It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
kai2: I just can't believe the amount of weaponized down-voting in threads about...

... people's favorite games, GOG requests, giveaways, etc...

I understand down-voting if a person is clearly breaking GOG forum rules... or if they show consistently poor and disruptive behavior...

... but...

... harassing people because you simply don't like them is wrong.

I see people down-voted for being helpful, for congratulating others, and for offering to a discussion. It's crazy... and not how the reputation system was meant to be used.
SOME use it the proper way(like Greasy here just below your post and others), but a few others hold grudges or think they know how the site SHOULD be run(An example[I cannot think of one for someone else, so i'll use one of mine]: Some even chastised the mods for not closing some of my threads, instead of respecting their calls on interpreting the site's rules), so they down rate to show displeasure at some and the site itself(Also some others just like to troll, most likely).

kai2: It was meant to be an "early warning" system for mods but has become a weapon to harass and drive people from the site... often used by people interpreting GOG rules incorrectly. The sad thing is that many abusing the system in fact think they're justified in doing so. They feel it's fine to use their electronic scarlet letter to discredit people they see as their "foes."
It was also put in place to highlight which users made very helpful posts or very bad posts, so people knew who to trust more....it's not so much the case any more.

kai2: There's more than enough room on this forum for all opinions, types of people (respect), and game discussions. There is no room here for harassment.
Agreed, but many who might care left the site long ago due to various changes in gog policy and forum problems including the ones you mention, and the ones left mostly either don't want to get a target painted on them as well or are too busy/lazy to bother trying to get involved.
=======================

GreasyDogMeat: I press the negative button to close posts because my mouse wheel is broken. It makes scrolling down a lot easier. That's what it's for... right?
You know, you've unintentionally made a good point with this.....a hide button(where one could hide posts but NOT low rate) would be very helpful for some cases here.
Post edited December 07, 2019 by GameRager
Some people just have a weird issue with literally anything and everything another human being posts on a forum. I've seen this sort of stuff happen on numerous forums over the years, and it generally ends up stopping itself given sufficient time, mostly because the people doing it realize that noone's even paying attention to it anymore.
low rated
GameRager: Did you send all this to gog/Lexrust? It might help more if you sent it to them as they might not be reading this thread.
Not specifically. I don't know who the the blues are anymore; And after how i was treated, i don't exactly trust any of them.

But the general principle should be sound, just a matter of doing some SELECT queries and then if they all include certain users or not. Then again if bots have a pool of say 100 and only 20 are used on any particular post, then it would be slightly more difficult and spread out, but not too hard to find the same results but spread against what would be multiple groups or reoccurring patterns.
Forget about Aquarius, this is the Age of Fragility.
low rated
rtcvb32: Not specifically. I don't know who the the blues are anymore; And after how i was treated, i don't exactly trust any of them.
Well it's worth a shot, at any rate...regardless, it's nice of you to try doing something/suggest something.
GameRager: Well it's worth a shot, at any rate...regardless, it's nice of you to try doing something/suggest something.
As a programmer who did some web stuff and understands databases (structure/usage/principles) to a decent enough degree, it's easy enough to infer what needs to be done. I just don't have any of the access/authority to actually do it. Though some of the database layout is easy enough to guess.
low rated
rtcvb32: As a programmer who did some web stuff and understands databases (structure/usage/principles) to a decent enough degree, it's easy enough to infer what needs to be done. I just don't have any of the access/authority to actually do it. Though some of the database layout is easy enough to guess.
Must be nice to be so smart.....I wanted to be become a game maker but more the graphics and text writing parts, but all the local college had was programming, which I suck at.

(Also check yer PM for a funny clip pertaining to these posts of ours. :))
GameRager: .a hide button(where one could hide posts but NOT low rate) would be very helpful for some cases here.
No, having the option to hide a post is almost as bad as having an option to down rate a post. Again, giving normal users too much power is generally a bad idea. Only mods should have that kind of power. If someone creates total 'Texas' as we Norwegians say, then active mods should be there to judge what's best for that case.

Same with the justice system - we have trained judges (usually impartial) and not common people to judge/decide over others.

