It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Grargar: The others might not be impossible, but this one definitely is. Disney has given an exclusive 10-year license to EA for the development of new Star Wars games and if such a game was to be made (as is clear with the new Battlefront) it will be Origin-exclusive.
You won't say that when the news headlines read "CD Projekt acquires EA"... just saying! :)
skeletonbow: You won't say that when the news headlines read "CD Projekt acquires EA"... just saying! :)
I can surely say that for this year. ;)
skeletonbow: Near the end of the year, Disney will put out a brand new Star Wars flight combat simulator game as a long awaited sequel to X-Wing Alliance and release it here on GOG on release day DRM-free too.
Grargar: The others might not be impossible, but this one definitely is. Disney has given an exclusive 10-year license to EA for the development of new Star Wars games and if such a game was to be made (as is clear with the new Battlefront) it will be Origin-exclusive.
I think you are absolutely right, but there is still that to ponder :

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1153883

Dysney seems to be looking at 1313, even though that could just mean they are talking with EA...
skeletonbow: Near the end of the year, Disney will put out a brand new Star Wars flight combat simulator game as a long awaited sequel to X-Wing Alliance and release it here on GOG on release day DRM-free too.
I will see your Star Wars flight sim wet dream and raise you this:

It actually WON'T be the successor to Alliance. It will be an open world Privateer inspired sim, with the player able to purchase and upgrade multiple freighter class starships (check out the vessels piloted by the bounty hunters of Empire for ideas... oh and maybe a particular YT class or two as well ;) ).

Can you say Kessel Run? Bounty hunting, smuggling and hit and run raids against Imperial targets? Let's torture each other a bit more shall we ;)
anothername: pff... all bark, no bite. ;)
WinterSnowfall: It's waiting to strike when you least expect it. GOG is evil!!! (now in 3D)
Looks like something for a beer with buddys evening :D

Ixamyakxim: I will see your Star Wars flight sim wet dream and raise you this:

It actually WON'T be the successor to Alliance. It will be an open world Privateer inspired sim, with the player able to purchase and upgrade multiple freighter class starships (check out the vessels piloted by the bounty hunters of Empire for ideas... oh and maybe a particular YT class or two as well ;) ).

Can you say Kessel Run? Bounty hunting, smuggling and hit and run raids against Imperial targets? Let's torture each other a bit more shall we ;)
And thats just the space part of the game. Think of is as the best Elements of Knights of the Old Republic; Jedi Knight Academy; XW Alliance & Star Wars Galaxies came together with next gen graphics. ;)
Dream Star Wars games remind me of https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1793481042/star-wars-open-world-rpg/description (Sadly, the 'delusional Kickstarter of the week' thread got consigned to the archive long ago.)
skeletonbow: DOOM 3 and DOOM3 BFG along with the expansion are coming to GOG soon, that's my hypothesis. At this point I can't think of any good reason why they wouldn't. Probably some other id or Bethesda titles as well.
I really hope GOG will get the original Doom 3! We already have Doom 1 and 2, why not the third one? :P
skeletonbow: ...
If we had gotten Fallout 4 here day-one, I might be closer to believing... ;) I'd settle for some consistency in getting AAA games here, like "if a highly-desired game is 5+ years old there's an 80% chance it'll show up here" :P Still waiting for Tomb Raider Legend, which is coming up on its 10th anniversary soon...
IronArcturus: I really hope GOG will get the original Doom 3! We already have Doom 1 and 2, why not the third one? :P
IMHO, it's just a matter of time. I'd have to check to be certain, but I don't think either of the DOOM 3 variants have DRM on them so it'd just be a matter of them going over the game and GOGifying it, perhaps adding Galaxy multiplayer support to it. They might be working on that right now perhaps and/or they might be gauging how well the titles they've released here do first to gauge the profitability and ROI they could expect from GOG sales for any perceived cost of implementing Galaxy multiplayer support. In addition to that, some companies that might entertain selling on GOG but only if they can have functional multiplayer here also - might delay doing so until Galaxy is a stable released product no longer in beta.

That's a reasonable number of points of speculation, but all we can do now is sit back and wait and see. I think that the number of things that line up to make it plausible are quite high for the DOOM 3 games and possibly other id and older Bethesda titles as well. The more difficult ones to call, are games that are tightly integrated with Steam whether it is just the multiplayer component or various other features, and not just for Bethesda games. I think many companies might be ok with releasing their older games (even newer older ones) DRM-free, but only if they can do so with most of the full set of features they have on other platforms like Steam. GOG Galaxy aims to provide a lot of those optional features, but being deep in beta most of the features either are not there yet at all or are in a very early developmental state which isn't really suitable for an established legacy game title or many new titles.

