It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

kavazovangel: Wonder what is GOG's view on Windows 8?
"OHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT"
dirtyharry50: I haven't read anything yet to indicate Windows 8 will be particularly faster other than bootup times which I don't care about or that it will be particularly better in enough ways to justify paying for and bothering with an upgrade.
It really runs faster. And it takes less memory than 7 (at least judging from the VM tests I've done, it could be different on a real hardware).
The problem with Windows 7 is that it HAD to come out. People were SO fed up of the incredible slowness of Vista that they simply stopped buying it and went out and bought Windows XP Pro instead, and for Micro$haft, that was a big problem.

So they created Windows 7 which runs faster and smoother than Vista, to much success.

Ex. Ept. That they dropped the Multi-Core compatibility function for older games. yes, i know that you can Set Affinity once the Exe is running, but if a game crashes before that due to not being designed or aware of Multi-core, you STILL can't play it. Namely Doom 3 and Thief Deadly Shadows. Basically if a game is from 2004 or before forget it.
dirtyharry50: I haven't read anything yet to indicate Windows 8 will be particularly faster other than bootup times which I don't care about or that it will be particularly better in enough ways to justify paying for and bothering with an upgrade.
kavazovangel: It really runs faster. And it takes less memory than 7 (at least judging from the VM tests I've done, it could be different on a real hardware).
Are you seriously suggesting Microsoft can make two good OS in a row? Preposterous!
SimonG: Are you seriously suggesting Microsoft can make two good OS in a row? Preposterous!
And it is more secure, and it has a better interface, both in desktop and immersive mode, and it has hyper-v which is just awesome for developers, and the release is less than a week away! :D
I just bought a computer with Win 7 64-bit. Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, but does anyone have any experience with how the Tex Murphy games will run? I haven't played them in years, just found this website, and would love the chance to play them again.

Thanks for the help.
You don't have to look very hard to find game's in GOG's catalogue that don't suppport win7 yet.

Are GOG continuing their support of these games? Do they intend to fix their catalogue or are they just going to 'forget' some of them?
bncpiner: I just bought a computer with Win 7 64-bit. Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, but does anyone have any experience with how the Tex Murphy games will run? I haven't played them in years, just found this website, and would love the chance to play them again.

Thanks for the help.
My laptop is on Win 7 64-bit. Under a Killing Moon works (maybe due to using DosBox). The first two Tex Murphy works as well (Mean Streets and Martian Memomentum). I don't know about the others.
Tormentfan: You don't have to look very hard to find game's in GOG's catalogue that don't suppport win7 yet.

Are GOG continuing their support of these games? Do they intend to fix their catalogue or are they just going to 'forget' some of them?
GOG have been progressively working through the catalogue, but it's probably not a top priority for them compared to things like securing new titles for the catalogue because all but a handful of GOG releases work perfectly on Windows 7 (since its compatibility is largely identical to Vista).

Many other services never change their store pages at all (so will continue listing XP or whatever as the newest officially supported version) and this doesn't stop people buying older games from them, so I'd imagine GOG customers are generally open to buying games that don't specifically say they are compatible. If you're wanting to know whether a particular GOG release works on Windows 7 you can ask around on its forum, and the answer is almost always "yes".

GOG will have to go through this all over again with the upcoming Windows 8, and as with Windows 7 it's to be expected that all but a handful of GOG releases will work perfectly without changing anything.
So how does this work, exactly?

People have been lamenting Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 and 2 causing total system freezes in Windows 7 since they came to GOG, and they still do it. Is it reasonable to expect a fast fix, or are we going to be waiting years to see anything happen, if at all? I bought these games on the assurance that the WHOLE POINT of Good Old Games was that the games were updated to work on modern operating systems.

To me, if a game does not work on a modern operating system, GOG should not be selling it. I feel cheated out of my money.
Yeah, it really sucks for for the original Disciples game too, which suffers crashing if played in Windows 7.

Also it's a huge oversight in my opinion that NONE of the Jagged Alliance games are officially compatible with Win7. Not to mention other gems like Sacred Gold, Incoming, MDK, Giants, Call to Power, Independence War (I could go on).

At least if we had some kind of definite assurance that GOG are working through them, and haven't forgot them/put them on the back-burner indefinitely. I'm personally just waiting for these games to be compatible, and I'd buy them in a blink.
Crosmando: Also it's a huge oversight in my opinion that NONE of the Jagged Alliance games are officially compatible with Win7.
All of the Jagged Alliance games work just fine in Windows 7, as long as you don't install them in a UAC Controlled folder (aka Program Files). Install them in C:\Games or something, and they work fine.
Crosmando: Also it's a huge oversight in my opinion that NONE of the Jagged Alliance games are officially compatible with Win7.
JMich: All of the Jagged Alliance games work just fine in Windows 7, as long as you don't install them in a UAC Controlled folder (aka Program Files). Install them in C:\Games or something, and they work fine.
Most old games work in Windows 7 provided you look well on the internet. Most of the times, the installation is the most problematic part.

I have found that Discworld Noir has some menu buttons not working, but that is the only game I tried who did not work in the end.
JMich: All of the Jagged Alliance games work just fine in Windows 7, as long as you don't install them in a UAC Controlled folder (aka Program Files). Install them in C:\Games or something, and they work fine.
eeepc35: Most old games work in Windows 7 provided you look well on the internet. Most of the times, the installation is the most problematic part.

I have found that Discworld Noir has some menu buttons not working, but that is the only game I tried who did not work in the end.
how did you get discworld to work? thats a game i havent managed to work yet.
lugum: how did you get discworld to work? thats a game i havent managed to work yet.
First I have to say that it works 99% considering the Save and Load have to be done by the in game menu and not by the main menu.

Then, what you need is the discs of the game. Then google "Discwold noir seven" would lead you to a few pages with guides on how installing it manually.