that, out of the already far too few fighting at all, plenty would be content with obtaining a certain compromise and not fight further, so each step made will reduce the support for the next one. If things stay the same, or get even worse, those willing to fight will keep fighting until that major change will come completely. And making your end-game demand upfront and sticking to it is just... honesty.
The way I see it, problems like this aren't really "fights". GOG as a storefront didn't come about because people were fighting but because there was an exploitable gap in the market. Steam had old games but they didn't run, so the guys at GOG made a store to sell working copies of older games, and sold them DRM-free. The cool part about this is, I did nothing to make this come about other than expressing (in a non-personal, consumer-kind of way) that I would pay for old games. Now the store is up, I bought old games, and I buy new games from here because they are DRM-free.

If GOG goes down the toilet and becomes a DRM-filled Steam clone, then I stop buying from them (unless they still provide a service better than others). I don't need to necessarily fight for my consumer rights, all I need to do is just buy from the service I like the most.

Now you are right, there are few of us who have these values of DRM-free games and such, but when DRM becomes unbearable to the masses (which will inevitably happen) some small company is going to realize the market gap and cater to us again.

Sorry I am just repeating what you already know, it's just that the way you framed it sounded so grandiose, like a holy battle for our consumer rights. I just don't fret about that sort of thing since all I need to and can do as a consumer is buy services I like. That's it. Unless I decide to open up my own store. I am annoyed at mindless consumers for spoiling big publishers and such, and I am starting to believe everyone just got too much money and throw it at bad business. Used to be people were very careful about each purchase and tried to squeeze as much enjoyment from one product as they could. Now we are like pigs just eating shit up quick and asking for seconds. But at some point, money's going to run tighter, and suddenly consumers will get smarter again for a while.

Sorry again, I just keep going... My point is everything's going to be fine one way or another, and all we have to worry about is buying what makes us happy. Easier said than done, most people don't even know what makes them happy and buy things they don't really enjoy. Not only have we spoiled big publishers, but we seem to be spoiled ourselves to the point where we can't live happily if we don't own EVERYTHING. As long as that mindset persists, streaming services (and piracy) are going to only get more and more popular :P
Post edited November 08, 2019 by Karterii1993
GameRager: And if there is DRM remnants in ONE game, how many OTHER games have such as well? This alone makes me wonder.
You can bet that there are remnants of DRM in many games here, as the fame in cracking scene comes from being the first to bypass the copy protection / DRM on a given game, not from how cleanly it was removed.

Of course it would be nice to have all the leftover stuff removed properly, but as long as the online side of DRM is made inert and it doesn't have any noticeable dent on a game's performance or cause abnormal harm to hardware, then why should GOG waste resources on that when there are far more urgent issues to solve?
low rated
Timboli: I'm done. Not gonna argue anymore.
Fair enough

Timboli: I don't mean to be rude, but it is clear to me you don't know much about logistics, technology or logic with your statements, so I am just flogging a dead horse and thus wasting my time.
One doesn't have to be a tech whiz to make common sense arguments. Cracks(if scanned) usually work just fine, and 1 extra backup makes some difference but not a ton of difference when over a certain number of backups.

Timboli: Your last statement about Win 10 is just silly. The hardware is far more important than the OS.
It would've been nice to have seen some proof of that that I could actually use to determine if it had merit and wasn't just opinion.
=================

JAAHAS: You can bet that there are remnants of DRM in many games here, as the fame in cracking scene comes from being the first to bypass the copy protection / DRM on a given game, not from how cleanly it was removed.

Of course it would be nice to have all the leftover stuff removed properly, but as long as the online side of DRM is made inert and it doesn't have any noticeable dent on a game's performance or cause abnormal harm to hardware, then why should GOG waste resources on that when there are far more urgent issues to solve?
TBH if the "drm" was inactive remnants that didn't get installed to the system at all that'd be somewhat more acceptable then what the version of FEAR here supposedly has, and just hearing about this ONE game makes me start to call things into question...especially given the reply by staff to that user.
Post edited November 08, 2019 by GameRager
Karterii1993:
The difference in "framing" comes from the fact that you are an advocate of the free market and actually seem to believe that doing things the way you say works. I'm very much the opposite and say that things left to market forces will just keep getting worse, so what's needed are tight regulations and directions set. But, of course, if you give state actors that power over things, they may make it even worse than the free market would, so you need people who actually care for the right causes to actively fight and bring about those desired changes, so the regulations and directions will go the right way.
Post edited November 08, 2019 by Cavalary