Apropos; “Texas” Means Crazy In Norway.

It should be noted that it means crazy like in the 19th century cowboy kind of way. The expression stem from early western films, and not based on modern Texans. :D
Post edited December 08, 2019 by sanscript
low rated
GameRager: .a hide button(where one could hide posts but NOT low rate) would be very helpful for some cases here.
sanscript: No, having the option to hide a post is almost as bad as having an option to down rate a post. Again, giving normal users too much power is generally a bad idea. Only mods should have that kind of power. If someone creates total 'Texas' as we Norwegians say, then active mods should be there to judge what's best for that case.

Same with the justice system - we have trained judges (usually impartial) and not common people to judge/decide over others.

Apropos; “Texas” Means Crazy In Norway.

It should be noted that it means crazy like in the 19th century cowboy kind of way. The expression stem from early western films, and not based on modern Texans. :D
I agree with not trying to hide a post or downrating it. it means giving the stupid a sense of power without bothered to make a good manner comment or a counter-argument in general if they disagree on things. You can see that now with Disqus where people get downvoted by just stating something inoffensive or inappropriate cause people just have a different opinion but won't voice it so they cowardly downrate things.

My country has judges that decide the penalty but even those are bias towards certain factors even one Judge who was a known activist let of a rapist of lightly because of his cultural background so the notion that Trained judges are better is a fantasy. This new generation of judges in Europe is nothing more than activists trying to virtue signal.

Seeing how bias people can be, can be seen by the big tech company's who have bias mods or even mainstream news for that matter.
low rated
sanscript: No, having the option to hide a post is almost as bad as having an option to down rate a post. Again, giving normal users too much power is generally a bad idea. Only mods should have that kind of power. If someone creates total 'Texas' as we Norwegians say, then active mods should be there to judge what's best for that case.
I think you mistook what I meant....I meant people should just have a button to hide posts for them alone......sort of like jerkmuter, but on a post by post basis. That way they only hide posts for themselves.
low rated
GameRager: I think you mistook what I meant.....
No, I didn't ;)

In my mind the/a site owner should focus on or enforce the positive, not the negative.
low rated
sanscript: In my mind the/a site owner should focus on or enforce the positive, not the negative.
I agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

IMHO all ways of negatively impacting posts or forum members should be removed with only a "report" button. The site owner (mods) should make all determinations as to whether posts adhere to rules and whether forum members should be blocked, banned, or sanctioned.

Currently the system allows abuse and harassment, or as my Grandfather used to say "The inmates are running the asylum."

As for threads people don't like... er... don't read 'em. I read about 1 in 10 threads because only 1 in 10 interests me. I don't see the problem. Now, should GOG make a better forum search function? That I would be all for!
Post edited December 08, 2019 by kai2
low rated
sanscript: No, I didn't ;)

In my mind the/a site owner should focus on or enforce the positive, not the negative.
Eh, I still think it'd be better if people could hide posts for only themselves and not everyone(which is what it is now essentially with enough low ratings). :)

(As in people could hide posts they dislike on their end/on their screen alone and no one else's)

kai2: IMHO all ways of negatively impacting posts or forum members should be removed with only a "report" button. The site owner (mods) should make all determinations as to whether posts adhere to rules and whether forum members should be blocked, banned, or sanctioned.
Including being able to hide posts for one's own viewing alone? To me that doesn't seem like it'd impact anyone else if no one knew it was going on.

kai2: As for threads people don't like... er... don't read 'em. I read about 1 in 10 threads because only 1 in 10 interests me. I don't see the problem.
People might still want to hide some posts(on their end) so they don't see them in some threads(insults/spam/etc)....to me that'd seem fair enough and better than what we have now.
Post edited December 08, 2019 by GameRager
low rated
I got bored, so I MS-Painted this artist's rendition of the latest, trendiest gog forum game: DeReppa The Reppa!
Attachments:
Reading the replies here to the OP made me mindful of that Black Mirror episode called Nosedive; I thoght that was a great story based on the broader implications of people rating one another on social media platforms and the ensuing petty, but incredibly damaging, factionalism.
Post edited December 09, 2019 by lolinc