It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For the occasion of the Bethesda Publisher Sale, we asked a couple of our teammates at GOG about their favorite games from this publisher, and why they loved those titles, or what made them special to them. Below, you can read the first story, from our Design Lead, Bartłomiej Feruś.

I always was a huge fan of the “what if” question. Maybe that’s why most pop culture ideas with the alternative curses of history are kinda “my thing”.

I was fresh after reading “The Plot Against America” by Philip Roth (I highly recommend this book if you didn’t read it yet!) when Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus came out. So, it caught my attention in an instant (I missed the previous part probably just because I didn’t play many new video games for some reason at the time when it came out).

I was sold right away by the believable world of alternative 1960s spiced up by sci-fi elements of diesel-punk flavor. The attention to detail in this world is stunning, just to mention re-imagining the most iconic rock bands of 60’s counterculture as German counterparts.

Other details can be admired in the gorgeous artbook or simply by carefully exploring the game. The story itself is filled with exaggerated characters and insanely crazy twists that Takashi Miike or Quentin Tarantino wouldn’t be ashamed of.

But, let’s not forget that all of this merely serves just a background for the main course that Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus has to offer - killing hordes of Nazis. And this aspect of the game is engaging the most. The amount of upgradeable gear to send the Nazis where they belong in a violent, but at the same time, a sophisticated way will please the pickiest enjoyer of shooters. All those ingredients I’ve mentioned smoothly blend into one satisfying mix called Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

Jump into the second story about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
Swedrami: Can't speak for others, but, as I said I'm just more intrigued by RtCW's and Wolfenstein (2009)'s supernatural occult angle than the alternate universe sci-fi continuity in TNO and onwards.
The Old Blood (TOB) managed to continue the occult things. I liked TOB much much more than the TNO/TNC.
To be honest, I didn't like the half openworldish/hub gameplays of TNO/TNC. I liked the linear gameplay/approach of TOB more.

TNO = The New Order
TNC = The Next Colossus
Swedrami: Can't speak for others, but, as I said I'm just more intrigued by RtCW's and Wolfenstein (2009)'s supernatural occult angle than the alternate universe sci-fi continuity in TNO and onwards.
OPlays22: The Old Blood (TOB) managed to continue the occult things. I liked TOB much much more than the TNO/TNC.
To be honest, I didn't like the half openworldish/hub gameplays of TNO/TNC. I liked the linear gameplay/approach of TOB more.

TNO = The New Order
TNC = The Next Colossus
The New Order was fairly linear, I liked it.
The New Colossus though has plenty of hub and recycled areas... I found it bad on every aspect: cringy plot, extremely few areas that get repeated in annoying, grindy side missions later, sub-par map design, questionable health-armor management and so on.
Warloch_Ahead: But I do agree that they should bring back the occult aspect after hyper techno nazis. Maybe Wolf III.
Given how truly awful Youngblood was, I doubt there will be a Wolf III. However, if there is, you can bet we'll never see it here since Bethesda has decided, like so many others, that their (new) games must be exclusively on (or through) their own platform.
Warloch_Ahead: But I do agree that they should bring back the occult aspect after hyper techno nazis. Maybe Wolf III.
cmclout: Given how truly awful Youngblood was, I doubt there will be a Wolf III. However, if there is, you can bet we'll never see it here since Bethesda has decided, like so many others, that their (new) games must be exclusively on (or through) their own platform.
The devs said it's definitely coming. I googled it and found this info (see enclosed photo).
Attachments:
wolf_3.png (20 Kb)
Still no Doom 2016. Oh, well...

:(
NuffCatnip: Why promote a publisher that hasn't released any games here recently?
This is them begging for more.
high rated
Why don't they bring the best game in the series, Wolfenstein 2009?
trusteft: Why don't they bring the best game in the series, Wolfenstein 2009?
I'll go you one better, why isn't Wolfenstein 2009 legally available ANYWHERE AT ALL?!? Is it due to complex legel issues, like the No One Lives Forever franchise?
high rated
trusteft: Why don't they bring the best game in the series, Wolfenstein 2009?
Sejanoz: I'll go you one better, why isn't Wolfenstein 2009 legally available ANYWHERE AT ALL?!? Is it due to complex legel issues, like the No One Lives Forever franchise?
Wolfenstein 2009 was available digitally, I bought it from D2D back then. Of course D2D closed doors years ago, but thankfully I still have the setup files.
The game deserves to return to digital shops and mainly GOG.
It is a GREAT game, one of the best FPS games of the last 20 years. Game mechanics, weapon/shooting handling, missions, everything was a joy.

EDIT: I decided to re install the game and I can no longer activate it, because you know, DRM servers not working.
Pushing piracy down our throats.
Post edited May 20, 2022 by trusteft
What if .. Non BFG Doom 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Doom 2016, Doom Eternal were to be added? Or at least the single player-games.
Enebias: The New Order was fairly linear, I liked it.
The New Colossus though has plenty of hub and recycled areas... I found it bad on every aspect: cringy plot, extremely few areas that get repeated in annoying, grindy side missions later, sub-par map design, questionable health-armor management and so on.
Yeah, I didn't like it too. However, there was one thing, I need to mention: the soundtrack. This was the best thing about Wolfenstein II: TNC. The soundtrack especiallly the Neumond Records tunes. This music was simply excellent.

Here is one of the tunes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brv4_xpoyRE
Post edited May 20, 2022 by OPlays22
low rated
Enebias: The New Order was fairly linear, I liked it.
OPlays22: Yeah, I didn't like it too...
The only Machinegames' Wolfenstein I loved was The Old Breed... but it was somewhat short. The New Order was ok. The New Colossus I simply stopped playing and never went back.

Best thing about them was they got me to play Wolfenstein (2009) again. Like others, would like to see that game make it here.
Why do people hate New Colossus? I thought people considered it pretty good when it came out.
Wolfenstein 2009 was one of the last games I bought on DVD, cracked, and then made "portable"... Ah, good old days.

I agree, Wolfenstein was best when it was more linear. Colossus is too much like an interactive handhelding-movie, just like the latest war games.

And the atrocious and puerile Youngblood never existed in my mind. That's trash from another universe, something the devs should be ashamed of for actually having released it. It's more on the par with the failed DNF.
GOG.com: I always was
I was
I was
Who's "I" here? Since when was a company a person with a single voice? Dear GOG, when people blog they use their nickname or their real name. Makes it easier to follow the better writer, or the one the reader likes the best. Right now it's meaningless and cold drivel that serves no purpose.
Post edited May 21, 2022 by sanscript
sanscript: . Who's "I" here? Since when was a company a person with a single voice? Dear GOG, when people blog they use their nickname or their real name. Makes it easier to follow the better writer, or the one the reader likes the best. Right now it's meaningless and cold drivel that serves no purpose.
Below, you can read the first story, from our Design Lead, Bartłomiej Feruś.