Once Galaxy is a finished product with stable features, I strongly believe that we will see more games show up here that would otherwise not have shown up. It wont be a massive influx of every game on everyone's greatest list of desires of course, but rather it will be a slow steady growth over time which is what we have seen all along as GOG has grown as a company and distribution platform service.
Post edited January 27, 2016 by skeletonbow
tfishell: If we had gotten Fallout 4 here day-one, I might be closer to believing... ;) I'd settle for some consistency in getting AAA games here, like "if a highly-desired game is 5+ years old there's an 80% chance it'll show up here" :P Still waiting for Tomb Raider Legend, which is coming up on its 10th anniversary soon...
For the most part I don't think we will see AAA games like that show up here on GOG for a number of years, but I don't think it is because the game companies are evil or anti-DRM-free per se. They may be, but that's not why we wont see their games here, at least not the sole reason. The reason we wont see many games here is not a single reason but a collection of many reasons which will vary from game to game, publisher to publisher and also various legal issues as well.

I'd love to see games like Fallout 4 show up here on day one too, but realistically a company putting out a game like that has many concerns, and not just the obvious one concerning piracy and DRM, but rather the distribution platform as a whole, the quality of service, providing a unified or quite similar experience to all of their customers no matter where they might be buying the game from etc. For some companies/games they would not want customers who buy the game from distributor A to have a vastly different experience from buying from distributor B for example.

Right now for many games, the experience for buying the game on Steam is different in many ways than buying it on GOG. For example, Full Spectrum Warrior games on GOG.com don't have multiplayer support anymore since they used to use GameSpy I believe, so they were released here with no multiplayer. They were updated with Steam multiplayer support on Steam however. Sure, they could add GOG Galaxy multiplayer but Galaxy is not a remotely stable released product yet and the time and effort to do the work costs money and time they may not be willing to do until GOG has a competitive released product.

I suspect that the majority of new customers coming to the GOG site now will download and install the Galaxy client because it is advertised heavily everywhere across the site and most gamers are not only comfortable with gaming clients but they desire them and expect them (as evidenced by Steam being the largest online distribution platform by far, and the Steam client being mandatory and people using it). So people will end up using Galaxy and then suffering from the tonne of quality problems it has because it is a beta release and not a finished product. Some companies desperate to increase sales in new untapped markets such as GOG's DRM-free revolution will of course come here anyway because they see it as a bigger opportunity for their own products. But the biggest game publishers out there know that their popular titles will sell like fire on Steam regardless so the incentive for them to come to GOG right now is not that high, and if they were to look into it in any depth they will see how many problems people have with downloading, installing, upgrading the games and may conclude that GOG is just not yet offering a service that is on par with their expectations and their perception of their customers expectations.

Don't get me wrong though, I love GOG and am happy with what we have here and seeing it grow personally and I'd love to see such games come here regardless. I'm just trying to put myself in an external game publisher or developer's shoes for determining and speculating what might be important to them and whether or not the current service offering from GOG might meet all of what they potentially deem is important to them or their customers, noting also that different companies will perceive things differently and not all think the exact same ways.
JudasIscariot: Boy, you should be careful what ya wish for :P
fortune_p_dawg: make my wallet weep!
Aw yeah, my wallet has been naughty. It has been lazy and gained way too much weight as of late. Make it weep!
Post edited January 27, 2016 by Utuzuu
So Rise of the Tomb Raider gets released on PC on Thursday, maybe we will see Legend, Anniversary and Underworld?
JudasIscariot: Boy, you should be careful what ya wish for :P
anothername: Tall words. Bring it on! :D

Edit:
I raise it: If one of the above mentioned titles gets released by Feb 12 I'll make a franshise GA (i.e. Release SR4, I make a GA of all of them) :)
I'm beginning to see it that way too, lots of "steam" (sorry, but I had to!) and hype and nothing ever comes out of it. Here, have at least little inconsequential + from me. Won't take part in GA if the miracle happens, my wallet depth is just right to pay for my own entertainment, but GoG has to offer something. Pretty much the only games where I actively wait until they make their way here (and still have some amount of hope that the wait won't be in vain) are Oblivion/Skyrim/all missing Fallouts. That doesn't rule out buying surprise/indie releases here and there, but otherwise I'm about finished with the current catalogue.
skeletonbow: ...
Well thought-out wall of text; consider saving it so you don't have to type it up again if it's relevant again elsewhere. ;-)

The-Business: So Rise of the Tomb Raider gets released on PC on Thursday, maybe we will see Legend, Anniversary and Underworld?
That'd be neat.
Post edited January 27, 2016 by tfishell
Hmm, there's a whole bunch of "special streams" scheduled for Thursday:
http://teamup.com/kse3cd10acc46016fc/

I hope something big is coming. :)